• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

Teknoman

Delivery just showed up, blazed through the first 3 acts of Tropical Resort zone.

Damn this game is fun :D Playing with nunchuk and wiimote control scheme, seems easier to control in the behind the back modes than Unleashed HD so far. Really like the environment style of Tropical Resort (then again stages with an outer space view are always great). Was surprised to see the menus and intro cards run at what looks like 60fps.

And everyone owes it to themselves to let the game sit for awhile at every zone map screen.

EDIT: Save screen really does sound like something out of Phantasy Star.

Dartastic

_Alkaline_ said:
Have now fully S-Ranked both Tropical Resort and Sweet Mountain. I've actually gained more respect for TR, I mean I always liked it but it seriously opens up once you get all the wisps. It can't touch Planet Wisp, Sweet Mountain or Aquarium Park but it's still solid stuff. For a first zone it's really good.

Halfway through Asteroid Coaster and it's definitely where the difficult platforming is to be found. So many deaths at the hands of those walls that shoot out. :lol
Yeaah... Those walls are stupidly stupid. :lol

Does anyone know how it calculates your score based on time and rings? It might be super obvious but I haven't checked.

I guess what I'm wondering is, how much is one second worth score wise? Would it be worth it to spend ten seconds to grab a star coin (special bonus) or go out of your way for a wisp, usually?

TheOGB

Banned
Gram Negative Cocci said:
Does anyone know how it calculates your score based on time and rings? It might be super obvious but I haven't checked.

I guess what I'm wondering is, how much is one second worth score wise? Would it be worth it to spend ten seconds to grab a star coin (special bonus) or go out of your way for a wisp, usually?
I know rings are 200 each, but I don't know about time. Red Rings are definitely beneficial, so if you can get most or all of them in a speedy manner the that'll help your score quite a bit.

Fully S-Ranked Starlight Carnival, ahh what a rush

EDIT: UPDATED LEADERBOARDS FOR NEW PAGE
Tropical Resort Act 1 - 1154700 - Alkaline
Tropical Resort Act 2 - 1428250 - Miamiwesker
Tropical Resort Act 3 - 1809600 - Alkaline
Tropical Resort Act 4 - 1038500 - Alkaline
Tropical Resort Act 5 - 1905500 - Miamiwesker
Tropical Resort Act 6 - 641800 - Alkaline
Sweet Mountain Act 1 - 1562000 - Miamiwesker
Sweet Mountain Act 2 - 1444910 - Miamiwesker
Sweet Mountain Act 3 - 1229700 - Alkaline
Sweet Mountain Act 4 - 1277200 - Alkaline
Sweet Mountain Act 5 - 1512900 - Alkaline
Sweet Mountain Act 6 - 1042200 - Alkaline
Starlight Carnival Act 1 - 1857200 - Miamiwesker
Starlight Carnival Act 2 - 1049400 - Alkaline
Starlight Carnival Act 3 - 1029500 - TheOGB
Starlight Carnival Act 4 - 1189720 - Miamiwesker
Starlight Carnival Act 5 - 2294500 - TheOGB
Planet Wisp Act 1 - 2085900 - Miamiwesker
Planet Wisp Act 3 - 1360800 - Miamiwesker
Planet Wisp Act 4 - 854400 - Alkaline
Aquarium Park Act 2 - 694700 - Miamiwesker
Aquarium Park Act 3 - 2271500 - Miamiwesker
Asteroid Coaster Act 2 - 1654800 - Alkaline
Asteroid Coaster Act 3 - 1082400 - Alkaline
Game Land 1-1 - 360800 - Miamiwesker
Game Land 1-2 - 918000 - Miamiwesker
Game Land 1-3 - 1003400 - TheOGB
Game Land 3-1 - 947400 - TheOGB
Game Land 5-2 - 1012000 - Miamiwesker

And here's a separate one for Bosses, I guess:
Tropical Resort - 2067200 - TheOGB
Sweet Mountain - 2025800 - TheOGB
Starlight Carnival - 2582000 - TheOGB
Asteroid Coaster - 2438200 - TheOGB

_Alkaline_ said:
GAF Leaderboard Feel free to put your own scores in if yours are higher.

Tropical Resort Act 1 - 1154700 - Alkaline
Tropical Resort Act 5 - 1166500 - Alkaline
Starlight Carnival Act 3 - 945000 - Alkaline
Game Land 3-1 - 884600 - Miamiwesker

Thanks for the update I have not been around. I will update my scores later.

