• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| googoo g'joob googoo g'joob

According to the leaderboards I'm ranked...

79th in City Escape
65th in Metal Harbor
49th in Green Forest
14th in Aquatic Mine (Seriously...?)
19th in Cannon's Core

Emitan

Why am I spending my free time trying to do glitches and speedrun tricks in this game I think is "Okay" at best?

Got underneath the tower in Meteor Herd without opening the shield (where you get the Sunglasses). Couldn't get out though lol

Oh good, SA2 HD ranks leaderboards by score, not time. Even though games like Sonic 4 have separate leaderboards for score and time individually.

Way to discourage getting faster times, Sega!

Iizuka-sama: "Faster times? *laughs* I think it's important to truly appreciate the hard work that went into this masterpiece, so we've removed the need for a 'fastest time' leaderboard. This way, you can still try to beat your friends' scores while also taking in the beautiful scenery in each level."

TheOGB

Banned
Only left and right controls though :x
Hated this shit in Heroes

and Rayman 3, I think

Ugh, gotta be at work at 5 in the morning -_- well I bought it, but won't be able to play until tomorrow afternoon. As usual, I look forward to fun and frustration.

Favorite nostalgic memory regarding this game:

Getting all A-ranks on City Escape. My mom was in the room and said something like "Now if only your grades were like that."

debbiedowner.jpg

"I bet Eggman's got a space ship lying around here somewhere!"

Yeah. All those spare spaceships.

It's even better that they did find one...

"Oh no! Don't touch that LEVERRRRRRRR!"

ShadiWulf

so.. who is ready for Sonic Adventure 3?!

(this quote is old news, but i find it amusing none the less, plus there is probably people who haven't seen it yet!)
Is this the same guy who sung "Pumpkin Hill" & "Unknown From M.E." from Sonic Adventure 2?
gjtrue 1 week ago

Yup the one n only HUNNID-P!!!
hunnidP in reply to gjtrue 1 week ago​

but nuckels isnt there a emrold yor sposd to be garding
SunshineOpenFeint 3 months ago

ill have some new knuckles music as soon as sega and i work on this new project for sonic so stay tuned!!! i have many different projects im workin on n im here to give my fans what they want thx!
hunnidP in reply to SunshineOpenFeint 3 months ago 21​

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISwPaDzyEtg

Maybe we'll get a sequel to pumpkin hill music

lyrics to Wild Canyon, find them amusing
This is Knuckles, and I'm back
I've been away for a while
But I'm here to kick some butt in Wild Canyon
I shall find all the pieces of the Master Emerald here
I'm gonna get those fools
They wanna play with my emeralds
They playin' with the wrong guy

E-chi-do-na, that's what I'm represtin'
Never seen a mic hog spit like a menace
Wild Canyon fun, I gotta chase a bat, ha
Yeah, Rouge, she's sexy and smooth
A double-cross spy thief that's out for my jewels, ah
I feel her watch in mysterious ways
That's why I stay on point like every single day
I gotta protect this place I do it for my race, ah, ah

Yeah, you know how it is
Yo, yo
Throw your hands up
Come on, come on

Ain't nobody gonna come here and eat my plate, no
Yo, what happened, my emerald's gone
Somebody gonna get theirs quick, my word is bond
Who coulda did this? That snitch named Rouge
When I catch her, I'm'a get her with these tools
There you are, c'mere little thief
Think you can fly and get away quick, uh-uh
Give up the emerald or die, I don't love you

Yeah, you know how it is
Yo, yo
Throw your hands up
Come on, come on

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/s/sega_sound_studio/kick_the_rock_wild_canyon.html

SO yeah, even if we arent getting adventure 3, looks like were definitely getting classic Knuckles music!

Was like 12 minutes into Pumpkin Hill and couldn't find the last piece so I just said "stuff it" and restarted. Got 'em in like 3 minutes and A ranked it. Really wish they used this release to fix the radar.

Youtube has ruined the stage for me. Kept expecting Jay Z to start in as I was playing.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Iizuka-sama: "Faster times? *laughs* I think it's important to truly appreciate the hard work that went into this masterpiece, so we've removed the need for a 'fastest time' leaderboard. This way, you can still try to beat your friends' scores while also taking in the beautiful scenery in each level."

"After all, as Carl Jung once said..."

ok so me and a few friends of mine got really drunk and we were freaking out because we remembered this game so i bought it

we got to pumpkin hill and both of my friends threw up

im on the tails desert level

ChaosXVI

Despite parts of this game aging poorly, I still find this re-release to be a great port overall, with only a handful of nitpicky stuff against it.

I remember being 11 and thinking the story to this game was deep and dark...I loved it for that reason...

Now I love it because it's hilariously cheesy, seriously, this cheese tastes good.

Also I'm 8th on City Escape.

Rlan

Finished the Last Story, huzzah! Most of the issues are from the original game -- incorrect sound volumes etc. Wish they could have fixed that, as well as changed Knuckles' radar.

