• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I agree with the idea that if a banned, yet functional PS4 comes back you should get a couple good SP games and donate to a hospital. My bro spent a good deal of time in the hospital recovering after surgery and having a DC and Soul Calibur was a godsend for him.

DeathPeak

51108d1386061001t-orgazmo_jesus_gif.jpg

This has been a great thread. Congrats OP! Did you get the rep's name? Maybe you can call ebay about how helpful they were? Now the wait for what gets returned begins. Like the epilogue of the story.

sphinx

the piano man
one thing I missed in the whole thread...

I remember OP saying he didn't know the serial number of his console, how did he get it back?

by asking PS support for the serial number of the console he had been using before the pro?

Tak3n

Banned
well done OP

just for clarity, the scammer wont see any difference, he still gets his refund, all what has happened is ebay took the cost, and refunded both parties

LifEndz

Awesome ending, but damn if I'm still scared this could happen to me and unless I get an equally diligent and thoughtful csr, I'd be fucked.

Glad it worked out for you, OP.

well done OP

just for clarity, the scammer wont see any difference, he still gets his refund, all what has happened is ebay took the cost, and refunded both parties
For real? Thats bullshit and no wonder ebay has so many of these occur. Basically, no accountability. Smh.

Tak3n

Banned
For real? Thats bullshit and no wonder ebay has so many of these occur. Basically, no accountability. Smh.

Yeah, it is how they do it....now if the buyer has a history of cons, they will warn him.... but he allready got awarded the case, they dont undo that....the claim simply got closed, both parties won....the most is a note will be placed on the scammers account.... but at the end of the day unless ebay ask for the console and do their own investigation they have to refund the buyer.... can not be any other way

cool :)

now, you said the buyer had gone online. How could that be proven?

could PS support tell if another account had been assigned to the PS4 you sold?

or if the buyer went full online with a PSN+ account?

They can see the serial numbers of machines that are online, so working out that it had been online since it had been sold proved that the buyer received it and it was working fine with zero bans.

peetfeet

Yeah, it is how they do it....now if the buyer has a history of cons, they will warn him.... but he allready got awarded the case, they dont undo that....the claim simply got closed, both parties won....the most is a note will be placed on the scammers account.... but at the end of the day unless ebay ask for the console and do their own investigation they have to refund the buyer.... can not be any other way

That's pretty bad, no comeuppance for the scammer, no wonder these shits do it. OP should at least let his eBay username be known if it indeed turns out to be swapped/rocks etc.

DeathPeak

The wording from the rep made it seem like the case was closed in OP's favor and the buyer wouldn't be getting the refund. Rep said they would help all they could after the case was closed and they would look into it. Then the final update had the rep closing the case in OP's favor. Even said they wouldn't wait for the buyer to respond.

sphinx

the piano man
They can see the serial numbers of machines that are online, so working out that it had been online since it had been sold proved that the buyer received it and it was working fine with zero bans.

I can see that

but "online" is a general term

my question is whether PS support could tell exactly what account had been using the PS4 OP sold and how. was it psn+? was it typing messages on communities? etc.

Tall Paul

Wow!! Only just read through this and caught up, full credit to you for seeing this through, had similar things myself and it's not fun at all, so good to see all the great input from GAF users as well, glad it's all worked out, all the best mate!

Crumpo

This thread has been a real rollercoaster...it's basically GAF's version of "it's a wondeful life".

Congrats OP, you know you need to update us with what comes back, troll the buyer and maybe order some pizzas to his address...

Putty

Well done sir....Props to Ebay for doing this....Props to Mister Negative even though i hate his fucking guts for pushing on Twatter...

WITHE1982

Wow. Fantastic and unexpected outcome. So glad this pond scum didn't get away with such bullshit. Congrats OP

Make sure to message the buyer and tell him the good news. Obviously remember to be magnanimous in your victory. No one likes a sore winner.
Who am I kidding. I'd rip him a new ass hole.

well done OP

Well that took a bit of shine off it. Ah well. At least the innocent party wont suffer because of it.

Any idea how many people someone has to scam to get banned?

I dealt with a scammer and left him bad "good" feedback that was deleted and still to this day I get messages from other people that think they are being scammed and want to know what I did to win. I have no idea how he can still be going after all this time!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wait wait, so basically you got to keep the money right? If by some random ass chance he does send your system back dont you REALLY need to refund him?

Zakalwe

Banned
Congratulations op. Was lurking this thread hoping for not rocks.

Really happy you made it out on top. Kind of shitty the scammer will get away with it, but judging from his messages it won't be long till karma finds him. Someone like that won't be able to avoid it for long.

Happy Christmas! :)

Loved how the rep actually sounded like a human and understood the situation! Been following this thread and happy to see it come to a good conclusion!

test_account

XP-39C²
Its a pity that the buyer also got payed. Then he got away with the scam after all, that sucks. But very good that the OP doesnt lose money over it at least.

Top Bottom