• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

TEJ

Is there any word on what the unlockables will be, besides the old sonic games?

I wouldn't mind being able to unlock music from the previous sonic games and being able to listen to them in any level.

TimmiT

TEJ said:
Is there any word on what the unlockables will be, besides the old sonic games?

I wouldn't mind being able to unlock music from the previous sonic games and being able to listen to them in any level.
You can unlock concept art and music. Levels also have a change music option.

Coincidentally enough that feature just as you described it is in the game (think you can change the music that plays in a zone too, so Emerald Hill's tune in Green Hill, etc.). Think they're might be additional remixes too, since there was a Door into Summer remix in the hub world.

edit: beaten :T

TimmiT

Astrosanity said:
Coincidentally enough that feature just as you described it is in the game (think you can change the music that plays in a zone too, so Emerald Hill's tune in Green Hill, etc.). Think they're might be additional remixes too, since there was a Door into Summer remix in the hub world.

edit: beaten :T
There are more remixes in the game. A preview mentioned that a mission had a remix of a Sonic R song.

Ive always been embarrassed to say this IRL, but I honestly think the sonic franchise has always had some amazing music, some even better thats in the charts.

In fact, has their ever been a sonic game with bad music?

Sciz

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
Very few, and we aren't going to talk about them this early in a nice, happy OT.

Right, guys?

edit: goddamnit good man

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
Ive always been embarrassed to say this IRL, but I honestly think the sonic franchise has always had some amazing music, some even better thats in the charts.
Really? It's usually the only consistently praised element of the entire series, and they've had actual bands and even Michael Jackson work on tunes, so I wouldn't be that self conscious of loving the music.

'Enjoy'.

EDIT: it's so bad it's funny so I don't see any problem in reposting this

FINE WHATEVER

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Edit: On second thought, let's keep this a happy thread :>

WTF? IM so glad i never had any interest in that game.

I just find it funny you posted the exact same song..my ears have bleed enough thank you.

Anywho, great thread. Can't wait for the game.

Combichristoffersen said:
Personally I'm not a fan of the series after the 16-bit days, but ymmv.

Lets be real, thats what you really want to say. But Its all love, we are all sonic fans first and foremost.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:

Some, but depending on your tastes, Sonic games have generally always had good music. Personally I'm not a fan of the music the series has used after the 16-bit days, but ymmv.

Combichristoffersen said:
Some, but depending on your tastes, Sonic games have generally always had good music. Personally I'm not a fan of the music the series has used after the 16-bit days, but ymmv.
I haven't either as much but it's still well-made, just in a different style I don't particularly care for. I think since Unleashed though they started reaching a nice compromise between the two styles (classic 'catchy' tunes and then 80's rock, with more jazzy stuff I guess you could associate with Sonic CD or Adventure for the night stages) and it's carried on through the games since.

Nert

The snippet of the Planet Wisp remix that's in there sounds fantastic. Rooftop Run's theme is also very nice (great use of violin). I really do love all of these demo leaks :D

thatbox

Banned
Demo lost me completely. This is absolutely nothing like a classic Sonic game.

Classic mode:
Camera is horrible. The camera is wildly inconsistent, which makes it hard to reliably track your relation to other objects. I don't know how you fuck up the camera in a sidescroller, but Sega finds a way.
Speed. It's like instead of playing any classic Sonic game, they just heard that they were fast and said OKAY LET'S DO IT. There is no platforming. There is no meaningful path branching. And once again, the speed makes it hard to separate out objects in the level.
Level design. Because you're moving too fast, the level is extremely spread out. Classic Sonic levels are dense with interesting features.
Color palette. Overall the game is nicely colorful, but the 3D graphics do an absolutely shit job of conveying which elements are special and need your attention and which aren't. Combined with the awful camera and the ramped-up speed, it's hard to tell what exactly is going on and what you need to be doing.
Control. Because the levels are so spaced out, and you're supposed to be moving so quickly, Sonic is very floaty and you have very little fine control. This makes all of the above factors even more maddening.

New mode:
Random 2D sections. The new mode has random 2D sections that retain the 3D moveset. You can't curl up into a ball, and instead still have the shitty homing attack, speed boost and duck. Why do you have two types of 2D gameplay?
Level design. With absolutely no platforming elements, 3D mode essentially feels like you're on rails with QTEs determining whether or not you keep moving.
Am I controlling this? Continues the same new Sonic crap tradition of randomly taking control away from you as Sonic does a loop or dodges a big piranha or does some other hot shit move nobody cares about. Should I be pressing up or down? Does it matter if I press anything at all? Who knows?

What a piece of shit this game is and what a turd of a developer Sonic Team has become.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TimmiT said:
Credits music has been found in the new demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHLK_vWErCQ
So good.
Oh my God. Oh my God. This is super-hot.

That bass... so sexy... Damn.

I need this. Did Retro rip the music again? Edit: Nevermind.

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
Why? Among my VGM listening friends, Sonic ranks up there. Even my nongaming friends who have played Sonic in the past love the music.

Blueblur1

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
I think I might actively start avoiding whatever other media they dig up from the demo now. I sure as hell didn't expect another Chaotix track.
Another? What other Chaotix track is in the game?

Dark Schala said:
Why? Among my VGM listening friends, Sonic ranks up there. Even my nongaming friends who have played Sonic in the past love the music.

I dunno...its just a bit corny in my social circle to admit your a massive sonic the hedgehog fan, especially at my age.

Teknoman

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:

Dont be embarassed, Sonic music has ALWAYS been amazing and perfectly listenable since day 1. Only bad soundtrack was that RPG from Bioware.

Also hell yeah! The medley returns!

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
I dunno...its just a bit corny in my social circle to admit your a massive sonic the hedgehog fan, especially at my age.

People like comic super heroes at all ages, why not Sonic (granted some of the modern games have been a little...off...but if they heard the music I doubt they would complain).

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Billychu said:
Why are there no Triple Trouble references :(

Wouldn't surprise me if Iizuka thought all the 8-bit games were trash. You know, after all Iizuka is the guy who thinks Sonic Chaos is the only bad Sonic game.
Sonic Chaos isn't bad.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Billychu said:
Why are there no Triple Trouble references :(
Because Iizuka doesn't think Mega Drive/Game Gear titles are important enough for this because they are not from "recent memory".

Sunset Park Act 3... :(

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Picked up Sonic Unleashed. Gonna try and rush through that before I go about considering this game.
You should pick Colours up next. :)

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
Ah, that's unfortunate, but you shouldn't feel ashamed about it. People of many ages like Mario, comic books, etc, so I don't see why Sonic should be the exception to the rule.

Billychu said:
Sonic Triple Trouble is the first game I ever owned.

I remember playing sonic drift 2 so much on game gear because I could play as "Fang". Those Gamegear games were so much fun. Except sonic 2, that' just pissed me off.

Top Bottom