And Diablohead, based on what I can see, the reason why a bunch of the cutscenes are still in 4:3 is that they involve fullscreen overlays at some point -- things like Gerald's writing, or the image of him on the screen etc. These were meant to be the whole screen, but because it wasn't made for widescreen you would have seen non-overlays on the side, or horribly stretched overlays. Instead, they decided to keep those affected in their normal 4:3 ratio.

We have better games now, no way am I going back!
Unless we go much further back and start getting proper follow ups to Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well I mean, when you compare mechanics from a Dreamcast game to late this-gen games and all the horrible games Sonic Team has released over the years to get that far, I don't think it's too proper. I'm sure Adventure 3 would be a lot more smoother.

*edit*

I noticed I tend to like all the Dreamcast SEGA games besides Space Channel 5, I think I should tryout Shenmue soon.

I just don't see why SA3 is a good idea, immediately it conjures up the idea of silly "serious" plots and other characters butting in with unwanted new gameplay mechanics.
To counter this claim i'm sure some will say something about it could just be Sonic gameplay and it certainly could, so what does that leave us with? another Sonic game more in the vein of Unleashed/Colours/Generations but with far more plot emphasis? makes the naming of Sonic Adventure 3 sound just like that, a name that holds no weight to the proceedings, when people ask for SA3 what are they actually asking for?

I think SwiftSketcher might have mentioned something before regarding the way SA1 Sonic stages are designed which does occasionally dip into more open areas like Twinkle Park and Sky Deck, I guess I can see that.
But SA2 is linear and narrow most of the time, just sonic controls better when it comes to small movements? I don't get the hook here.

edit: Except Chao Garden of course.

Slygmous

I just realised it's been about 8 years since I played this game, and I just cleared Crazy Gadget and Final Rush first go (only B's though).
I also died 5 times in Sky Rail.

This controls are kind of a breath of fresh air to me after Sonic Generations/Unleashed, I can actually steer away from making some mistakes thanks to the responsiveness. That's not to say they're perfect though, not by a long shot. If there was some way to marry it with the best bits of the new titles, I would be very happy with a potential SA3.

Yeah, it basically comes down to "what do people even mean when they say they want Sonic Adventure 3?" to me. Adventure Fields? Okay, I guess, I didn't mind the hub stuff in Unleashed. Multiple characters? I have no problem with that if they're optional or play mostly like Sonic. The earnest drama stories? What the hell is wrong with you?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah, it basically comes down to "what do people even mean when they say they want Sonic Adventure 3?" to me. Adventure Fields? Okay, I guess, I didn't mind the hub stuff in Unleashed. Multiple characters? I have no problem with that if they're optional or play mostly like Sonic. The earnest drama stories? What the hell is wrong with you?

I'd imagine/hope they mean "I want a new HD Chao Garden"

Christopher

I actually do want to see a Sonic Adventure 3 maybe on a modified Sonic Adventure 2 engine.

I finally beat Soinc Adventure 2...say what you want I still think it's a good game.

Open Your Heart remains the best Sonic song, epic.

Rlan

It would have probably been too much effort ultimately, but it would have been a very interesting thing to see if they ported this:

ChaoTCGpic.png

To iPhone, Android and Windows Phone 7, and then used the Microsoft Smartglass initiative to send data to and from the phone app.

It would have probably been too much effort ultimately, but it would have been a very interesting thing to see if they ported this:

ChaoTCGpic.png

To iPhone, Android and Windows Phone 7, and then used the Microsoft Smartglass initiative to send data to and from the phone app.

I'd have bought a phone just for that.

Kokonoe

Banned
I just don't see why SA3 is a good idea, immediately it conjures up the idea of silly "serious" plots and other characters butting in with unwanted new gameplay mechanics.
To counter this claim i'm sure some will say something about it could just be Sonic gameplay and it certainly could, so what does that leave us with? another Sonic game more in the vein of Unleashed/Colours/Generations but with far more plot emphasis? makes the naming of Sonic Adventure 3 sound just like that, a name that holds no weight to the proceedings, when people ask for SA3 what are they actually asking for?

I think SwiftSketcher might have mentioned something before regarding the way SA1 Sonic stages are designed which does occasionally dip into more open areas like Twinkle Park and Sky Deck, I guess I can see that.
But SA2 is linear and narrow most of the time, just sonic controls better when it comes to small movements? I don't get the hook here.

edit: Except Chao Garden of course.

Well one, opinions. Although the main thing here is that the Adventure games sell, it doesn't matter whether who likes them or not, they have enough people out there that really like them and are dedicated to it.

Well one, opinions.

This is a discussion. You're supposed to tell us why you think Sonic Adventure 3 is a good idea, not just "because it's my opinion". What in particular about Sonic Adventure makes you want another entry in that sub-series instead of any other new 3D Sonic game?

Although the main thing here is that the Adventure games sell, it doesn't matter whether who likes them or not, they have enough people out there that really like them and are dedicated to it.

Sonic games sell. The Adventure pair didn't do remarkably better than most other 3D Sonic titles.

