• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Don't you have the invoice of your OG PS4, that should have the serial number of the console.

OP should be able to go into his amazon account and find the order. Go to "Print Invoice 1" and get something like this:

WjbfhDF.jpg

I did it just now for my OG PS4. I guess the serial is on there under the product name.

playXray

I don't think that's the serial number. I just typed the beginning part in to Google and it linked me to a PS4/Killzone bundle on Amazon. It's an item code.

Yes it's not the serial - as far as I know the only way to get that is from the console itself.

Plasma

Banned
Take a picture of a friend's PS4 serial code and when he sends you the banned console dispute it. If he's going to scam you do it right back.

Synth

Take a picture of a friend's PS4 serial code and when he sends you the banned console dispute it. If he's going to scam you do it right back.

I think you've just described why actually having his original serial number wouldn't save him.

RS4-

I'm surprised there isn't a aerial number on the Amazon receipt.

I guess it's different with a retail store, both my receipts from best buy for my ps3 and 4 have em to stop people from being scummy. I know Walmart does this after people were pulling shit on them.

Balboa

I think you've just described why actually having his original serial number wouldn't save him.
Exactly, it will be just as easy for the buyer to claim the one you're saying isn't banned isn't the same one you sent him.

Condolences OP. You got scammed. This is why its a good idea to post a pic of console serial numbers in the eBay/Amazon ad when u sell it. I got scammed on Amazon once: Amazon fully refunded the piece of crap buyer *and* he got to keep the item. Total bullshit. But that's the way it goes with scum and online markets who only protect buyers. My own stance has evolved to "Never again." I'd rather eat glass than sell on eBay or Amazon again. The GAF BST thread or even Craigslist (as long as u wear a bullet-proof vest and do the transaction in front of a police station) would be a better bet. Lol

Synth

Condolences OP. You got scammed. This is why its a good idea to post a pic of console serial numbers in the eBay/Amazon ad when u sell it. I got scammed on Amazon once: Amazon fully refunded the piece of crap buyer *and* he got to keep the item. Total bullshit. But that's the way it goes with scum and online markets who only protect buyers. My own stance has evolved to "Never again." I'd rather eat glass than sell on eBay or Amazon again. The GAF BST thread or even Craigslist (as long as u wear a bullet-proof vest and do the transaction in front of a police station) would be a better bet. Lol

Seller: I'm selling this PS4 console, serial number XXXXXX789 as shown in image.
Buyer: Item is not as described. Serial number was actually XXXXXX123 and was for a banned console.
eBay/Paypal: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ovid

I know OP deactivated his sytem but wouldn't Sony still have all history related to your PSN account? Reach out to them and see if they can still recover the serial number.

BosSin

Cancel the credit/debit card linked to your paypal account and notify your bank that someone is trying to scam you through PayPal.

Justinh

ebay and paypal are made to fuck sellers over. i stopped selling anything on that website.

I feel like a giant dummy right now, since I just realized why ebay keeps sending me messages via ebay about "Play, Sell, Win!" "Give selling a try and get a $25 coupon" and "It's upgrade season! Sell your old phone for $x."

See if you can contact Sony to get the serial number.

In the meantime, bluff. Tell the buyer that you'll process the refund when you have the PS4 back in hand and verify the serial number with what you have recorded. Tell him if the serial number on the console doesn't match that you will report him for fraud in a heartbeat.

You don't have many, but this sounds like the best option to me.

Audioboxer

OP, best of luck. The horror stories around Ebay send chills to anyone's spine. A lot of people do sell okay but so many seem to get hit with nonsense.

I had it once. Guy claimed an HTC Desire I sold was faulty, sent back the box and kept the phone. He had 100% feedback and was a big seller. Ebay sided with me due to the fact I had proof of postage and the weight of the parcel. They went to the buyer for their proof of return and IIRC he either didn't provide anything, or his receipt had the weight lower than mine.

Was surprised at the time, even more shocked now given they seem to have gotten worse since I had my issue. I mean apart from phoning them I had to send photocopy evidence of my receipt with a letter in which I said I was contacting the police. Might have put some pressure on them.

I also tried phoning the number on his Ebay contact details to confront him and person who answered said wrong number lol.

Cancel the credit/debit card linked to your paypal account and notify your bank that someone is trying to scam you through PayPal.

Monster avatar, right? My man!

It it doesn't work out in the end there's always the police and/or the small claims court. Even if Ebay/Paypal don't accept that fraud has taken place doesn't mean it hasn't. The more people who take that approach the less these easy scams will seem like easy scams.

liquidtmd

Banned
Seller: I'm selling this PS4 console, serial number XXXXXX789 as shown in image.
Buyer: Item is not as described. Serial number was actually XXXXXX123 and was for a banned console.
eBay/Paypal: ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Pretty much.

eBay are absolutely dire for this. Fraudsters paradise

I would advise the buyer and eBay you are going to contact the police due to what you perceive as attempted fraud and actually report him.

Marlenus

From Amazon UK back in 2013.

