• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some of Black Mesa Source finally has a release date

VashTS

I don't believe it!!! I bet the world will end in 11 days! HA!

Also, ending before the xen levels would be best, those were probably the worst parts of half life.

Time to break out all the hyperbolic posts made by GAF posters who hated on this project, if they dare play this after all the shit they gave it.

xJavonta

Banned
Time to break out all the hyperbolic posts made by GAF posters who hated on this project, if they dare play this after all the shit they gave it.

I'm one of the people who gave it shit for it's bad VA, but I'm still going to try it. Maybe it'll play really well, but that doesn't change my opinion on the shitty VA.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But really, they said the first installment will be playable up to the Lambada Core.... which is the area before the Xen levels.

The cynical take on this approach is that the consensus on this release will inform the decision on whether or not to complete the final part of the game.

I'm one of the people who gave it shit for it's bad VA, but I'm still going to try it. Maybe it'll play really well, but that doesn't change my opinion on the shitty VA.

Voice acting is one thing, shitting on it for every conceivable reason is another.

Uh... whoa. This is pretty cool, even if it is just a portion of the game.

The voice acting was terribad in the leaked video. But I'll still give this a shot since it's free and I have nothing to lose.
Yeah, because, you know, the original voice acting was some award winning shit yaknowhumsayin'?

Alfredo

Aren't the Xen parts of the game considered the worst part anyway? I mean, it's be cool if they could greatly imprIve Xen, but I wouldn't really miss it.

Spierek

come-make-me-moist_614.jpg

Day 1 pur... free download.

tborsje

Wow, I've been following this mod since I read the initial announcement of the start of the project on planethalflife.com, I think that it was even before the release of Half Life 2 itself.

They've taking their time, but hey, it's free. I'm looking forwards to actually playing it.

qq more

∀ Narayan;41667826 said:
Yeah, because, you know, the original voice acting was some award winning shit yaknowhumsayin'?

The voice acting in the original was cheesy good though.

nyong

Banned
Most overhyped mod ever.

All this time and we're only getting a fraction of the original game? From what I've seen, that fraction is going to taint the original's memory too. Abort this monstrocity before it's too late, IMO.

Perkel

Banned
Most overhyped mod ever.

All this time and we're only getting a fraction of the original game? From what I've seen, that fraction is going to taint the original's memory too. Abort this monstrocity before it's too late, IMO.

It's before XEN that's almost whole game.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
It's going to end up sucking. For whatever reason, all the extra development time will not have helped improve the game, and will just result in inflated expectations.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I am happy that this is even getting a release. Without the Xen portions, you are not missing much as everyone agree's that was the weakest part of HL1. I am keeping my expectations in check because it is just a mod even with the ridiculous development time.

Now lets see if they will actually release on that date though.

Rapstah

Releasing beta versions and allowing the community to test it out is what they should have been doing all along. I don't think they'll ever get Xen to play or look good though. It relies heavily on blocky 1997 graphics and it's the most hated part of the original gameplay-wise. If they're redesigning the gameplay it's going to have to be entirely changed.

Hell yeah. Probably won't play it for awhile, but I gotta congratulate these guys for finally putting it out. I remember it was soooooo long ago when this project first started. I think it's amazing that it's actually happening. I thought the footage they showed looked pretty fun too.

tci

I can't believe it. 8 years now. It will never live up to expectations though. Still looking forward to finally play it!

Sober

Aren't the Xen parts of the game considered the worst part anyway? I mean, it's be cool if they could greatly imprIve Xen, but I wouldn't really miss it.
I don't remember Xen in HL1 really well. I guess that's a good thing. I hadn't kept up with BM's development since, I dunno, 2005. So I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't been working on Xen too much to begin with.

Top Bottom