Finished the game a few days ago! :D

Edit: S-ranked and collected the all the red rings in the first 2 worlds. I'll probably complete the game when I have the time later on.

Tropical Resort Act 1 - 1234900

Asteroid Coaster Act 4 - 553600
Asteroid Coaster Act 5 - 715400

That Tropical Resort Act 2 score is beastly...

RagnarokX

You mean how act 1 is mostly a real-time cut scene? :mad:
It's a nice real-time cutscene but they don't let you do much.
Lol, this response was along the lines of what I was thinking. You don't even get to play Act 1 until 20 seconds in and even then you just get to sidestep easily avoidable lasers for another several seconds. It's a very pretty zone but as far as playing it it's probably the worst.

TheOGB

Banned
updating *dances for a few seconds*

edit: I am now bolding the new scores

STAGES:
Tropical Resort Act 1 - 1234900 - Nexus Zero
Asteroid Coaster Act 4 - 553600 - Nexus Zero
Asteroid Coaster Act 5 - 715400 - Nexus Zero

BOSSES:

Wizpig

Yeah well i think the best worlds in the Wii version are the first one, the sweets one and the water one.

In the DS version the sweets one sucks because as someone said it's drill-land.

Teknoman

RagnarokX said:
Lol, this response was along the lines of what I was thinking. You don't even get to play Act 1 until 20 seconds in. It's a very pretty zone but as far as playing it it's probably the worst.

You mean how act 1 is mostly a real-time cut scene? :mad:
It's a nice real-time cutscene but they don't let you do much.

Yeah, its the most "playable cutscene" style stage i've played so far (act 1 anyway). I really dont have a problem with stages like that though, especially when they dont make up the majority of the game/ look really nice (Like the on rails segment in Vanquish).

Kinda wish the bosses took 6 hits. 3 in normal mode, and then 3 more in "overdrive" mode.

RagnarokX

Teknoman said:
Yeah, its the most "playable cutscene" style stage i've played so far (act 1 anyway). I really dont have a problem with stages like that though, especially when they dont make up the majority of the game/ look really nice (Like the on rails segment in Vanquish).

Kinda wish the bosses took 6 hits. 3 in normal mode, and then 3 more in "overdrive" mode.
You know what it reminds me of? Those pointless laser things from Death Egg Zone in S3&K:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBhXJ3A8GEg#t=2m31s

I always avoided them when I could.

The bosses in this game make the bosses in Sonic CD look challenging.

Oh right. So there's no benefit in getting all the targets in TR Act 5(!)

Also annoying bug: getting an S rank or red coins isn't saved until you press "Next" on the results screen. This applies to all runs since the last time you did this. So, if you got some red coins on one attempt and then went for an S rank run on the second, even though on that second attempt it says you have all the red coins from the first run, if you quit or die on the second run you lose all the red coins.

TheOGB

Banned
Nexus Zero said:
Oh right. So there's no benefit in getting all the targets in TR Act 5(!)

Also annoying bug: getting an S rank or red coins isn't saved until you press "Next" on the results screen. This applies to all runs since the last time you did this. So, if you got some red coins on one attempt and then went for an S rank run on the second, even though on that second attempt it says you have all the red coins from the first run, if you quit or die on the second run you lose all the red coins.
Good to know :V

And that other thing doesn't sound like a bug, just something you don't want to do

RagnarokX said:
You know what it reminds me of? Those pointless laser things from Death Egg Zone in S3&K:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBhXJ3A8GEg#t=2m31s

I always avoided them when I could.

The bosses in this game make the bosses in Sonic CD look challenging.

Thankfully the moments in SC are shorter and less frequent.

As for the bosses, they're definitely pushovers which is disappointing, but Sonic bosses were never overly challenging or complex (though I'll say that 3&K both had some pretty inventive ones). So it doesn't bother me too much.

AP's boss reminded me way too much of Megaleg though. :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
RocketDarkness said:
Just hold down boost as soon as you see him moving his arm. You should easily get out of range, and hopefully trigger his laser attack once or twice. Then once you've made it the second area where he attacks, you can just hold boost 'til the end.

I found my last 3 missing red rings last night. I can't believe I was able to find them all on my own...first time in a long time where I haven't used an FAQ for even the tiniest little thing. Feels good. :lol
IT DOESN'T WORK. HE KEEPS HITTING ME.

Also, how do you get the laser wisp in Act 4 at the beginning on the spiral ramp? You have literally no control input.

