• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
He also doesn't say that last years we has Colors as a good Sonic, but he mentions it while talking about the gameplay.
Colors is SO GOOD.

And Generations really takes place immediatly after it, as seen in the preboss cutscene

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm expecting the scores for this game to possibly range from 6-8.5.

AlphaDragoon said:
EDIT: Found them, they fucked up modern version's beginning BAD. The no synth, softer piano opening in Colors was much better
I've noticed that, from the few tracks I've heard, some of them are missing intros, so perhaps the intros are separate files on the disc and are only played at the beginning of a stage or when you come back from dying.

The rest of the tracks (like the ones posted) must be separate files in order for them to consistently loop.

With regards to Planet Wisp as a whole, I always liked the Planet Wisp - Act 2 intro a lot.

Nert

Modern Rooftop Run and Crisis City have some of the best level themes that I've heard in a long, long time...

Edit: Oh wow, Classic Crisis City sounds amazing too :D

Mpl90

SwiftSketcher said:
Anyone else kind of excited to see what kind of fun they poke at 06? I feel like it'll be a given, there's so much material.

I hope they joke about Eggman's design.
It's...it's...I don't know. When I saw it, I laughed. A LOT.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Urgh, I'm *this* close to playing some Sonic Colours to make the wait a little more bearable.

Mpl90 said:
I hope they joke about Eggman's design.
It's...it's...I don't know. When I saw it, I laughed. A LOT.
It's such a bad design.

11183-Eggman_06_super.jpg

Mpl90

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
There had better be a "There's no use!" reference somewhere.

Or maybe Classic Sonic looking around so confused and Modern Sonic saying "Ah, don't ask...I only remember something broken about this place...no, not the place itself, but something else..."

Sciz

Dark Schala said:
I've noticed that, from the few tracks I've heard, some of them are missing intros, so perhaps the intros are separate files on the disc and are only played at the beginning of a stage or when you come back from dying.

The rest of the tracks (like the ones posted) must be separate files in order for them to consistently loop.
This is the case. Almost every tune in the files is split across an intro and a looping track that constitutes the bulk of the tune.

edit: IGN's text review might actually have even worse writing than the video review.

qq more

Dark Schala said:
Urgh, I'm *this* close to playing some Sonic Colours to make the wait a little more bearable.

It's such a bad design.

11183-Eggman_06_super.jpg
They even ruined his mustache. How can you fuck up such a cool mustache?!

Classic planet wisp is pretty bad, I hope it grows on me. I'd rather they just took the Sonic Simulator version and used that instead even if that is a lazy alternative.
On the other hand Modern Rooftop Run is sublime

Mpl90

Green Scar said:
Eggman, what does the scouter say about your shit level

In that part of the LP, pokecpan crew was laughing so hard that I started thinking they were feeling very very bad. I feared they were going to faint, or I don't know what. :lol

Mpl90 said:
Or maybe Classic Sonic looking around so confused and Modern Sonic saying "Ah, don't ask...I only remember something broken about this place...no, not the place itself, but something else..."
Tails: "Wow, everythings destroyed, what could have led to a future like this?"
Sonic: "I dunno, but it looks like it was probably the lowest point in our history"

*silver shows up*

that tornado's carrying a car!!

SwiftSketcher said:
Tails: "Wow, everythings destroyed, what could have led to a future like this?"
Sonic: "I dunno, but it looks like it was probably the lowest point in our history"

*silver shows up*

that tornado's carrying a car!!
omg, do they actually say that?
KuGsj.gif

RagnarokX

Y2Kev said:
Are the cutscenes still funny if I haven't seen the source material they are referencing?
They're trying to be like Colors, but unlike Colors they come across as more annoyingly cheesy than funny.

Professor Beef said:
omg, do they actually say that?
KuGsj.gif
lol no, just wishful thinking. They better jab at 06 though :p

Y2Kev said:
Are the cutscenes still funny if I haven't seen the source material they are referencing?
I can't imagine the references being so deep that only the hardcore fans would pick up on them. But I'm sure the info you've happened to see on GAF is enough to be up to speed. Honestly though any cutscene with classic Sonic will be golden, his animation and acting are super charming (and he's mute!)

