• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

TheOGB

Banned
Played the co-op with my friend earlier, it was pretty fun. Homing into each other was more fun than frustrating (surprisingly) and my friend really enjoyed the game.

SimonM7

I think the one most glaring flaw with this game (of, refreshingly enough, disappearingly few) is the way you quick step with the analogue stick while expected to keep holding forward.

I've played this for 10ish hours now and it still feels awkward. I can appreciate streamlining the controls, because Unleashed was bizarrely complex button mapping wise - far too complex for the audience meant to be able to pick a game like this up easily - but it is still a huge bummer.

I don't wanna put on my backseat designer hat, but having him maintain speed when you let go during those sequences would've been nice, and then have you willingly slow him down by pulling back. Instead the involuntary spaz factor is disappointingly high.

But that's nitpicky in the face of what's otherwise a roaring success for the franchise. But hey, when you finally get the chance to *nitpick* on a Sonic game, I say taking it is a celebration.

TheOGB

Banned
SimonM7 said:
I think the one most glaring flaw with this game (of, refreshingly enough, disappearingly few) is the way you quick step with the analogue stick while expected to keep holding forward.
D-Pad breh

Wiimote sideways all dey erry dey (And there are actually quite a few sidestepping moments where you're running automatically, anyway)

SimonM7

I'm playing it with a cube pad though, and I really don't want to give up proper 3D movement if I can help it. I find some of the fully 3D platforming/homing attack bits to be the most enjoyable (pretty much single handedly giving me the strength to deal with Sonic games since and including Adventure 2) and I'd pretty much sign that enjoyment away on a dpad.

I asked in the Dolphin thread, but could someone with an NTSC copy using Dolphin rip the Project Sonic Colors logo from the credits please?

JADS already ripped the PAL COLOURS logo, but I wanted the NTSC COLORS logo as well. :p He ripped it by using Texture Dump.

sncp8p_ad92f6a659b8714zse4.png

So I got both versions. The Wii version was awesome (except for terminal velocity, that was VERY lame), but the DS version was like 2 hours long and piss easy until asteroid coaster, where they decided to turn the difficulty to cheap. Not challenging, mind you, just cheap. Oh, there's something chasing you, but there's an ankle high jump and if you don't make it immediately, you die. You have to use your void power over toxic goo, but don't do it pixel perfect and die instantly. Oh well, at least the DS version of terminal velocity was piss easy like the rest of the game. Still awful like the Wii stage, but done in a top down style. The end boss was different than the Wii version, but really good too actually. Overall I can't recommend the DS version, as it's waaay too short and lame compared to the wii version.

SimonM7 said:

I've played this for 10ish hours now and it still feels awkward. I can appreciate streamlining the controls, because Unleashed was bizarrely complex button mapping wise - far too complex for the audience meant to be able to pick a game like this up easily - but it is still a huge bummer.

I don't wanna put on my backseat designer hat, but having him maintain speed when you let go during those sequences would've been nice, and then have you willingly slow him down by pulling back. Instead the involuntary spaz factor is disappointingly high.

But that's nitpicky in the face of what's otherwise a roaring success for the franchise. But hey, when you finally get the chance to *nitpick* on a Sonic game, I say taking it is a celebration.

No, you're absolutely right. I've clocked up nearly 40 hours on the game now and it still bothers me a bit. It's not gamebreaking by any means, but it's still awkward. For these sections I would've preferred either automated movement (thus requiring no pressing forward of the analogue stick) or some other alternative, though I'm struggling to see how else they could've done it given the lack of shoulder button on the remote.

As I said though, you get used to it and even though it never feels 'right,' so to speak, it's an issue that is still nothing compared to the monsters found in previous 3D Sonic games.

Side note, just got my last S Rank! :D Didn't realise you were supposed to boost after hitting the final boss, I figured pretty quickly that I was missing something in this section since there was a bit too much downtime.

Sciz

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
So I got both versions. The Wii version was awesome (except for terminal velocity, that was VERY lame), but the DS version was like 2 hours long and piss easy until asteroid coaster, where they decided to turn the difficulty to cheap. Not challenging, mind you, just cheap. Oh, there's something chasing you, but there's an ankle high jump and if you don't make it immediately, you die. You have to use your void power over toxic goo, but don't do it pixel perfect and die instantly. Oh well, at least the DS version of terminal velocity was piss easy like the rest of the game. Still awful like the Wii stage, but done in a top down style. The end boss was different than the Wii version, but really good too actually. Overall I can't recommend the DS version, as it's waaay too short and lame compared to the wii version.
You haven't tried going for S-ranks yet, have you.

