• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

I called GameStop before they closed, no luck.

Watched the cutscenes, they're not too spoilery, just the intro that's already been out there, the cutscene shown in the first video, and a very short cutscene of
Modern Sonic and Tails discussing how familiar Chemical Plant was. Funny nod to "that pink water makes me really nervous for some reason."

TheOGB

Banned
Oh god... I need... but, the spoilers... what do I... fffffffffUUUUUUUUU

l7Pfn.gif

It's not that there's tons of plot to spoil, at least not until the end I'm sure, but the jokes probably won't be funny to you the second time. So if you're a Sonic nerd and the references are actually amusing to you, best not to watch.

No doubt Best Buy management will have an email waiting for them tomorrow morning with a DO NOT SELL warning, and a lockout from purchase at the register until release date, right?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Do any of you guys have a higher resolution, wallpaper-sized version of the piece of artwork below?

hS1vJ.jpg

Thank you in advance.

RagnarokX

Heh, watching those videos.

"You know, back in the day we didn't need these signs to tell us when we were gonna die if we fell."

That's because there were almost no bottomless pits back then. :p

RagnarokX said:
Heh, watching those videos.

"You know, back in the day we didn't need these signs to tell us when we were gonna die if we fell."

That's because there were almost no bottomless pits back then. :p

You can turn them off.

Christopher

I wonder if Sega ever rereleases Sonic 2006 will the actually go in and fix all the freaking bugs and errors with it...it could be better if it didn't reek of being rushed.

I'm hoping generations delivers...do we have confirmation of any DLC levels?

RagnarokX

Professor Beef said:
Sonic 1, 2, and 3 had them.
Yep. Sure did. Notice the "like there are now" part.

Sonic 1 had the most bottomless pits of the classics; Green Hill, Spring Yard, Star Light, and Scrap Brain.

Sonic 2 had a very hard to fall into pit in Act 2 of Emerald Hill, Chemical Plant Act 2, Hill Top, and Wing Fortress.

Sonic 3 had very hard to reach pits in Ice Cap Act 2, Flying Battery, Lava Reef Act 2, and one in Sky Sanctuary that you literally have to jump into.

In general pits were very rare and you had to be very bad at the game to even fall in most of them.

In new games they are in every single level and numerous.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
LeonSKennedy90 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfUiJ-Fgyt4 - Collection Room(S3 save file select remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b4dPxvpNgg - Skills Shop(S2 Multiplayer results remix)
It'd be cool if Collection Room were designed like a lounge.

When is SEGA going to announce the actual soundtrack already? I don't think any of the preorder bonuses for any of the countries include a mini-soundtrack (the JP ones consist of first stage music from most Sonic games, and the PAL Collector's Edition one appears to be this with music from the series that's been selected by Sonic Team as it contains listings for themes for Black Knight, Secret Rings, Sonic Rivals, Sonic Heroes, etc).

RagnarokX

The Xtortionist said:
I don't think either GHZ classic or modern has them...
There are bottomless pits that you spring over and under a corkscrew for Classic. Modern has bottomless pits under rail grinding sections and corkscrews.

Professor Beef said:
...So? Learn to watch where you're going, like in every other platformer ever made, and you'll do fine.
Doesn't stop them from being cheap. Plus it's lazier level design.

Who the fuck falls in a bottomless pit in GHZ?

Turn in your damn gamer card

edit: Wow, this dude is seriously complaining about bottomless pits. In a platformer.

Holy shit

RagnarokX

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Who the fuck falls in a bottomless pit in GHZ?

Turn in your damn gamer card

edit: Wow, this dude is seriously complaining about bottomless pits. In a platformer.

Holy shit
Yes, because the old games didn't overuse them. Lots of people complain about bottomless pits. Not really because you fall into them but because the old games had more vertical exploration and pits were made almost impossible because they used screen wrapping where you'd go from the bottom of the screen to the top of the screen to make more complex level maps.

The Xtortionist said:
http://i.imgur.com/by3at.gif
Well you said there weren't any but there are. I included the 1 very small and almost impossible to fall into one in Emerald Hill to be fair. I didn't say the ones in GHZ for either character were easy to fall into, but there are a lot more pits in later stages. A few videos of bad players had people falling off the rails in Modern GHZ, that was sad.

TheOGB

Banned
Bottomless pits in Sonic 1-3&K: standard platforming shit
Bottomless pits in Sonic Colors/Generations: given warning, so not too bad
Bottomless pits in Advance series: "Fuck this shit, I'm playing Sonic Battle instead"

Firestorm

Professor Beef said:
...So? Learn to watch where you're going, like in every other platformer ever made, and you'll do fine.
In some newer Sonic games they directly lead you into it with springs / boosts and make you learn to avoid them by memorization through repeated deaths.

That's one of the main reasons the Genesis games just seemed to get progressively easier. As the levels got bigger, you got in less and less danger of actually dying from bottomless pits, right up into S3&K where you'll have 99 lives by the end of the game because there's zero challenge.

RagnarokX

Bottomless pits are mostly bad in Sonic Advance and Rush, and most of the 3D games (especially when you're just grinding rails over them). They punish exploration, because most of the time jumping down a hole in a Sonic game would just lead to a different path. Rush had quite a few areas that looked like they might be alternate paths and turned out to be pits. They've added signs as a response to that argument so that you now know which pits don't lead to other paths, but then you have the problem of ugly signs everywhere. I'd prefer they just design levels with even more paths, more things to do in levels, like Sonic 3.

Top Bottom