• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

GazzaGSi

My old PayPal account has been in a negative balance by several hundred pounds since 2010 when I sold a phone on ebay and got scammed. Other than afew letters through the post saying this and that will happen if I don't pay it, nothing came of it so as long as your balance is 0 in PayPal it will just go to a minus figure and you won't be able to use PayPal until that negative figure is back to 0.

If it gets to the stage where it is returned don't forget he has to provide proof that it has been delivered back to you so if it's not sent signed for then play dumb saying you haven't received it and if you're not in to receive it then leave it at the sorting office. Even better if it's left with a neighbour as you haven't received it so PayPal won't refund him until proof is shown you have it.

pbsapeer

Banned
If it gets to the stage where it is returned don't forget he has to provide proof that it has been delivered back to you so if it's not sent signed for then play dumb saying you haven't received it and if you're not in to receive it then leave it at the sorting office. Even better if it's left with a neighbour as you haven't received it so PayPal won't refund him until proof is shown you have it.
This is actually a good idea. I vote this OP

Rezae

Last console I sold (original Xbox, tons of games, right before 360 announcement) on eBay got me a chargeback. I had proof of delivery. He said he didn't order it. He never sent it back. My Paypal went negative.

Don't trust online selling of high value electronics at all.

N° 2048

Last console I sold (original Xbox, tons of games, right before 360 announcement) on eBay got me a chargeback. I had proof of delivery. He said he didn't order it. He never sent it back. My Paypal went negative.

That's messed up.

rjinaz

You blew it then. I don't sell anything over $100 on eBay anymore

I'm currently a powerseller on ebay, and this is my advice as well. If you keep it under $100 you are far less likely to run into scammers. That's not to say they don't exist and there are always shitty customers but you'll have a smooth transaction 9/10 times or better.

As for the OP, tell him you have the serial number so you'll be making sure it's the exact same console before you refund the money. Might scare them away.

Fuchsdh

Someone tried that on me with a copy of Quantum Break. I pointed out to Paypal if the guy had never ordered it, it was kind of weird he was asking me questions about the product before and after I sold it to him. They sided with me, unsurprisingly.

Frankly I doubt we're any more likely to have people scam you over big stuff than the little things; people will try and fuck you over no matter what. Haven't had any issues selling iPads and old MacBooks, and eBay has certainly protected me from crappy sellers more often (like the guy who sent a computer in literally nothing but a cardboard box it rolled around in transit in.)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yep. Haven't sold anything on eBay for years because of fuckwits like this scammer. It's just not worth the hassle.

So what's the plan OP. What are you going to do?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
People keep saying to nuke the account... it won't work. PP won't let you delete your account if you've sold something and received payment in the last 30 days afaik, maybe it's different now but I doubt it

Vuze

Sold my PS4 on there a while back, got offers of golf clubs, xbox 360 with 60 games, weight bench, V-reg ford fiesta and £50..........

I was selling it for £150.

God Bless The United Kingdom of Great Britain.

But you're right, zero stabbings so far.
All small ads sites are like this I guess. Tried to sell a GPU for 150€ on German craigslist once.

"I'm a poor arts student, can you go 50 lower"
"80€ shipped"
"I'll give you my 20€ GPU and a steam key"

It's incredibly tiring. You'll eventually get rid of your stuff for a decent price but the amount of dumbfuck messages you have to read and ignore is incredible.

Anyway, good luck OP. I also stopped selling high value stuff on eBay and selling in general to sub 20 stars people and offering PayPal.

Marlenus

People keep saying to nuke the account... it won't work. PP won't let you delete your account if you've sold something and received payment in the last 30 days afaik, maybe it's different now but I doubt it

You don't delete it but you transfer the funds out and remove the ties to your bank accounts so the PP balance goes negative when the buyer wins his complaint.