AniHawk

Sega1991 said:
Managed to finish up my review for the DS version just now.

http://www.tssznews.com/2010/11/28/review-sonic-colors-nintendo-ds/

You know, it's weird. The Rush games were sorta the end of the progression from the Sonic Genesis through the Sonic Advance games. They were all gradually made Sonic faster (starting with the introduction of the spin dash in Sonic 2) until Rush when we got the speed boost. And then Colors seems to be a new thing. It's so different than previous games, even Sonic Rush, yet it's still very clearly a Sonic game. Stuff like the powers, wall-jump, homing attack, and down-attack simply don't exist in previous 2D Sonic games (well, the homing attack is in Sonic 4). I rarely ever used the spin dash, even though it was available. I said it before, but Colors DS kinda felt like "NEW Sonic the Hedgehog," what with it adding elements from recent 3D games. Even though Sonic's had different moves gradually added to his repertoire all the way through the Rush games, this one in particular was the first one that made me feel that Sega was no longer trying to copy what worked on the Genesis. It's the first 2D Sonic that made me realize how far the series has come.

AniHawk said:
You know, it's weird. The Rush games were sorta the end of the progression from the Sonic Genesis through the Sonic Advance games. They were all gradually made Sonic faster (starting with the introduction of the spin dash in Sonic 2) until Rush when we got the speed boost. And then Colors seems to be a new thing. It's so different than previous games, even Sonic Rush, yet it's still very clearly a Sonic game. Stuff like the powers, wall-jump, homing attack, and down-attack simply don't exist in previous 2D Sonic games (well, the homing attack is in Sonic 4). I rarely ever used the spin dash, even though it was available. I said it before, but Colors DS kinda felt like "NEW Sonic the Hedgehog," what with it adding elements from recent 3D games. Even though Sonic's had different moves gradually added to his repertoire all the way through the Rush games, this one in particular was the first one that made me feel that Sega was no longer trying to copy what worked on the Genesis. It's the first 2D Sonic that made me realize how far the series has come.

I think that's part of the reason Sonic 4 was so lackluster. Very few of the developers responsible for the Genesis games are still around, and Sonic 4 was them trying to recapture what made those games great (and depending on who you ask, failing to do so).

Games like Sonic Colors succeed because they don't tie themselves down to the notion trying to be retro throwbacks. They forge ahead with their own ideas and build off of those, instead of trying to blindly guess what made Sonic 2 so great. That's part of the reason I liked Sonic Unleashed on the 360 so much. It wasn't afraid to just abandon Sonic conventions in favor of trying something fresh. There aren't any item boxes or a single power-up in all of Sonic Unleashed.

Makes you wonder if maybe what's been holding Sonic back all this time was the bits where they would try something new (the team system in Sonic Heroes, for example) but had to keep it firmly attached to certain elements of the Genesis games.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Sega1991 said:
Makes you wonder if maybe what's been holding Sonic back all this time was the bits where they would try something new (the team system in Sonic Heroes, for example) but had to keep it firmly attached to certain elements of the Genesis games.

No, what was holding Sonic back all this time was the bits where they would try something new and just fail. It was either it was a completely new gameplay element that turned out bad or it was a theoretically solid mechanic that was unpolished or not well executed.

Tell me, do you really think the problem with the Werehog sections in Unleashed had anything to do with them trying to be faithful to the Genesis games?

Sonic Colors is a great game because they finally have a polished product with good gameplay mechanics and minimal fluff.

ZealousD said:
No, what was holding Sonic back all this time was the bits where they would try something new and just fail. It was either it was a completely new gameplay element that turned out bad or it was a theoretically solid mechanic that was unpolished or not well executed.

Tell me, do you really think the problem with the Werehog sections in Unleashed had anything to do with them trying to be faithful to the Genesis games?

Sonic Colors is a great game because they finally have a polished product with good gameplay mechanics and minimal fluff.

