• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Guess Who

Banned
No, all of the boss fights of Lava Reef Act 2 take place in Hidden Palace. Sonic and Tails fight Heavy Rider in the upper levels of it.

Ah, you're right - there's a small segment of "Hidden Palace" floor tiles before the Sonic boss.

I'm pretty sure it's all part of the same map, just in wholly enclosed halves that don't connect.

FYI, if you examine that stage via debug mode, you can find more familiar rooms that aren't actually used in this game.

"Hidden Palace" in S3K has unique level art that isn't used in "Lava Reef" - Mania uses the Hidden Palace floor tiles in the boss arenas in Lava Reef Act 2. I didn't notice it used them in the Sonic & Tails boss fight too at first.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
"Hidden Palace" in S3K has unique level art that isn't used in "Lava Reef" - Mania uses the Hidden Palace floor tiles in the boss arenas in Lava Reef Act 2. I didn't notice it used them in the Sonic & Tails boss fight too at first.

And what I'm saying is that both bosses in that area are on the same map. You just can't cross from one area to the other without debug.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just finished my Sonic-only playthrough of the game. Definitely my GOTY so far. My only major complaint is the disparity in quality between levels; not as in "good-to-bad" but "great-to-okay". Levels like Lava Reef and Oil Ocean aren't terrible, but they didn't have the same sense of speed or scope that Pressing Gardens and Stardust Speedway had.

Regardless, game is has turned me into a fan. Are the first two Sonic games worth playing, or should I skip to Sonic 3?

Mania got me to play Sonic 3&K and it is fantastic. In some ways I may even rank it ahead of Mania, but its a perfect companion play if you want more Sonic. Get it on Steam and add the free steamworks mod Sonic 3 Complete for some nice fixes and options.

Sonic 1 can be a bit rough in that stages are split into 3 acts(instead of two) that can feel tedious to work through. Some neat levels though, most that rarely ever get much appreciation beyond Green Hill Zone sadly.

Sonic 2 is better, but feeling a bit dated compared to 3&K. Definitely worth a play though.

13ruce

Banned
How did I go from being skeptical of 2D Sonic, to Sonic Mania being my current #2 pick for GOTY
What's your first?
Mine is
Splatoon 2
Then Zelda (2th).
Then Mania (3th).
Then Nier Automata(4th).
Mario Odyssey probably will tie with Zelda or Mania and Metroid will take Automata's place or share it or be 5th.

RRockman

Banned
What's your first?
Mine is
Splatoon 2
Then Zelda (2th).
Then Mania (3th).
Then Nier Automata(4th).
Mario Odyssey probably will tie with Zelda or Mania and Metroid will take Automata's pace or share it.

For me it's looking like

Zelda
Tied with:

Sonic Mania
then,

Fire Emblem Echoes
Wolfenstien 2
TEW2
Mario Odyssey

Of course the last 3 have yet to come out, so their positions are subject to change.

Sciz

FYI, if you examine that stage via debug mode, you can find more familiar rooms that aren't actually used in this game.

I was really looking forward to seeing what they did with that bit the moment I hit Lava Reef, and it kills me that it is in the game, but the mural is just garbage tiles. The bits of scaffolding and the camera lock back there suggest that the Heavy Rider fight was originally going to be further into the area, but then it got pushed forward for some reason. Given the overall lack of cutscenes in the back half of the game, there was probably supposed to be one around the mural, but they straight up ran out of time to finish it, I guess.

Neiteio

What's your first?
Mine is
Splatoon 2
Then Zelda (2th).
Then Mania (3th).
Then Nier Automata(4th).
Mario Odyssey probably will tie with Zelda or Mania and Metroid will take Automata's place or share it or be 5th.
My current Top 5 for GotY is probably:

1) Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2) Sonic Mania
3) Resident Evil VII
4) Splatoon 2
5) Nioh

How did I go from being skeptical of 2D Sonic, to Sonic Mania being my current #2 pick for GOTY

lol

It's my #2 as well (I know BotW is both of our picks for #1).

I've always enjoyed classic Sonic games, but this is the first one I've fallen head-over-heels in love with.

Edit - Damn our top 4 is the same. I own Nioh but haven't played it yet. Nier Automata is my #5 as of now. ARMS is #6.

goldenpp72

Figured i'd put in a quick review, as a big fan of both the classic and many modern Sonic titles, this is one of the best in the series, but it definitely has room to improve.

The graphics and such are largely great with just some off things here or there, there are a variety of bugs I ran into, most particular the music would cut out once in awhile and never resume until I would trigger a new level, the new music and the remixes are all very well done, fantastic boss fights that only get better upon repetition, and the best special stages in the 2d series once you wrap your head around them. The level design is excellent and likely the best in the 2d games (and thus, the entire series), and overall it's just a joy to play.

