• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| googoo g'joob googoo g'joob

I just don't see why SA3 is a good idea, immediately it conjures up the idea of silly "serious" plots and other characters butting in with unwanted new gameplay mechanics.
To counter this claim i'm sure some will say something about it could just be Sonic gameplay and it certainly could, so what does that leave us with? another Sonic game more in the vein of Unleashed/Colours/Generations but with far more plot emphasis? makes the naming of Sonic Adventure 3 sound just like that, a name that holds no weight to the proceedings, when people ask for SA3 what are they actually asking for?

I think SwiftSketcher might have mentioned something before regarding the way SA1 Sonic stages are designed which does occasionally dip into more open areas like Twinkle Park and Sky Deck, I guess I can see that.
But SA2 is linear and narrow most of the time, just sonic controls better when it comes to small movements? I don't get the hook here.

edit: Except Chao Garden of course.
Yeah, I've detailed in the past why the SA1 style is both my preferred version of 3D Sonic as well as the more accurate representation of Sonic in 3D. It mostly boils down to:

-complete freedom: you can freely move in any direction you want in levels that encourage open movement. Today you are encouraged to go at breakneck speeds at the tap of a button with such a small window of control, the franchise is closer to a burnout game than a Sonic one.

-real 3D: today you have most Sonic stages falling back on 2.5D sections for 70% of the stage, which even then compares poorly to the 2D sections in the classics. The adventure games never fell back on shoehorning 2d platforming in what is supposed to be a 3D game.

-Sonic Team of today is in much better shape than 10 years ago. They've learned valuable lessons and I trust that were they to include multiple characters (which I would only want Tails and Knuckles) it would be a class act all the way. This isn't the 06 team anymore.

-Story: using SA1 as the standard, (SA2 with its president shit and videotaped murdering can go to hell) the plot never had a serious moment aside from 2 or three cutscenes. Otherwise it was purely adventurous, fun and charming. Most importantly the characters were just being themselves with their own story arcs and concerns. I just dont understand how a light, fun story in this style Is game breaking. Unleashed was pretty much had the same adventurous tone.

But I guess everyone can go back to expecting sonic team to make an SA3 starring big the cat in a collisionless world and a playable extended family.

Kokonoe

Banned
Best level in Sonic Adventure 2 is the first Eggman stage. All you do is hold B and move forward, can't beat that.

Floex

That's probably the best level in the game >_>

tumblr_mbfelsdtCa1rssrmeo1_500.gif

*Flips a table*

What's up with Tails' exposatory dialog before his battle against Eggman anyway?

"HI I'M TAILS, I'M A FOX WHO LIKES TO HANG OUT WITH SONIC, MY NAME'S NOT ACTUALLY TAILS THAT'S MY NICKNAME MY REAL NAME IS MILES PRO-" *gunshot*

Kokonoe

Banned
Man, Sonic moves so much more smooth compared to Shadow. Well, I like both, but maybe it's the running aside from skating feel.

Floex

Not my favorite level in the game, but you're definitely the minority on that stance!

But you hardly do... anything. Press forward, press 'A' a couple of times while the majority of the demo spent wrestling the camera, end level. Really awful stuff

Kokonoe

Banned
But you hardly do... anything. Press forward, press 'A' a couple of times while the majority of the demo spent wrestling the camera, end level. Really awful stuff

Well, it really just depends on how you play it, the level has design intended to cater what you're trying to get out of it from the flips and different ways to get across certain obstacles. All Sonic games start out with a level like this, though. Or platformers, really. Don't have any issues with the camera myself with Sonic levels, only really with the treasure hunting levels. Although, I don't have any issue with Mario 64's camera either.

Well one, opinions. Although the main thing here is that the Adventure games sell, it doesn't matter whether who likes them or not, they have enough people out there that really like them and are dedicated to it.
And i'm trying to figure out what these opinions are actually asking for, are they raring up to go treasure hunting once more? who knows.
Sales isn't a factor for my question here, the fans aren't the ones wanting Sega to have those high sales (unless they're desperate to fund other franchises to start getting made again and this is the only way), can Sega just slap Adventure on the box and let the money roll in? or will people actually look at the game and be like "this isn't adventure at all, I don't want this" and i'm back to the first point, what do they actually want? though it would appear i've got some answers....

