• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

goldenpp72

Also I had a quick question, in the time trials, is there anything like ranks to show how you did (like S rank, B rank) or is it just, your time and then a leaderboard?

Peltz

I love the crt soft look on the Switch's screen. It actually scales very cleanly to 720p and reminds me most of my PVM in that setup.

1080p looks too sharp and jaggy in comparison.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Whoa, what are the
Sonic R references?

Don't think there are any. Possibly the poster refers to the UFO bonus stage, which resembles a race I suppose, but that is more of a Sonic CD callback with a slight change to the rules(chasing a UFO rather than searching and destroying them).

Aki-at

On that note
Revenge of Shinobi
is referenced.
The sound effects from the Press Garden Act 2 boss

I was so happy as soon as I started to hear
those noises, a lot of love for the 90 eras SEGA.

Was hoping for something from Yakuza but alas that wasn't to be, wouldn't really fit in with the era anyway :p

Ristifer

Press Garden
deserves way more praise. The first act is nice and straight-forward, while the second act gives you multiple pathways to explore with an awesome backdrop
(especially if you climb the cherry blossoms to the top of the zone)
. The music for both acts is wonderful, too.

RRockman

Banned
Don't think there are any. Possibly the poster refers to the UFO bonus stage, which resembles a race I suppose, but that is more of a Sonic CD callback with a slight change to the rules(chasing a UFO rather than searching and destroying them).

Tbh I also thought the intentionally gimped 3d was a ref to the Saturn's sonic 3d blast special stages.

Wait, seriously? No changes?

The texture's brightened, but it's near identical.

Sonic_R_Saturn_ingame.PNG

Sonic_Mania_Special_Stage_Screen_1500859643.gif

It's probably not taken directly from Sonic R, but it's clearly inspired by it.

Guess Who

Banned
I’m pretty sure one of the devs specifically stated on Twitter that the Special Stages models were specially made for this game and even credited the artist.

RRockman

Banned
Guys when I said intentionally gimped 3d I was talking about the character models. I know the basis of the stage was CD. But they deliberately chose to model the characters in 3d rather than use mode 7 and some sprites like CD did. That's why I think that they also wanted to ref the Saturn games too, and I picked 3d blasts stages be cause that is what came to mind first.

Nah, Sonic R's models looks quite different. Definitely looks closer to that 3D Blast model.

I see no difference between the Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast models?

Both games were made by the same company around the same time, so it's probably the exact same model, just slightly lower poly for R because of the added background details and other characters.

Tails and Knuckles are also extremely close to their Sonic R models, and neither had 3D Blast models.

Sciz

I’m pretty sure one of the devs specifically stated on Twitter that the Special Stages models were specially made for this game and even credited the artist.

This is correct.

The only possible R reference that comes to mind is the Sonic coins from bonus stages.

AaronMT86

Was anyone disappointed with the ending just being a super short video clip? I kind of missed the humble cheery endings from Sonic 2 along with a flyby of all the stages again

Berordn

Oh god that was horrendous D: Having to find seven special rings in a level without dying on top of a very difficult bonus level...think I maybe managed to beat two rounds before giving up.

It sucks as a lot of things (playable Amy, chao garden) were locked behind getting all seven emeralds with each character.

Fortunately the bonuses were kinda lame after Chao Garden. You could cheese it with Cream or Tails being able to fly everywhere once and just call it a day.

Amy was just a clone of Sonic and didn't have her unique moves, sound test is whatever, and boss time attack is kinda silly when the bosses are already separate acts on the stage select.

Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic CD
Mean Bean Machine
Sonic R
Sonic Triple Trouble
Sonic the Fighters
Sonic 2 Game Gear

I believe are all of the classic games referenced?

RIP Sonic Schoolhouse and 3D Blast

Well, Bad Future Stardust is at least referenced in Metal Sonic's boss song. Kind of wish it quickly changed to bad future's background for just that fight, though.