Chobel

Seller: I'm selling this PS4 console, serial number XXXXXX789 as shown in image.
Buyer: Item is not as described. Serial number was actually XXXXXX123 and was for a banned console.
eBay/Paypal: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's funny and maddening at the same time. Is there anything the seller can do to protect themselves from situations like this?

Ogawa-san

I'm surprised you even have a recourse using eBay.

For us here, using "latin america's eBay" (Mercado Libre), you don't see the money until the buyer clicks a button on his side saying the transaction went okay, and he has up to two weeks to do it. He could say it was banned, ship back a literal brick, and you'd be holding a beautiful L.

It's great for buying stuff since you're well covered, but I'm a hoarder because there's no way I'm selling anything there.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Where in Nigeria did you send it?
You know, as a person of Nigerian heritage, I ask that you don't do this. It's really annoying that this stereotype is only associated with my country.

Thanks

horkrux

That's funny and maddening at the same time. Is there anything the seller can do to protect themselves from situations like this?

You can apply restrictions on who can bid on your items. At least that improves your chances of not getting screwed. If it still happens though, you're probably fucked. They used to offer this on the auction creation page, but funnily enough it's hidden in your account settings now..

In my glorious stupidity i tried selling a digital item on ebay last year. On a foreign ebay side, because we couldn't privately sell items rated for adults at the time in Germany. Yeah.. gotta love chargebacks. It's really nice that nowadays bundled games come almost exclusively as keys. Selling them will be so much fun.

If you're planning on selling your console/phone on eBay. Toss it in the bin, punch yourself in the nuts a few and set fire to some banknotes. Same net effect.

TacosNSalsa

trading things in at Amazon. I can guarantee that a bunch of the people here who traded in PS4s recently and took the instant credit are going to regret it.

Okay..this is a worrying comment. I just sent in a PS4 trade in to Amazon , like 3 days ago...what's wrong with them ? What should I be on the look out for?

Clockwork

I sold my PS4 to upgrade to the Pro via Facebook Marketplace.

It worked great.

Also slightly better than Craigslist as inquiries are attached to the person's FB profile so you can determine if they seem shady or not.

Couldn't the buyer have used the PS4 and got it banned for the trolls as well and trying to send it back? There are weird people out there.

I think the other explanation is more likely that he just wants to swap out his banned PS4 for a good one.

Tripon

I dont know why selling on Craigslist is an issue. I have done it a couple of times. You set a public place to meet, and a time and of he comes great, or if not, then you still have your item.

I usually pick a diner/restaurant so I can get something to eat while I wait.

Syrus

Banned
I dont know why selling on Craigslist is an issue. I have done it a couple of times. You set a public place to meet, and a time and of he comes great, or if not, then you still have your item.

I usually pick a diner/restaurant so I can get something to eat while I wait.

Always gas station unless item is a TV then I hook it up on my garage.

Luckily I sold my TV on facebook market so I could see the person before inviting to my house. Was old woman lol.

i am sorry, i need help with a dispute too. i dont want to open up a new thread. but if anyone who speaks french. please help me/ pm me.

sold a NEW copy of the battlefield 1 early enlister ps4 edition to a guy in french and this is what they said in paypal.

"La clé édition de luxe bf1 n est pas valide ou expiré Sony demande donc de bien vouloir me reprendre le jeu ou d en renvoyer un autre je préfère le remboursement merci à vous"

Iced Arcade

If you sold something within 30 days paypal and ebay won't let you delete your account as far as I remember that's what happened to my bro. In UK atleast maybe it's different in US though OP's also from UK
true and wouldn't let me remove my credit card. so I picked up a pre paid visa and replaced my actual credit card.

N° 2048

i am sorry, i need help with a dispute too. i dont want to open up a new thread. but if anyone who speaks french. please help me/ pm me.

sold a NEW copy of the battlefield 1 early enlister ps4 edition to a guy in french and this is what they said in paypal.

