• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter |OT| Better late than never; buy it now!

Temrer

Neo Member
Uncle Rupee said:
So is there any way to fully unlock the Dahak's engine? I'm near the end of the game (I guess, based on the number of chapters) but I still have plenty of blocks left to remove and nowhere near as much points as I would need. I've been dutifully completing every quest along the way, too, so I don't think I've missed any.

New Game+. You also unlock different "versions" of Dahak to play with that you can buy from the Duel Ship.

Temrer said:
New Game+. You also unlock different "versions" of Dahak to play with that you can buy from the Duel Ship.

aha... well, I guess I don't really need to upgrade it any more than it is. Game is a bit on the easy side...

Well, finished it finally. All told it took just past 22 hours for 100% completion. If the combat and puzzles were a little more involved than they are, this could have been a masterpiece. As it is, it is just a great game. I knew I wanted this game from way back when it wass announced in Japan, and it did not disappoint! DS and 3DS owners owe it to themselves to check this one out.

Hopefully CyberConnect2 won't wait another 10 years before they can make another one.

Cheska

Picked this up yesterday. I only played the prologue but it was fun enough for me to want to continue :) The anime cutscene was beautiful, are there more of those throughout the game?

creid

Finished this yesterday. Fun, but far from a must-play. Really liked the mecha design and style of the dual-screen cutscenes.

survivor

Banned
Cheska said:
Picked this up yesterday. I only played the prologue but it was fun enough for me to want to continue :) The anime cutscene was beautiful, are there more of those throughout the game?
You get a few more, but generally they are saved for big moments.

:lol At least I wasn't the only one who was turned off by the "furry" feel of it. Are all of the copies still the embossed ones that come with the CD? I was thinking about ordering it off of amazon but kind of wanted a "first run" one if I did.

Cheska

After putting a little bit more time into this game, I can truly say its got it's tiny little paws gripped onto me. It's just pure fun, and I, for one have been loving the music so far. It's not jaw-droppingly beautiful, but it puts me in a good mood :)

The weird thing is how much better this looks on my 3DS than my DSiXL, when usually its the exact opposite.

Can someone help me, I'm doing a mission where I have to fly a long distance "Wonders of the World" and I am unable to make it to the island before I plunge into oblivion and restart at the platform I took off from.

Thanks for the help...

MidnightScott said:
Can someone help me, I'm doing a mission where I have to fly a long distance "Wonders of the World" and I am unable to make it to the island before I plunge into oblivion and restart at the platform I took off from.

Thanks for the help...

Pay careful attention to where the nearest islands are on the map. You can't take the most direct route to your destination, but if you keep following the chain of islands you'll get there eventually.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Pay careful attention to where the nearest islands are on the map. You can't take the most direct route to your destination, but if you keep following the chain of islands you'll get there eventually.

*derp* why didn't I think of that? LOL *roll eyes* thanks :)

Cheska

So I'm a few hours in, currently hunter level 4, and I have a ton of cash. I've bought a couple of customization blocks, but I still find myself with a ton of money left over. Is it at all possible to buy the crystals that unlock more blocks? Or is there something else I should be spending my money on?

Edgeward

Later on you can fish for points to exchange for prizes, save the money to get some of those prizes as playing the game can cost 150-1000 depending on what rod you want to use.

NEO0MJ

Just finished, was pretty good and fun. Was hoping for more options when it came to customization. Funny thing about this game is that it's one the few games where the =3 face makes sense on the characters.

Finished...
the first part of the game. Holy crap I didn't pay attention to the opening, red turns into a human for some reason.

How much longer until I finish this game? :O

I love it though, it's awesome :D

MidnightScott said:
Finished...
the first part of the game. Holy crap I didn't pay attention to the opening, red turns into a human for some reason.

It's about the middle of the game. It gets even better afterward.

MidnightScott said:
Finished...

There are two openings; only the second shows Red turning into a human and other spoiler material for the second part.

You're at about the halfway point.

Definitely a charming game with a great world and characters.

hosannainexcelsis said:
There are two openings; only the second shows Red turning into a human and other spoiler material for the second part.

You're at about the halfway point.

Definitely a charming game with a great world and characters.
I found out my friend has Tail Concerto for PS1...ZOMG...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ookami-kun said:
...and I just realized everyone is speaking in Japanese French.

Bonjoeeeew :3
Yep. It was the same way in the Japanese version. I found it very endearing.

Holy crap I think I just finished the game! I really enjoyed it, I want a sequel for 3DS please CyberConnect 2 & Namco Bandai! PLEASE!!!

