• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

Blueblur1 said:
They did? *goes to check*

Edit: Amazon is fucking amazing. As if $1 release date delivery wasn't already enough. :D
Canceled it a while back, but now have it pre-ordered again. 2 more days! :D

NinjaFusion said:
Zelda... Epic Mickey.... Xenoblade.... Mohun 3.... Kirby's epic epicness.

And sonic colours all excite me to varying degrees.

..and donkey kong country returns

Well, the third of those probably won't release outside Japan, but considering the list of those (and don't forget the WiiWare platformers such as AYIM, La-Mulana, Cave Story, Jett Rocket, etc), I don't see why you shouldn't get one.

TheUnknownForce said:
Well, the third of those probably won't release outside Japan, but considering the list of those (and don't forget the WiiWare platformers such as AYIM, La-Mulana, Cave Story, Jett Rocket, etc), I don't see why you shouldn't get one.

Get one I shall!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Kard8p3 said:
I love that topic. I've bought a few games that I wanted but forgot about that I ended up getting thanks to that thread reminding me. I'd update it with Sonic Colors and the wii edition of black ops.
Colors is hovering around a 78 on the Metascore and Black Ops only has three reviews for the Wii version, so both of them I'm going to wait for some community consensus.

Gagaman

Played it most of this weekend, up to the last zone now.

Some thoughts:

- Love how starting the game for the first time literally just throws you straight into the first couple acts.

- The classic badniks that show up, unlike how much they were hyped for Sonic 4, are a pleasant surprise, and many are used in new better ways (like the Motobugs chasing you down fast roads).

- Starlight Carnival Act 1, both the music and the scenery...DARN.

- The whole game in general looks fantastic. It really is darn close to the HD Unleashed visuals just with less of the elaborate lighting and filters. The character models look like they are taken straight out of Unleashed HD in fact, maybe downgraded just a teeny bit. The worlds are imaginative and NEW, rather than recycling the classic zone styles.

- Yeah some of the dialog is cheesy, but this is the best script a Sonic game has ever had. It's generally funny and well written, miles ahead of anything before it cut scene wise. Go back and compare to this to the acting in Adventure, Heroes, 06 etc and see what an improvement they've made this time around.

- Have gotten used to the new voice actors already, and there is next is particularly zero talking during gameplay which always bugged me in a lot of 3D Sonic games. For the first time since I think Adventure 2 I haven't wanted to switch over to Japanese.

- Stunning soundtrack. Mind you Sonic games have hardly had trouble in that department, but there is some incredible tracks here.

- Game play is everything I was hoping for and a bit more. They've taken everything that worked in Unleashed, taken out just about everything that didn't, made it mostly 2D with clever level design and plenty of platforming and exploration with multiple routes galore.

- Mind you the platforming does feel a bit sloppy when trying to make pixel perfect jumps onto tiny platforms, and there are still a few cheap deaths here and there that will defiantly kill you the first time as you won't see them coming. The controls never feel against you though, and there is next to no reliability on QTEs this time thank god.

- The wisp powers really do add a lot to the game, just think of the like the shields from Sonic 3 or the power ups in Mario games. Some make for some clever puzzles and unique level designs, with some having different routes based on which wisp you pick up.

- Under water gameplay is FUN. Holy shit. It no longer feels like a chore going through under water sections like the old games but you still have that tension of the oxygen running out that made water sections so fun/scary.

- So much of this feels like they've actually been listening to what people have been asking for from the 3D Sonic games and improving on what worked. Unleashed had moments of brilliance and those have been fine tuned here with better controls, better level design, and actually being able to play every level one after the other from a simple world map rather than having to find those dumb medals.

All in all this game has not only met my expectations (which were Unleashed = the bullshit), but have exceeded them. This game has turned out even better than I could have imagined, I've really enjoyed it with such minor things to fault it on they barely even matter. So far this feels like the best 3D Sonic game full stop.

Kard8p3

It's funny to read old Sonic 06 topics along with the Sonic Colors topics because the progression of both games are completely opposite. With 06 people seemed excited because it appeared that Sega got it right but as more was shown the excitement began going down until the game actually came out and was horrible. With this game however people originally expected it to suck for the most part because they just knew sega would bring in a horrible gimmick that would ruin everything. However as months passed and no horrible gimmick was shown excitement started to grow. Each new video was looking better than the last. Now the game is out in some areas and people are really enjoying it. It's great to see Sega finally get it right.

plufim

gamingeek said:
Still not sure how scores are ranked or worked out though. Looks like coins and time are the important parts? What about destroying enemies? What about the red star thing?
From what I can tell, it is like the classic sonic games - when you kill enemies, use trick rings or use colour powers you are given points. Once you finish, the total rings plus time taken is used to give you additional points for a final total score.

