• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Just beat the game. Loved it mostly, but my 3 areas of dissapointments:

LAST BOSS
The game is an amazing trip overall, that ends in an annoying whimper. I'd seen people complain about the final boss before but I honestly thought it couldn't be that bad. But alas, while not unplayable, it was simply annoying, hard to control, and very un-epic in feel. Not the way a 20th anniversary game should end.

CRISIS CITY and PLANET WISP
Other disappointments include Crisis City and Planet Wisp. In 06, crisis city had you running through a tornado, and then running from it. I was a little disappointed that the modern version didn't attempt some set pieces with any of that. Also some annoying level design that led to quite a few deaths.
Planet Wisp both start off promisingly, but spamming everything with ROCKET!! SPIKES!! was really unwelcome. Modern Planet Wisp should have had way more portions outdoors, those portions were really stunning visually.

STORY
With the cool idea of new meeting old, and revisiting moments and levels of the past, the story and execution here really came off as lazy. Literally nothing is referenced or mentioned. The flow of the game for this reason feels really unconnected:

beat random zone -> *cough* -> oh and now you fight Shadow -> k, go play some other stages -> oh yea, here's perfect chaos, kbye

It just feels like no one cared to write an interesting way to introduce these stages and bosses. I'm all for a Sonic game not having truckloads of cutscenes and friends ala 06, but this extreme is just as big of a letdown. I wanted Sonic to have a reaction to seeing Perfect Chaos again, or having jumped out of a helicopter for City Escape, or seeing Angst the Hedgehog again. Was it a matter of running out of time? Because it seems like they were only able to squeeze stuff like this into the first 3 stages. Going to the Death Egg worked well enough seeing it in Sky Sanctuary before it, and making it inside to fight the Death Egg Robot. The rest of the stages/bosses had nothing of the sort even acknowledging them.

AND WHERE ARE MY EXPENSIVE AS FUCK CG CUTSCENES!? EVEN COLORS HAD THEM!

Not to say this game isn't amazing. One of Sonic Team's best efforts, clearly. Currently contemplating to double-dip with the PC version when I save up enough cash.

DeVeAn

So I got the 3DS version and beat it already. The Homing attack with classic is actually fun. Some levels suffer from pits though. Radical Highway was poorly done. Also you actually get to fight bosses that take 8 hits. This is at the loss of 2 levels. Dreamcast and Modern era only have two stage each lame.

What's really funny is the Final boss is really done well.
It is a variation of the one from the console except it feels more fleshed out.

All in all its a good compliment to the PC/Console versions. I would pay no more than $30 though.

Mistle

So I got the 3DS version and beat it already. The Homing attack with classic is actually fun. Some levels suffer from pits though. Radical Highway was poorly done. Also you actually get to fight bosses that take 8 hits. This is at the loss of 2 levels. Dreamcast and Modern era only have two stage each lame.

All in all its a good compliment to the PC/Console versions. I would pay no more than $30 though.
Might try it out if I can get it cheap. Any addition to my 3DS library is a good addition atm

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
To be honest, I am a bit glad they decided to screw the story. They just focused on the game play, and it worked out fine.

There's at least three CG sequences they like using in the trailers that go suspiciously unused in the game, like Classic Sonic and Tails running with Modern Sonic and Tails in Rooftop Run, Classic and Modern Sonic in City Escape, or the part where they see the Time Eater at Green Hill. It could have all been just made for promo reasons, but seems like a bit of a waste.

But the disc was packed, which did unfortunate things to the CG that was there as it was. Maybe there was just literally no room for it.

OMG Aero

Just beat the game. Loved it mostly, but my 3 areas of dissapointments:

LAST BOSS
The game is an amazing trip overall, that ends in an annoying whimper. I'd seen people complain about the final boss before but I honestly thought it couldn't be that bad. But alas, while not unplayable, it was simply annoying, hard to control, and very un-epic in feel. Not the way a 20th anniversary game should end.
I feel like every problem with the last boss is instantly solved if you replace the music with Live & Learn.

Guri

I finished the game last Saturday and loved how it was fun to play and enjoyable overall. Some of the negative points were already quoted here, so I don't need to say it again.

I feel like every problem with the last boss is instantly solved if you replace the music with Live & Learn.

how come there aren't more boss themes from older games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FAffWEmB3I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzXwutv0yy8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B93QQvL0CGQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyoMQg3d5cs&feature=related (this this this this this NEEDED to be in the game :( )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugb9vGsbznU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kd2uh11VNw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSDh50ZRuEE

ALL of those would have fit in the game and just been simple copy and pastes.

But the disc was packed, which did unfortunate things to the CG that was there as it was. Maybe there was just literally no room for it.
Besides the (horribly compressed) SEGA logo, they had CG in there? I'm honestly surprised they filled the whole disc..

And yeah! I was waiting for those CG sequences you listed to appear somewhere, at least in an intro for the game, but nothing! A huge waste indeed.

