• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some of Black Mesa Source finally has a release date

Perkel

Banned
I don't remember Xen in HL1 really well. I guess that's a good thing. I hadn't kept up with BM's development since, I dunno, 2005. So I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't been working on Xen too much to begin with.

They are working on it it will be just released later.

The M.O.B

Half-Life is a really long game, especially for a shooter.

Releasing part of a mod that is longer than 90% of most FPS's for free is great.

Whether or not this mod turns out good is the question, but hey it's free.

Half-life never had good voice acting or dialogue, if you think it did then that is nostalgia talking.

That is not the date I expected to see.

Yeah. I totally expected to see "Never."

Am I the only one who didn't mind Xen outside of the long jumps at the start?

Nah. I didn't have a problem with Xen, really.

Half-life never had good voice acting or dialogue, if you think it did then that is nostalgia talking.

I won't say HL1 had great dialogue or voice acting, but I'll tell you one thing: the voice acting in that gameplay footage released a while back was not better or even as good.

Perkel

Banned
Half-Life is a really long game, especially for a shooter.

Releasing part of a mod that is longer than 90% of most FPS's for free is great.

Whether or not this mod turns out good is the question, but hey it's free.

this.

pa22word

It must be a cold day in hell when BMS actually has a release date...and people are bitching that they don't get to play through Xen.

Teppic

The amount of whining this mod receives is unbelievable. Like little kids demanding their Christmas presents to be good.

The M.O.B

I won't say HL1 had great dialogue or voice acting, but I'll tell you one thing: the voice acting in that gameplay footage released a while back was not better or even as good.

Perhaps not, but it's about what I would expect from a mod. I've played a billion HL/HL2 mods, many with voice acting that I would consider "decent" for a free mod. In reality, much of it would be awful if I was paying. I'd consider the small clips we have heard from Black Mesa Source to be decent for a mod, it's a bunch of dudes trying desperately to force their voice to sound like tough guys.

I think the biggest problem this team faces is people are not expecting a quality mod. They are expecting a remake of one of the greatest games of all time like it has Valve's name on it or something. People need to come to terms that no matter what it's based off of, it's still a source mod, just like Minerva was, just like Research And Development, and Nightmare House, and Mission Improbable. It's just a source mod that is trying to make a full source version of Half-Life. It's a tough task, and I didn't necessarily ask for it but I am willing to accept this "present" that is full of hardwork and see if it's good.

Some would say "Then they shouldn't have done it at all if they are not able to faithfully remake Half-Life". To that I would argue "Why Not?"

Ban Puncher

Duke Nukem Forever, Black Mesa.....now what am I supposed to point and giggle at in regard to development hell?

Final Fantasy XIII Versus? Fucking small time.

jambo

Soundtrack is pretty good so far, about 6 tracks in.

Looking forward to the more aggressive stuff in the later sections of the soundtrack.

Dilly

Banned
Too bad, was looking forward to see Xen reworked.

However, I'm still looking forward to the initial release.

Perhaps not, but it's about what I would expect from a mod. I've played a billion HL/HL2 mods, many with voice acting that I would consider "decent" for a free mod. In reality, much of it would be awful if I was paying. I'd consider the small clips we have heard from Black Mesa Source to be decent for a mod, it's a bunch of dudes trying desperately to force their voice to sound like tough guys.

I think the biggest problem this team faces is people are not expecting a quality mod. They are expecting a remake of one of the greatest games of all time like it has Valve's name on it or something. People need to come to terms that no matter what it's based off of, it's still a source mod, just like Minerva was, just like Research And Development, and Nightmare House, and Mission Improbable. It's just a source mod that is trying to make a full source version of Half-Life. It's a tough task, and I didn't necessarily ask for it but I am willing to accept this "present" that is full of hardwork and see if it's good.

Some would say "Then they shouldn't have done it at all if they are not able to faithfully remake Half-Life". To that I would argue "Why Not?"

The people behind Black Mesa should hope it's anywhere near as good as Minerva.

But yeah, I agree: for a mod, it's better than expected.

Ironsights in weapons is the new rage fuel.

You can turn it off

Gameoptions.png

(I don't know where this came from, but it's the game options)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So since it'll end at Lambda Core, that's very close to the end anyway so... might download now.

eot

Banned
Yes the voice acting is bad but try to keep some perspective. It's a fan project, made for free and released for free, you don't need to comb it for imperfections. For what it's worth the final version will have radio filters over the soldier voices.

Amish

Neo Member
finally :D when was the first time they announced it? seems like centuries ago

when they started this project i guess there where no kickstarter or anything, just a fan project.. so i cant blame them for using such a long time and having bad voice acting.

Top Bottom