• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

Oli

I just sold a camera lens on eBay to someone without feedback. Damnit. I'm already dead.

The feedback is really meaningless. Let's say you're a seller and someone screws you over. You can't leave negative feedback on the buyer. Negative feedback is only for them to complain about the seller.

Had one guy win an auction of mine and never paid, never messaged me. Checked his feedback, and there was a bunch of positive feedback with text saying, "Don't sell to this user he won't pay!"

Ultimately didn't matter because I hadn't shipped it, so I just filed a case and then reposted it.

Point is, feedback don't mean squat.

fernoca

As mentioned already, contact Sony and get as much info as you can about a possible ban.

Then, contact the customer as mention the thing about the hidden mark. Say that you placed a mark on it and will refund it upon receiving and inspecting it.

OldMan

Banned
Call PayPal/eBay and give them a heads up. Worst case scenario is you'll have to wait super long for your $...

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Sucks to hear OP

The only time I sold something expensive on ebay (for $300-400 iirc) I literally kept the shipping box open until I drove to the post office and then recorded an uninterrupted phone video of the item showing that it was undamaged, me placing it in the box, sealing it up, the shipping label, waiting in line, and handing it to the post office clerk.

Might've been drastic, but there's some serious scum out there. I've heard of cases where the seller has won against scammers by providing video proof to paypal. Luckily my buyer was an honest person.

Vashetti

Banned
Okay, so just had a brief back and forth with the Ask PS UK Twitter account, and they've requested I contact them through live chat tomorrow.

SRTtoZ

Sucks to hear OP

The only time I sold something expensive on ebay (for $300-400 iirc) I literally kept the shipping box open until I drove to the post office and then recorded an uninterrupted phone video of the item showing that it was undamaged, me placing it in the box, sealing it up, the shipping label, waiting in line, and handing it to the post office clerk.

Might've been drastic, but there's some serious scum out there. I've heard of cases where the seller has won against scammers by providing video proof to paypal. Luckily my buyer was an honest person.

This won't matter to Ebay. They will assume something happened during shipping. I did this with my Kratos statue and they didnt give 2 shits about me recording and taking pictures of it being shipped wrapped and boxed correctly. If you're a buyer they will refund him no matter what. I will say this, sometimes, rarely but sometimes, Ebay will reimburse the person on their own and take the loss but its pretty rare.

Allforce

Okay, so just had a brief back and forth with the Ask PS UK Twitter account, and they've requested I contact them through live chat tomorrow.

You had to go the most convoluted route? Twitter and then "Yeah hit us up on chat on Saturday, yeah we'll be here!"? Good luck with that.

Pick up the phone, call and TALK to someone....

Hedgey

Good. I hope everything works out here.
Honestly, I doubt he could file a claim on this though. eBay/Paypal ask for proof.
This is a good learning experience either way, to make sure you document the serial number before selling a system.

mrlion

Why twitter? Just call them. Why are you afraid of this? lol if what you're saying is true then there's nothing to worry about just try and get that information in and ask the buyer for the picture of the serial and if they don't match then its in your favor.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
This won't matter to Ebay. They will assume something happened during shipping. I did this with my Kratos statue and they didnt give 2 shits about me recording and taking pictures of it being shipped wrapped and boxed correctly. If you're a buyer they will refund him no matter what. I will say this, sometimes, rarely but sometimes, Ebay will reimburse the person on their own and take the loss but its pretty rare.
When that happens I expect the insurance on the package from the shipping company to take care of it because if it was damaged/lost in transit, it's their fault.

modsbox

What about the MAC adress of the PS4? It should be in your Router and those are usually unique.

This is a good idea. Grab that and then use that when on the phone with Sony to try to get to serial # or to verify unbanned status.

At that point you can then tell the buyer you've confirmed it's not banned, but if he still wishes to return it for a refund he can do so (while making it clear that you will notice if it's not the same console).

Ashhong

Sounds like you're fucked. This is why I don't want to sell on ebay anymore.

I don't know what having a serial number will prove. You can't prove what serial number you shipped to him. Doesn't matter whether or not it's the MAC address, serial number, anything.

accept banned console back. pull same scam on someone else.

youll be back where you started and it'll be someone elses problem

It'll become a chain that goes on in perpetuity where that specific PS4 is passed between dozens of people until someone just decides to take the L.

DJ88

You had to go the most convoluted route? Twitter and then "Yeah hit us up on chat on Saturday, yeah we'll be here!"? Good luck with that.

Pick up the phone, call and TALK to someone....

I will never understand this. Someone makes a thread asking for advice, gets 2 or 3 very solid suggestions from hundreds of posts, OP forgoes all of them and does something no one suggested.

Like fucking clockwork.

Stiler

So many scammers on ebay these days and ebay/paypal seems to take their side rather then the sellers.

I recently sold a two $50 psn cards and BOTH of the buyers literally claimed 'unauthorized" purchase and requested refunds shortly after I sent the info, of course when I go to check if the cards have been used or not before issuing a refund both of them had been.

I contested and lost , even though I had proof I sent the codes and ebay could EASILY check to see what IP used their ebay and paypal accounts (If it was the same IP they normally use) and other things.

So yep, learned my lesson the hard way, not more gift cards or anything like that going to ebay.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
accept banned console back. pull same scam on someone else.

youll be back where you started and it'll be someone elses problem
This is clearly a joke, correct?