Ha, yeah, still need to unlock that. The more I think about it, the more and more the final boss falls totally flat. Sonic Unleashed's final boss was irritating and had some cheap sections, but man was it an epic ride! Even Colors' finale zone and boss were sandwiched between two awesome Terminal Velocity levels. What happened Generations? :/

I didn't realize he was back to doing work on Sonic, that's awesome for him.

But yeah, even for a gag strip, maybe he went a little overkill there for a kids comic.

Time eater ..ate them.

Anyway.

i'd rather have them focus on the levels than the "story", but they clearly did something good at the start but missed many opportunity later..
The last part of this 3 part game lacked the polish the first part had.

Something was missing in planet wisp.
i never ( never ) died in the original seaside hill..and this is the stage were i died the most ..
Crisi city is NOT fun .. never was in 06' , not here in generation , never will

WillyFive

The final boss battle of the HD versions
was absolutely terrible. It takes the crown of worst boss fight on a game full of terrible boss fights.

Also, it's like this game was made by the same programmers as Sonic 06, at least the PS3 version. Loading times are everywhere. We have to wait like five seconds to change from Modern to Classic Sonic on the hub, we have to wait like five seconds at the title screen between the time we press Start and when the menu finally loads, and we have to wait like 4 seconds every time we die so that the stage resets itself. It's terrible. It makes doing speed runs a total pain (on top of the unresponsive controls).

Also, I'm sick and tired of 720p and 30 fps graphics. It's far too little difference between it and the Wii's 480p for me. Not that it looks bad, but it doesn't live up to what I'd expect from an HD game.

Other than that, the graphics are nice.

Yeah. This and the cutscenes/Classic Sonic not talking are the biggest missed opportunities for this game's story.

Tizoc

I would've liked if whenever Classic or Modern Sonic started an act the first time we get a small cutscene of them in it, like Sonic remenicing about Speed Highway or, in City Escape, Modern Sonic would find himself caught in the GUN aircraft and we get a humerous scene followed by his escape and him getting on a board, etc.

NTom64

I would've liked if whenever Classic or Modern Sonic started an act the first time we get a small cutscene of them in it, like Sonic remenicing about Speed Highway or, in City Escape, Modern Sonic would find himself caught in the GUN aircraft and we get a humerous scene followed by his escape and him getting on a board, etc.

This was my problem with the story too. It was such an opportunity to both celebrate the history of the games and take the piss out of themselves (06 of course)...but they didn't. Hell, after Chemical Plant they don't even comment on the levels anymore.

I'm all for a story-light Sonic game, but at least the plot of Colours had some suspense, comedic elements and everything was built up to the final boss.

Here it's just...you got an Emerald...here's a boss...meh. Final boss time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Hmmm... Radical Highway really did seem like it was the most lacklustre of the levels I had seen. Really unfortunate they didn't add some of the handheld stuff and fleshed them out a little more.

And after using
Classic Sonic's Homing Attack
in the console version, I seriously don't mind it. It makes the game feel a little more fluid. So I'm looking forward to seeing how it's implemented in the 3DS version.

Can't wait to get my 3DS version tomorrow. :D
;_;

Used for the trailers? Yeah, I was a little disappointed with that bit too.

Anth0ny

This is below par for a Sonic game.

cJpXN.png

Best Sonic cutscene ever. I'm serious.

You don't need voice acting or pixar graphics.

yeah forget stages from sonic 3

edit: oh, "story"

it's a sonic game

Here's the thing. The game still has plenty of cutscenes, but rather than use them for anything cute or funny, it's usually just a Sonic reaction shot or Tails saying "THE BAFMODADS ARE HERPING THE TIME DERP" over and over and over or Sega going "FUCK'S SAKE MODERN SONIC IS BETTER IN EVERY WAY WHY DON'T YOU SEE THAT."

Colors, which I'll remind you Sega used their writers for this game as a selling point, ran the gamut from groan-worthy to pretty witty, but it was always at least making the attempt. And the game was better for that attempt, despite being "a sonic game" and everything.

Generations' presentation seems rushed and lazy in comparison.

WillyFive

Best Sonic cutscene ever. I'm serious.

You don't need voice acting or pixar graphics.

Sonic 3K had a better story than Sonic Generations.

New characters with personality, awesome in-level cutscenes (like the forest burning up or the Egg thing rising), and it was new and sweet when it came out.

Although Sonic Generations has amazing in-level events (like the truck and
the goal post flying away
), they are unrelated to the story, and the story itself is still very poor.

Anth0ny

Here's the thing. The game still has plenty of cutscenes, but rather than use them for anything cute or funny, it's usually just a Sonic reaction shot or Tails saying "THE BAFMODADS ARE HERPING THE TIME DERP" over and over and over or Sega going "FUCK'S SAKE MODERN SONIC IS BETTER IN EVERY WAY WHY DON'T YOU SEE THAT."

lol okay this is definitely true.

Colors, which I'll remind you Sega used their writers for this game as a selling point, ran the gamut from groan-worthy to pretty witty, but it was always at least making the attempt. And the game was better for that attempt, despite being "a sonic game" and everything.