"La clé édition de luxe bf1 n est pas valide ou expiré Sony demande donc de bien vouloir me reprendre le jeu ou d en renvoyer un autre je préfère le remboursement merci à vous"

Google translate
'"The key bf1 luxury edition is not valid or expired Sony therefore asks to kindly pick me up the game or send another one I prefer the refund thank you to you"'

Sarcasm

Something about not valid and wants a refund.

fernoca

Google translate
'"The key bf1 luxury edition is not valid or expired Sony therefore asks to kindly pick me up the game or send another one I prefer the refund thank you to you"'

Something about not valid and wants a refund.
Yep.
What was the region of the game?
Where's the buyer from?

Codes need to match the region of the account. So a NTSC code can only be redeemed in a NTSC account.

If you specified the region and the buyer bought it from another despite that, is not your fault.

Sarcasm

Yep.
Where's the buyer from?

Codes need to match the region of the account. So a NTSC code can only be redeemed in a NTSC account.

If you specified the region and the buyer bought it from another despite that, is not your fault.

PS games are region free. Only movies are blocked.

Yep.
Where's the buyer from?

i send him a USA copy. he lives in France.

is downloadable content region lock?

Sarcasm

PSN codes are region locked. If it's a US code, you need a US account.

That is why there is so much trouble with imports and DLC.

Guess hits is most likely the issue. I would have found out sooner or later I guess. AS I buy all my JP games locally physically. (Taiwan here). JP Vita, NA PSN.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Scambay is a shit hole. been reading on how the scams work... NOPE Sellers are fucked out of money 100% when scammed.

no matter how you do the transaction even on "No Refunds" means shit all to ebay and will still allow them to get their money back from you no matter what.

Shitty thing is is that the buyer can ship back anything back to you and keep the product or not send back anything at all because Ebay doesn't check for shit.

Yesterday.

(as noted im my previous post I used Facebook Marketplace)

Gamestop was giving out $187.50 for 500gb PS4 and $190 for 1TB Xbox One's 10 days ago during a 2 day 50% trade in promo. Thats gone now, trade value is only $125, but it was a great week to trade in launch systems and upgrade to PS4Pro/Xbox One S, especially since the latter came with free games and stuff plus I got $40 credit for my copies of gears 4, mafia 3, etc which I put towards the PS4 Pro.

I'd still prefer to trade into gamestop rather than a person since one is close to my house, I have hundreds in existing gamestop credit I can put towards purchases, and I don't have to worry at all about any scam.

fernoca

is there a workaround? like switch your PS4 to a different region? to get the downloadable content? is that possible?
Would need to create a NA account and redeem the code there and then play the game with the regular account. . . but!

If the code redeems a DLC, that works. If it redeems a service (it doesn't download anything) it only works in the account it was redeemed.

You could advise the buyer about this and whole thing about regions on PS4.

If the buyer wants a refund, then just say that you will issue a partial refund since the buyer bought a new game from a different region, opened it and to cover listing fees. And that only will go through once the game arrives.

If the buyer files a claim, then explain the exact same thing: buyer bought a game knowing it was from a different region and wanted a refund when part of it didn't worked.

peetfeet

is there a workaround? like switch your PS4 to a different region? to get the downloadable content? is that possible?

If he wants to redeem the code he will need to create a US account if he hasn't already got one and then redeem the code on that account. He will be fine playing the game in his usual account afterwards including the dlc. Though point out that any new dlc he buys for it will have to be from the us account. Games are region free but not the dlc, that has to come from the same region store as the game.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Hopefully the OP calls the posters bluff with the serial number and/or internal marking trick.

RexFury

What is going on? Not only me, but my partner is also interested in knowing what is happening. We have to know so we can then move on with the rest of our lives.

What is going on? Not only me, but my partner is also interested in knowing what is happening. We have to know so we can then move on with the rest of our lives.

OP tried to bluff but the buyer drove to his house and hit him with the PS4

PayPal tried to help but they got a PS4 to the head too

Top Bottom