I already stated what I believe people want a couple of pages back. Without repeating myself at great length, I'll sum it up:

-Sonic/Shadow-like stages, same level of control (obviously improved) and designs
-Multiple characters, however, like the Genesis games they play like Sonic does except with their own gameplay quirks. The level designs would then be designed with those quirks in mind, just like the Genesis games.
-A story (even if it's over dramatic and etc.)
-Chao Garden again

Anything else is just... eh. I don't think many people want adventure fields at all. Most people liked the Sonic/Shadow stages in SA2, feeding off that should make SA3 purely those stages just that you can use other characters in them; with their own gameplay quirks and such.

I don't know anyone who likes SA2 wants SA3 to basically regurgitate what SA2 did with the other characters. Anyone I've talked to likes the "Speed" stages (as they're referred to I guess in-game) and would love another Adventure just featuring THOSE stages + the ability to use characters like Knuckles, Tails, Silver, Blaze, etc. through them as well. Either optional to play as after beating the game or integrated in the story where it isn't repetitive or boring.
Sonic Adventure sounds like slang for Sonic and friends at this point, like the Sonic Advance setup if anything just with a plot.
This wouldn't be bad at all, so why insist on calling it Adventure when the main thing most take away from the previous 2 games with that tagline is multiple characters with multiple types of gameplay? well whatever, i'd be fine with this.

I don't mind SA2's stage approach as long as tails and knuckles play more like a classic sonic, aka no mech and no limiting emerald hunting.

Make tails play a little slower, ability to fly and maybe solve some more tricky layouts.

Have knuckles play a little like the werehog but faster and more agile with some running segments.

Keep sonic as he is.

win!
So similar to the above then.

That opening level is possibly the worst thing ever created and will surely turn players away.

Shame because there's far better to be found in the game.
Okay now i'm curious as of the far better stages within. Especially when CE is considered that bad, I didn't miss a heap of sarcasm here right?

Yeah, I've detailed in the past why the SA1 style is both my preferred version of 3D Sonic as well as the more accurate representation of Sonic in 3D. It mostly boils down to:

-complete freedom: you can freely move in any direction you want in levels that encourage open movement. Today you are encouraged to go at breakneck speeds at the tap of a button with such a small window of control, the franchise is closer to a burnout game than a Sonic one.

-real 3D: today you have most Sonic stages falling back on 2.5D sections for 70% of the stage, which even then compares poorly to the 2D sections in the classics. The adventure games never fell back on shoehorning 2d platforming in what is supposed to be a 3D game.

-Sonic Team of today is in much better shape than 10 years ago. They've learned valuable lessons and I trust that were they to include multiple characters (which I would only want Tails and Knuckles) it would be a class act all the way. This isn't the 06 team anymore.

-Story: using SA1 as the standard, (SA2 with its president shit and videotaped murdering can go to hell) the plot never had a serious moment aside from 2 or three cutscenes. Otherwise it was purely adventurous, fun and charming. Most importantly the characters were just being themselves with their own story arcs and concerns. I just dont understand how a light, fun story in this style Is game breaking. Unleashed was pretty much had the same adventurous tone.

But I guess everyone can go back to expecting sonic team to make an SA3 starring big the cat in a collisionless world and a playable extended family.

Consider each bullet point here relating to yours in the same order.

- It's good for more actual platforming segments certainly, Colours which is a fair bit slower than Unleashed/Generations also has more traditional platforming so the slowed down gameplay does bring that element back. I hate to see the stages turn too simplistic though, mostly talking about Adventure 2 layouts here.
I was going to say maybe the boost sections could be separate from the rest of the stage but then realised I was stepping eerily close to mach speed from 06.