OMG Aero

Do you have to complete the game to unlock the rest of the simulator acts? Someone in the thread earlier said you get a new act for every 10 red rings you get, but I have 49 red rings and I can still only access all the first acts that are unlocked from the start.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
OMG Aero said:
Do you have to complete the game to unlock the rest of the simulator acts? Someone in the thread earlier said you get a new act for every 10 red rings you get, but I have 49 red rings and I can still only access all the first acts that are unlocked from the start.

I've got a shade over 80 now and have access to the first 4's second acts, before beating the final boss.

Sciz

OMG Aero said:
I recall someone saying that it's 40 to unlock Mii heads, then a level for every 10 after that.

jambo

Having so much fun with this. The Starlight Carnival stages are just amazing. Act 1 blew me away, just beautiful!

Can't wait to get to the underwater sections.

Plus being able to go back with new wisps to get in to extra parts of the Acts is going to keep me playing for a long time. I'm going to collect every Red Star if it kills me!

Kard8p3

jambo said:
Having so much fun with this. The Starlight Carnival stages are just amazing. Act 1 blew me away, just beautiful!

Plus being able to go back with new wisps to get in to extra parts of the Acts is going to keep me playing for a long time. I'm going to collect every Red Star if it kills me!

That's 180 red rings in all right? The game will keep you busy for awhile.

On another note the starlight carnival music is amazing.

plufim

Has anyone attempted challenge mode yet? You play each level one after the other, no breaks or continues. I'm up to planet wisp so far, just wondering if anyone else has done it and if it unlocks anything.

Final boss in this game is great, fucking awesome music that builds up (adding in more instruments) as you progress.

jambo said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ZDby6iYqE

I said WOW.

Seriously... WOW.

So many developers have half-assed the wii it's unreal.

Picking this up tomorrow. Just finished a run of Sonic & Knuckles in preperation. Death Egg still blows me away.

I am legtimately excited for this. I couldn't care less when SEGA announced it, but everything about this game, from the colours to the music to the design, has just grabbed my interest. Really looking forward to it.

NinjaFusion said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ZDby6iYqE

I said WOW.

Seriously... WOW.

So many developers have half-assed the wii it's unreal.

It should be added that some of that particular stage is 'on rails' but still...there is so much of this game where you have full control and it looks fantastic. Between this and Goldeneye of late, yes, you're right. There was much, much more which could have been done with Wii, but it ended up snubbed because it is what it is...had developers fully jumped on the bandwagon when stuff like Resident Evil 4 was selling over a million, I suspect it would have an enviable third party catalogue right now.

Don't get me wrong, I wish it was more powerful and massively appreciated my 360 & PS3, but still....the Wii deserved better than the amount of shameful half-arsery it received.

TheDrowningMan said:
It should be added that some of that particular stage is 'on rails' but still...there is so much of this game where you have full control and it looks fantastic. Between this and Goldeneye of late, yes, you're right. There was much, much more which could have been done with Wii, but it ended up snubbed because it is what it is...had developers fully jumped on the bandwagon when stuff like Resident Evil 4 was selling over a million, I suspect it would have an enviable third party catalogue right now.

Don't get me wrong, I wish it was more powerful and massively appreciated my 360 & PS3, but still....the Wii deserved better than the amount of shameful half-arsery it received.

To some extent it's a self fullfilling prophecy... "We won't put huge resources into Wii because only nintendo games make any real money" Thus hardcore gamers use the system for Nintendo franchises and very little else. Then games don;t sell so well and everyone perceives a huge risk to investing...

Epic Mickey is going to make them look very foolish indeed.

I watched the cut scenes on youtube since I don't own a wii at this point of time, I love how sonic is dropping the over serious tones and being more light hearted, of course it's always nice to have a dramatic ending which this game seems to do well, I love the concept of Terminal Velocity :D

[Nintex]

Finished it, and despite a few acts that could've been cut.. this game is simply AMAZING CUBE LASER AWESOME DRILL and STUFF.

Damn, I can hardly believe how good it is. For years Sonic Team couldn't get a 2D camera right, let alone a 3D one. Now they're switching between 2D and 3D cameras like they know how to do shit. Sonic used to jump and fall to his death, here he runs, jumps, homing attacks, zips, rockets, speeds and does the most crazy shit and he doesn't die. If he drops he usuall drops on the second route because the levels have multiple routes. I'm stunned after finishing this game... I must be dreaming or something.

It just hit me, I have about a gazillion Red Rings to get back to.. FUCK YEAH

Kard8p3

[Nintex] said:
Finished it, and despite a few acts that could've been cut.. this game is simply AMAZING CUBE LASER AWESOME DRILL and STUFF.

