• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter |OT| Better late than never; buy it now!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Looking forward to everyone's impressions until Amazon.ca decides to ship my copy to me.

Hello from Amazon.ca.

We wanted to let you know there's a delay with one or more items in the order you placed on [redacted].

"Solatorobo Red the Hunter"
Estimated ship date: October 17 2011 - October 28 2011
Second time in a month this has happened, but I get the feeling that it might be due to the French packaging issue. I want my soundtrack CD, though, so I hope I get it.

I noticed on GameStop.ca's site that Solatorobo isn't out in Canada until Oct 5th, so it seems likely that it is due to a French packaging issue.

M-PG71C

UPS would have delivered mine Friday but I wasn't here and didn't leave a notice to leave it at the front door, so I have to wait till tomorrow.

Sucks ass but I can't wait for it to get here! It'll have to wait a bit as I continue to play Xenoblade and Kirby Mass Attack but its high up on my agenda. I have to support XSEED so getting it day one is no regret at all, especially for this game. Time to relive the days of Tail Concerto!

Does anyone know the deal with Solartorobo and Play-Asia? I pre-ordered it but they still have the game on pre-order with a release date on "Sept. 2011." I emailed them last Saturday and they still haven't responded. I am thinking they are just late to respond because of the weekend, but has anyone else heard anything?

Sallokin

Just placed my order on Amazon. Glad this game got brought to my attention because it looks utterly charming.

EDIT: HOLY BALLS! I did not realize that this was a sequel of sorts to Tail Concerto. I'm getting old if this kind of shit is slipping past me.

TheShampion said:
Does anyone know the deal with Solartorobo and Play-Asia? I pre-ordered it but they still have the game on pre-order with a release date on "Sept. 2011." I emailed them last Saturday and they still haven't responded. I am thinking they are just late to respond because of the weekend, but has anyone else heard anything?
I'm only guessing, but based on the delays everyone's having there may be a problem with fulfilling enough stock to every retailer. Bodes well for the game's sales expectations, though!

meltingparappa said:
I'm only guessing, but based on the delays everyone's having there may be a problem with fulfilling enough stock to every retailer. Bodes well for the game's sales expectations, though!
I am glad the game is doing well, but I better get my copy sooner than later :l

Or at least get an email from Play-Asia, jeeze. Unless you are an employee there, I am kinda pissed they haven't said anything yet. Oh well, at least I have good posters like yourself on the Neogaf to comfort my fears.

meltingparappa said:

Or it was just a very small print run.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TheShampion said:
Or at least get an email from Play-Asia, jeeze. Unless you are an employee there, I am kinda pissed they haven't said anything yet.
So you emailed them last Saturday, and not yesterday? I'm a little surprised that they haven't replied to you yet then. They seem to reply quickly when I send them emails. I'd send their customer service another (cordial) email using their site's "contact us" page if I were you.

I'm to the 5th location in the game (forget the name, mining city) and I'm wondering if the way you progress varies a bit more past this point. Does the method of progression rely mostly on the quests for most of the game? Maybe it's okay for a portable game, but it feels like as soon as I'm getting into the action bits they end.

Dark Schala said:
So you emailed them last Saturday, and not yesterday? I'm a little surprised that they haven't replied to you yet then. They seem to reply quickly when I send them emails. I'd send their customer service another (cordial) email using their site's "contact us" page if I were you.
Also they could literally be waiting on a quick reply from whoever oversees distribution at Xseed to try and give you an estimate on when you'd get your copy.

With it being the weekend and all, there are a lot of potential offices being closed until Monday.

As a pal user finishing the game right now I would say that the game is really good but it has its faults.
Its too easy and there are some things in the game that would have make them awesome if you would have seen more of it (like some characters, and better use nof the cities and dungeons).

Also in dont think it was a good idea
splitting the game in two parts ala gurren lagann, yeah, with the story it makes sense, but the first story seems lacking and rushed and the gameplay of the first part just one big ass tutorial.