- This is a valid point as well, Modern stages in Generations are mostly at their best or most exhilarating during the 3D areas, while I don't mind the 2D segments more 3D should be the main angle.
I wouldn't throw 2D out though.

- I guess the danger here is assuming that they might fall back to their old ways when trying to recapture what the fans want. Still better outings recently does give me more faith but i'm not letting them entirely off the hook yet.

- Racking my brain through the SA1 plot, it's actually pretty simple, Just Eggman, Chaos and a few ancient prophecy stuff. It's more of a problem how those cutscenes are presented in a bit of a sloppy manner but yeah obviously we are much further ahead in time now and characters walking on the spot shouldn't be an issue. Unleashed was nothing special but it didn't bother me either so I can take plot as long as it doesn't go all Shadow on us. I'd drop the hub though, if someone just wants to play the stages and put the story aside they don't want to meander through the adventure fields.

Well this wouldn't be bad, i'd give it a shot, it's just that I think what the majority want from the Adventure moniker is not quite the same as your preferred vision, mainly because SA2 is the beloved one.

So in conclusion we've learnt for the most part people want all Sonic stages but you can play as other characters as well in a similar speed style stages or even the same stages with like other routes for their abilities perhaps. Gameplay is toned down speed wise from current games and some exploration is allowed to find...stuff?
There is a plot of some sort that doesn't fall into the void of 06 nor does it stay as much in the background as Colours.
And Chao Garden because everyone wants Chao Garden, with respect to Professor Beef no emblems are tied to this mode now.
The use of "Adventure" seems to have become synonymous with being able to play as other characters if anything but in a style like Sonic's own.
I hope for all our sakes that everyone else asking for SA3 is thinking on a similar wavelength, if we get a trailer next year and I see Tails piloting his new version of the tornado in "all range mode" dogfights in mech form while Shadow rides his motorbike in all new on rails shooting gameplay then i'll have profound sadness.

Kokonoe

Banned
And i'm trying to figure out what these opinions are actually asking for, are they raring up to go treasure hunting once more? who knows.
Sales isn't a factor for my question here, the fans aren't the ones wanting Sega to have those high sales (unless they're desperate to fund other franchises to start getting made again and this is the only way), can Sega just slap Adventure on the box and let the money roll in? or will people actually look at the game and be like "this isn't adventure at all, I don't want this" and i'm back to the first point, what do they actually want? though it would appear i've got some answers....

People are looking for just another sequel to a series they like, just like with any other game. I mean, what fans want isn't exactly what's best, or what's going to happen, I'm only talking about what is likely given the circumstances. I'd imagine most people who want Adventure 3 want the series modernized with the latest graphics, better engine and controls, and newer things than before.

I don't think SEGA can just slap Adventure 3 on the box and hit gold, if they did that, they'll end up with Sonic 4 again and I doubt they want that. SEGA has done a lot of ridiculous things , but I just don't think they can afford to anymore.

It's funny though that the Sonic 4 name alone did get people up into a frenzy of excitement, though as you say I don't think people are so trusting after that.

It think it's safe to say though if Sonic Adventure 3 is indeed something that will happen it actually runs quite a high chance of being fairly different to everything they've done so far while carrying a few ideas over.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Weird that people want another Sonic Adventure game.

I thought we were trying to get away from crappy Sonic titles.

Kokonoe

Banned
One person's trash is another person's treasure.

It's funny though that the Sonic 4 name alone did get people up into a frenzy of excitement, though as you say I don't think people are so trusting after that.

It think it's safe to say though if Sonic Adventure 3 is indeed something that will happen it actually runs quite a high chance of being fairly different to everything they've done so far while carrying a few ideas over.

If you thought the backlash was bad here, you should have seen the SEGA forums.

qq more

Even though I still like the Adventure series, playing them now they're decent at best. So yeah, I agree. Not to mention the Adventure series were what lead the franchise to its downfall. They should just continue with the current formula and add a Chao Garden on there.

There is absolutely no need for an Adventure 3. No need.