Chaotix
also gets referenced.

Just finished my Sonic-only playthrough of the game. Definitely my GOTY so far. My only major complaint is the disparity in quality between levels; not as in "good-to-bad" but "great-to-okay". Levels like Lava Reef and Oil Ocean aren't terrible, but they didn't have the same sense of speed or scope that Pressing Gardens and Stardust Speedway had.

Regardless, game is has turned me into a fan. Are the first two Sonic games worth playing, or should I skip to Sonic 3?

13ruce

Banned
Just finished my Sonic-only playthrough of the game. Definitely my GOTY so far. My only major complaint is the disparity in quality between levels; not as in "good-to-bad" but "great-to-okay". Levels like Lava Reef and Oil Ocean aren't terrible, but they didn't have the same sense of speed or scope that Pressing Gardens and Stardust Speedway had.

Regardless, game is has turned me into a fan. Are the first two Sonic games worth playing, or should I skip to Sonic 3?

Sonic 2 and CD also are worth playing.
Sonic 1 is worth it if you just wanna see the orginal game but the taxman port is greatly improved it got the spindash and new playable characters so if you can get that one yes otherwise it depends if you just wanna experience a part of gaming history.

But Sonic 3 + K is a must play regardless.

Edit: CD and 2 also have taxman ports.

RRockman

Banned

Sonic 3 and Knux!!!! Do it!!!!

For one,
Super Tails hasn't been nerfed in Sonic 3 and K and he is great fun, Hyper Sonic has yet to be topped

Guess Who

Banned

Having replayed all of them the day before Mania released, Sonic 1 is a bit rough these days. Sonic 2 is definitely worth playing, as is Sonic 3 & Knuckles. CD is also a good time, though it is a little... different.

KingBroly

Banned
Just finished
Oil Ocean Zone. Hmm...no sir, I don't like it. At least Act 2 and the Boss. Going through Oil felt like I wasn't able to jump properly.

I liked the Zone before that one quit a bit, tbh.

LordKano

Was anyone disappointed with the ending just being a super short video clip? I kind of missed the humble cheery endings from Sonic 2 along with a flyby of all the stages again

I was initially disappointed too until I understood what it (the true ending) was was supposed to mean

jman2050

I just realized that speedrunners of this game are going to have to
learn how to play Puyo Puyo for real, since the absolute fastest way through that fight is building a 5-chain as quickly as possible.

Sciz

3&K is the closest equivalent by a long shot if you like the exact formula Mania is going for. The other three are still good in their own right, and you'll find people championing each of them as the series' best based on their individual design goals. 1 is a slower paced game on the whole, 2 kicks the pacing up significantly but lacks the sheer size of 3, and CD is more interested in being an exploratory physics playground than anything else.

I just realized that speedrunners of this game are going to have to
learn how to play Puyo Puyo for real, since the absolute fastest way through that fight is building a 5-chain as quickly as possible.

Or they'll find a way to force themselves through the wall to skip it entirely.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
No, they only go to Lava Reef Act 2. Knuckles goes to the emerald shrine from S3K.

I'm pretty sure it's all part of the same map, just in wholly enclosed halves that don't connect.

FYI, if you examine that stage via debug mode, you can find more familiar rooms that aren't actually used in this game.

Steroyd

I put Undertale on the back burner to play this glad I did (also I'm assuming it's the shorter game of the 2 games obv) the week is just insane for new games coming out, as someone who will always say he likes the initial levels of Sonic games and then my enthusiasm peters out when getting close to the end, this is goddamn refreshing, just when I think I'm just doing a remix of the great Sonic levels I loved back in the day from the first 3 games it turns my expectations on its head in act 2, met with interesting bosses at the end
flipped my shit with the puyo puyo boss.
I'm up to Hydrocity and I feel as invigorated as I did in green Hill zone, do I dare join the Sonic cycle for the new 3D game if this is Sonic coming out of rehab.

Top Bottom