Look at it this way:

Rather than go hog wild and flesh out their new mechanic, they'd still have to make it a Sonic game at the end of the day. The Werehog... maybe not. But I already covered Sonic Unleashed as one of the Sonic games trying to do things "differently".

A lot of the ideas are not inherently bad on paper, they just never seem to be fully fleshed out because they're bolted on to a Sonic game. In some cases, it's almost like they were making two completely separate games and both of them were mediocre because they had to split development budget between them.

Finally got through Planet Wisp. I died a lot in that world, mainly due to those annoying little moving platform conveyer belt things and generally not knowing where I was supposed to go at times.

Water one next, then that dark looking one!

ZealousD

Finally beat it tonight. Wasn't quite expecting to burn through the whole game in a mere 6 hours, but I guess that's what happens when you remove all of the stupid fluff like the shitty hub worlds.

Running through and working on getting all the red rings and either getting an A or S rank on every stage. This will probably be where the game really shines.

Also, I just want to take the time to LOL at the GamesRadar review. Seriously, they didn't even know how the boost works. And you know how you avoid the crab's attack? Double jump when his fist glows. That's it. Attack avoided. Then you boost to get out of range so he doesn't try it again.

DeVeAn

Had fun grabbing all the red rings. You know who is pretty useless in most levels though. Still fun to mess with though. Fantastic game all around. Hope they continue with this type of formula.

Gagaman

So my local GAME store is doing an offer where you can get the Wii version for £10 if bought with anything else (so you could grab grab a cheap little thing to go with it). The DS version also has a deal where you get it for £10, but only if you but Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics for £22, which doesn't seem bad. Also Zavvi has both versions on sale for £18. Tempted to get the DS version now though I wasn't crazy on the Rush games, is it worth it?

But the game has dropped in price so quickly there really isn't much excuse to not try the game out now if you still haven't. I've bought a copy for my girlfriend who enjoyed it and hasn't enjoyed a Sonic game since SA2.

2 years and 10mil on the cake? I guess he is referring to how much and how long colours cost to make.

10mil... that's cheap in today's gaming.

Waaaaay lttp on this. A new 3D Sonic game that averages 9/10 from critics and fans? Uh, wow? I've been wanting to play it badly but in just the last 2 weeks I've bought both Kirby's Epic Yarn and DKCR but will definitely be checking this out after I finish them. I take that most folks here would say it really is worth buying then? Just please tell me I don't have to wander around and collect a ton of medals like I did in Unleashed (that was one disappointing rental) just to play the next major stage?

Lijik

Agent Unknown said:
Just please tell me I don't have to wander around and collect a ton of medals like I did in Unleased (that was one disappointing rental) just to play the next good stage?
Man you beat a stage, and you know what you do to get the next one?
You walk over to it on the level select map. Not a hub, a SMW-style map.

Then you beat the first world, and you know what your reward is? Two worlds unlocked. Choice, motherfucka!

The only thing is that you need to collect red coins (five in each act) to unlock all the levels for the Sonic Simulator, which is a side-game that can be played co-op. That's it.

^^^^

A SMW style map with coherently branching level-unlocking and medals/coins in the stages themselves as it should be??? Sweet smoldering awesome sauce of chipotle ensconced chilli dogs!

AniHawk

So I'm liking this game. For one, it has a lot in common with the DS game, but it also slows things down with some simple, but fun little gimmicks like standing on points to raise platforms while avoiding beams. I've only beaten the first two worlds so far, and I haven't gone back to the first one with all the new wisps I have. So I haven't even gotten to the meat of the game yet.

The one thing I love is the presentation. The game starting with the zig-zag introduction to Act 1, just dumping you right into the game says way more than calling a game "Sonic the Hedgehog" or "Sonic the Hedgehog 4". It's at the same time calling back to the Genesis games and throwing it in your face like, "yeah our balls are this big." And then the look of the levels, the art direction, it's all fantastic. So far the story is Saturday Morning Cartoon quality, but that's exactly where this series should be, if it had to have voice work.

ZealousD

Agent Unknown said:
Waaaaay lttp on this. A new 3D Sonic game that averages 9/10 from critics and fans? Uh, wow? I've been wanting to play it badly but in just the last 2 weeks I've bought both Kirby's Epic Yarn and DKCR but will definitely be checking this out after I finish them. I take that most folks here would say it really is worth buying then? Just please tell me I don't have to wander around and collect a ton of medals like I did in Unleashed (that was one disappointing rental) just to play the next major stage?

