• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Item 1: That Pix'n Love book is apparently going to go up on the UK store in English in a few weeks. Nice! Apparently they ship to North America.

Item 2: Japanese site updated today. I don't need to post shots of the HD version, do I?

Edit: But regarding the HD version, it seems like SEGA is posting some of the passwords to unlock the statues. Because they were leaked already and the passwords are all over the Internet by now, I will only post the site for the passwords.

Modern Sonic Statue Room code: 204 390
Modern Tails Statue Room code: 632 951

First of all, an extended trailer! It shows more footage of the 3DS version.

Second, the 3DS multiplayer stuff is detailed. I've taken a bit of liberties with the translation to make it sound better.
You can play against other players locally or online.

By using Spotpass/Streetpass, you can exchange each other's profile card, and it's possible to get more missions this way! The number of missions you can play can number to a little more than 100. Try to collect a complete set.

When you keep clearing Acts and levels, you can open up special stages where you can acquire chaos emeralds. If you can collect everything required of you within the time limit, the chaos emerald will be yours.

Finally, Water Palace screens (3DS ver):

U33El.png

SLxDs.jpg
laL7Z.jpg

C9vZe.jpg
gcChG.jpg

60QO0.jpg
jJMdk.jpg

Yeah, I only got the Rocket wisp there once (it's kind of hard to grab the second Rocket and still loop left far enough to hit the ceiling), and didn't make it far enough to make it over to the new area. Pity, but it's definitely doable.

Getting the extra Rocket is really easy, just wait a moment, then activate and hold Y until you see it add to your HUD in the top corner. You either have enough Rocket to make it up and past the ceiling, or you don't and you just sputter and repeat.

Nocturnowl said:
I'm going to say the hub world most certainly is a fault with this game, outside of the classic hub the placement of mission doors begins to get a bit odd to put it simply leading to a bit of confusion when trying to find certain stages or chasing a mission prize, they really should just have kept things simple with the layout.
just stay where you are as it makes a loop ( even if it takes times ). you'll probably get it without moving

WillyFive

The Silver and Perfect Chaos boss fight were fun, but boss fights in general are poor in this game.

The 3DS version looks really lame. Bad graphics, and no 3D Modern Sonic gameplay. Even though it's now polygonal, Water Palace looks really bland and empty compared to Sonic Rush.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Speaking of the 3DS version...

Games Radar (Sonic Generations 3DS) - 7/10

Amazingly, the game is almost entirely viewed from the side. You get a couple of over-the-shoulder sections in Modern Sonic levels and some fancy-angled set-pieces, but the majority of the game is played like Sonic Rush... But it does negate the classic/modern character distinction, especially when classic Sonic learns the lock-on attack from his newer self and starts using it in every level - even Green Hill.

The main levels feature one act for each Sonic and a special stage. These bonus levels are a lot of fun, taking place in pipes very much in the style of Sonic Heroes/ They're controlled with the buttons rather than the touchscreen (in fact the touchscreen is pretty redundant throughout the game)

To my utmost surprise, I found that switching the 3D on helped... With the 3D off, everything can look a little 'PSP' in terms of graphical quality.

It's very fortunate that the game's replay value is so great, because I finished the main game in about 3 hours, with all the emeralds.

Positives
+Brilliant retro levels remade in 3D
+Better end boss than the 360/PS3 game
+How the level design shines at S rank

Negatives
-Some new levels can feel sparse
-Modern Sonic is never given 3D freedom
-It's not as exciting as Sonic Rush

Overall: 7/10
For reference, they gave the HD version 8/10.

0 HP

i know its nothing new to the franchise, but i still can't get past the stupidity of modern sonic doing tricks in the air by throwing his arms around and grinding on rails with regular shoes.

side by side with classic sonic, its almost too much

qq more

Willy105 said:
The Silver and Perfect Chaos boss fight were fun, but boss fights in general are poor in this game.

The 3DS version looks really lame. Bad graphics, and no 3D Modern Sonic gameplay. Even though it's now polygonal, Water Palace looks really bland and empty compared to Sonic Rush.
What's wrong with Metal Sonic and Death Egg Robot? I thought those were pretty good.

qq more

I'm still all :/ about the 3DS version. From what I've seen, it doesn't look like a good effort. The Genesis Era levels for Classic are just copies of the original in such a lazy way, the Modern Sonic gameplay thus far looks empty and repetitive (it looks way less "exciting" than the Rush games). Now I'm worried how Classic Sonic's levels might play past the Genesis era. I'll probably buy it for 5-10 dollars when I get the chance.

WillyFive

qq more said:
What's wrong with Metal Sonic and Death Egg Robot? I thought those were pretty good.

Classic Sonic's finisher kick to Metal Sonic was all kinds of awesome, but the actual fight was pretty boring and uninteresting (and had some framerate problems).

Death Egg Robot was nice, but got frustrating during the second half, since the controls/collision detection/boss scripting were not tight enough to do the whole dance of hitting the button and getting Eggman to hit the bombs without failing repeatedly; falling to the bottom floor before Egg Robot locks on.

