• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

alejob

Looks like it's still on track to release on the 14th.

http://socom.us.playstation.com/post/2008/10/SOCOM-Confrontation-Public-Beta-Extended.aspx

Early next week, we will be releasing the SOCOM Confrontation Public Beta 1.50 Patch. In order to have ample time to test it, we are extending the Public Beta until midnight PDT Thursday, October 9th. We will have more details on the patch itself soon.

We are using these extra few days to test the patch but we are still on schedule to release in North America on October 14th. We appreciate all of your feedback and hope you have been enjoying the Public Beta.

Regards,
SOCOM Confrontation Online Team

Hope they got the bugs fixed on 1.5

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I actually hope they don't patch the beta, as the patches have just made the game worse (i now notice that I'm getting shot through walls, knifed by corpses, kills are not being registered, shooting people in the face with RPGs isn't doing shit, etc, etc...).

At the beginning of the beta, it was a hassle to get into a game - but once the game got rolling it was awesome (unless it was a night level of course). Now it's just a complete mess most of the time.

I hope that Sony see some sense and delay this until December or January. Mainly due to the fact that SOCOM is going to be completely overlooked in October and November by the 10-20 guaranteed AAA titles, but also because if the beta is any reflection on how the actual game is going to be - it's going to make the first week of Warhawk and CoD4 PS3 look smooth. But I figure that Sony are just using SOCOM as a method of selling headsets in the run-up to Christmas so it's going to be a release-now-patch-later love affair.

If there's any Gaffers playing this in January then I'll probably pick it up then.

Until then you'll find me playing this beta until it ends. It's like a sore tooth, I just can't help touching it.

1-D_FTW

My first time playing wasn't exactly a success. It took quite a while for the level to actually load. Then when it did, I saw 2 guys lagging horribly on screen for 3 seconds. Then everyone was kicked back to the Lobby. Figured I wasn't gonna wait for the host to start a new round so we could do that again. Here's hoping it gets better.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Just when you thought the game couldn't get any more broken, Slant Six have proven us wrong with 1.50.

I gave up trying to join a game after I received the "Something happened, statistic tracking and some community features not available" error about fifteen times in a row. I got it five times before the main menu even appeared for fucks sake. I understand that statistic tracking has always been broken, but at least before the 1.50 patch I only ever received this error once and then it let me get on with the game.

So my last post still stands. Get this shit finished before you even dare to charge money for it Sony.

wow, this patch fucked some shit up for real. I keep getting a error message like 10 times a minute even while I am in a match. The shit has got me killed more than a few times. The game was running fine during the last patch except it didn't keep track of stats. They have 7 days to fix this shit and the better hook it up.

dralla

There are no games in December, I'd have no problem with a December 16th release date in order to fix the bugs.

I love the core gameplay they have and I can not wait to play all the maps, but if it's not ready, it's not ready, no need to rush it.

mr stroke

dralla said:
There are no games in December, I'd have no problem with a December 16th release date in order to fix the bugs.

I love the core gameplay they have and I can not wait to play all the maps, but if it's not ready, it's not ready, no need to rush it.

+1
Perfect Dec release..nothing coming out then, and perfect for them to drop it right before x-mas

AndyD

aka andydumi
mr stroke said:
+1
Perfect Dec release..nothing coming out then, and perfect for them to drop it right before x-mas

Unfortunately it has to come out with the headset bundle... I am now doubting whether to get this.. I want the headset, but the game is far from being ready for release.

am i seriously the only one who doesnt get any problems with the patches?:lol :lol

the 1.4 patch apparently broke the scoreboard for most everybody,yet my scoreboard showed up fine. sucked bigtime once i told my teammates though cause every 5 mins they wanted to know how many kills they had:lol

then today with the 1.50 patch i hear evryone complaining about error pop-ups that dont stop, yet for some reason my beta runs smoother than ever. i cant even think of anything thats wrong with game, yet everyone else has tons of problems....makes no sense:lol

Doel

They are working on a fix for the 1.50 patch.

And ya, not everyone is having problems, but I definitely was.

After experiencing what this Beta had to offer, I will gladly say.. I will not be purchasing this title. "It's a Beta!"-- I know but holy hell, the game is very close to release and sorry, but I seriously don't see things getting any better.

I love the Hunter or be Hunted feel, the fact that I can actually accurately aim in any direction I move (*Cough* MGO *Cough*)..But the loading times, the random drops, the bugs, etc. Is this build terribly out of shape?

What was once a day 1 purchase is now a "Wait and see", I'll be on the lookout for reviews and a variety of impressions.

AndyD

aka andydumi
dralla said:
Well, the bundle is only 10 bucks more than the headset so it would be stupid not to get it.

Thats what I mean, so if they delay the game... it will delay my headset purchase...

Nightz

dralla said:
Well, the bundle is only 10 bucks more than the headset so it would be stupid not to get it.
Yup, even if you don't want the game, you'll probably be able to get more than 10 bucks in trade-in credit at Gamestop.

KZObsessed

Saw this on Play.com. UK.

5800722x.jpg

£30 with headset.

Muddimar

So me and a friend of mine tried to find the Socom demo on the playstation network, and couldn't find anything but trailers. Is there a special beta code you have to have to download the demo? Did they take the Socom demo down?

dralla

Hi, Folks-

I want to first thank you again for helping us find the bugs in this Beta. It's impossible to know how things are going to go until we have a large number of people online and playing, no matter how much testing we do internally. I know these last couple of days have been difficult, but take heart in knowing that you all helped us find some issues that now will not be there when the game launches on the 14th!