Making the game a little more ambitious could have made this game an awesome one.

Also plane racing SUCKS ASS! Worst controls ever.

mavs

patrickthehedgehog said:
I'm to the 5th location in the game (forget the name, mining city) and I'm wondering if the way you progress varies a bit more past this point. Does the method of progression rely mostly on the quests for most of the game? Maybe it's okay for a portable game, but it feels like as soon as I'm getting into the action bits they end.

Not really. What you get in the mine is pretty much the template for the rest of the game. It's starting to seem like parts of older Kirby games.

fernoca

Well, after a few hours of doing nothing, eating and watching TV...finished the OT; for now.... I guess. Could be better in many ways; but for something at the last minute guess is not too bad. :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
SpacePirate Ridley said:
As a pal user finishing the game right now I would say that the game is really good but it has its faults.
Its too easy and there are some things in the game that would have make them awesome if you would have seen more of it (like some characters, and better use nof the cities and dungeons).

Also in dont think it was a good idea
splitting the game in two parts ala gurren lagann, yeah, with the story it makes sense, but the first story seems lacking and rushed and the gameplay of the first part just one big ass tutorial.

Making the game a little more ambitious could have made this game an awesome one.

Also plane racing SUCKS ASS! Worst controls ever.

Maybe if it was in a console, it'd probably be bigger.

Say, what was that rumor again on "lying to get this released"?

fernoca

Ookami-kun said:
Say, what was that rumor again on "lying to get this released"?
From what I've seen; there was no "lie" per se.
Maybe someone else knows more details; but it was something like CC2 wanting to do and even pitching a sequel to Tail Concerto, Namco saying "lol no, Tail Concerto bombed"; so they basically made one anyway based on the same universe without the Tail Concerto name.

Spwn

Ordered the NA version without realizing it's a DSi enhanced title. The PAL version is pretty hard to come by and it was cheaper for me to order from NA. Fortunately I'm a phat user so the game being DSi enhanced won't affect me, but what are the DSi features? Something to do with the camera? Anything significant?

Boss Doggie

fernoca said:
From what I've seen; there was no "lie" per se.
Maybe someone else knows more details; but it was something like CC2 wanting to do and even pitching a sequel to Tail Concerto, Namco saying "lol no, Tail Concerto bombed"; so they basically made one anyway based on the same universe without the Tail Concerto name.

Ahh, so essentially just the third story in the Bronx saga XD

Spwn said:
Ordered the NA version without realizing it's a DSi enhanced title. The PAL version is pretty hard to come by and it was cheaper for me to order from NA. Fortunately I'm a phat user so the game being DSi enhanced won't affect me, but what are the DSi features? Something to do with the camera? Anything significant?

It just lets you take a picture at the beginning that sticks to your save file. Nothing much.

In fact, I prefer the default Red save icon that goes there otherwise.

On chapter 7, and I'm enjoying it so far. It's nice how they've been mixing up the towns and action, as every location I've visited has some unique theme to it (Waterway-based town, mining town, town built around honey-producing mushrooms,
battleship graveyard
slum). The 2D/3D hybrid cartoony style actually ends up working really well for just about every area. I also really liked the flying quests, there's just something about being able to "hop" from tiny floating island to tiny floating island. I could live without the racing though, especially since the items and hitting the borders can get so annoying. Combat is simple and easy, especially since I've concentrated on upgrading Hydraulics, but at the same time, it doesn't feel dull or repetitive.

*chuckle* Star Dogs Cafe.
Oh, and the Duel Ship referee had another Gundam reference:
- Before one of the matches, I think the second round of the third set, the Ref calls Red (Paraphrasing) "The Red Comet cutting through the clouds of the infinite beyond." Red Comet?

TheShampion said:
It just showed up as in stock, but there are only two copies left.

neopokekun said:
It just showed up as in stock, but there are only two copies left.
Yeah, they are preparing my order my order now (I preordered), and I just got an email from them. I was worried there for a second, but now I can't wait to finally see what the buzz is all about.