Hey everybody! Feeling well? I hope so, because that way the following videos will hit you that much harder!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thigolf#p/u/10/ns5QNLHi5Zs

Generations 3DS videos! Vast stretches of nothingness! Classic levels without remixes! Homing Attack! (You unlock it after beating the Genesis era so at least it's not forced...)
And a Time Eater battle that's better than the console version.

If modern Water Palace seems to have surprisingly better level design, that's because it's ripped directly from Sonic Rush.

Also, the
Biolizard
boss fight kind of makes me want a 3DS port/remake of SA2, against my better judgment. Just... not by these guys.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hey everybody! Feeling well? I hope so, because that way the following videos will hit you that much harder!

Generations 3DS videos! Vast stretches of nothingness! Classic levels without remixes! Homing Attack! (You unlock it after beating the Genesis era so at least it's not forced...)
And a Time Eater battle that's better than the console version.
Well, it looks unsurprisingly dull. At least the Time Eater boss looks like a major improvement over the HD version! This should have stayed delayed to 2012. Levels are sparse.

But wat at the classic levels not having remixes? I swear Mushroom Hill at least had a remix. :O

Astrosanity said:
SURE AM LOOKING FORWARD TO WHAT DIMPS HAS IN STORE FOR US NEXT YEAR IN SONIC 4 EPISODE 2
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this. :lol

Edit: Oh my goodness at the Edit Function. I like this a lot better now. :D

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I need to see more levels from the 3DS version, but Radical Highway didn't look that bad IMO. Besides shitty enemy bridges and the graphics being a bit shite, obviously.

I will say Time Eater is an improvement over the console version. Same attacks, but more interesting, clearer what you're supposed to do, and no friends screaming in your ears. I like the idea of
having to dodge the clock hands in the version of Time Brake it uses

I haven't watched all the videos yet, but I'm not impressed with what I've seen. The level design looks very clunky and limited on alternate paths, it's really not clear when it's safe to jump a gap and when you're expected to wait for a platform, the rival races are pretty weak... I won't know for sure how the game is until I've got it in my hands, but it's just not much to look at on first appearances.

One thing that bugs me is how in Water Palace, Classic Sonic looks like he's supposed to be able to run on top of the water, based on the way the loops point him over it, but instead he just plunks into it. Skill, maybe?

I need to see more levels from the 3DS version, but Radical Highway didn't look that bad IMO. Besides shitty enemy bridges and the graphics being a bit shite, obviously.
I thought Radical Highway pretty much missed the point of Classic Sonic being there. If he had a boost move and some gimmicky chase sequence, that would've been a Modern stage just as well.

Tyeforce

Does anyone know if the 3DS version has cutscenes as well? I haven't seen any in the videos I watched, but I figured the player was just replaying the stages, which would explain why there were no cutscenes in those videos.

RobbieNick

At 1:43, he jumps on an invisible platform. WTF?

"Be amazed as Sonic runs straight ahead for ten seconds on a flat plane with nothing to interact with!"

Seriously, I hope the Gamesradar review is right and there's at least some fun to be had with speed runs. But early videos I've seen have not gotten me excited.

OMG Aero

Is the music supposed to change when
you turn into Super Sonic in a level? I just beat the game today and tried out Super Sonic in a few levels but the level music keeps playing when I transform which seems a bit odd. I could have sworn that I saw it mentioned in this thread before that the Sonic 4 Super Sonic music was in this game.

Sciz

Is the music supposed to change when
you turn into Super Sonic in a level? I just beat the game today and tried out Super Sonic in a few levels but the level music keeps playing when I transform which seems a bit odd. I could have sworn that I saw it mentioned in this thread before that the Sonic 4 Super Sonic music was in this game.
The mix of Sonic 4's invincibility music used in the pre-Time Eater cutscene is in the files as a distinct track tagged as being for Super Sonic, but doesn't seem to have been implemented, no.

Though on a similar note I'm mildly amused that the unused modern invincibility mix did end up in Generations 3DS.

The one on the left will haunt my dreams.

It honestly doesn't look that bad from the side. The quills on it are pretty good. It's also designed to look (and to a degree pose) like the SA art:

Sonic_Adventure.PNG

Of course, it's not nearly that flexible (and at this point I'd be afraid to break it if I tried), but the effort was there.

Anth0ny

It honestly doesn't look that bad from the side. The quills on it are pretty good. It's also designed to look (and to a degree pose) like the SA art:

Sonic_Adventure.PNG

Of course, it's not nearly that flexible (and at this point I'd be afraid to break it if I tried), but the effort was there.

That Sonic haunts my dreams too.

Sonic-10-inch-ActionFigure-Classic.jpg

There ya go.

Nope, too late, I already took it out of the box again...

SonicResaurusOnlySlightlyFrightening.jpg

A bit of wishful thinking, it seems. It's still a little impressive compared to some of the Sonic junk they sold before this.
I got it as a gift, anyway...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Remember when some people got mad at me for being somewhat critical of the 3DS version? Heh.