I have already told you we are working to fix these issues. We are testing a new patch and hope it will be ready for release by tomorrow (Thursday) morning. We'll keep you informed and let you know more details about that soon, on SOCOM.com. But I also wanted to tell you that we will be extending the Beta just a little longer. Instead of ending on Thursday, it will be going on until Saturday night at midnight PDT. So you will have just a little while longer to help us test things out before release.

Thanks again for being willing to play our unfinished product in order to help us find what needed fixed. I hope you enjoy the full game when it is released!

KiNeSiS

Banned
I wish I had a key to test until saturday.
The 1st game I played online was the original Socom.
I will definitely be getting this w/ the toys are us deal.

Doel

1.60 patch is up.

I have a meeting to go to in an hour, but I should be back after that to check it out. Hopefully it's playable this time.

GQman2121

Banned
dralla said:
oh don't worry, I'll check it out!

I wouldn't waste my time mate. People are saying it's now freezing before they can even get into a game. Just random freezes that lock up the system.

I can't wait to see how they thing is going to review..........

dralla

I just played a few games with no problems, aside from that 1 second freeze that happens occasionally..which I fucking HATE

Greg

GQman2121 said:
I wouldn't waste my time mate. People are saying it's now freezing before they can even get into a game. Just random freezes that lock up the system.

I can't wait to see how they thing is going to review..........
And this is why they don't let everyone play unfinished games...

This, for the most part, is what online betas consist of - stressing the shit out of the servers and troubleshooting from there. Problems are going to happen, and opening it up to the masses prior to release is the best way to be prepared for it.

Warhawk is one of the best examples of this (PC or console). It locked systems randomly, had ridiculous amounts of input delay, voice chat was broken, numerous game joining errors... and now it's one of the smoothest online experiences next to Resistance.

GQman2121

Banned
Greg said:

This, for the most part, is what online betas consist of - stressing the shit out of the servers and troubleshooting from there. Problems are going to happen, and opening it up to the masses prior to release is the best way to be prepared for it.

Warhawk is one of the best examples of this (PC or console). It locked systems randomly, had ridiculous amounts of input delay, voice chat was broken, numerous game joining errors... and now it's one of the smoothest online experiences next to Resistance.

I'm referring to the beta it's self mate; not the final game.

I assume that the game that is already in some reviewers hands plays much better than the code that the beta is running on.

dralla

delete your saved game files from the XMB and everything should work ok. I just played some games with no disconnect problems.

Ramirez

Greg said:

Not buying this, I played the Halo 3 & COD4 beta and they both performed extremely well, and in Halo's case was MONTHS away from releasing. This game is coming out in a few days!

As someone else said, I was day one as well, but I think I'll wait until they get everything ironed out before I jump in.

Ramirez said:
Not buying this, I played the Halo 3 & COD4 beta and they both performed extremely well, and in Halo's case was MONTHS away from releasing. This game is coming out in a few days!

As someone else said, I was day one as well, but I think I'll wait until they get everything ironed out before I jump in.

maybe because the cod4 and halo3 beta were mostly publicity stunts just to get attention for for the game. they had already been through their actual "beta" testing period so most big problems were gone. the only proof needed is to look at another ps3 game, warhawk, which had way bigger problems in beta but now its become the standard for online on ps3.

Doel

aj2good4you2 said:
maybe because the cod4 and halo3 beta were mostly publicity stunts just to get attention for for the game. they had already been through their actual "beta" testing period so most big problems were gone. the only proof needed is to look at another ps3 game, warhawk, which had way bigger problems in beta but now its become the standard for online on ps3.
Exactly.

People are getting spoiled by phony betas. SOCOM Confrontation Beta, is, ACTUALLY, a beta. Just as Warhawk was.

dralla

Doel said:
Exactly.

People are getting spoiled by phony betas. SOCOM Confrontation Beta, is, ACTUALLY, a beta. Just as Warhawk was.

the problem isn't the shitty-ness of the beta, it's that the game comes out in 3 days, there's no chance they can fix all the problems that fast. the beta as it currently stands is unplayable, how can anyone expect the game to be up and working so quickly, especially since we didn't get to test the matchmaking or parties. it's just very hard to believe the game will be ready so soon.

Ramirez

Doel said:
Exactly.

Give me a break. If this is a "true" beta, then how in the hell do you expect all of these problems to be gone before it launches? I mean really.

dralla said:
the problem isn't the shitty-ness of the beta, it's that the game comes out in 3 days, there's no chance they can fix all the problems that fast. the beta as it currently stands is unplayable, how can anyone expect the game to be up and working so quickly, especially since we didn't get to test the matchmaking or parties. it's just very hard to believe the game will be ready so soon.

Warhawk was just as bad, but come launch day, it pretty much kicked ass!

cameltoe

strange, Im getting an error message "this content cannot be accessed on this account"

I was getting that all day yesterday...I havent played in a week or so and come back to this message. Was I Socom banned!!??

Nightz

cameltoe said:
strange, Im getting an error message "this content cannot be accessed on this account"

I was getting that all day yesterday...I havent played in a week or so and come back to this message. Was I Socom banned!!??
The beta ended last night.

Top Bottom