Yuterald

Played a bunch more today. Been playing/catching up with DS stuff all weekend! I believe I am at the start of CH10. Small plot twist revealed, kinda cool. I am still enjoying the fuck out of this game. Holy shit at the fishing segments too. I just arrived at that ship graveyard town with the fishing mini game. WOW. Fishing LOOKS incredible, and it's simple and fun enough too. I am currently putting all my rings towards the best fishing harpoon whenever I get the opportunity because I want to purchase all those goodies in the points shop. So cool!

The game is still pretty easy bake, but I've been making the game as hard as possible for myself. Anyone else solely upgrade Attack & Hydraulics? I've ignored Defense, Mobility, and Revive because, well, 2 of those stats seem useless and Defense...really, do I really need to take less damage, lol!? I also heard there is newgame+ in this game. Any chance the difficulty is increased?

Regardless of the easy difficulty, the pacing has been perfect in this game. The game just feels super polished. You can't hate on something that performs and feels so good. I love seeing a new area because this game LOOKS incredible. I'm telling you, fishing is so ridiculous looking. Those hermit crabs with shrines and ships on their backs, god damn, CyberConnect2 are artists, for sure!

GJS

Yuterald said:
The game is still pretty easy bake, but I've been making the game as hard as possible for myself. Anyone else solely upgrade Attack & Hydraulics? I've ignored Defense, Mobility, and Revive because, well, 2 of those stats seem useless and Defense...really, do I really need to take less damage, lol!? I also heard there is newgame+ in this game. Any chance the difficulty is increased?
Enemies do more damage and take less damage from your attacks, but new game + and new game++ both add extra items to buy that make you more powerful too.

Cheska

Whoot! Just literally beat the first part of the game, after a 13 hour playthrough. Is the second half of the story worth sinking some time into, and is it just as long?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Cheska said:
Whoot! Just literally beat the first part of the game, after a 13 hour playthrough. Is the second half of the story worth sinking some time into, and is it just as long?
The second half of the game is about as long iirc, and it adds new mech types, and a "limit break". You're missing out on some cool additions to the battle system if you don't play it.

Uncle Rupee said:
Oooookay... so holy shit... just beat the first part of the game
AND THERE'S A WHOLE NOTHER GAME HERE?!
-- this game is crazy awesome!!
if you ask me, the second half is the "real" game. The first part was just a primer.

I like to think of it as two seasons of a tv show.

Cheska

thetrin said:
The second half of the game is about as long iirc, and it adds new mech types, and a "limit break". You're missing out on some cool additions to the battle system if you don't play it.

Does it add much in the way of the story? The scene after the credits left me pretty thoroughly confused.

thetrin

Cheska said:
Does it add much in the way of the story? The scene after the credits left me pretty thoroughly confused.
It adds a TON. It is the other half of the story.

Fodder76

I've been playing this for a week or so now. I'm on chapter 16. I'm enjoying it pretty well but it bugs the crap out of me when they make you go complete more missions to level up your hunter ranking before you can continue the mainline story quests. I just don't understand why games do this. Let ME decide if I want the game to be longer. Anyway... other than that its good fun.

Has anyone ever actually died while playing this game? Its difficulty level is a bit of a turn off as well.

thetrin

Fodder76 said:
I've been playing this for a week or so now. I'm on chapter 16. I'm enjoying it pretty well but it bugs the crap out of me when they make you go complete more missions to level up your hunter ranking before you can continue the mainline story quests. I just don't understand why games do this. Let ME decide if I want the game to be longer. Anyway... other than that its good fun.
I never had to grind hunter quests to rank up, but that's because I did them anyway. There's no real downside to doing all of them, so I just did them.

Cheska

thetrin said:
It adds a TON. It is the other half of the story.
Great! I loved the gameplay elements, and the charm of the game.

Fodder76 said:

Has anyone ever actually died while playing this game? Its difficulty level is a bit of a turn off as well.

I only died fighting
Lares at the end of part 1

Fodder76 said:

The hunter rank does end up being a "you must have completed X number of sidequests to advance the story" roadblock, which is always an unfortunate design decision. Fortunately the sidequests are interesting and varied and I wanted to do almost all of them as they appeared, so I didn't mind.

I died a few times on several of the bosses before getting their patterns down, but then I suck at action RPGs.

Fodder76

thetrin said:
I never had to grind hunter quests to rank up, but that's because I did them anyway. There's no real downside to doing all of them, so I just did them.