With that said, it does have a variety of bugs, and some issues. For one thing, making Blue Spheres the special stage for the poles is kind of lame, while they are fun to play they take too long and don't offer any reward for in game, which means once you beat them all there is nothing to gain, no rings, no lives, no shields, no anything. Blue Spheres should not have been included as part of the main game in my mind, and instead maybe just throw in 4 or 5 random sorts of bonus games (with a mixture of the ones from sonic 3 and knuckles). I would have preferred Blue Spheres as its own mode with badges to earn and such. Also, I believe the game would have benefited a lot from the red ring concept being added in, they inspire you to explore the levels and Mania has a LOT to explore. Make them a shared resource for all the characters so that you can explore each level fully one time, and in turn, have THOSE be the thing that unlocks extra content, not blue spheres. Also add in letter ranks for time trial mode so people know what to aim for.

Aside that, while I love the remix levels mostly, a couple of them are too similar to the originals and in general, I feel too much of Mania owes its identity to the older titles. I would hope in the future the team is allowed to flex more original content with only some remix, and not the ratio we got. The story flow and such is also much less interesting than what you see in Sonic 3/Knuckles.

With that all said, Sonic Mania is probably the single best release of the series for the 2D entries, only competing with Sonic 3/Knuckles when locked on, which I would likely still put a little ahead of Mania overall, but it's close. The fact it's something I prefer over any single Genesis Sonic is in itself a huge deal though, excellent overall effort. I hope if they get the chance to make a second game, they take consideration of things like the above. If they want to go even above and beyond that, give more unique content for each character.

If you've ever enjoyed a 2d Sonic game at all, you can't go wrong with this one.

It's tough for me. Zelda is probably my current number one, but Sonic Mania is certainly in second place. However, I will say the latter is much closer than I thought any game would get to Breath of the Wild (Odyssey aside).

I actually think Zelda has more glaring flaws than Mania though, so who knows how I'll feel at the end of the year...

Item Box

There's a really easy section in
press garden
act 2 to run blue spheres if you're trying to collect every medal

About halfway through the stage, there's two checkpoints separated vertically by a special stage ring in between. Hit one, enter the stage, and when finished climb up/drop down to the other checkpoint and repeat

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
We're doing top 5 goty lists? Cool. Order is pretty interchangeable but these are definitely my top 5.

1. Zelda BOTW
2. Sonic Mania
3. Resident Evil 7
4. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine Tetris. Lol. It's true though. Puyo Puyo Tetris was the surprise hit of the year. I didn't even like Mean Bean Machine much as a kid. But now I actually learned how to play it and it finally clicked. Must have put like 10 hours in to the demo alone.
5. Splatoon 2

We're doing top 5 goty lists? Cool. Order is pretty interchangeable but these are definitely my top 5.

1. Zelda BOTW
2. Sonic Mania
3. Resident Evil 7
4. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine Tetris. Lol. It's true though. Puyo Puyo Tetris was the surprise hit of the year. I didn't even like Mean Bean Machine much as a kid. But now I actually learned how to play it and it finally clicked. Must have put like 10 hours in to the demo alone.
5. Splatoon 2

Yeah, it's damn good and a perfect Switch game.

There's a really easy section in
press garden
act 2 to run blue spheres if you're trying to collect every medal

About halfway through the stage, there's two checkpoints separated vertically by a special stage ring in between. Hit one, enter the stage, and when finished climb up/drop down to the other checkpoint and repeat

There's an easier method than this.
When you've unlocked debug mode, just give yourself enough rings then put a star post right next to you and jump in. Lather, rinse, repeat. And yes, it still counts if you beat them that way.
Admittedly you can't immediately do that from the start of the game, since
debug mode is unlocked via blue spheres...

LordKano

Just to be sure : we all agree that collecting gold medal serves no purpose, right ?
'cause I still haven't unlocked anything despite having a few silver medals and it's worrying.

Neiteio

lol

It's my #2 as well (I know BotW is both of our picks for #1).

I've always enjoyed classic Sonic games, but this is the first one I've fallen head-over-heels in love with.

Edit - Damn our top 4 is the same. I own Nioh but haven't played it yet. Nier Automata is my #5 as of now. ARMS is #6.
That's funny, I have Nier but haven't played it yet. It's like we own each other's No. 5 games but just haven't played them yet, lol. And like you, ARMS is my No. 6 as well.

