• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

Symphonia

Banned
I'm currently staying with my parents, so if the box arrives in the next few days my partner should receive it. Don't know if he'll want me there to do the unboxing or not.

I'll keep you guys updated though.
Make sure he records the parcel arriving, and have him open it (and record it) in front of the postman. Check the serial number on camera too and see if it matches yours. If it does, sweet, end the recording. If not, get the postman to verify on camera that the two numbers do not match. Then ring the police - not Sony - and report the scammer.

Justinh

I'm glad at the very least OP won't be on the hook for refunds anymore. Hopefully that buyer's account gets like... suspended or something.
So happy for the successful result. I am curious about one thing; what if that PS4 does come back and it appears to be yours, without tamper, pee, or whatnot? Also, what if it is not banned? Does that warrant possibly sending a message to the person (while they were sketchy, perhaps this would suggest they are not a true scammer) that their IP could indeed be banned? While unlikely (I expect a PS4 box with a couple bibles in it), just was thinking about that.

I don't know if that is necessary since iIRC Sony said they (the buyer) had gone online with the console.

baconcow

So happy for the successful result. I am curious about one thing; what if that PS4 does come back and it appears to be yours, without tamper, pee, or whatnot? Also, what if it is not banned? Does that warrant possibly sending a message to the person (while they were sketchy, perhaps this would suggest they are not a true scammer) that their IP could indeed be banned? While unlikely (I expect a PS4 box with a couple bibles in it), just was thinking about that.

I don't know if that is necessary since iIRC Sony said they (the buyer) had gone online with the console.

Valid point. I had forgotten that they were able to get online.

Ricky_R

I mean, it was definitely a good resolve for the OP, but am I missing something? If the buyer sends a banned or different faulty system, OP still loses a console that he could've sold to another person or just give away to a relative or friend.

Granted, he didn't lose any extra money, but it remains to be seen if he ends up unscathed.

well done OP

just for clarity, the scammer wont see any difference, he still gets his refund, all what has happened is ebay took the cost, and refunded both parties

Yeah, I figured when you told him to PM you this is the way it was going to go

ALWAYS APPEAL

I have been following this thread since it was posted and I am really glad for you and your well being that you will get to keep the money you made from selling the console. You stated you suffer from anxiety and I can imagine how it must have been a black cloud over you.

On the flipside I am not happy that the scammer has been refunded too plus will probably be keeping your fully functional console.

It is going to be intriguing as to what does get sent back to you. But I would definitely follow the advice given here about taking this further if it isn't your console.

Tak3n

Banned
@ OP

I personally would not bother with the police.... the CPS will never go for it, in fact I would expect them to call it a civil matter.... you would be required to 100% proof that the buyer has conned you....I just can not see it.... they are not going to go to court on that...

Dont get me wrong they may interview and he confesses, and hell with that private info I gave you, one could scare the shit out of him.... but in this instance I am inclined to say... you got your money...let it go...

Remember you sent him a email accusing him of fraud, so he could also litigate against you for slander... remember you have to ask yourself, can I 100% proof he has scammed me....and IMO it all comes down to whether the Sony info can stand up in court.... Not a chance the CPS goes for it IMO

Infact the best thing to do is ring 101 and see what they say, as they will advise on whether a crime has been committed, I once had a parcel go missing from Amazon.... Neighbour signed for it but refused to hand it over (said it was not him) anyway Amazon insisted I got a police report as I had been the victim of theft.... The police refused saying it was a civil matter

Ogawa-san

If I were OP, I'd be an ass and stop posting here to let it end like this

giphy.gif

Shame you had to go through all that crap, but I'm glad you didn't end up out of your money AND a console.

Major Marvelous

Neo Member
@ OP

I personally would not bother with the police.... the CPS will never go for it, in fact I would expect them to call it a civil matter.... you would be required to 100% proof that the buyer has conned you....I just can not see it.... they are not going to go to court on that...

Dont get me wrong they may interview and he confesses, and hell with that private info I gave you, one could scare the shit out of him.... but in this instance I am inclined to say... you got your money...let it go...

Remember you sent him a email accusing him of fraud, so he could also litigate against you for slander... remember you have to ask yourself, can I 100% proof he has scammed me....and IMO it all comes down to whether the Sony info can stand up in court.... Not a chance the CPS goes for it IMO

Infact the best thing to do is ring 101 and see what they say, as they will advise on whether a crime has been committed, I once had a parcel go missing from Amazon.... Neighbour signed for it but refused to hand it over (said it was not him) anyway Amazon insisted I got a police report as I had been the victim of theft.... The police refused saying it was a civil matter
Technically it would be libel but in this case, I don't see how he would be able to win a case because of that. He would have to prove damages from the alleged libel and no one here even knows his name besides the OP and eBay, so I don't think it would result in anything.

I mean, it was definitely a good resolve for the OP, but am I missing something? If the buyer sends a banned or different faulty system, OP still loses a console that he could've sold to another person or just give away to a relative or friend.

Granted, he didn't lose any extra money, but it remains to be seen if he ends up unscathed.
No, it will be like the sale went through and the buyer never said anything, as OP still got paid for it. In fact, he's better off since eBay credited the fees.

LordOfChaos

Nice! Seems like everything will turn out ok.

I do wonder though how this would have gone if it weren't public in this thread and twitter. Despite the good result it's turned me off from selling some even higher value stuff on there, but local selling has been hard going.