I would imagine. I'm just more interested in seeing the story progress than completing the side missions. Also, I don't see any incentive to complete them... I have more money than I can possibly spend, and I can't even tell any difference when I level up.

To me, the game is substantial enough without doing extra missions, so I'm just frustrated that I'm being forced to.

But as I say, I'm enjoying it enough to keep going. I love the environments. They should make a pop-up artbook for this game. I'd pay any amount of money for that.

Loam

Cheska said:
Lets put it this way, if the game didn't try so hard to emulate a television series (to be continued/next time on etc.) there wouldn't even have been a midway break point. As someone else already mentioned think of it the end of season one. The second half of the game/season two is essentially where the bulk of the plot takes place, it also gives you a new animated opening which is pretty slick.

I also have to admit I'm enjoying Solatorobo a lot more than I thought I would have. The game looks/sounds fantastic for running on a handheld, plays well, and manages to keep its combat fresh throughout its entirety with new enemy types and mini-games. Where I think it falters though (aside from difficulty) is in the story, it's quite frankly batshit insane. I really liked the tone of the game when you first did side quests. You where just some random guy trying to make ends meet by fighting off sky pirates and fulfilling odd jobs for a bunch of quirky characters (something the game seems to have a lot of). It was kind of like playing a ghibli movie. Yet when the main plot progressed it suddenly turned into this "we must defeat them with the power of friendship and save the world from destruction" melodrama crap. Which was more awkward then normal since the entire cast consists of talking cartoon animals.

Loved the game as a whole though.

NeededSleep

Been disappointed with the game so far, i cannot recommend this game for others to buy (about 14 hours in). When you actually get to do missions(they can be fun just they are extremely short). Conversations getting to the point where i just really don't care anymore and just keep trying to fast forward them but it doesn't work /cry. Some of the environments are really done great, which is probably the highpoint in this game for me.

Niche title game just isnt for me, and put me back on not impulse buying from Xseed anymore.

Yuterald

I finished the game really early this morning. About 22 hours clocked on my first playthrough. I thoroughly enjoyed it, for the most part. Only thing that got to me was how obnoxiously hand-holding the game was at times. There is just too much unwanted text/conversations between characters over seemingly worthless issues. However, as I mentioned in earlier posts, the game is just TOO polished and gorgeous to nitpick. It was just a pleasant experience.

I've been also reading a lot of people who thought the second half of the game/plot ruined the atmosphere and setting of what was 'understood' and presented during the first half. The turn of events in the second half I thought only made the game more interesting and entertaining! I was a huge fan of the original game, Tail Concerto, so I CAN understand why some vets might be disappointed in the series' universe 'reveal'. Without spoiling too much, I guess the game gets too anime-ish by the end of the game and it rubbed people the wrong way.

I still have a TON left to do in this game. I was able to collect 100% of the pictures on my first playthrough, but I still need to finish all available post game quest/boss rushes and my library is incomplete in all categories at the moment. I hear there are unique robo types on your third new game+, as well as other ridiculously overpowered parts to purchase. I'd like to 100% this game, but to do this to my standards it's AT LEAST going to take 60 hours. I heard these parts and extra robo types cost an ass load of rings too. I don't think you can get away from doing a COMPLETE playthrough run when playing new game+ either, especially since story quests require a certain quest rank level.

Overall, really enjoyed the game. Thanks again XSEED for bringing this over! I can't wait to see Cyberconnect2 do something on 3DS one day, I'm sure if they do it'll be a looker!

Spwn

Tizoc said:
Is there any difference between the EU and US versions of the game?

Different translations. The US version was translated by XSEED, don't remember who translated the PAL version. I'm playing the US version despite living in EU. The EU translation was described as "sloppy" in the Roleplayer's Realm podcast.

Only an hour in so far, but I must ask: Will the game hold my hand through the whole game? It's pretty annoying when they explain even the stuff that should be basic video game logic.

Tizoc

Spwn said:
Different translations. The US version was translated by XSEED, don't remember who translated the PAL version. I'm playing the US version despite living in EU. The EU translation was described as "sloppy" in the Roleplayer's Realm podcast.

Only an hour in so far, but I must ask: Will the game hold my hand through the whole game? It's pretty annoying when they explain even the stuff that should be basic video game logic.
Thanks, will try to get it if one of the shop's have it =)

Fodder76

Spwn said:

Yes it does. I agree with you it was pretty annoying, but I was able to look past it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But actually, XSeed apparently borrowed NoE's translations, since it still has the same problems (Theria, etc.)

Top Bottom