• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sombody got their ds a little early

Ironclad

jooey said:
I sincerely hope nintendo will be selling packs of those cases soon, because they'd be great for slickly storing gba games.
Not a bad idea, as long as they don't charge an arm and a leg for it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
jett said:
The spanish translation is for Latin America in general, actually, not just Mexico. :p

I said Mexico because I wasn't sure if Nintendo distributed their products in Central/South America.

neptunes said:
I actually got it from gamefaqs. (not ds central)

so...uhh yeah!

Ah, couldn't tell, nevermind then. It's made its rounds to a lot of sites, I saw it on IGN, Nintendo.com, a ton of places.

Ironclad_Ninja said:
Striker, I read on another message board that appearantly the guy who took the pictures works for Nintendo, and they received their DS' early. I doubt Nintendo would give the DS out at a summit.

My editor was at the summit today (you can see his impressions of the system here: http://www.planetgamecube.com/impressions.cfm?action=profile&id=718) and he said the system they used to demo came straight out of a retail box. I drew a conclusion that if the systems were done and boxed, it wouldn't be all to unlikley that they gave them out at the summit to those in attendance. It'd be cheaper than shipping them out to the same people a few days later.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
is that really what the front end looks like? is it intentionally crude, or did they have no space left in the rom once they'd crammed in pictochat?

neptunes

StrikerObi, I believe the guy is a game promoter, and he'll be one of the game promoters at the too much fun tour thats starting this weekend in canada. (like the nintendo street team)

They'll have metroid prime 2 echoes and other games for people to play.

neptunes said:
StrikerObi, I believe the guy is a game promoter, and he'll be one of the game promoters at the too much fun tour thats starting this weekend in canada. (like the nintendo street team)

They'll have metroid prime 2 echoes and other games for people to play.

Right-O, that's pretty rad of him.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ironclad_Ninja said:
Striker, I read on another message board that appearantly the guy who took the pictures works for Nintendo, and they received their DS' early. I doubt Nintendo would give the DS out at a summit.

This is correct

seismologist said:
eh? It's like an SP with a higher quality screen :\

No it's not, at least not the version I held. It's got a cheaper build quality to it and I don't like the screens as much either. I think the problem is that they have limited viewing angles and both screens are at different angles so it's hard to get a good view of both.

ferricide

drohne said:
is that really what the front end looks like? is it intentionally crude, or did they have no space left in the rom once they'd crammed in pictochat?
personally i think it looks rather nice / tasteful in person. these are shitty digicam pics.

either way, once you use it, it's clear it's an intentional stylistic choice.

Marty Chinn said:
No it's not, at least not the version I held. It's got a cheaper build quality to it and I don't like the screens as much either.

Which version was that? Last impressions I read they seemed really impressed by the quality.

hooo

boooy
Marty Chinn said:
No it's not, at least not the version I held. It's got a cheaper build quality to it and I don't like the screens as much either. I think the problem is that they have limited viewing angles and both screens are at different angles so it's hard to get a good view of both.

So true, and what's even crazier, is that you can't see how bad it looks in those pics posted. Photoshops for sure...

Sagitario

Ironclad_Ninja said:
Nintendo has been in the Latin American for a while now.

Yes, they have been... but they do not distribute their products directly, 3rd parties sell them... a few years ago it was Gamela for México and now is Motta Int. (that's why games cost between $80-100 dlls. here -___- ).

seismologist said:
Which version was that? Last impressions I read they seemed really impressed by the quality.

These were definitely final designs. I used one about a week and a half ago playing Spider-Man 2 on it. I think part of the cheaper feel to it is the DS has this slight gloss coating to it that makes it seem like cheap plastic that the SP doesn't have. I literally sat there for a few minutes just constantly changing the angle I was holding it because I didn't like how the screens looked. I was pertty let down to be honest.

Fifty

:(

From Striker's link about the screen
Such scratches might be such that you could buff them out with a cloth. The protective cover layer was clearly removable, but NOA employees indicated that the company would not be selling replacements, but rather asking consumers to send the system in for repair if the touchscreen gets too scratched up. Some third-party companies are planning to sell their own protective layers, however.

Sounds alot like first impressions of the GBA SP. I remember alot of people trashing it too at first. The first time I held one I thought it seemed cheap too.

lexi

Banned
I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised. From these impressions, It sounds like the DS may kill my parents and rape my sister.

