• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

BibiMaghoo

Can you call Sony if you registered it and check to see if it is? I'm sure they can look up your console based on your information can they not?

This could be worth exploring. If you registered the console Sony doesn't know it is no longer yours. You could request information on the ban, and potentially find out the user associated with the ban.

Call his bluff.

Tell him you have marked the PS4 is a specific spot, noted the serial number, and taken photo and video evidence of this. Tell him he's more than welcome to return it, but you will need to check the console is the one you sent before returning any money.

He'll almost certainly stop the request.

That's the only option at this point.

I sell on eBay but only media items like DVDs and Blu Rays so I rarely run into problems. You really do run a risk of fraud selling big ticket items like consoles and electronics. Personally after I got scammed selling an HD DVD Xbox add on years ago that I would never do it again, and I've usually traded in consoles instead of selling them.

Either way you have to impose strict buyer requirements if you are able and avoid selling at Christmas when the loonies are out. eBay can be a real zoo with customers expecting you to essentially act like Amazon Prime and deliver everything in 2 days for nothing. God forbid there's a postal delay and it's like the world is ending for some people. It can be very frustrating no matter how good a seller you are.

Good luck and get this guy :)

Except the scam is that buyer already has a banned PS4. He will send that one.

One of the oldest tricks on ebay. Switcharoo.

Yeah I just saw his post :( I'd never sell an item like that without either marking it with UV ink or noting the serial.

Call their bluff OP, say you have the serial shit and Sony say there's no ban on that unit.

Sorry for your troubles OP. But this thread was made at the perfect time for me. I have my old Destiny console bundle listed right now, and I just specified in the listing that any claims of banned or unusable console after delivery will be regarded as fraudulent. I'll also take pics of the serial for my own records before shipment.

BigEmil

I think this sounds like the best idea.

But is there any way to find out the serial number? Would Amazon have that information?
Contact Sony, Amazon etc get as much info on the ps4 you can but Sony will likely have more, explain to them the situation and you want the serial number etc of the ps4 your psn was used on all the time

I always take pics of serial numbers if I sell a console on eBay
Sounds like this person has a dead/banned/faulty ps4 and wants to swap it with yours
eBay will usually side with the buyer too :/

Also sell your stuff in the gaf buy/sell/trade thread because you can trust gaf people better than eBay people

Call his bluff.

Tell him you have marked the PS4 is a specific spot, noted the serial number, and taken photo and video evidence of this. Tell him he's more than welcome to return it, but you will need to check the console is the one you sent before returning any money.

He'll almost certainly stop the request.
Except if OP did not list the serial number in his images which it sounds like he didn't. In which case there's no way eBay can be sure OP isn't the one trying to scam somebody.

Gurnlei

Would do what others suggest. Tell him you have the serial number noted and will let eBay know just so he can't send you another console back.

Try and get the serial number or at least confirm its status from Sony before contacting the buyer again.

And hope he doesn't link you to this thread.

phonics

Banned
Well both eBay and PayPal almost always side with the buyer so it's ok to hate that. As a seller you often have nearly insurmountable burden of proof if a buyer tries to scam you.
I submitted my Nike.com recipts for the shoes I sold. PayPal still sided with the buyer. Fuck them.

Vashetti

Banned
This could be worth exploring. If you registered the console Sony doesn't know it is no longer yours. You could request information on the ban, and potentially find out the user associated with the ban.

Contact Sony, Amazon etc get as much info on the ps4 you can but Sony will likely have more, explain to them the situation and you want the serial number etc of the ps4 your psn was used on all the time

Would Sony have that info since I deactivated the console?

Except if OP did not list the serial number in his images which it sounds like he didn't. In which case there's no way eBay can be sure OP isn't the one trying to scam somebody.

It's pretty much his only option though unless the OP knows any gangsters to go to his address.

Sanjay

I think this sounds like the best idea.

But is there any way to find out the serial number? Would Amazon have that information?

Amazon UK do for Xbox one S because it said they keep the data for stolen consoles database network or somethong to that affect.

Cmagus

I'd bluff and say you'll contact Sony for sure with the serial number to see why it's banned and if it's banned.Also ask him to provide the serial number if he refuses then it's a scam and you can submit that to ebay.

