• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Combichristoffersen said:
SA2 Battle was released before Heroes. Was he an enemy in the main story, or just an unlockable character?
Just unlockable in the race mode or someshit. At least that's all I've seen him in, I didn't actually play SA2 B

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
QisTopTier said:
Just unlockable in the race mode or someshit. At least that's all I've seen him in, I didn't actually play SA2 B

Oh, alright. Heroes did bring him back as an antagonist in the main story though.

Game was still boring rubbish.

Professor Beef said:
Heroes isn't even close to Sonic 06 levels. I'd say Chaotix is worse.

Chaotix is shite too. I honestly don't know which one of them is worse.

qq more

Wait, are you guys saying Chaotix is worse than 06 or just worse than Heroes? If the former: Sure it's a bad game but... at least it didn't feature bestiality and its soundtrack is A-Tier.

qq more said:
Wait, are you guys saying Chaotix is worse than 06 or just worse than Heroes? If the former: Sure it's a bad game but... at least it didn't feature bestiality and its soundtrack is A-Tier.
Chaotix is worse than Heroes. I don't consider Heroes a bad game at all, but it's also not a great game either.

Combichristoffersen

qq more said:

Worse than Heroes (personally I think they're about equally terrible). I don't think there's anything that will ever top Sonic '06, not even Sonic Blast for the Game Gear. Goddamn was that game awful.

qq more

Professor Beef said:
Chaotix is worse than Heroes. I don't consider Heroes a bad game at all, but it's also not a great game either.
I think both are pretty bad. Such a shame though :(

Worse than Heroeds (personally I think they're about equally terrible). I don't think there's anything that will ever top Sonic '06, maybe except for Sonic Blast for the Game Gear. Goddamn was that game awful.
Nah, Blast may look awful (I recently watched a playthrough of it) but at least the game doesn't even last 1 hour. Is it me or is every level... extremely short? lol

qq more

Professor Beef said:
I think all the Game Gear games are pretty fucking terrible, if we're counting those. Heroes looks like Generations compared to them.
Hey, don't diss Triple Trouble!

It'd been so much better if it was a SMS game though for the sake of better resolution :\

Combichristoffersen

qq more said:
Nah, Blast may look awful (I recently watched a playthrough of it) but at least the game doesn't even last 1 hour. Is it me or is every level... extremely short? lol

Yeah, I edited my post. Blast looks awful, sounds awful and plays awful, but I guess it'll never be quite as bad as Sonic '06.

Professor Beef said:
I think all the Game Gear games are pretty fucking terrible, if we're counting those. Heroes looks like Generations compared to them.

Sonic 1, 2, Chaos and Triple Trouble are great, but the Master System versions are far superior to the GG ones.

Combichristoffersen

qq more said:
I'm very curious to try out Sonic Blast now. It's one of the few 2D Sonic games I've never played.

You're better off not playing it, I'd say, as the only reason to play it is to experience how shitty it actually is. It was Sega's extremely half-assed attempt to make a Sonic game with graphics similar to the Donkey Kong Country games that were released for SNES at the time, but for some inexplicable reason they decided to have Aspect develop it for the Game Gear (it was later ported to the Master System by TecToy and released in Brazil).

Dark Schala said:
Even Triple Trouble? :(
XEbzB.jpg

Especially Triple Trouble! But ESPECIALLY Sonic 2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow, I played the demo and both acts were really fun. Game looks amazing and sounds great.

Is it time to believe?

TheOGB

Banned
Gave in and started listening to music

Egg Dragoon
is pretty underwhelming now that it's no longer fully orchestrated, Super Sonic Racing is growing on me, but autotune can GTFO

holy goddamn, Sonic Battle remix

Classic Speed Highway, I like

Planet Wisp...... why the synth, it was perfect already :(
EDIT: Classic... what the fuck???? Seriously, just redoing the Simulator version would have been fine. It's really different at first, but I already feel myself getting used to it. Very final level-ish, as someone said earlier.

royalan

wow, I don't think I've been this hyped for Sonic in a while...

The level of detail in the art of some of those stages is insane...

Sciz

TheOGB said:
Egg Dragoon
is pretty underwhelming now that it's no longer fully orchestrated
There isn't a single live instrument in the original version. Kobayashi has some great samples and he knows how to use them. The remix is pretty badly mastered though, yeah.

Sciz said:
There isn't a single live instrument in the original version. Kobayashi has some great samples and he knows how to use them. The remix is pretty badly mastered though, yeah.

I'd be surprised if the original version isn't selectable. They aren't skimping on tracks

People don't like Chaotix? What the fuck is this shit?!

I thought it was universally well-liked?!

Granted there were...way...way too many stages, it was still a good and solid concept and well executed.

Fun characters, great visuals, amazing soundtrack.

'the hell, GAF.

Sciz

SuperAngelo64 said:

Granted there were...way...way too many stages, it was still a good and solid concept and well executed.
This is the bit we disagree on. The level design is wretched.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SuperAngelo64 said:

'the hell, GAF.

I hate you all :(

Sciz said:
This is the bit we disagree on. The level design is wretched.

Really? I mean the level design is more 'tricky' than your typical Sonic game, but that's because you're supposed to be creative with the ring gimmick and your character-of-choice's special ability.

SuperAngelo64 said:
People don't like Chaotix?
SuperAngelo64 said:
it was still a good and solid concept and well executed.

The concept of a co-op Sonic game is ok. The execution was awful. I can't count the number of times the rubber-banding screwed me over, and the levels were designed with this in mind, with prizes in "mid deck" levels that you usually overshot.

Anth0ny said:
Chaotix level design was bruuuuuuuuuuuuuutal

and this is coming from a guy who is fine with Sonic 06.

I just played this game all day yesterday... I don't know what you guys are talking about. Can you be more specific?

In my current state of hype for this game I decided I'm going to do two runs before I get my hands on this game.
Granted it doesn't rain, tomorrow's challenge is a 15 mile endurance run at an 8mi/hr. pace. On release day, I'm doing 5K(3.2 mi) speed run on Tuesday. Hopefully the hype will let me get sub 18 minutes for that.

Last week I even bought a Sonic shirt from the kids section of walmart (amazed I can still fit into a kids XXL at 21). I'll be wearing this baby around campus come 11/1/11!

1028012249.jpg

RC

Banned
Really didn't like the demo. Classic Sonic felt way too floaty. Didn't feel like I had any control after jumping on top of an enemy.
Modern Sonic was a different type of mess all together. The constant change in perspectives was really off putting. Kept on making me miss jumps and homing attacks.
This game is definitely not for me.

Lijik

SuperAngelo64 said:
I just played this game all day yesterday... I don't know what you guys are talking about. Can you be more specific?
Yeah, can someone explain this?

I dont think the non-special stage portions in Chaotix are particularly good, but jesus christ its not 06 or even Heroes bad. Its just a boring and clunky platformer thats not particularly difficult and even less so if you decide to learn how to handle the clunky team mechanic (which I admit isn't a good use of time).

Lijik said:
Its just a boring and clunky platformer thats not particularly difficult and even less so if you decide to learn how to handle the clunky team mechanic (which I admit isn't a good use of time).

Sounds like Heroes.

Lijik

Box of Bunnies said:
Sounds like Heroes.
Heroes has extremely long stages with poor checkpointing, three of them dedicated to a game function which barely works (rail grinding), and the game is riddled with enough small bugs (like killing every enemy for a Chaotix mission and the game not registering it as completed) that a single playthrough becomes a chore.

Let alone four which is what the game expects you to do.
In the time it takes to beat Chaotix and proceed to let it out of your life you're not even halfway through a single team of Heroes.

george_us

Man I can't believe Hydrocity and Ice Cap got the shaft but freaking Sky Sanctuary of all zones got in.

Still debating on whether to get this or not. I've already got Uncharted 3 on pre-order but man watching videos of Green Hill Zone takes me back. God that tune is so good.

qq more

Anth0ny said:
Chaotix level design was bruuuuuuuuuuuuuutal

and this is coming from a guy who is fine with Sonic 06.
Brutal? It's one of the easiest Sonic games ever. :|

'the hell, GAF.
I like it but only for the nostalgia and awesome music. The special stage was cool too. Other than that, it's not really a good game due to shitty level design and poorly implemented co-op system. The game was very interesting though.

Sciz

SuperAngelo64 said:
It's been a while, but I remember it being gimmicky in all the wrong ways. You've got the rubber band mechanic, a variety of characters, an array of quirky monitors, and the level gimmicks on top of everything else. None of them actually work together in a complimentary fashion, when they work well at all. The band gets in the way at least as often as it helps and the characters aren't balanced in the slightest (and they're semi-randomized as well).

The levels themselves are all themed around one specific idea and nothing else (This is the vertical zone! This is the fast zone! This is the zone where the bloody lights are out and you have to go on a scavenger hunt before you can leave). What ideas they do have get stretched out and repeated over five acts.

I'd have to go back and give it a good play to put together detailed thoughts, but in general it needed another six months in the cooker and a thorough reevaluation of the various mechanics.

Top Bottom