People still want Sonic Adventure 3? I never got this, Sonic 06 or Unleashed could have easily been SA3 judging their gameplay - what would the games title change? They certainly wouldn't have become better games magically.

Even though I still like the Adventure series, playing them now they're decent at best. So yeah, I agree. Not to mention the Adventure series were what lead the franchise to its downfall. They should just continue with the current formula and add a Chao Garden on there.

There is absolutely no need for an Adventure 3. No need.

People still want Sonic Adventure 3? I never got this, Sonic 06 or Unleashed could have easily been SA3 judging their gameplay - what would the games title change? They certainly wouldn't have become better games magically.
Hey i've tried getting to the root of the conundrum, I just hope the answer i've got from my market research of like 3 people here matches up with the rest of the fanbase which it probably doesn't.
I've concluded that Adventure 3 isn't actually what Adventure 3 would be, i'm sure you understand.

If you thought the backlash was bad here, you should have seen the SEGA forums.
That sounds almost like fun in a mind shattering way.

qq more

When you say it like that, it's like trying to say Sonic 4 could easily be a classic Sonic game.

It'd be really hilarious if they make a SA3 and add BOOST. Sega should really do that to troll everyone that hates Colors/Generations' boost gameplay.

If we can't have our proper Sonic 4 then we can't have our proper SA3!

I always saw boost in 3D games as the natural evolution of the 3D spin dash. In Sonic Adventure, it was god awful slow (and required to light dash), then 2 made it faster (and light dash no longer required it). Then they just cut out the middle man of having to sit and actually roll to get the same boost and gave it a meter.

Which might be why I don't really mind boost at all, just a more streamlined spin drill speed boost.

TheOGB

Banned
Yep, playing this game is exactly the same as it always was:

"City Escape, alright!"
"B Rank? Boo."
"Knuckles stage, not too bad-- oh hey I'm done already."
"Tails

shut up"
"OH GOD TAILS WHY"

Fuck Tails. I've died twice on Prison Lane because I got shot and fell into nothing, and a third time because this mech controls like shit.

And man, these cutscenes are, like, barely edited at all. Goddamn, they're so terrible.

Ahh, good times.

Kokonoe

Banned
It'd be really hilarious if they make a SA3 and add BOOST. Sega should really do that to troll everyone that hates Colors/Generations' boost gameplay.

If we can't have our proper Sonic 4 then we can't have our proper SA3!

Hey now, at least you Sonic Generations. When I think about it, it would been so crazy if they added Adventure Sonic into that game as well.

TheOGB

Banned
Why yes, Sonic, I would love it if you stopped just short of what I was homing in on and got hit instead.

I'm just glad it hasn't killed me. :p

EDIT: EXCEPT FOR JUST NOW, NOT A MINUTE LATER

WOW, THIS GAME STILL DELIVERS AMAZEMENT!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
GAF be haters gonna hate on the Adventure series.
We've had a new Sonic Adventure since then. And I loved it but you didn't like it.

NJ1Kg.jpg

Said I'd stream SA2 HD today and I am doing that right now.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/thelostskeleton
I have to say that I also loved the spectacular death.

ROLLIN' DICE and Live and Learn. The best combo.

Edit: It feels like I'm watching an anime.

And you're right; they removed the reflecti---WE ALL DID IT TOGETHERRRRRR. I hate Tails's voice in the Adventure games. >:|

I hope we never see Shadow again because he's, like, dead. It was legitimately a good way to use Shadow's character.

qq more

Was I the only one who had a glitch in SA2B where Tails wouldn't hover sometimes? I swear to god, the controls didn't want to respond to me sometimes when I tried to hover in the sand level... I died too many times in the quicksand due to that. And no, my controller is perfectly fine.

Emitan

Everyone hated SA3 and SA4 was pretty decisive.

I MEAN LOL LETS HAVE SA3 YOU GUYS

Was I the only one who had a glitch in SA2B where Tails wouldn't hover sometimes? I swear to god, the controls didn't want to respond to me sometimes when I tried to hover in the sand level... I died too many times in the quicksand due to that. And no, my controller is perfectly fine.