The Technomancer

Big One said:
I think you can jump over his attacks. I was able to in Terminal Velocity, at least.
Yeah, its different there.

He rears his arm back, I hit boost, he hits me. So I hit boost again, and he misses the next one or two swings, and then even though I'm still boosting hits me again and kills me. I've probably tried this 20 times.

TheOGB

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, its different there.

He rears his arm back, I hit boost, he hits me. So I hit boost again, and he misses the next one or two swings, and then even though I'm still boosting hits me again and kills me. I've probably tried this 20 times.
Don't boost, jump. If you can't jump, then boost out of his range. He'll start shooting lazers that you can sidestep.

...This is the big fish-thing, right?

The Technomancer

TheOGB said:
Don't boost, jump. If you can't jump, then boost out of his range. He'll start shooting lazers that you can sidestep.

...This is the big fish-thing, right?
Jump when? When he lifts his arm back? When he starts the downswing? Nothing seems to escape his mighty swipe.

Also, I can't jump in the one in Aquarium Park. Just boost and sidestep.

EDIT: Okay, don't ask me why but apparently sidestepping and then holding down boost outruns him in a way that just running down the middle doesn't. I mean really outruns him, leaves him in the dust.

The_Technomancer said:
Jump when? When he lifts his arm back? When he starts the downswing? Nothing seems to escape his mighty swipe.

Also, I can't jump in the one in Aquarium Park. Just boost and sidestep.

EDIT: Okay, don't ask me why but apparently sidestepping and then holding down boost outruns him in a way that just running down the middle doesn't. I mean really outruns him, leaves him in the dust.

When his arm starts glowing, you double jump.

Beat the game, A-Ranked
Egg Nega Wisp
just now.

Would have S'd but this one laser caught me. :I

He's actually absurdly easy to beat, but doing it the easy way gives you a lower rank.

The game definitely picks up once you get more wisp powers and have time to get used to the way Sonic jumps.

I never really hit any of the problem spots in the later levels that everyone else apparently did, what were they?

The Technomancer

Also am I the only one who thinks that the coasters in Asteroid Coaster are incredibly reminiscent of those old K'nex giant roller coaster kits?

The_Technomancer said:

Also, how do you get the laser wisp in Act 4 at the beginning on the spiral ramp? You have literally no control input.
For some reason, you can't jump during the Aquarium Park boss. You need to conserve your boost on the first section to stay unscathed.

For your second question...at the beginning of the act, turn around.

AniHawk

The_Technomancer said:

215115508_nvDTy-L-2.jpg

Just fully S-Ranked Starlight Carnival.

I really like this leaderboard idea, I encourage more GAFers to contribute if you posted some high scores.

Updated scores in bold.

STAGES:
Tropical Resort Act 1 - 1234900 - Nexus Zero
Starlight Carnival Act 2 - 1293900 - Alkaline
Starlight Carnival Act 4 - 1307700 - Alkaline
Starlight Carnival Act 6 - 1356900 - Alkaline
Asteroid Coaster Act 4 - 553600 - Nexus Zero
Asteroid Coaster Act 5 - 715400 - Nexus Zero

BOSSES:

This just in; apparently a new Sonic game's been rated and then removed at the OFLC called Sonic Gauntlet: Enter Lord Robotnik:

2vi2rk7.jpg

It was posted by the user Segakid at TSS:

Segakid said:
First of all, I'm not posting this to cause any arguments and I certainly don't work for Sega... ^_^

A friend sent me this image over irc chat which he found on a German Sonic forum:

Apparently 'Sonic Gauntlet: Enter Lord Robotnik' was registered on the OFLC and was taken down soon after the above image was posted in the forum.

If this is legit, what kind of game do you think it will be? 'Gauntlet' may suggest a series of challenges for Sonic to complete set by Eggman... Maybe there will be an alternate or altered universe where Eggman has become King? Who knows... Discuss.

EDIT: My friend posted me the url: http://www.classific...nt=25&query=([title]%3Dsonic%29

Definitely not listed there but I'll keep checking in case. (I miss the days when we could check Sega's FTP for any leaks :( ).

Most called BS (mostly due to Robotnik being used) and the thread was later locked, but only because the mod wanted the discussion to continue in the 2011 game thread instead of in a separate thread.

Take what you will guys. :)

I personally think it's yet another Wii-exclusive spin-off. Sounds extremely BK-ish and not fitting for a 20th Anniversary game.

