• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

doby

This sort of thread scares me when I've recently sold £20k worth of high value electrical items on eBay. I do document all serial numbers though in a photo with the buyers address (postage label) as well as a photo of the item boxed just before I seal it up.

If you have evidence you're more likely to succeed against scammers.

If you ever receive an item back from a potential scammer always record yourself opening the package.

messiaen

OP, does your router remember older devices that were connected to it? Most do and that'll tell you your PS4's MAC address. You should be able to verify with Sony when or if your PS4 was a banned. MAC addresses are more than likely how they actually ban consoles.

"La clé édition de luxe bf1 n est pas valide ou expiré Sony demande donc de bien vouloir me reprendre le jeu ou d en renvoyer un autre je préfère le remboursement merci à vous"
Edit: Hey, I might be moving to Paris next year for school.

It says "The BF1 deluxe edition key is either expired or not valid. If you could refund me or send another code I'd really appreciate it.

Am_I_Evil

Craigslist almost has the opposite problem of eBay where the buyer can be pretty much SOL with a broken product. Assuming you don't meet at the seller's house, it can be pretty difficult to track them down after the transaction is complete. If it's a cash transaction probably near impossible unless you happen to run into them by chance somewhere. Texts, calls, and emails can pretty easily be ignored.

Everything there is basically sold 'as is' and the buyer is assuming that risk after the transaction is complete.

the buyer sent me a pretty threatening facebook message mentioning my wife (found me, i'm assuming by using my phone number which i checked and FB said was off but obviously isn't working...) but since i called him out on the scam (i was ignoring texts/calls) he hasn't said a thing

I'm sorry for your loss OP, but stop using eBay. Just stop. Buy stuff there but don't sell. Go another route. You might make less, but it's worth it. I've been doing Amazon trade in for electronics and Swappa for my mobile devices. I get less, but fuck it's worth not worrying now or 3 months from now a shit ass buyer wants to claim something is wrong when it's not so they can make out with a free item.

ChrisD

Yeeeeeah, censor that stuff before posting it. Take it down and block out info if you absolutely want to post the pics

Sealtest

I can't wait to see what the reply is after you send those.

My only concern is how will Ebay take this as proof of him trying to scam you.

Vashetti

Banned
I just replied on the eBay return status page, requesting the buyer please provide the serial number of the console.

I'm hoping to then catch him out if he provides the wrong number. Or catch him if he provides the correct number by attaching all this information direct from Sony.

LordOfChaos

Update 1:

Seems like a good start. You sent that to ebay I assume? What did they say?
Edit: Oh, right above me.

mod edit - pics removed

Returners

I just replied on the eBay return status page, requesting the buyer please provide the serial number of the console.

I'm hoping to then catch him out if he provides the wrong number. Or catch him if he provides the correct number by attaching all this information direct from Sony.

Naise!

FHIZ

I've sold a couple of consoles on eBay and luckily never had to deal with this. Worst part is eBay makes it practically impossible to leave negative feedback for a buyer. It'd be great if you could just simply warn people "yeah this dude is a scammer"

ChrisD

I can't wait to see what the reply is after you send those.

My only concern is how will Ebay take this as proof of him trying to scam you.

I assume he should be able to contact Customer Support now and they can cross-examine OP's proofs to the buyer's statements. With word coming straight from Sony's support themselves I would like to think that eBay will side properly.

This is definitely good as well. If he does squirm his way out, I'd send the stuff to eBay anyways; it's VERY clear what's happening, and he needs shut down from further attempts. Pretty sure there's a place you can still report people on even if things are resolved.

Rellik

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out now because normally they don't give a toss about evidence unless the law is involved. I hope they do in this case.

Nice. Having the SN and getting confirmation from Sony should be enough to stop eBay from letting this guy screw you.

And if that's not the case, at least you have the information you need to consider filing a police report or opening a dispute with eBay/PayPal if you need to.

You should be fine, though.

BigEmil

I hope that scammer gets banned off eBay & PayPal entirely or something, but I've a feeling nothing bad will happen to him at all and he'll try it with someone else eventually and win

Krakn3Dfx

Looks like the op has the leg up on this Ebay scammer he's dealing with. Best case is he get this guy banned from Ebay and doesn't have to give up his earnings from the sale.

RedFury

Not to be negative if he sends the console back anyway won't he "win". Shit if he can send a box rocks and get away with it what does it matter if he sends a different console proof or no proof. To add salt to the wound this ass hole can send you a large dildo with a hand written card that simply says "get fucked" even with your proof. This is shear stupidity and it's not right. Why would anyone sale anything on there without seller protection wtf?

Gurnlei

Not to be negative if he sends the console back anyway won't he "win". Shit if he can send a box rocks and get away with it what does it matter if he sends a different console proof or no proof. To add salt to the wound this ass hole can send you a large dildo with a hand written card that simply says "get fucked" even with your proof. This is shear stupidity and it's not right. Why would anyone sale anything on there without seller protection wtf?

I think the proof OP has is enough for eBay to side in his favor.

ChrisD

OP's got proof now to hopefully prevent the console from being sent back... Or any refund given.

sphinx

the piano man
can't ths scammer just say "oh, ok, you got me" cancel the dispute and that be the end of it?

I mean OP would keep his money but I wouldn't say that justice prevailed.

that shithead belongs banned for life on every online buy/sell store.

Garibaldi

While I hope this works out for you. What's stopping the buyer from just saying you sent them his broken console? There is actually no proof you sent the console with the serial you discussed with the Sony rep. I don't think this will be the silver bullet you need.

Hairsplash

I think this sounds like the best idea.

But is there any way to find out the serial number? Would Amazon have that information?

This is your one piece of good luck... (sort of)
amazon absolutely would have the serial number... because they need it to verify your return, if you had done so.

Even though it is was purchased in 2013' amazon keeps all of your order history.

You may need to contact amazon CS, if it is not listed in the order.
I preordered a ps4pro from bestbuy.ca, yet my order history (or the online receipt) does not have the serial number listed
Bestbuy.ca would have to have the serial number in the system... due to return issues.

Gong

I've been following this thread and have been appalled at the behaviour of the rotten dog fucker of a person trying to scam you. Sony seems to have done you a solid OP, I hope this helps you not get fucked over by ebay/Paypal. Keep us updated please.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
LMAO

While I hope this works out for you. What's stopping the buyer from just saying you sent them his broken console? There is actually no proof you sent the console with the serial you discussed with the Sony rep. I don't think this will be the silver bullet you need.

That's my thought as well... No real proof was shown that the serial number in question was indeed sent to the buyer. I hope it works out for you OP!

RedFury

This is what I was getting at. The BURDEN Of PROOF in this case is on the seller. If you don't have a receipt or a copy with serial or ID this shit bag can get away with it if he doesn't bow out after you confront him.

Edit: Get on getting your serial from Amazon. The burden of proof is on YOU so get it ASAP.

OP's got proof now to hopefully prevent the console from being sent back... Or any refund given.
Yeah, but the scammer can keep the PS4 anyways and send back a dildo with a note that says "Get Fucked".

In the end, the scammer will win if he really wants to.

Top Bottom