Item Box

There's an easier method than this.
When you've unlocked debug mode, just give yourself enough rings then put a star post right next to you and jump in. Lather, rinse, repeat. And yes, it still counts if you beat them that way.
Admittedly you can't immediately do that from the start of the game, since
debug mode is unlocked via blue spheres...
I actually have
debug mode unlocked
, but never thought about doing that...

I tried spawning special stage rings before to see if it would work and nothing happens(you just get 10 rings), so I assumed blue spheres wouldn't work either.
Good to know

Lol. That boss in
Oil Ocean Act 1
is such a fucking troll.

Also, I'm pretty sure I hate the special stages. Those things are anti-fun.

what's your favorite music of the game?

The soundtrack is absolutely stellar across the board but I like
Press Garden Zone (A1), Studiopolis (A2), Mirage Saloon (A2) and Stardust Speedway (A1) the most... Hydrocity is never not cool though and it's telling that musically it feels mostly untouched in both acts - it's too good to mess with.

But honestly it's all awesome. One of the few games where I'm constantly blown away by how good it is.

What's your first?
Mine is
Splatoon 2
Then Zelda (2th).
Then Mania (3th).
Then Nier Automata(4th).

Zelda or Mario
Mario or Zelda
*Nier Automata
Sonic Mania
Resident Evil 7

* Haven't actually played, just based upon good faith and what I've seen it'll likely be top 3

Ristifer

1) Press Garden Zone (all of it)
2) Mirage Saloon Zone (all of it)
3) Mean Bean Machine
4) Titanic Monarch Zone Act 1
5) Studiopolis Zone Act 1
6) Oil Ocean Zone Act 2

But it really is all awesome.

1. Stardust Speedway Act 2
2. Chemical Plant Act 2
Press Garden
Act 1
4. Studiopolis Act 2
Hydrocity
Act 2

HM: Stardust Speedway Boss, Mirage Saloon Act 1 (K) ,
Metallic Madness
Act 1,
Oil Ocean
Act 2

Pretty much impossible to make a real definitive list, but here's some favorites:

Flying Battery Zone Act 1 & 2 (I teared up a bit when I was playing)

Oil Ocean Act 2

Metallic Madness Act 1

Studiopolis Act 2

Chemical Plant Act 2

Hard Boiled Heavy theme

I can't finish
mecha sonic
as Knuckles.
I just can't get the height

Are you talking about the section where
Metal Sonic hooks himself up to the machine? You have to spindash into the miniature Silver Sonics when they spindash to bounce them around to hit him.
There are definitely one or two fights that are harder with him, but I didn't think that one was.

Anth0ny

1. Sonic Mania
2. i guess that zelda game?
3-5. who cares

Mario will probably win in the end, though. but 2017 could very well be a year where the two best games are Mario and Sonic platformers.

Kalor

Are the blue orb stages picked from the ones you haven't done? I presume so since tying them to a level would make figuring out what ones you have left a pain.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*gets to the
Oil Ocean
Act 2 boss that everyone seems to dislike*

Some of the hitboxes are bull, but once I figured it out, it barely lasted 20-30 seconds since I was able to land half the hits early on before the fight even "started", but considering I lost a few lives before trying to fully figure out the hitboxes, I can see why it was annoying for some people.

...even if I personally was more annoyed by a certain Stardust Speedway part.

1. Stardust Speedway Act 2 (Honestly the transition from Act 1 to Act 2 might be my all time favorite gaming moment. When that Act 2 music first hit. Damn!)
2. Mirage Saloon Act 2 (Gonna do a Knuckles playthrough this weekend.)
3. Press Garden Act 2
4. Stardust Speedway Act 1
5. Studiopolis Act 2

Oh and my Game of the Year List so far just for fun:
1. Sonic Mania
2. Persona 5
3. Nier:Automata
4. Yakuza 0
5. Gravity Rush 2

I'm honestly shocked at how good Sonic Mania is. I didn't think any game would beat out Persona 5 for me this year.

Kinsei

Banned
I finished my Knuckles run so that's the game beaten with all 3 characters. I really, really like this game.

One things don't make sense to me. Why has Angel Island fallen into the sea at the start of the game and why is Knuckles so chill about it?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh damn at Act 2 of
Lava Reef, it has the conveyor belts from Sonic CD! & surprised at the music being rather setting the mood

...& you guys weren't kidding about the 5th emerald stage, damn it....

LordKano

And I thought I saw everything the game had to offer.
DHi6kF0VoAAVJG-.jpg
I must have done Stardust Speedway Act 2 like 5 times before (god knows how much I love it) and only just discovered this with Knuckles, like, just how meaty this game is ?

Top Bottom