• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter |OT| Better late than never; buy it now!

RedSwirl

Holy crap. Just started playing my GameFly copy and this game has started out really strong.

Incredible art direction.
Smooth controls and framerate.
Unique combat system.

This is the first time in a while I've seen pre-rendered backgrounds used so well in conjunction with 3D assets. That really describes the game's entire visual style.

Hopefully I can make a decision as to whether or not I'll be able to devote time to this game because I'll probably be able to buy my GF copy for a little over $20 and probably still get the first run packaging. Same thing happened with Radiant Historia.

survivor

Banned
SpaceBridge said:
Im confused. Is this an RPG? Or an adventure game in the vain of Zelda, with towns to explore and quests to do?
You explore towns, the game generally progresses by you doing enough sidequests to do the major quest of each town and so on. There is an upgrade system to your robot which improves any of the 4 attributes and leveling up increases your HP bar.

Though really the whole stats portion of the game is pretty much nonexistent as you can probably get fine in the game without touching the upgrades. You will have some trouble with the boss fights, but if you get their pattern right you can easily beat them.

So I dunno, I guess maybe it's like Zelda but with a minor stats upgrades progress? I never played the Zelda games outside of the ones on the DS so I'm not the best person to make the comparison.

bubnbob

Banned
SpaceBridge said:
Im confused. Is this an RPG? Or an adventure game in the vain of Zelda, with towns to explore and quests to do?

It's just a generic action game with fetch quests... so Zelda

SpaceBridge said:
It's an Action RPG. There's the light levelling up/experience system and upgrade systems (useless though for the most part). And of course there are loads of towns to explore. It has all the elements Zelda has but the focus is very very different. For example, exploration and especially puzzle solving is fairly minimal here compared to the average Zelda, while side-quests are rich and varied.

But the progression is very different from Zelda. In Solatorbo: You go to the Quest Broker -> Do quests -> Increase your rank -> move to story quest -> repeat. The game thrives in how varied and fresh the quest system makes the gameplay feel.

bubnbob said:
It's just a generic action game with fetch quests... so Zelda
5/10

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ookami-kun said:
I honestly think my country has been affected by the lack of stocks.
So do I. Looks like I won't be able to play this until November... or unless I luck out and magically find a copy within the week. I really wanted that soundtrack CD.

I will not deny that it ticks me off. I really wanted something new (portable-wise) to play during Thanksgiving weekend.

To people who are playing: how is the music, anyway?

fernoca

SpaceBridge said:
Thanks for the answers guys.

Oh and Fernoca, this is a great OT. You should make more.
Hehehe. Thanks.
Well, this one was a "last minute OT"..like with MotoHeroz.

I did an actual OT (with some time ahead) for Mortal Kombat though. But I had a lot of limitations back then; like doing 95% of it on a 10 inches netbook with very few RAM and a small-ass screen. :p

Oh I just started playing and I'm really enjoying it. Thanks XSEED :D

EDIT: Wow, so fought my first boss, and that was cool. I really love the control mechanic of this game.

^_^

Tyeforce

Dark Schala said:
To people who are playing: how is the music, anyway?
The music is amazing. I love the vocal songs, they're just beautiful. It's hard to believe that they created music like this for a DS game.

Tyeforce said:
The music is amazing. I love the vocal songs, they're just beautiful. It's hard to believe that they created music like this for a DS game.
Someone needs to play The World Ends with You... ;-)

Tyeforce

SecretMoblin said:
Someone needs to play The World Ends with You... ;-)
Funny you mention that, I actually just started playing TWEwY a few weeks ago. Haven't made it very far yet, there are just too many new games keeping me from playing it more, lol. But yeah, that game is the only other example I can think of. Elite Beat Agents had some good music, too, but those were all covers and they were compressed as hell, with no official soundtrack release.

Just picked up my copy. The store I went to got only two copies and they were both still there AND had the soundtrack CD... Feel bad for this game not getting more attention!

I beat the game earlier today (With all quests completed,
including that very last one where Red and the orphans make a crane origami chain with the assistance of most of the major NPCs you met in the game.
), and I have to say, although aspects of the game annoyed me, such as the constant handholding and the lack of real difficulty
with the possible exception of the second boss rush
, I really loved playing this game, thanks to the characters, music, and aesthetics.

Tyeforce

For those of you also playing the game, what are the best parts to spend your money on? I haven't customized my Dahak at all because I don't know which parts are best. I'm so afraid of wasting my money and Power Crystals, lol.

mavs

Tyeforce said:
For those of you also playing the game, what are the best parts to spend your money on? I haven't customized my Dahak at all because I don't know which parts are best. I'm so afraid of wasting my money and Power Crystals, lol.

Get the +50 mobility thing from the dude outside the shop in Airedale. Then get hydraulics, and power once you have access to the +12 and up.

Tyeforce

mavs said:
Get the +50 mobility thing from the dude outside the shop in Airedale. Then get hydraulics, and power once you have access to the +12 and up.
Okay, thanks. Now I need to get 20,000 Rings. XD

Gaogaogao

Tyeforce said:

I just got the parts with the highest numbers on them until the very end, where 2 of the biggest pieces (for 50 pts) take up 9 blocks, and 2 take 7 (mobility being one), because you can add up blocks past 50 in the same space with 2 36 pt blocks that fit each other on one side, and some other tetris pieces on the other. didnt get to this until the end of my second playthrough, but theres probably a more efficient way.

survivor

Banned
The Tofunator said:
I beat the game earlier today (With all quests completed,
including that very last one where Red and the orphans make a crane origami chain with the assistance of most of the major NPCs you met in the game.
), and I have to say, although aspects of the game annoyed me, such as the constant handholding and the lack of real difficulty
with the possible exception of the second boss rush
, I really loved playing this game, thanks to the characters, music, and aesthetics.
I considered replaying the game without touching any of the upgrades to see if the game will be a bit more difficult, but I realized it will probably be easier for me since I already know what to expect.