Generations' presentation seems rushed and lazy in comparison.

I don't know. From what I seemed of the cutscenes (I started skipping them after the 5th or 6th), they seemed pretty god damn unbearable in Colors. Maybe better than Generations (since they at least don't make a mockery of poor little Classic Sonic), but still god awful.

NTom64

No one's asking for a Final Fantasy-esque plot (again, this is why 06 is so atrocious), but if you are going to do something, you should really go all the way through with it. Make people laugh, or use it as a means to teach the newer generation about the older games etc.

Otherwise you get something that feels empty, and without meaning. And that's really the main problem with Generations: They don't celebrate the franchise so much as merely present it, neatly and bullet-pointed to a tee.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
^ One of my favourite scenes in Sonic 3&K as well. Also, when Knuckles beckoned Sonic to follow him. :D

I don't know. From what I seemed of the cutscenes (I started skipping them after the 5th or 6th), they seemed pretty god damn unbearable in Colors. Maybe better than Generations (since they at least don't make a mockery of poor little Classic Sonic), but still god awful.
You didn't care for the Copyright Infringement Law scene? Or when the robot got different voicechips? :/

I really enjoyed Colours' cutscenes. Way better than Sonic 2006's poor excuse for a Final Fantasy-esque plot (which was considerably worse than an FF plot).

What Generations lacked was a cohesive way to string things together and also to present the 20th anniversary event. It's nice that the 20th anniversary is done through extras, but the scenes and narrative themselves don't take to celebrating it, reviewing it or poking fun at the series (which is what I expected since they hyped up getting the Colours writers so much).

The problem also stems from the fact that the CG scenes presented in the trailers also made me feel like they had something bigger in store in terms of both Sonics meeting, coming across the Time Eater on a few occasions and working with both Classic and Modern Tails in levels and cutscenes rather than Tails just saying, "Look, you guys are running and spreading colours throughout time and space!"

MNC

I was a bit annoyed Knuckles changed shoe color in that game.

But now I want to replay it for the inth time. Thanks.

Teknoman

The final boss battle of the HD versions
was absolutely terrible. It takes the crown of worst boss fight on a game full of terrible boss fights.

Also, it's like this game was made by the same programmers as Sonic 06, at least the PS3 version. Loading times are everywhere. We have to wait like five seconds to change from Modern to Classic Sonic on the hub, we have to wait like five seconds at the title screen between the time we press Start and when the menu finally loads, and we have to wait like 4 seconds every time we die so that the stage resets itself. It's terrible. It makes doing speed runs a total pain (on top of the unresponsive controls).

Also, I'm sick and tired of 720p and 30 fps graphics. It's far too little difference between it and the Wii's 480p for me. Not that it looks bad, but it doesn't live up to what I'd expect from an HD game.

Other than that, the graphics are nice.

Yeah. This and the cutscenes/Classic Sonic not talking are the biggest missed opportunities for this game's story.

I know its not in the same category, but Uncharted 3 and Gears 3 are both and its really easy to tell the difference between the two. Honestly most HD games arent 60 fps.

Otherwise you get something that feels empty, and without meaning. And that's really the main problem with Generations: They don't celebrate the franchise so much as merely present it, neatly and bullet-pointed to a tee.
Absolutely this, this is exactly the feeling I got from the game. It's sad to say, but the cohesiveness of both Unleashed and Colors will remain much more memorable than the 20th Anniversary game in part due to the care and restraint put into the plot.

I'm almost certain that this half-assed story stuff is out of fear of angering the die-hards. Let me make it clear that none of us are asking for a 2006 melodrama friend fap fest again; there's a balance they can strike with story and it's clear Generations didn't hit it. Just give the whiners the option to skip and things will be fine.

Anth0ny said:
Also, they should give cutscene direction back to the Japanese team.. these U.S. writers fall kind of flat and corny. Generations didn't even try to make many jokes, it was just kind of there. At least before there was some honest quirk (referencing Unleashed), not forced puns and one-liners. Just my opinion though.

0 HP

so i'm 1 achievement away from getting 1000/1000 on this game. interestingly enough, my last achievement is to restore the sky sanctuary gate. has anyone else gotten this glitch? i google'd it, and the only result i got was to restart the game :|

its kind of funny. i was wondering what this last achievement could possibly be since i've done literally everything in the game. of course its just a glitch

How long it take. we talking 2 something silly like 2-3 hours!

Oh my god the Knuckles video. The way he
was just fluttering to the end, and then bragging about it...

Oh my god, four seconds!

You are way off in stupid hyperbole land. This is nothing, NOTHING like Sonic 2006's loading. Absolutely nothing.

If you're playing on an SD TV, maybe. But ok, the resolution and framerate's a problem for you? If you have a decent PC, get the PC version. 60 FPS, higher resolution than consoles.

DeVeAn

The 3DS game is very short. I say 2 hours max. The funniest thing is classic Sonic plays the closest to the Genesis games than anything yet.

Top Bottom