Sucks to read this OP. Fuck selling anything worth of value on Ebay though. Waaay too many asshat scammers. You always have to take measures to protect yourself first and foremost when listing on ebay.

akileese

I will never understand this. Someone makes a thread asking for advice, gets 2 or 3 very solid suggestions from hundreds of posts, OP forgoes all of them and does something no one suggested.

Like fucking clockwork.

If you'd read his post you'd notice he lives in the UK where it's about 9:30pm. Sony does not have 24 hour support. He has to wait until the next day and he's pretty lucky they have weekend chat/phone support.

eBay treats their sellers like dogshit.

Get out ahead of it by contacting eBay/Paypal to start.
You could also respond to the buyer, in a nice way, and try to bluff. Make a point that you're going to have to double check the serial number of the device before refunding.

Something like that might scare him off from trying to scam you, if that is in fact what he's trying to do.

I'm probably late but isn't there an email linked to your PS4?
Ask Sony if they can tell you what the SN of the PS4 linked to your email is and if it's banned.
If they tell them your SN and everything is not banned, tell the buyer to fuck himself.

LOLCats

Banned
OP i mean i feel for you. I got scammed on the ebay about 10 years ago... lost 232$. But really am surprised you didn't take pictures of the serial number, console, and box it was being shipped in with tracking information. Seems like that is such a huge oversight on your part...

Arkam

This is why I rely on large "evil" corporations like Amazon and Gamestop. Saves me from dealing with shitty consumers.

Such sad state of things.... but I fully agree. Last car I sold was the last one I will ever sell p2p. Would give every detail, pictures, videos and tell them my HARD min price and not to come see it if that was not what they would pay..... 10 people later I finally solid it for less than my hard price cuz i was tired of spending the time.

OP my heart goes out to you in this crap situation.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
A lot of good advice already in this thread, but I'd like to add one more to keep in mind for the future:

If you do end up losing with eBay and end up losing your console, losing your money, and eBay or Paypal won't step in... file a police report

What the buyer would be doing is mail fraud, a federal crime, and contact eBay and Paypal and send them copies of this police report. They have been known to act when law enforcement gets involved.

I write on the add that its in perfect working condition and there no refunds. I put all the details, literally everything. works online, never fixed, never modded etc As long as you wrote it in the add, what can they really do. But i sell on kijiji not ebay.

The guy probably wants to get a Pro now that its out.

akileese

A lot of good advice already in this thread, but I'd like to add one more to keep in mind for the future:

If you do end up losing with eBay and end up losing your console, losing your money, and eBay or Paypal won't step in... file a police report

What the buyer would be doing is mail fraud, a federal crime, and contact eBay and Paypal and send them copies of this police report. They have been known to act when law enforcement gets involved.

This is a really good shout but you need to have the documentation to back up such a claim (verified serial numbers, etc) since this is the heavy handed last resort.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
OP, your situation may be unique but ebay is full of sharks that won't think twice about fucking you over and knowing that ebay will protect them and not you,

I've had the best luck selling items to buyers that run their own store n the site. They usually know what they want and aren't out to fuck you over, but even they aren't guaranteed to be a safe transaction as I found out over the summer.

As far as the PS4 goes, don't refund it until its returned and you check it out. I hope you recorded the serial number before you shipped it.

Akai__

In regards to the PayPal dispute, it won't do shit. You have no proof of what MAC address PS4 you sent him. Doesn't matter what's registered to your network. PayPal won't care

This is in case of that guy scamming him and sending back a faulty and different PS4. With the MAC adress, he has proof that it's not the same console.

dafodeu

I sold some pokemon cards for around 75 dollars a few months ago. I got a dispute in PayPal not Ebay for a charge back. I sent a message to the user on ebay asking what the issue was and if he got the cards since the tracking said they were delivered a week ago. He messaged back "yeah I got them and they are great" Then a few days go by and he messages me again saying "I never ordered any cards that's why I did a chargeback."

Pretty sure a kid ordered the cards on his Dads ebay account and never told the Dad lol. I sent the messages to paypal with shipping confirmation and told them they should give me the money back because of Seller Protection and about a week later I had the money back.

You do have Seller Protection and you don't have to refund till you receive the item back. Make sure to video tape you opening the return box. Scammers send back rocks since all ebay looks for is the tracking number showing the item was returned and they can just claim they sent the item back.

Hikami

I just sold my PS3 on eBay a few days ago. Now I'm worried.
I do have the serial number at least.

Guess I'll hold off on selling anything else there til January.

Ashhong

This is in case of that guy scamming him and sending back a faulty and different PS4. With the MAC adress, he has proof that it's not the same console.

Again, he does not have proof because he can't prove what console he sent to him in the first place. At least not with a MAC address. You have to think from the buyer's POV. He can easily play ignorant and say "well, that's the PS4 he sent me. Prove that it wasnt"

Awful to hear OP, I think your best route is what other GAFers have suggested and call his bluff, tell him you contacted Sony and they said it's not banned at all.

PLOT TWIST: Scammer is a GAF member, is reading this, and is prepared for you.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Has the buyer opened up a claim yet? If not, I would cash out my PayPal account and close up shop. Tell the buyer to ship you back the console on Monday and once you verify the serial numbers are accurate, you'll issue him a refund. Don't mention that you don't know the serial number simply because he doesn't know that. In the time it takes to get back the console, you should already have the check from paypal. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom