• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Christopher said:
I wonder if Sega ever rereleases Sonic 2006 will the actually go in and fix all the freaking bugs and errors with it...

I've thought about that, but at this point, would you want to dig around in an engine that ancient and jank? It would be easier to lift the levels and other content from the game and plunk it into a new engine. And by that point, it's probably going to be a lot of work reworking and rebalancing things, that could be spent on a new game instead.

Cyntec

qq more said:
Sadly I've already preordered MGS HD collection and don't plan to change that. Generations can wait... but still hnnngggg

Didn't Konami push back the release to early next year?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Willy105 said:
It only really needed to be this long, IMO:

vsck21.png
It's almost like you don't understand the concept of humor at all.

luka said:
It's almost like you don't understand the concept of humor at all.
am I missing something because the original comic just seems to be variations of 'WHY IS SONIC DRIVING A CAR WHEN HE CAN RUN FAST' for several panels

at least Willy's edit has an identifiable build-up and punchline instead of labouring a joke that's already been done several times over

it's really well drawn either way tho

I don't know, I for one do find Willy's edit humorous. Sonic's eventual/sudden "YES" is funny to me, though I do prefer the original comic.

spindashing said:
I don't know, I for one do find Willy's edit humorous. Sonic's eventual/sudden "YES" is funny to me, though I do prefer the original comic.

You get the same thing out of the original, and then the rest of the comic too.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Astrosanity said:
am I missing something because the original comic just seems to be variations of 'WHY IS SONIC DRIVING A CAR WHEN HE CAN RUN FAST' for several panels

at least Willy's edit has an identifiable build-up and punchline instead of labouring a joke that's already been done several times over

it's really well drawn either way tho
Willy's just being pedantic because there hasn't been a vgcats thread lately. :p

The complete comic is a lot funnier than that unnecessary edit. If it weren't for the great expressions it wouldn't be nearly as funny either way.

Tizoc

qq more said:
Yep. It's still Nov 8, 2011 for America. :D
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
So this Nov. aside from this game I'll be getting-
UC3, MGS HD, Rayman Origins & KoF XIII.
Hopefully my brother can get 2 of these and I'll get the other 2.

Man just a few more days X3.

EU GAF, any chance you may be able to get it before Nov. 4th?

PJX

Brazil said:
Do any of you guys have a higher resolution, wallpaper-sized version of the piece of artwork below?

hS1vJ.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Someone please answer this man. I want that artwork in wallpaper sized also.

Tizoc said:
Generations will probably get sent to stores on Tuesday so staff members will be able to buy it early. Still deciding if I want to buy a regular copy early and then keep my collector's edition copy sealed when that arrives on the Friday.

JonCha

Tizoc said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
So this Nov. aside from this game I'll be getting-
UC3, MGS HD, Rayman Origins & KoF XIII.
Hopefully my brother can get 2 of these and I'll get the other 2.

Man just a few more days X3.

GAME are ultra reliable for getting pre-orders out very early to you the day before, and sometimes two days before. This has happened to me with Fable 2 especially (and I'm not the only one).

If you're getting the PS3 version, this may interest you.

I've had the same email from GAME about 10 times telling me the Sonic Generations pre-order price will stick even though the site price is increasing. The emails in general from GAME have been messed up since the redesign. I get a lot of duplicates.

Cyntec said:
really? I thought they delayed the game worldwide. Thanks for the info :)
Theres been so much false info for MGS HD floating around... from the apparently crappy framerate (FPS turned out to be fine when a good video from TGS was recorded)... to the missing Transfarring (the TGS pamphlet was saying that Japanese PSP saves were only compatible with the Japanese PS3 version-- Snake Soup took that to mean that the North American version didn't had transfarring which was totally false)... to the delayed release date (which turned out to be only a Europe thing).

MNC said:
It would've been so right if they got Jaleel White to do retro sonic's voice.

Yep! As someone who grew up a Nintendo kid who mostly knew Sonic from the cartoons and occasionally as "that game you play at a Sega-owning friend/relative's place when you're not playing Alex 'the Kid' Kidd", Urkel pretty much WAS Sonic to me for the longest time.

Word is that they tried to get White and failed, which is why classic Sonic wound up being mute instead, but I'm not sure how much of that is truth and how much of it is just saying what fans want to hear given that he's signed up to voice Sonic in a fan film and would, you'd think, jump at the chance to actually voice Sonic in a game.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
RagnarokX said:
Heh, watching those videos.

"You know, back in the day we didn't need these signs to tell us when we were gonna die if we fell."

That's because there were almost no bottomless pits back then. :p

Actually, the GG version of Sonic 1 had signs warning you of spike pits and bottomless pits (in GHZ at least) due to the smaller size of the screen, so it's not like the signs idea is something new.

And I guess the Advance games are the only ones who were really terribad with the bottomless pits.

Last game I preordered with game was LOZ3D and it came late.

I emailed them when it didn't arrive and they sent back some canned half-apology. I don't preorder with them online anymore(will still do instore if I know the staff).

Sir_Crocodile said:
Last game I preordered with game was LOZ3D and it came late.

I emailed them when it didn't arrive and they sent back some canned half-apology. I don't preorder with them online anymore(will still do instore if I know the staff).
Probably a delivery company delay not a game posting delay, I have to say they usually dispatch games for me on a tuesday or wed and I usually get them by thursday. Stuff I have had late has been due to royal mail.

Zafir

I pre-ordered M&MH6 CE with GAME earlier in the month and I got it on the wednesday, meaning two days before release.

I've pre-ordered Uncharted 3 with them too due to them offering the steelbook edition for £45(Gamestop had it for £50) so hopefully that'll be fine as well.

I've heard people have been having issues with deliveries due to them now using Citipost, but who knows.

@Zafir - As far as I know the UK Special Edition of Uncharted 3 is NOT a steelbook but rather a strong card case that is designed to look like an ancient book. At least that is what it appears to be from the photos I've seen. It looks nice enough I suppose but is not worth the extra £9 IMO which is why I opted for the standard version from *********** instead. I'd have loved a steelbook myself though.

Zafir

Doctor Hades said:
@Zafir - As far as I know the UK Special Edition of Uncharted 3 is NOT a steelbook but rather a strong card case that is designed to look like an ancient book. At least that is what it appears to be from the photos I've seen. It looks nice enough I suppose but is not worth the extra £9 IMO which is why I opted for the standard version from *********** instead. I'd have loved a steelbook myself though.
Seriously? They said it was a steelbook originally like the Uncharted 2 one. Oh well. Too late to change now. It still has collectors worth.

Ty4on

Christopher said:
I wonder if Sega ever rereleases Sonic 2006 will the actually go in and fix all the freaking bugs and errors with it...it could be better if it didn't reek of being rushed.
As much as I love the core gameplay (and kinda the game itself :p) I think they'll never do that.

Haven't actually played Sonic Adventure 1 or 2 (really want to), but as far as I know 1 was rushed a bit to be a launch title and had some bugs and a bad camera. Then when the rereleased the DX version they improved the textures, but the game got a metric ton of bugs. Played the Sonic Adventure demo on 360 (it's based off the PC version of DX) and on my first try I fell through the level and died.

Sonic 2006 may have some good gameplay elements, but what gamers remember is how many hate the game and how buggy it is. It was kinda like a Sonic Adventure 3 and I think it's the sole reason why every Sonic game after it wasn't using the Sonic Adventure formula.

Listening to some old Sonic soundtracks and cant help but be in awe of how good its been. Say what you want about the broken gameplay, but the music (APART FROM BIOWARE RELATED STUFF) has always been awesome. Would have loved to hear a classic and modern remix of Lost World from SA1.

Random lines spoken from the game (not sure when it happens or who says it; nothing real spoilery, but tagged just in case):

Hey Sonic! Enjoy your future! It's gonna be great!
(If it's said to Classic Sonic, I'm gonna laugh my ass off.)

Still warm! Mha-ha! Time travel!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is it wrong that Sonic Generations is actually one of my most anticipated games this year? I'm just as excited to get my hands on this as I am Uncharted 3. Bizarre.

This looks like the Sonic game I've been wanting for over a decade.

The ending cutscene has been leaked and put on YouTube.

Classic Tails' voice is as cute as he looks.

LOL the
OP's subtitle
actually makes sense!
Classic Sonic learned the homing attack from Modern Sonic!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Ty4on said:
Sonic 2006 may have some good gameplay elements, but what gamers remember is how many hate the game and how buggy it is. It was kinda like a Sonic Adventure 3 and I think it's the sole reason why every Sonic game after it wasn't using the Sonic Adventure formula.
Unleashed was called Sonic World Adventure in Japan :p

iavi

Modern Sonic's mix of Crisis City sounds incredible. Holy. Shit.

dark10x said:
Is it wrong that Sonic Generations is actually one of my most anticipated games this year? I'm just as excited to get my hands on this as I am Uncharted 3. Bizarre.

You and me both. This is edging out even Skyward atm.

Mindman

dark10x said:

I can relate completely. Sonic is back.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
spindashing said:
So good. I'll take pictures of the CDs and liner notes too.
I actually listened to some of the "demo tracks" on Youtube, out of curiosity. Very different sound, as expected, but what I didn't expect was the extremely slow tempo of the Sonic 2 tracks. They all sound much worse than what we got in the game.

Holy crap at the modern crisis city music, wow. So much better than the classic remix. Although I'm avoiding spoilers, I can't resist listening to the music early.

And the classic
Planet Wisp
music is damn good too. The modern remix? Not so much.

dark10x said:

It's my most anticipated game this year too. Right next to Skyrim and AC: Revelations.

Top Bottom