Damn, I can hardly believe how good it is. For years Sonic Team couldn't get a 2D camera right, let alone a 3D one. Now they're switching between 2D and 3D cameras like they know how to do shit. Sonic used to jump and fall to his death, here he runs, jumps, homing attacks, zips, rockets, speeds and does the most crazy shit and he doesn't die. If he drops he usuall drops on the second route because the levels have multiple routes. I'm stunned after finishing this game... I must be dreaming or something.

Yep and then when you get all those red rings you'll be able to play all of the 21 levels of the sonic simulator.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
[Nintex] said:

I was under the impression that Dimps did the production duties on the game; a skeleton crew from the Rush history did the DS game, but the core of Dimps did the Wii game?

To be honest it'd make sense. Dimps has people with formidable talent, for all people like to bitch about them; like a lot of Japanese developers they're only as good as the producers directing them. When Capcom works with them, they help make Street Fighter IV.

If Dimps did do Sonic Colors, then the producers at Sonic Team would I presume have been working with people who have more ability at, well, everything :p

[Nintex]

Kaijima said:
I was under the impression that Dimps did the production duties on the game; a skeleton crew from the Rush history did the DS game, but the core of Dimps did the Wii game?

To be honest it'd make sense. Dimps has people with formidable talent, for all people like to bitch about them; like a lot of Japanese developers they're only as good as the producers directing them. When Capcom works with them, they help make Street Fighter IV.

If Dimps did do Sonic Colors, then the producers at Sonic Team would I presume have been working with people who have more ability at, well, everything :p
I don't think Dimps did it, at least they're not mentioned in the credits, just a bunch of Sonic Team folks. Dimps probably did the DS version though. As far as I know the Wii game is done by the Storybook team, which is a miracle all by itself because Black Knight sucked. :lol

My guess is that Dimps is helping out with next years anniversary Sonic game.

Kard8p3

Kaijima said:

As far as I know the team that worked on the Sonic storybook games made this game.

Kaijima said:

3D sonic seems to work in a different way then 2d, colours looks and plays impressively because it's not trying to be sonic 4, there I said it :p sonic 4 was a bad hack of the sonic rush engine and that's why it sucks shit, colours was made to play well with 3D space and it works great because of it.

Dimps can do well if they are going down the right road, just keep them away from classic 2d sonic.

Spike

Toronto GAFfers looking for this game: I saw they had it on the shelves at the 401/Islington Walmart. You may want to check your local Walmarts.

TheOGB

Banned
I think Sonic Team (I believe it was said that Storybook team merged with main team, so probably parts of both) worked on Colors Wii, and yes, Dimps did Rush 3.

I mean Colors DS.

Wizpig

And it's here!

0ee44b8d45312e1603d71658b7d5319f.jpg

Considering the pedigree of the developers behind this game, its a freaking miracle they were able to accomplish something so competent. Maybe it was Sega letting up on the "required gimmick" mantra that harmed most of the older games.

hatchx

Banned
NinjaFusion said:
To some extent it's a self fullfilling prophecy... "We won't put huge resources into Wii because only nintendo games make any real money" Thus hardcore gamers use the system for Nintendo franchises and very little else. Then games don;t sell so well and everyone perceives a huge risk to investing...

Epic Mickey is going to make them look very foolish indeed.

You think so because I don't.

I predict lower-than-expected sales for every wii title this holiday other than Kirby, Wii Party, and Donkey Kong.

Yes that includes Sonic. I don't think most people will give it another chance after the Black Knight.

Anth0ny

WTF they censored the word bullet :lol

Anyways, this game looks good. Am I really going to be picking up: Epic Yarn, DKCR, Epic Mickey, Michael Jackson: The Experience, Sonic Colors and maybe even Goldeneye during the next 2 weeks? 6 Wii games? Am I fucking dreaming?

There better be some nice Black Friday deals on this shit :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
hatchx said:
Yes that includes Sonic. I don't think most people will give it another chance after the Black Knight.

I don't think you understand who really buys these things.

Sonic 06 was a sales success. This is despite a torrent of negative reviews. The sales of Sonic games did not drastically go down after Sonic 06. The rules you think Sonic fans play by do not exist.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
hatchx said:
You think so because I don't.

I predict lower-than-expected sales for every wii title this holiday other than Kirby, Wii Party, and Donkey Kong.

Hardcore Sonic fans have been paying enough attention to know that this one doesn't suck. Casual Sonic fans will buy it anyway.

plufim

Wouldn't surprise me if they avoided saying "faster than a speeding bullet" to avoid trouble with the superman people. That phrase may well be trademarked.

Top Bottom