Yeah, Play Asia is usually pretty good with emails, but I guess somebody just took a day off. No worries from me, as long as I get my game.

I can't play the US version on a EU 3DS, right? I know, that I can't play US 3DS games, but I'm not really informed about playing DS games. If not, I still can find an original DS.(EU version is sold out, and the US version looks sexy)

sfried

Wait a sec...people are just getting their copies right now?

Man, I must've been the lucky ones who pre-ordered early.

fernoca

Well, had to pull a few strings since I'm broke; but this game deserved it!

Success!! :)

91nQo.jpg

fernoca

Really liking this so far. Love the character (designs, look, etc.) and the music' great. Visually looks great on the 3Ds too. Native of course looks better and sharp, stretched looks nice; everything that's not 2D at least. :p Controls great with the analog nub too.

Quick question, where's the option for 'Quest Download'? It says it's on the main menu, yet I don't see it. And for that matter, what's the schedule of download/release?

sfried

fernoca said:
Quick question, where's the option for 'Quest Download'? It says it's on the main menu, yet I don't see it. And for that matter, what's the schedule of download/release?
Quest download is only for EU versions. But not to worry: The DLC comes already pre-loaded on the US cart.

M3d10n

Alright, I bite. I'm not too keen on the furries, but I cannot resist such well crafted PSX-era throwback. I just ordered this but I put Layton 4 in the same order, so they're only shipping it in the 17th. Let's hope the store holds onto my copy until there.

sfried

M3d10n said:
Alright, I bite. I'm not too keen on the furries, but I cannot resist such well crafted PSX-era throwback.
StarFox 64 technically has "furries". Does it make it a bad game?

This game is utterly addictive in its own right. I don't mind the constant repetition of throwing stuff since that's the main shtick of the game. There's tons of stuff to do, and I love how all the quests are in bite-sized proportions, fitting for a handheld.

Honestly, the people who associate this with furry fandom are sick.

fernoca

sfried said:
Quest download is only for EU versions. But not to worry: The DLC comes already pre-loaded on the US cart.
Oh, that's interesting. Guess they forgot to fix that into the US version; since the first time you save you're told to look for the Quest Download on the Main Menu.. XD

Good to know, thanks. :p

I'm impressed by how much detail went into the packaging alone. I got my copy in the mail today, so I'll be playing it very soon.

I'm on chapter 7, and I'm not enjoying the game. I can respect that it's a labor of love, but it's just not doing it for me. So far it just feels like busy work.

Boss Doggie

fernoca said:
Oh, that's interesting. Guess they forgot to fix that into the US version; since the first time you save you're told to look for the Quest Download on the Main Menu.. XD

Good to know, thanks. :p

Although I think you have to finish the game first... or not?

nckillthegrimace said:
I'm on chapter 7, and I'm not enjoying the game. I can respect that it's a labor of love, but it's just not doing it for me. So far it just feels like busy work.

I really hate to admit it, but I'm afraid I feel the same way. Beautiful looking and beautiful sounding game with cute characters, but the gameplay leaves my eyes glazed over and the story bits are an exercise in scrolling through text. I want to love this game so badly, but I think gameplay might be a little too dumbed down.

I'm gonna continue to play it and I'll happily report in if my mind changes, otherwise I'll let this party continue.

M-PG71C

Damn, leave it to XSEED to show Atlus how to do an free OST right. There's a reason why I nearly buy everything they publish, thanks again XSEED if someone from here is reading this.

polg

fernoca said:
Why? What happened? Some stores in the US still have them in-stock.

I was in the UK, and I saw a store that had it but didn't get it. After that, I kinda told myself "next time I see it, I'll buy it". This never happened, all stores had sold out :(

I kinda wanted a PAL one to play on my 3DS.

Boss Doggie

Damn, still none in our local shops.

Maybe we're hit with the "no stocks available" thing =/

survivor

Banned
Highly considering replaying the game. I have few sidequests that I didn't finish but I don't think I will care that much.

Top Bottom