AirBrian

Craig Majaski said:
I just got back from a 3 day event at NOA, and I just happened to snap some pics of the DS cases they had there. Here's the inside of one of the cases they had on display in their retail section at their headquarters.

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2004/11/5-21

I'm also going to have a ton of news and impressions of the DS and its games as well as Metroid Prime, Mario Tennis, Mario Party 6, Zelda Minish Cap and more on Sunday afternoon. I'm dead tired right now and have to write all the stuff up yet! So check out the front page Sunday night ;) (Yeah, there's a front page!)
What is this "front page" you speak of?

Looking forward to the Mario Tennis impressions!

I guess another guy on gamqfaqs got one too

If any of you are interested. I've also just got mine :D

Finished the metroid demo and I'll just say this. From the INSTANT that I held the thing I was sold

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Mrbob

^^^^

Sounds like a hardcore Nintendo fanboy too if he was sold the instant he held the device.

I'm most worried about scratches on the screen.

lexi

Banned
If the build quality and durability are my biggest concern, than I'm probably going to be happy with the DS. My brother is still using the GC that I stress-tested.

lexi

Banned
Jade Knight 08 said:
Metroid Prime Hunters in the pix above.... Is it a full game or just a demo?

Demo. The full game will be releasing next year. Although it doesn't specify on the cart that it is a demo, for some reason.

My biggest problem right now is the screens and feel of the buttons. I never had to fiddle with holding a Nintendo handheld so much before to get an angle that I liked. I never complained about having trouble seeing on the original GBA when people wanted a back light. I simply just didn't like how it looked and I was in a darkened room while playing it. I eventually got used to it, but it felt very washed out and like an old passive matrix lcd screen.

Marty I read that the screens are best viewed when it's in the "locked" position. I'm not sure if that's all the way open or what.

Q) What seems to be the best position for the screens?

A) Easily the first "Snap" location. It's great and allows a really good viewing angle. The screens are really friggin bright and they look crystal clear.

neptunes

All taken from a webcam

blurryshit.jpg

huntersds.jpg

boxback.jpg

:lol horrible!

I played the today at a Too Much Fun tour location. The d-pad is nice size for my thumbs, and the buttons felt right for me. They only had Metroid: First Hunt, which is kinda cool, but I think it was the E3 build. The unit is light, and I had no problem holding it with one hand.
I think I have to play Mario 64 until I can make final opinions.

Pictochat is good fun too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
From the promo pics, the new DS looked very solid and quality of build and plastic looked great. From these photos it looks barely any different in that regard from the old prototype (it obviously has nicer shape, though). It actually looks cheaper than SP, which I'm not very fond of either when it comes to plastic etc... Then again, I'm coming from the PDA background where devices look, and are expensive, so it's maybe unfair comparision.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Mrbob said:
^^^^

Sounds like a hardcore Nintendo fanboy too if he was sold the instant he held the device.

I'm most worried about scratches on the screen.

You seem sold on a game without touching it.

Leave the trolling to the big boys.

lexi

Banned
Mrbob said:
I wasn't trolling. If I was trolling there would be over 300 responses in this thread right now. :D

You didn't throw in a 'It's past Nintendo fans bedtime anyway' joke? I'm dissapointed.

Mrbob said:
I wasn't trolling. If I was trolling there would be over 300 responses in this thread right now. :D

No you're just bad at it so you backpeddle! LOL

Obvious crap all the time = Mrbob

Mrbob

:lol

Ahhh, yes. I must thank you guys. My powers have not diminished. I'm not even trying to troll and I can still get responses!

Willco

Hollywood Square
Society said:
It is the same as the Gamer's Summit... and still boring.

You can only be enthralled by tapping people to death for so long. The Nintendo DS is like an overrated PDA at this point!

Willco said:
You can only be enthralled by tapping people to death for so long. The Nintendo DS is like an overrated PDA at this point!

Well to be technical, the Gamer's Summit featured a controlled scheme that took away the tapping.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Willco said:

The GS version has all three control schemes. Tapkilling, 'mouse look' with L to fire, and D-Pad. The game still has no direction. Just a tech demo that rapes the Metroid name.

Top Bottom