Nope, too late, I already took it out of the box again...

http://www.mooglecavern.com/gaf/SonicResaurusOnlySlightlyFrightening.jpg[/mg]

A bit of wishful thinking, it seems. It's still a little impressive compared to some of the Sonic junk they sold before this. [spoiler]I got it as a gift, anyway...[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
Oh... [I]God...[/I] There's something about that's [I]still [/I]kind of creepy.

[quote="Anth0ny, post: 32807431"]That Sonic haunts my dreams too.

[IMG]http://www.jazwares.com/2010/assets/images/product_photos/Sonic-10-inch-ActionFigure-Classic.jpg[IMG]

There ya go.[/QUOTE]
I've been so busy lately that I haven't been able to take my Classic and Modern Sonics out of their boxes yet. ;//

(Oh, avatars are gone. I go away to study, come back and they're gonnnnne...)

Seik

Banned
I have a problem here with the PC version.

Everything is going good, 60FPS all the way...but after a while (10-15 mins) things start to slow down and then LAAAAAG, I need to restart the game each time its doing this.

Specs: Intel i5 2500k 4.5Ghz
Geforce 480GTX
4Gb RAM DDR3

A friend of mine told me it may be a 'memory leak'...I will upgrade to 8Gb DDR3 if necessary. Anybody else having the same issue?

Sciz

(Oh, avatars are gone. I go away to study, come back and they're gonnnnne...)
I... I feel your presence, EviLore. Where are you? I cannot see.

What have you done to me, EviLore? I feel... nothing.

Where is my avatar? Who am I? Am I still me?

god that's an obscure reference

Anybody else having the same issue?
Nope. Certain levels (mainly Chemical Plant) have performance issues, but the game doesn't bog down over time.

Nabs

Like always, try updating your drivers and verify Steam cache.

Oh hey guys, here's an easier way to fix Online Mode for PC:

Block people on your friends list until you get down under 100. You can unblock 'em later.

Tyeforce

Everything is going good, 60FPS all the way...but after a while (10-15 mins) things start to slow down and then LAAAAAG, I need to restart the game each time its doing this.

Geforce 480GTX
4Gb RAM DDR3

A friend of mine told me it may be a 'memory leak'...I will upgrade to 8Gb DDR3 if necessary. Anybody else having the same issue?
I have the same problem. I'm playing on a MacBook Pro running Windows 7 via Boot Camp. My specs are quite a bit lower than yours, but the game plays just fine on the highest settings...for a few minutes. I think it may be because Windows doesn't know how to control the fan properly, so the computer heats up after while when I'm running Windows, though that's just my first guess.

Here are my specs:
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB

If it's a problem that accumulates over time I'd say it was a heat issue, myself. As your system gets hotter and hotter, performance would naturally go down.

Omikaru

Geforce 480GTX
4Gb RAM DDR3

I have the same problem. I'm playing on a MacBook Pro running Windows 7 via Boot Camp. My specs are quite a bit lower than yours, but the game plays just fine on the highest settings...for a few minutes. I think it may be because Windows doesn't know how to control the fan properly, so the computer heats up after while when I'm running Windows, though that's just my first guess.

Here are my specs:
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB

I had this problem once; alt + tabbing and going back to the game solved it. Here's my specs:

i5 2500k 3.3ghz
GeForce GTX 560 Ti
8gb DDR3 RAM

I get the feeling this is a bug a number of people are experiencing, rather than it being a system issue. Still, it never affected my enjoyment of the game, and I finished it a few hours ago.

My two cents: it's good fun. I've enjoyed Modern Sonic since Sonic Colours; the changes they made in Unleashed seem to be welcome ones (though I've never played that game) and it's nice that the last decade of Sonic has ended on a pretty good high note.

Classic Sonic is, of course awesome. Playing some of the newer levels in the classic Mega Drive style is really sweet.

Any word on DLC for this? I'd like to think that Sega would make a few more levels to play through as Classic and Modern Sonic. Would like to see Lava Reef zone or Ice Cap zone, just because the music is awesome and the 3D engine would allow for some awesome setpieces in those levels. In fact, the more levels from Sonic 3 & Knuckles, the merrier. I'd best not have to wait another ten years for them!

Seik

Banned
I had this problem once; alt + tabbing and going back to the game solved it. Here's my specs:

i5 2500k 3.3ghz
GeForce GTX 560 Ti
8gb DDR3 RAM

Does it solve the problem for the rest of your gameplay time or does it happen again after awhile, I'll try it soon.

I don't think I'm overheating.

3crnq.png

75 isn't that high :/

Omikaru

Does it solve the problem for the rest of your gameplay time or does it happen again after awhile, I'll try it soon.

I don't think I'm overheating.

3crnq.png

75 isn't that high :/

It did, yeah. I've only ever had the problem once, mind.

And it's definitely not overheating or hardware-related (on my end, at least). I've recently built this machine and I had loads of problems with it, and except for the HDD and power supply, everything on it has been returned and replaced with hardware I've extensively tested.

I'd say it's a problem with the game itself. I couldn't tell you what, but all my other games are fine, and I'm sure it'll be the same for you too.

Top Bottom