Was it described as working online in the eBay listing or was it just described as fully working? If you made no mention of online functionality then as you are selling a piece of hardware it could easily be argued that fully working refers to the hardware only and to that end it was sold as described.

Just transfer any money in PayPal to your bank and remove the linked accounts for the time being tell the buyer it was as described and tell eBay the buyer is attempting to scam you. Wait for the resolution from eBay and if it goes in the buyers favour just open new accounts. As long as you made no mention of it working online in yhe listing the buyer will have no legal come back.

I think this is probably the best option. Notify your bank that someone is trying to rip you off and ensure the money doesn't leave your account (if it's not too late). Seeing as eBay doesn't give a fuck then close the account and consider it a lesson learned. Hopefully the bank will side with you, at least.

Just ask them to email you the serial number of the console they are sending back before they send it so you can confirm it is the same ps4.

Even though you don't know your number this should hopefully scare them off.

Sold my OG PS4 also per Ebay. Buyer claimed that the HDMI port was broken or something as it only showed blackscreen.

I have him/her send me back the PS4, which of course actually worked fine. I told ebay that the PS4 wasn't broken as claimed, but ebay sided with the buyer anyway and I lost the two shipping fees.

To OP, you need to find the serial number of your PS4. Even then, it would still be difficult to prove that the serial number you have in hand is the one from the auctioned PS4.

JSoup

Banned
This is why it's a good idea to look into setting up single purpose bank accounts with direct deposit, so you can dump the funds in cases like these.

Recently I sold my OG PS4 on eBay to make back some of the costs of my PS4 Pro purchase. This was a launch console that was used almost daily and was in perfect working condition.

I received an email from eBay earlier requesting that the buyer would like to return the PS4 for a full refund because

This is absolutely not the case, I played online with the console regularly and was constantly signed into PSN. Therefore the buyer is lying or there is something wrong they're doing on their end.

I've heard many stories of how eBay regularly sides with buyers over sellers. So what do GAF?

Tell him you have the serial code for the console and will be checking. If hes lying that should shut him up.

goonergaz

Unfortunately eBay will side with the buyer regardless...the buyer has far too much power these days, obviously great if you're buying - but if you're selling not so great...all you can do is damage limitation, partial refund or take it back and sell on again with info of the ban...it's shit but not much more you can do.

Bunch of cheap cheeky bastards on gumtree but so far 0 stabbings in my experience

Sold my PS4 on there a while back, got offers of golf clubs, xbox 360 with 60 games, weight bench, V-reg ford fiesta and £50..........

I was selling it for £150.

God Bless The United Kingdom of Great Britain.

But you're right, zero stabbings so far.

ebay and paypal are made to fuck sellers over. i stopped selling anything on that website.

Yeah, I know the number of people that try and scam are the minority. But stories like this have always scared me away from selling things worth a lot of money.

nel e nel

Doesn't eBay have a time limit where either party can file a claim? After which there is no recourse for either party?

Ahh, yes:

Timeline: You have 3 days from your receipt of the item to either contact the seller in writing or file your claim. Your claim must be filed no more than 45 days after the listing end date. The exceptions to this rule are stolen items and items with undisclosed liens. In those cases, you have up to 6 months from the listing end date to file a claim.

Marlenus

Some posters are making this too complex. Empty your PayPal accounts, unlink your connected bank and credit card accounts and tell the buyer it was sold as described and if something has broken since it left your hands it is not your problem. eBay will side with the buyer no matter what.

The buyer can take you to small claims court but that costs money and he would have to prove that your description was misleading which they are not going to do for a scam.

cube001

Just call his bluff and tell him that you think he's a fraud and you're going to contact the police with the evidence you have. Hope this plays well for you, good luck.

kamakazi5

Some posters are making this too complex. Empty your PayPal accounts, unlink your connected bank and credit card accounts and tell the buyer it was sold as described and if something has broken since it left your hands it is not your problem. eBay will side with the buyer no matter what.

The buyer can take you to small claims court but that costs money and he would have to prove that your description was misleading which they are not going to do for a scam.

Is the seller able to take the person to small claims over something like this? From a financial perspective it doesn't make sense most likely but just over the principle of it.

Marlenus

Is the seller able to take the person to small claims over something like this? From a financial perspective it doesn't make sense most likely but just over the principle of it.

If the seller does not issue a refund then no, not really as what is the claim for? He can report the attempt to the police but they are unlikely to do anything about it.

If the seller does issue a refund and has proof that a fraud took place he can go to small claims as he will nolonger have his original console.

OP, have you tried to message the seller telling him that you documented every piece of info from the console and that you will check the S/N once returned? Something like "I documented everything and the console was working when shipped. If you're having any issue regarding the online service, please contact Sony."
You made a mistake but I'd expect him to also make a mistake and just back off. Also, did you have any info on the listing regarding online connectivity?

Also, empty your balance and unlink you bank account. Drag the process long enough until you get your balance unto you bank account.

BigEmil

As others have said. Nuke the account. Deny all knowledge.
If you sold something within 30 days paypal and ebay won't let you delete your account as far as I remember that's what happened to my bro. In UK atleast maybe it's different in US though OP's also from UK

Top Bottom