Me too

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sega1991 is playing the Iizuka video right now if you're interested.

Edit: A $30 parking ticket isn't that bad why are we talking about parking tickets

hey they're addressing the dr eggman / robotnik thing

Instead of me saying Chao Gardens, this time I'm going to say...

It's Aeris Gainsborough as far as I'm concerned.
But I agree with you! I thought Aeris looked prettier in that romanization, plus it's less effort to pronounce when you take into account how you're articulating the word. In "Aerith", you have to move your tongue to your labiodental area to articulate the /th/. At least with /s/, you don't necessarily have to do that, because the /i/ is close to the /s/ place of articulation, and you're moving your mouth to help articulate it. I'd draw pictures and post them, but that's too much effort.

Kokonoe

Banned
Billiechu has experienced all glitches possible in SA2 because I dislike K-ON.

But I agree with you! I thought Aeris looked prettier in that romanization, plus it's less effort to pronounce when you take into account how you're articulating the word. In "Aerith", you have to move your tongue to your labiodental area to articulate the /th/. At least with /s/, you don't necessarily have to do that, because the /i/ is close to the /s/ place of articulation. I'd draw pictures and post them, but that's too much effort.

Well, I guess we can agree on some things! By the way, I enjoyed NiGHTS from the demo I played, but I couldn't figure out how to beat the first boss.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Blaze, stop abusing your chao. You're just as bad as Beef.

Kokonoe said:
Well, I guess we can agree on some things! By the way, I enjoyed NiGHTS from the demo I played, but I couldn't figure out how to beat the first boss.
Well, that's good. The boss in the demo is the Puffy boss that you have to throw at things, right? You need to grab it and throw it at the bars so you can go through the corridor. continue throwing it down the corridor while breaking bars and walls until you throw it into a trap.

I just did all three of the Kart Racing minigame levels and I think my head wants to explode. I know it's just a little extra, but everything about it is just pure insanity. Never have I seen animation / AI / collision as backwards as this...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Rouge's stages are fucking horrible. They're even more horrible because they're Rouge's stages.

I never liked the Emerald Shard hunting stages. They made me nauseous a lot, and still do. >.>

Kokonoe

Banned
Well, that's good. The boss in the demo is the Puffy boss that you have to throw at things, right? You need to grab it and throw it at the bars so you can go through the corridor. continue throwing it down the corridor while breaking bars and walls until you throw it into a trap.

I guess I'll give that a try when I purchase the full game tomorrow, thanks.

I just did all three of the Kart Racing minigame levels and I think my head wants to explode. I know it's just a little extra, but everything about it is just pure insanity. Never have I seen animation / AI / collision as backwards as this...

It helps, but won't exactly make the experience perfect, but the key to using the kart mode is to do this.

Double Tap A quickly and the car shifts into a mode where it's more difficult to do straight paths, but much easier to make wide turns and all types of turns. It eventually goes back after a few seconds to normal driving mode.

Rouge's stages are fucking horrible. They're even more horrible because they're Rouge's stages.

I never liked the Emerald Shard hunting stages. They made me nauseous a lot, and still do. >.>

What about Knuckles though? you letting him off the hook?

I need to get back my playthrough, Weapons Bed is like anti motivation.

I want to say they control exactly the same movement wise but I find Eggman controls better than Tails so i'll let it slide, I can't tell if that's just me hating on Tails while loving the Eggman and his master plan though.

It helps, but won't exactly make the experience perfect, but the key to using the kart mode is to do this.

Double Tap A quickly and the car shifts into a mode where it's more difficult to do straight paths, but much easier to make wide turns and all types of turns. It eventually goes back after a few seconds to normal driving mode.

Thanks for the info, but I was doing this already. It's just the experience in general that baffles me. Everything about it is terrible. I mean, I love SA2 but I don't remember it having parts that look like they were thrown together in ten minutes like with this.

Top Bottom