I still got few quests left to do. That last quest you described sounds pretty cool.

Gaogaogao

survivor said:
I considered replaying the game without touching any of the upgrades to see if the game will be a bit more difficult, but I realized it will probably be easier for me since I already know what to expect.

I still got few quests left to do. That last quest you described sounds pretty cool.
do you really want to mash the a button any harder than you need to? btw, upgrade hydraulics requires less a button presses to lift guys.

survivor

Banned
Gaogaogao said:
do you really want to mash the a button any harder than you need to? btw, upgrade hydraulics requires less a button presses to lift guys.
Oh right I forgot about the hydraulics upgrade. Game is just gonna be more frustrating when I keep mashing the "A" button and have the enemy recover before I finish.

creid

Tyeforce said:
The music is amazing. I love the vocal songs, they're just beautiful.
There are vocal songS? I don't remember any, other than the OP, which I've only heard once... The sound effects in this game are jarringly low-fi.

Tyeforce

creid said:
There are vocal songS? I don't remember any, other than the OP, which I've only heard once... The sound effects in this game are jarringly low-fi.
There's a vocal ending theme. I haven't heard it in game yet, but it's on the soundtrack.

fernoca

4dawgs H-manga Translation Project; is translating the comics/4komas that were posted on the official (japanese) site.

There are 21 translated so far...
(Remember to read them from right to left)
2<----1
4<----3
(etc.)

LaVYS.png

Click the link posted above to see the rest. :)

Zafir

Sinthetic said:
Just bought it off the awful Game.co.uk site, I am wondering, do we get the amazing package with the CD in the UK?
Nah. It's just the game in the UK unfortunately.

fernoca

Also remember to read them from right to left. Going to add a note about that just in case. :p
2<----1
4<----3
(etc.)

Also added that the "cool packaging" is only in NTSC (US, Canada, etc.) versions.

I started this last night and played for a good two hours before I could put it down! This is such an incredibly polished little game. It never ceases to amaze me how Japanese devs manage to squeeze every ounce out of the DS.

Yuterald

Started playing this last night and I was blown away by it so far. This has to be the best looking DS game I've ever played. I loved Tail Concerto back in the day and I didn't expect to see cameos so quickly, pretty cool!

The game definitely seems easy so far, which I heard were the only complaints, but the game is soooo polished and fun that it doesn't really matter in the end. And holy shit at the OST, who composed this game? The music is fantastic!

Nekobo

I picked up this game the other day because of this thread. Sweet packaging! <3 XSeed. This will probably be my last DS purchase, too, so not a bad way way to go out.

I've only played it for about 30 minutes, but I'm impressed with the smooth visuals. Love the 90s anime aesthetic, too. Vibrant colors and brash characters go!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I finally have it!!!

Just a question though - what sort of animation did they use during cutscenes, the one that moved like flash?

fernoca

Ookami-kun said:
Just a question though - what sort of animation did they use during cutscenes, the one that moved like flash?
There are cutscenes that are "realtime" (polygons with textures and strong strokes to make them look like hand drawn). Don't know if you mean those.

ILQkT.png

Rarutos

I'm late, but glad to see an OT for this game! It's ridiculously pretty. I got distracted by Atelier Totori, so I think I'll get back to this very soon. :)

Famassu

Started playing it yesterday. Cool game, although there's a bit too much handhelding, as people have noted before. Only annoying thing is I had to find my launch DS Phat since this shit is region-locked DSi idiocy and doesn't work on 3DS. :|

Quick question, how many chapters are in the game? I think I'm in the sixth one. Just wondering how many I still have left.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
fernoca said:
There are cutscenes that are "realtime" (polygons with textures and strong strokes to make them look like hand drawn). Don't know if you mean those.

ILQkT.png

Ahh interesting, so they're still 3d models but much more detailed!

survivor

Banned
Famassu said:
Started playing it yesterday. Cool game, although there's a bit too much handhelding, as people have noted before. Only annoying thing is I had to find my launch DS Phat since this shit is region-locked DSi idiocy and doesn't work on 3DS. :|

Quick question, how many chapters are in the game? I think I'm in the sixth one. Just wondering how many I still have left.
Gonna spoil my answer just to be safe
14 left

I'm about 10 hours in and I have to say, this game is great. Nothing about it particularly stands out (other than maybe the art design) but the whole package is fantastic. I love doing quests in this floating island world and I love just going from place to place and exploring everything that is there.

The plot is a little 90's anime cliched, but that is something I haven't played for so long so it ends up being refreshing to me. I even love the mini-games and the variety that they bring. It has all the positive feel of a good PS1 game, but made with all the game design knowledge of a modern game. Stuff like no loading, doing more stuff in the game unlocking game lore, and the great pacing of the quest system leads to a great game experience. Basset so far has been my favorite island because even though it is supposed to be a dirty trash heap, it is really a beautiful place to explore (always being at dusk was such a great art choice). I even enjoy the fishing mini-game there a lot.

I would heartily recommend this to someone looking for a fun adventure on their DS.

Oooookay... so holy shit... just beat the first part of the game
AND THERE'S A WHOLE NOTHER GAME HERE?!
-- this game is crazy awesome!!

So is there any way to fully unlock the Dahak's engine? I'm near the end of the game (I guess, based on the number of chapters) but I still have plenty of blocks left to remove and nowhere near as much points as I would need. I've been dutifully completing every quest along the way, too, so I don't think I've missed any.

Top Bottom