• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

eBay paid him too.

Do you know this for fact as that would certainly be a shame if he got away with such actions because that still means at the end of the day he got working machine at the cost of a broken one

Evilore got involved? God damn.

Nice for the op

Nope not sure why you thought Evilore got involved? Mr Megative kicked up a storm on Twitter than seemed to push eBay in to action.

Portman

On the initial tweet it shows neogaf and his info. I thought the same but I think it just pulled the info up with GAF address.

Good to hear it's going in your favor Vashetti. This is giving me some confidence to sell something on eBay although I will provally try the GAF buy/sell first and then go eBay. Might have to finally learn how social media works since Twitter seems to be a useful tool in this day and age based on your results and others I've seen with various companies.

Vashetti

Banned
Do you know this for fact as that would certainly be a shame if he got away with such actions because that still means at the end of the day he got working machine at the cost of a broken one

7DHZVxR.png

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
So Tweeting eBay resulted in some sense. Well done, it must have been stressful l know it was when l experienced an issue with eBay.

I wish Sony customer service was this good :(

thenexus6

Scammer gets refunded and keeps your PS4

You get refunded and probably received a box of rocks or broken PS4

Still seems shitty, but at least you got your money back

Tak3n

Banned

Nope not sure why you thought Evilore got involved? Mr Megative kicked up a storm on Twitter than seemed to push eBay in to action.

I am not defending the scammer, but Ebay can not do anything different..... think about it from their perspective.... £160 vs having to launch an investigation, having a professional look at the PS4. getting a legal statement from Sony..... potential court proceedings.....

Ebay are not going to commit thousands to an investigation when they can simply pay the seller and the problem goes away... they deal in probabilities, not facts.

it is a business decision, no more and no less

Akai__

Completely forgot about this thread. Glad to see that everything worked out for you.

Now, I'm just curious as to what will be in the box.

I am not defending the scammer, but Ebay can not do anything different..... think about it from their perspective.... £160 vs having to launch an investigation, having a professional look at the PS4. getting a legal statement from Sony..... potential court proceedings.....

Ebay are not going to commit thousands to an investigation when they can simply pay the seller and the problem goes away... they deal in probabilities, not facts.

Yeah I know it's a shame they can't just do a big FU to the buyer though. Still want to know what's in the box!

DrDamn

Scammer gets refunded and keeps your PS4

You get refunded and probably received a box of rocks or broken PS4

Still seems shitty, but at least you got your money back

The buyer was meant to send back what he received, if he doesn't then I would say Vashetti has recourse to take him to the small claims court. Probably not worth the effort, but an option if he did want to take it further. If he gets back the fully working PS4 he sent then it's not so bad at all.

Peroroncino

giphy.gif

Turns out twitter is the most useful tool in situations like this. I wonder what will be inside the return package, let us know OP.

Vashetti

Banned
Let's say I don't get back my working PS4 and I get one that is banned from PSN, or I get the shell of mine (my serial number) with the innards of a banned one.

Am I able to call the police? As the buyer was meant to send back my PS4, they are in effect stealing. And it's not like I'd be sending them on a fool's errand, I know the guy's address and even found his Facebook.

danowat

Banned
Let's say I don't get back my working PS4 and I get one that is banned from PSN, or I get the shell of mine (my serial number) with the innards of a banned one.

Am I able to call the police? As the buyer was meant to send back my PS4, they are in effect stealing. And it's not like I'd be sending them on a fool's errand, I know the guy's address and even found his Facebook.

Police will undoubtedly tell you it's a civil matter.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC

IMO, you should absolutely call the police. That would be nothing short of fraud.

If that happens then yeah, he stole and scammed you. If you call 999 they'll probably direct you to this website, where you report online crimes such as theft and scams. You'll get a crime reference number and you can use that in your eBay case, the police will then decide if it's worth investigating but since you got your money back they may not end up pursuing it. Still, nothing to lose and it's still a crime afterall, no matter how petty.

Edit: Forgot to say, use your local area's police dept. website, the one above is for London.

Edit 2: This website is probably more appropriate. Action Fraud.

Trup1aya

There's also the cost of reinforcing this bad behavior and encouraging others to give it a shot. It IS a business decision,and is interesting to see how different company's handle fraud. Some litigate EVERYTHING because they feel it's a worthwhile deterrent. Others just settle.

LostDonkey

Yeah I'd say so. It's fraud isn't it.

Definitely wouldn't be legal.

ramparter

Banned
IMO, you should absolutely call the police. That would be nothing short of fraud.
This. It shouldn't be just an issue between you, him and they ebay. He tried to scam someone, it's a crime. If he gets away with it - especially now that he still got the money - he will do it again.

breadtruck

Glad the OP didnt take the loss, that was definitely NOT how I expected this to turn out. Too bad the buyer still gets his payday in the end.

Glad the OP didnt take the loss, that was definitely NOT how I expected this to turn out. Too bad the buyer still gets his payday in the end.

Yeah, me neither. I haven't had too many bad experiences on eBay *knocks on wood*, but when I do, I typically never deal with a human being that has emotions and compassion.

Good on Merry Megative, and good on the buyer. There's hope left in this world!

Good to read, Vashetti!

Sucks the scammer still gets the money, though. Whatever you decide to do with the package, if it's a PS4, open it and keep a vacuum cleaner handy in case some critters made a bed so you don't unleash a horde of bugs in your house.

I've only been keeping up on this thread a bit, but if the buyer does in fact send you a different ps4 (internals or whole) hopefully sony will ban your old one that he's playing on now as stolen

Yep pretty certain that OP can call Sony and advise that it's been stolen via fraudulent methods.

Vashetti

Banned
I've only been keeping up on this thread a bit, but if the buyer does in fact send you a different ps4 (internals or whole) hopefully sony will ban your old one that he's playing on now as stolen

Not if I intend to get the police involved to get it back.

Akai__

If you are considering to call the police, in case it's really not your console, I'd suggest doing that immediately after you open it. I'd also record the opening of the package and make sure that in the video you can see the senders Name, Adress and Delivery Number, if these things are on the package. Maybe even a short introduction as to why you are recording it. Also best to have all the other evidence ready that you already collected, if you really want to go further with this.

Vanmunt

Banned
If it is not your console returned in the mystery box, if it ever arrives, I would report your original to sony as stolen. Seems the only recourse you have at this point.

I tend to give away my old consoles to friends and family, this story reaffirms this for me.

mocoworm

This thread has been incredible. It's right up there with the best of 2016.

When can we expect to find out what is in the box, Vashetti? This week?

Vashetti

Banned
This thread has been incredible. It's right up there with the best of 2016.

When can we expect to find out what is in the box, Vashetti? This week?

I'm currently staying with my parents, so if the box arrives in the next few days my partner should receive it. Don't know if he'll want me there to do the unboxing or not.

I'll keep you guys updated though.

Top Bottom