Yes, yes, yes to everything about this game. Had a feeling this would get great reviews. Can people finally stop hating on Sonic now after 3 great games in a row (Yes, I'm including Sonic 4)?

Mistle

UnlovedJew said:
Yes, yes, yes to everything about this game. Had a feeling this would get great reviews. Can people finally stop hating on Sonic now after 3 great games in a row (Yes, I'm including Sonic 4)?
Whoa, you're not RobbieNick! lol. I made that avatar btw (as in, for neogaf- i didn't draw it)

UnlovedJew said:

UnlovedJew said:
Can people finally stop hating on Sonic now after 3 great games in a row (Yes, I'm including Sonic 4)?

UnlovedJew said:
great game...I'm including Sonic 4)?

3IIGR.gif

Lijik

Mpl90 said:
In that part of the LP, pokecpan crew was laughing so hard that I started thinking they were feeling very very bad. I feared they were going to faint, or I don't know what. :lol
That part was so amazing because it comes out of fucking nowhere.
I forgot all about it on a recent rewatch of the LP and died laughing when it happened

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Replaying Sonic Colors in preparation and jesus fucking fuck do I hate Aquarium Park Act 4, and only because of that fuking fuckity robot who I can never outboost because I can never get the timing down. I've just lost ten lives in ten minutes.

Sonic 4 would have been an alright game if it were called anything else besides Sonic 4 probably. I enjoyed it but I would have prefered a Sonic 4 with the 16 bit style Sonic and physics set to go with it.

Two Sonic fans on Neogaf, one Sonic avatar. XD I guess I owe you for it then. @ Leon: Sonic 4 may have had shitty physics, but I'll be damned if it didn't have some fun level design. Very short though, not really worth the price of 1200 ms pts for 3 hours of gameplay.

EDIT: I agree, it really shouldn't have been entitled Sonic 4. That carried way too much weight for what it was. Hopefully Sonic 4 Ep 2 will have some Sonic Generations-esque physics (minus the OP spin dash).

Blueblur1

UnlovedJew said:
Two Sonic fans on Neogaf, one Sonic avatar. XD I guess I owe you for it then. @ Leon: Sonic 4 may have had shitty physics, but I'll be damned if it didn't have some fun level design. Very short though, not really worth the price of 1200 ms pts for 3 hours of gameplay.
Bits and pieces of Sonic 4's level design was just okay.

The_Technomancer said:
Replaying Sonic Colors in preparation and jesus fucking fuck do I hate Aquarium Park Act 4, and only because of that fuking fuckity robot who I can never outboost because I can never get the timing down. I've just lost ten lives in ten minutes.
I love that act, the secret is to only use the boost when you know the arm swing is coming, the robot makes it very noticeable.
Now the Terminal Velocity version on the other hand, that's horrible

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nocturnowl said:
I love that act, the secret is to only use the boost when you know the arm swing is coming, the robot makes it very noticeable.
Now the Terminal Velocity version on the other hand, that's horrible
Oh I know when the arm swings are coming. It just doesn't seem to make a difference. If I boost when he swings back, he hits me. If I boost when his arm is glowing, he hits me. If I boost when his arm is on the way down, he hits me. Seems like a crapshoot.

Lijik said:
That part was so amazing because it comes out of fucking nowhere.
I forgot all about it on a recent rewatch of the LP and died laughing when it happened

I'm trying to find this part again and can't, anyone know which number of the lp it was?

With other shit sucking in my life (nothing serious at all) this game is a godsend.

I'll probably be able to do a two nighter and beat it too.

can't wait.

The_Technomancer said:
Oh I know when the arm swings are coming. It just doesn't seem to make a difference. If I boost when he swings back, he hits me. If I boost when his arm is glowing, he hits me. If I boost when his arm is on the way down, he hits me. Seems like a crapshoot.
Hmmm, well the best advice I can offer now is to lure him close by not boosting but boost away when you feel like you've dropped into the arm swing range (don't wait for the flailing). Yes that advice is pretty poor.

Top Bottom