• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

qq more

0 HP said:
can someone explain why we love sonic rush but hate sonic 4?
I don't like either of those games. But at least Sonic Rush tried to be consistent.

Sonic 4 didn't know what it wanted to be.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Teknoman said:
Spinball_title.png
There we go! It just has a very similar beat to a lot of the tracks in KC

Teknoman

Its strange that the reviewer has a small complaint about clunky controls at certain sections that stop the action dead...yet in the video, he straight boosted into a wall for no reason.

Dont boost if you're trying to make a small adjustment to exit a tunnel.

Also one half of this game is not Sonic 4. Should it have been Sonic 4? Yes. But to give people the impression that it plays like the Sonic 4 that released? No.

0 HP

qq more said:
I don't like either of those games.
when sonic rush first came out though, everyone on gaf loved and hyped the shit out of it. i prefer 4's platforming to rush's boosting and pits, but neither one is anything more than 'okay.'

Sinoox

Banned
So then Sonic is back to his former glory?! Hope this one plays well on the PC.

0 HP said:
when sonic rush first came out though, everyone on gaf loved and hyped the shit out of it. i prefer 4's platforming to rush's boosting and pits, but neither one is anything more than 'okay.'

I disagree, Rush and Rush Adventure were fucking amazing, especially their soundtracks.

qq more

0 HP said:
So? I never liked Sonic Rush.

Teknoman

UnlovedJew said:
Yes, yes, yes to everything about this game. Had a feeling this would get great reviews. Can people finally stop hating on Sonic now after 3 great games in a row (Yes, I'm including Sonic 4)?

I almost confused you with Robbienick due to the avatar :p

Anyway Sonic 4 really wasnt that good...just felt too stiff and the music wasnt anywhere near any end of the Sonic (classic to modern) spectrum as far as quality goes.

Yes i'm still bitter over Senoue giving us a soundtrack like that. I mean seriously, how do you let 8-bit game gear games beat you out soundtrack wise?

EmCeeGramr said:
"Silence, fools! I am Dr. Poser Model, the greatest scientific genius in the world!"

EDIT: accidentally spoiled myself on the Time Eater, but it was pretty much what I expected so it isn't a huge deal. Also spoiled the music but I don't regret it one bit. Amazing soundtrack.

0 HP

qq more said:
So? I never liked Sonic Rush.
well either way, the majority of gaf did. there's a post above yours that said both of the rush games were amazing.

regarding your post at the top of the page, to me sonic 4 feels like modern sonic played in the classic style. modern sonic doesn't use classic sonic's marble physics because he's always been lanky and floaty. sonic 4 isn't that bad if you recognize that classic and modern sonic should play completely differently in 2D

edit...this post:
qq more said:
But at least Sonic Rush tried to be consistent.

Sonic 4 didn't know what it wanted to be.

RobbieNick

Anyone looking for a deal on the game, I just got @Gamer in the mail and it has a $10 off coupon for Sonic Generations at Best Buy.

Rlan

For Izuka saying "LOL Handheld games? Pffffffft" there sure is a lot of Sonic Advance music remixes in the game.

ShadiWulf

Rlan said:
For Izuka saying "LOL Handheld games? Pffffffft" there sure is a lot of Sonic Advance music remixes in the game.
Iizuka is master troll xD

so it looks like Tropical Resort is confirmed for 3DS
Don't know if this was known or not but Tropical Resort is confirmed for the 3DS version of Generations. My new Nintendo Power has screen shots and it looks exactly how it did in Sonic Colors Wii.
http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic...ions-3ds-chat/page__view__findpost__p__382897

Iizuka: Sonic Rush? *laughs* No

RobbieNick

"Ahem!" Pardon me as I'm not usually like this. However...THEN WHY DID HE SAY IT WAS ABOUT THE PORTABLE HISTORY OF SONIC IF THERE'S NO PORTABLE SONIC GAMES REPRESENTED?!! He COULD have put this version on Wii given enough time. He just wanted an excuse and lied to my face instead. Not to mention laughed in my face at the idea of Game Gear games being in a PORTABLE version of Sonic Generations.

I believe the game was in it's earliest form at E3 and they hadn't even decided on all the levels yet or what kind they were going to use.

I'm not a happy man Iizuka. I don't like being laughed at or lied to.