If he still continues with it I would use the playstation support chat and actually check, if you registered it they will have your information plus live chat is something you can save for proof to submit to ebay.I would do this first and when you can confirm it's not banned then you can contact Ebay and notify them that they're trying to scam you and you have proof.

Call his bluff say you have all the info people have suggested in the thread

Start finding that info right away and hopefully calling his bluff will either scare him off or buy you time.

Why I never sold hardware on eBay. I tried listing a CFW PS3 earlier this year and it kept getting taken down since they considered it "piracy" and I'm glad they did - some people who want these consoles would pull shit like that more often.

wenaldy

Contact Sony might help. They should be able to see what PS4 were attached to your PSN account. But if you deactivated your PS4, which you probably did, I'm not sure they can confirm information regarding that PS4 anymore

The buyer is planning to send you a banned PS4 and this as a printed out image:

image.php

One suggestion is to go nuclear. Remove card info and delete account.

n6vcz0u2lzhx.jpg

I'm not sure how the laws may work in the UK, but you could try filing some sort of complaint with your local police department and maybe contact any other government agency that handles internet crimes. For instance, in the US you could file a police complaint regarding this if you shipped with USPS (And maybe the others) you can file a complaint with the FBI for mail fraud. Once eBay gets the police complaint they send it to the buyer as well and that would perhaps scare them into backing off.

TSM

Once Ebay receives proof of delivery from the buyer they will refund the money and close the case. OP is going to have to be content and hope he doesn't get a box of rocks in the mail.

synce

Can't help directly but this is why I stopped selling on ebay long ago. They fuck over the seller every time. Try Amazon or something like craigslist instead

Cmagus

Once Ebay receives proof of delivery from the buyer they will refund the money and close the case. OP is going to have to be content as long as he doesn't get a box of rocks in the mail.

I've had someone try to scam me on ebay before they will at least contact the op first and that's when they would have a chance to address the situation which is why I'd play it cool for now till you can confirm that it's the same console and not banned.

You might be able to contact amazon with your original invoice # to find out your serial #. Every store must scan the serial # during purchase.

Fisty

Yeah bro you'll have to bluff him, tell him to send the console back and you will refund when you can verify the serial number matches and the special marking you made on the console is there. Good luck

Mention you can pick it up yourself to verify if you are within a few hundred miles, since you have his address.

Basically just try to make him think he can get caught and he'll go away

TSM

I've had someone try to scam me on ebay before they will at least contact the op first and that's when they would have a chance to address the situation which is why I'd play it cool for now till you can confirm that it's the same console and not banned.

The problem is the OP has no proof it's not the console he sent the buyer. Ebay isn't going to just take his word the serial number doesn't match since it's not part of the auction info. The guy sending it back will just accuse the OP of scamming him.

There's also the chance that it's the same console he sold, but the buyer managed to get it banned in the short time he had it.

daveo42

Banned
Have him ship it back then if it's banned. Otherwise no refund. Even offer to cover shipping, but get tracking and a receipt along with the console before issuing a refund.

SRTtoZ

Did you make a note of its serial number etc? You're about to receive a dodgy one back.

This. I hope you photographed the serial number. Ebay is 100% skewed towards the buyers not the sellers, so he can send you his broken/banned PS4 as yours in return, so make sure you have evidence of the serial number.

This happened to me with a Kratos statue I sold on Ebay and learned the hard way. Sent him my mint Statue, he said it arrived with only 1 hand (like the hand magically disappeared from the box I sent), so he pretty much took the magnetic removable Kratos hand and kept it for himself as he probably broke or lost one of his hands, so he just stole mine. Anyway I got it returned with 1 hand and had to sell it for FAR less since it was missing a hand :(

I only buy stuff on Ebay now.

Wolfe

What should I say to them? What reason can I give for not having access to the serial number myself?

Why not explain what's happening, that you sold it after deactivation to pay for your PS4 Pro and you think the buyer might be trying to scam you and that you need the info to verify that he is trying to return the same PS4 you sent him. It's not like they can't verify your account info and it's not like the story is outlandish or anything.

You're getting scammed if you can't get a serial number. They're switching your console, yours clearly wasn't banned since you were using it before you sold it. Sorry OP, people suck.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Confirm with Sony that the console (and your account) was not banned, and share that with Ebay and Paypal. While the buyer does have scam protection, so too does the seller.

Top Bottom