Hero of Legend said:
I personally think it's yet another Wii-exclusive spin-off. Sounds extremely BK-ish and not fitting for a 20th Anniversary game.
Sounds about right. I mean Sonic Riders received two sequels despite poor critical and commercial reception so it's not out of the question that Black Knight would get one.

The Technomancer

Really? I think it could be the 20th anniversary game. The Robotnik throwback, the idea of a "gauntlet" as a challenge, the idea that its supposed to be a "best hits" compilation of levels, maybe Robotnik forcing Sonic through past challenges...

The "Robotnik" name has me puzzled. I mean, I know Sega's been hitting the fanservice harder and harder with each Sonic game, but it always struck me that the name would stay Eggman forever because of branding and the whole debate over his name is silly, anyway - the only reason people like the name Robotnik is because they are nostalgic for their youth, but at this stage, he's actually been called "Eggman" for more years than he has "Robotnik". Changing it back would be as silly as going back to "Princess Toadstool" and "King Koopa". They are a Japanese company, so they adopted the Japanese terminology for this stuff. That just makes sense.

So it makes me wonder if this is something originating exclusively from Sega America or maybe Sega Europe. Are we sure it's a game? It's listed along side DVDs of the cartoons. Maybe they have some sort of Direct-to-DVD movie in the works, or something. I can't tell if comics are listed on there because Hero of Legend's link is broken. :p

Sega1991 said:
Are we sure it's a game? It's listed along side DVDs of the cartoons. Maybe they have some sort of Direct-to-DVD movie in the works, or something. I can't tell if comics are listed on there because Hero of Legend's link is broken. :p
Scroll the image to the right, it's classified under the Computer Games section.

Sega1991 said:
The "Robotnik" name has me puzzled. I mean, I know Sega's been hitting the fanservice harder and harder with each Sonic game, but it always struck me that the name would stay Eggman forever because of branding and the whole debate over his name is silly, anyway - the only reason people like the name Robotnik is because they are nostalgic for their youth, but at this stage, he's actually been called "Eggman" for more years than he has "Robotnik". Changing it back would be as silly as going back to "Princess Toadstool" and "King Koopa". They are a Japanese company, so they adopted the Japanese terminology for this stuff. That just makes sense.

So it makes me wonder if this is something originating exclusively from Sega America or maybe Sega Europe. Are we sure it's a game? It's listed along side DVDs of the cartoons. Maybe they have some sort of Direct-to-DVD movie in the works, or something. I can't tell if comics are listed on there because Hero of Legend's link is broken. :p

That's just how Segakid posted it so I just copy and pasted it.

Oddly, I fixed the link at school and it worked which showed the search results but without Gauntlet, but now I can't get the link working again. :/

Edit: Never mind, it works now.

NTom64

Finally got my hands on this today.

Competed Tropical Resort and Sweet Mountain in full, and a few acts of Starlight Carnival. I think Sweet Mountain's my favourite world, thus far. There was a level of platforming there that I haven't enjoyed in a Sonic game in a long time. Not to mention it looks gorgeous and, like the majority of the OST, has some amazing tunes.

The only thing that's somewhat irritating so far is the floaty jumping mechanics. It's not bad, per se, but it took me a while to get used to. Feels a lot better overall than Sonic 4, though. Nowhere near as sluggish.

The bosses aren't that good, either. S-Ranked the first one by hitting him once and randomly using the Laser Wisp to activate something in the top left of the arena. 35 seconds in all. Second boss was a lot better, though I've heard they just repeat that, too.

Overall, I'm really enjoying Sonic Colours so far. Looking forward to Planet Wisp etc. and I hope Sonic Team follows this formula for future games in the series.

I just got the game the other day and I've completed the first three worlds so far.

THIS is the 3D second game I've been waiting for since the 32X!

It has a great mix of "cinematic" speed stages and quality platforming. Sonic Colors is a joy to play and I look forward to playing more this evening when I take a work break.

My only criticism is that the jumping takes a bit of a learning curve and isn't quite as natural as I would have liked. It makes some of the platforming elements a little bit frustrating at times, but they're still doable.

Also the environments are great, but after playing the Unleashed demo on the Xbox 360, the graphic detail was slightly underwhelming when I first played the Tropical Resort Acts. However the later worlds do get better and I much prefer the "fantasy" style environments over the realistic/contemporary ones that have been in recent Sonic games. But yeah, I hope this game makes its way to the 360.

Top Bottom