Okay, so you watch the intro and you start up your new file. You know what immediately happens after that? You start playing the first stage. You know what happens immediately after you beat the first stage? You play the second stage. It's only after you've beaten the second level in the game that a cutscene appears.

No fluff.

No stupid hub world.

No lame ass side quests.

No talking to stupid morons.

Nothing that keeps you stopping from going from one level straight into the next except for the occasional skippable cutscene.

And you know what happens when you beat the first "world"? TWO worlds open up for you to play! And you know what happens when you beat those two worlds? THREE worlds open up!

That's fucking amazing. This needs to be replicated by every Sonic game in the future.

Nert

I haven't played through all of the stages yet, but I've already felt the urge to go back to the beginning and try to S-rank everything. It's really impressive how much the levels open up when you are able to use more of the wisps.

My favorite level so far is probably Planet Wisp Act 4. Seeing the entirety of the level tower over you as you pop out of a tunnel in the middle of a "Good! Great! Awesome!" routine was really impressive!

Teknoman

One thing I really like about this game is that you cant accidentally homing attack into something or use it to build up speed. Classic spindash animation for spike wisp is cool, and just found out you can move the camera around at the title screen.

AniHawk

The start for Sweet Mountain's music fucking rocks. I swear, the presentation of this game is better than the game itself. Enjoying it regardless, but the music and the visuals have the right amount of style that seemed lost on recent Sonics (or having the right amount in the wrong places- looking at you, Sonic Unleashed).

Lijik

Hero of Legend said:
wtf

At your odd choice of words. :p

Well you know, sometimes its like you're in your bed asleep and you wake up and you're getting a blowjob and you think to yourself "Wtf... this is awesome". Then other times you're there and you wake and theres some fox slobbering all over your knob and you just go "Wtf... wtf" and you look over and theres Funky Student sleeping naked next to you and you just lay back down and re-evaluate how the fuck last night went so wrong and how you got here as the mysterious fox finishes you off.

TheOGB

Banned
Lijik said:
Well you know, sometimes its like you're in your bed asleep and you wake up and you're getting a blowjob and you think to yourself "Wtf... this is awesome". Then other times you're there and you wake and theres some fox slobbering all over your knob and you just go "Wtf... wtf" and you look over and theres Funky Student sleeping naked next to you and you just lay back down and re-evaluate how the fuck last night went so wrong and how you got here as the mysterious fox finishes you off.
.........The second one :lol

Took for-fucking-ever to "learn" how to drift

RobbieNick

Yea. To my surprise CC Pro controls stink. They put the jump button in the wrong spot and it just feels unnatural. Nunchuck/Wiimote is the best way to go. Drifting is a bit easier there.

RobbieNick said:
Yea. To my surprise CC Pro controls stink. They put the jump button in the wrong spot and it just feels unnatural. Nunchuck/Wiimote is the best way to go. Drifting is a bit easier there.

Can you play with the GC controller?

TheOGB

Banned
RobbieNick said:
Yea. To my surprise CC Pro controls stink. They put the jump button in the wrong spot and it just feels unnatural. Wiimote sideways is the best way to go. Drifting is a bit easier there.
Fixed

RobbieNick

TheOGB said:

I say thee nay good sir!! Controlling Sonic in this mode is fine, but using the B button to slide is a pain and you have to shake the Wiimote like crazy just to get the Wisps to start up.

ZealousD

You guys are brutal! I've S-Ranked everything from Tropical Resort to Planet Wisp and I get only 1 score on the list. :lol

GAF Leaderboard

STAGES:
Tropical Resort Act 1 - 1234900 - Nexus Zero
Tropical Resort Act 2 - 1428250 - Miamiwesker
Tropical Resort Act 3 - 1833400 - Miamiwesker
Tropical Resort Act 4 - 1038500 - Alkaline
Tropical Resort Act 5 - 1905500 - Miamiwesker
Tropical Resort Act 6 - 641800 - Alkaline
Tropical Resort Boss - 2067200 - TheOGB

Sweet Mountain Act 1 - 1562000 - Miamiwesker
Sweet Mountain Act 2 - 1444910 - Miamiwesker
Sweet Mountain Act 3 - 1229700 - Alkaline