Kokonoe

Banned
This is a discussion. You're supposed to tell us why you think Sonic Adventure 3 is a good idea, not just "because it's my opinion". What in particular about Sonic Adventure makes you want another entry in that sub-series instead of any other new 3D Sonic game?

Sonic games sell. The Adventure pair didn't do especially better than most other 3D Sonic titles.

I already told you why, they are quite popular. Sonic Adventure series is a lot more popular than games like Colors. When you compare sells, remember that the Adventure series were limited to Dreamcast and Gamecube, while Colors sells is both DS and Wii(two of the most popular systems). Sonic Generations didn't sell as much as Colors.

Revven

Yeah, it basically comes down to "what do people even mean when they say they want Sonic Adventure 3?" to me.

I already stated what I believe people want a couple of pages back. Without repeating myself at great length, I'll sum it up:

-Sonic/Shadow-like stages, same level of control (obviously improved) and designs
-Multiple characters, however, like the Genesis games they play like Sonic does except with their own gameplay quirks. The level designs would then be designed with those quirks in mind, just like the Genesis games.
-A story (even if it's over dramatic and etc.)
-Chao Garden again

Anything else is just... eh. I don't think many people want adventure fields at all. Most people liked the Sonic/Shadow stages in SA2, feeding off that should make SA3 purely those stages just that you can use other characters in them; with their own gameplay quirks and such.

I don't know anyone who likes SA2 wants SA3 to basically regurgitate what SA2 did with the other characters. Anyone I've talked to likes the "Speed" stages (as they're referred to I guess in-game) and would love another Adventure just featuring THOSE stages + the ability to use characters like Knuckles, Tails, Silver, Blaze, etc. through them as well. Either optional to play as after beating the game or integrated in the story where it isn't repetitive or boring.

Kokonoe

Banned
As long as Sonic Adventure 3 was more like Sonic Adventure 1, but with a lot more polish and new things to do, that'd be enough for me. Well, and a new Chao Garden.

I don't mind SA2's stage approach as long as tails and knuckles play more like a classic sonic, aka no mech and no limiting emerald hunting.

Make tails play a little slower, ability to fly and maybe solve some more tricky layouts.

Have knuckles play a little like the werehog but faster and more agile with some running segments.

Keep sonic as he is.

win!

ShadiWulf

also, more evidence of why Sonic Adventure 3 could be coming under the glorious leader of Sonic Team

Svend Joscelyne: Can you briefly describe how you both got into the games industry and what it was that really got you excited about working with video games?

Yuji Naka: I joined the games industry when I was 18 years old and the reason I joined was probably the same as everybody else; I really liked games! At the time I used to go to game centres (arcades) a lot and I really wanted to create the games I saw in them. I happened to take an interview with SEGA and they accepted my interview. I’ve now been in the industry 27 years and I’ve really enjoyed my time.

Takashi Iizuka: From a young age as a child I really enjoyed drawing and I used to draw Manga and staple the pages together and create my own little Manga book. So I really enjoyed coming up with new stories and the whole process of creating a Manga. I actually moved away from this for a time and during University I thought to myself I want to be in a job where I’m creating something and a story. That’s why I joined the games industry.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/07...ls-brown-sonic-and-crash-bandicoot-discussed/

Plus at the latest Summer of Sonic/Sonic Boom.. Iizuka was asked about Sonic Adventure 3, and people said he looked really shocked, and really happy at the same time, that people wanted Sonic Adventure 3. (the crowd cheered at this question). he said there was no plans for SA3, but if the fans want it, then he will make it!

and later Iizuka asked the crowd if they wanted chao garden back, and they cheered really loud, and hes like "Good! I like it!"

and i guarantee you that Iizuka-san experienced the reaction to this video, he was probably smiling that whole night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ_-0Cmi5z4

and then you got that snippet about HunnidP talking about how hes making more Knuckles music for SEGA!

so.. Sonic Adventure 3 is coming, if not by name, then definitely by form! It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. My prediction is it's going to be the 25th anniversary game. Iizuka is going to want it to be big as possible.

I mean you can't deny it's coming after adding everything together :p

Tizoc

Could someone link to Walkthrough vids for Knuckles' stages please? Too friggin' lazy to search for those damned fragments.

Man, I don't want to wait until 2016 for another Sonic Adventure. Can't they just crank one out overnight?

As long as they kept the character roster to Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles (Blaze would also be acceptable), and only allotted slight deviations in gameplay style instead of bullshit treasure hintin' shootin' things in a mech kart racin', I would love SA3. But I suppose at that point it wouldn't really be SA3!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
soo why is it when i hold my Chao an go out portal to hub which leads to where fortune teller and that is it doesnt go it just takes me to next mission, i swear on gamecube version u could take ur chao there to go to doctor,

but at the moment i cant

Emitan

soo why is it when i hold my Chao an go out portal to hub which leads to where fortune teller and that is it doesnt go it just takes me to next mission, i swear on gamecube version u could take ur chao there to go to doctor,

but at the moment i cant

You have to do it from level select.

brumx

the first level was a tech achievement for the DC it was to show off what it could do tho they seem to messed up some parts and not as vibrant.

Top Bottom