ShadiWulf

RobbieNick said:
"Ahem!" Pardon me as I'm not usually like this. However...THEN WHY DID HE SAY IT WAS ABOUT THE PORTABLE HISTORY OF SONIC IF THERE'S NO PORTABLE SONIC GAMES REPRESENTED?!! He COULD have put this version on Wii given enough time. He just wanted an excuse and lied to my face instead. Not to mention laughed in my face at the idea of Game Gear games being in a PORTABLE version of Sonic Generations.

I believe the game was in it's earliest form at E3 and they hadn't even decided on all the levels yet or what kind they were going to use.

Do not talk bad of Iizuka-san, he will smite you! You are but a mere mortal to him. xD

Zane

RobbieNick said:

quit gettin mad at videogames

qq more

0 HP said:
to me sonic 4 feels like modern sonic played in the classic style. modern sonic doesn't use classic sonic's marble physics because he's always been lanky and floaty. sonic 4 isn't that bad if you recognize that classic and modern sonic should play completely differently in 2D
The physics still felt stiff (lack of momentum did not help) and the top speed was inconsistent and weird (running after homing attack = higher top speed, but just going from walk to run = lower top speed???). Sonic 4 just didn't feel right to me, even if I treated it as a game itself.

Teknoman

Yeah they might have been trying to show modern Sonic in that style, but even then it was way too stiff to count as Modern Sonic playstyle. Max run speed was too slow as well.

RobbieNick said:
Holy shit! There's audio clips from the American Sega Saturn ads in the new Super Sonic Racing remix. XD

http://www.youtube.com/user/nmnm2007100#p/u/15/jOvnGrvDWr0

Iizuka is a videogame?

I still say that should've been the special stage theme for Generations HD...that is if they made you snag chaos emeralds.

RobbieNick said:

"So... are we going to see Game Gear levels?"
Iizuka: *laughs*

*months later*

"Are we going to see levels from the Advance games?"
Iizuka: *laughs* "I'd like to think Sonic's history on portable handhelds started on the DS"

*A month later*

"So... when can we expect to see DS-era levels?"
Iizuka: "...We had DS games?"

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
witness said:
Whoa I just saw the ign review and this game is actually good!? Sega finally delivered!?
Sonic was almost good with Unleashed, Colors WAS good, this game is good as well.

Honestly the only main sonic game that's horrible is 06 Everything else has more ups than downs.

I'm so close to preordering this game, but I feel like it's going to be on sale in a few weeks because of BF. I preordered it, and canceled it a couple of times. :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Shadowlink said:
I'm so close to preordering this game, but I feel like it's going to be on sale in a few weeks because of BF. I preordered it, and canceled it a couple of times. :p
Target has a buy two get one free deal going on right now.

QisTopTier said:
Target has a buy two get one free deal going on right now.
That deal would have been awesome if other games I wanted released. I probably would have preordered it if the game wasn't releasing so close to Black Friday. I'm also purchasing other games, and have a ton of games on my backlog so I think I can handle the wait until Black Friday. :p

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
QisTopTier said:
Sonic was almost good with Unleashed, Colors WAS good, this game is good as well.

Honestly the only main sonic game that's horrible is 06 Everything else has more ups than downs.

Don't forget about Heroes. The only good thing I could say about that game is that the PC version had great graphics.

Holy fucking fuck at the soundtrack...Egg Dragoon is really the only glaring "miss" I see. Sounds a bit too busy and muddled. Everything else is fucking amazing.

...Speaking of that, I actually hated Planet Wisp Classic when I first heard it, but now it might be my favorite song in the game. Really ominous and urgent with a heavy fucking beat that I can fist-pump to.

Soundtrack of the year.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Combichristoffersen said:
Don't forget about Heroes. The only good thing I could say about that game is that the PC version had great graphics.
woops My bad yeah that game is shit too, completely erased it from my mind

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
QisTopTier said:
woops My bad yeah that game is shit too, completely erased it from my mind

After thinking some more about Heroes, I guess I should give it props for bringing back Metal Sonic.

It's still a pretty damn terrible game though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Combichristoffersen said:
After thinking some more about Heroes, I guess I should give it props for bringing back Metal Sonic.

It's still a pretty damn terrible game though.
Did heroes come out before SA2 battle? Metal sonic was in that

Top Bottom