Please record and upload the unboxing for shits and giggles :p

Tak3n

Banned
Technically it would be libel but in this case, I don't see how he would be able to win a case because of that. He would have to prove damages from the alleged libel and no one here even knows his name besides the OP and eBay, so I don't think it would result in anything.

yep, but when you open Pandora box you need to be prepared. as I said if he rings 101 and tell them, they will advise him....but it will come down to the OP making a complaint against the buyer...and sometimes you have to think...do I want this hassle

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
OP sell the full contents of the box and link this thread on the eBay listing.

Lets get you a lot of money lol..

Bro and do a LIVE unboxing video on YouTube LOL

bombshell

So, wait, scammer gets paid and maybe gets a console out of it (sends back a brick), but OP still gets paid for system he sold?

I don't think the buyer will end up with a working console. If he's returning a brick with a different serial number, then OP can report his sold console as stolen to Sony so they can ban it.

OP should donate the PS4 to charity (provided it isn't banned). Some poor kid would love one.

Our family got a SNES when I'm was a kid from the Wishing Tree or the like and it was super awesome. I was so tired of playing NES when everyone else had a SNES. So many hours spent playing FF2/3/Chrono Trigger (all borrowed from a friend).

So, wait, scammer gets paid and maybe gets a console out of it (sends back a brick), but OP still gets paid for system he sold?

Yeah, eBay is taking the brunt for all of it. Take eBay's side of things: Even with OP's chat with Sony, what's to say that a seller with 2 PS4s wouldn't advertise one serial number and ship a different blocked console? We know that the OP is scrupulous, but how can eBay be sure? Yeah, there are dishonest buyers, but also dishonest sellers.

This is really all that eBay could do in this situation for the OP. Can't disprove the buyer either, so they got their refund. I'm glad that everything worked out for you, OP.

Rellik

Make sure he records the parcel arriving, and have him open it (and record it) in front of the postman. Check the serial number on camera too and see if it matches yours. If it does, sweet, end the recording. If not, get the postman to verify on camera that the two numbers do not match. Then ring the police - not Sony - and report the scammer.

The serial number on the case can mean nothing. It takes minutes to swap a shell on a PS4. I take mine apart all the time to clean it, and it's just a few screws and a little force. I'n not sure if there's any kind of ID on the internals though. I never really thought to look when I replaced my thermal paste.

Can I keep the banned console or maybe get it for $50?

I'll take the disc drive if you don't need it. Mine is broke and no longer inside it.

Joking. I'll just get a pro

johnny505

I am not defending the scammer, but Ebay can not do anything different..... think about it from their perspective.... £160 vs having to launch an investigation, having a professional look at the PS4. getting a legal statement from Sony..... potential court proceedings.....

Ebay are not going to commit thousands to an investigation when they can simply pay the seller and the problem goes away... they deal in probabilities, not facts.

it is a business decision, no more and no less

Plus they just write it off as a loss and lessen their tax liability.

mackattk

Really glad you got your money back. But it just sucks having to jump through all these hoops and get a fucking social media campaign to back you and finally get your money back, and even then the scammer STILL gets what he wants (a fully working, non-banned console).

This is just small one victory in a sea of hundreds to thousands of fraud cases that paypal/ebay decide in the buyers' favor.

I hope this is a lesson to anyone reading this to sell through other means, Craigslist (meet at safe designated area), Neogaf's B/S/T forum, or any other reputable place to sell things. Ebay is just a cesspool of scammers and thieves. There are still a few good people who buy things off ebay, but personally I wouldn't want to take that chance.

I find it a little sad that to get good customer service, not just with Ebay, you need a big social media presence, and make a big noise.

Ditto with trying to punish racist or problematic employees of a company. Sigh. It's like a necessity if you want to protect yourself, almost. Otherwise, you're shit outta luck. Kinda Black Mirrorish, no?

BigEmil

It's sad eBay only helped after being called out on social media and backed by many people watching then they decided to help you to save face.
While before they just screwed you just like that even when you provided all the evidence etc.

mackattk

It's sad eBay only helped after being called out on social media and backed by many people watching then they decided to help you to save face.
While before they just screwed you just like that even when you provided all the evidence etc.

That is just the way things are now. They don't care about anything except for profits until someone threatens to expose them publicly.

fbutron

The bad part here is that surely Ebay take the charge, and the scammer will get his money back also without a lesson learned and will continue to scam people

They need to return the feedback for buyers

LogicStep

I misses the whole Twitter episode. Any screen caps or details on what exactly happened or what Mr Megativity said?

Glad it's resolved.

Very glad to see this was resolved, OP, and a bummer that the buyer has (so far) gotten away scot-free.

Thanks GAF for sticking up for OP when it counted.

Marlenus

Let's say I don't get back my working PS4 and I get one that is banned from PSN, or I get the shell of mine (my serial number) with the innards of a banned one.

Am I able to call the police? As the buyer was meant to send back my PS4, they are in effect stealing. And it's not like I'd be sending them on a fool's errand, I know the guy's address and even found his Facebook.

I would say report it but don't expect them to do much. I would also report it stolen to Sony who may, if you provide a crime number, ban the console.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I would still film the acceptance of the package, recording of the serial number and checking to see if the console is able to get online. There's no way I would just wipe my hands since my payment was received; if dude sent back the wrong item, then he's engaging in mail fraud. Period. It may sound like a lot of work, but sometimes that is required for this kind of trashbag to learn.

DirtyLarry

Been a silent observer of this thread since it started, and just really thought the OP was going to get completely screwed. Very cool that was not the case and am so interested in hearing what is in the box.

I guess comic book sellers are the only good people on eBay? I buy a ton of comics off eBay, a whole, whole lot, and there has been one time I had an issue, and in fact the seller rectified it immediately, so really it was only a slight inconvenience. And I have purchased some pretty pricey, pretty rare comics.

Top Bottom