• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

*gets to the
Oil Ocean
Act 2 boss that everyone seems to dislike*

Some of the hitboxes are bull, but once I figured it out, it barely lasted 20-30 seconds since I was able to land half the hits early on before the fight even "started", but considering I lost a few lives before trying to fully figure out the hitboxes, I can see why it was annoying for some people.

...even if I personally was more annoyed by a certain Stardust Speedway part.

Knuckles jump height can be an issue with the platforms on this one. Otherwise, I had very little trouble when I played through it as Sonic.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yo, WHAT, they brought back
Metallic Madness
?! Oh man, wasn't expecting that, but I wasn't fond of it in its original game, let's see how this'll fair.

Replayed Knuckles' Mirage Saloon 1 and tried to take in more of the details. It's a fun stage that plays to his abilities, but I wish the length was swapped with Act 2. It's just way too short for Sonic and Tails. My casual run of K's act 1 ran about 3.5-4 minutes, which is perfect for me. It's too bad that you can blaze through Act 2 in 1.5-2 minutes, even taking the lower route.

lol

It's my #2 as well (I know BotW is both of our picks for #1).

Edit - Damn our top 4 is the same. I own Nioh but haven't played it yet. Nier Automata is my #5 as of now. ARMS is #6.

friends

persona

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ugh, the trophy/achievement associated with
Metallic Madness
is gonna suck since it's tied to the Act 2 boss.

.....but at the very least, it's SOOOOOO much better compared to its source material.

& yay, unlocked
the sound test
. Only 4 more Blue Spheres to clear, then 10 silvers to upgrade to gold.

How did I go from being skeptical of 2D Sonic, to Sonic Mania being my current #2 pick for GOTY
I'm more surprised that in the many platformer musings on GAF we'd never got you to try Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Replayed Knuckles' Mirage Saloon 1 and tried to take in more of the details. It's a fun stage that plays to his abilities, but I wish the length was swapped with Act 2. It's just way too short for Sonic and Tails. My casual run of K's act 1 ran about 3.5-4 minutes, which is perfect for me. It's too bad that you can blaze through Act 2 in 1.5-2 minutes, even taking the lower route.

Everytime I've played Act 2 I keep reaching the boss in like 2 minutes and feeling incredibly deflated.
Knux Act 1 is so good but the whole Zone feels more like a "what could've been".

And I thought I saw everything the game had to offer.

I must have done Stardust Speedway Act 2 like 5 times before (god knows how much I love it) and only just discovered this with Knuckles, like, just how meaty this game is ?

Is that unique to Knuckles? I definitely had a few grab-the-rocket moments in my Sonic+Tails playthrough.

Yukinari

Trying to do the trophies and this game needs some patching cause i wanna cut myself.

Why does running into a ring box thats right between a ceiling and floor sometimes crush you.

And why the hell is super sonic not its own button???? It was in Generations. You cant glide as knuckles or use shields as sonic cause super forms always override those actions.

Not

Banned
On Titanic Monarch. Reached the last boss twice. I'm so frigging bad at the bonus stages, only have two emeralds so far. Don't like how the big ring portals don't respawn.

Guys, is there anyway to get more lives fast? I get hit all the time so getting 100 rings is hella rare. And it's bullshit that you have to start over at the beginning of Act 1 after every Game Over.

Shadic7700

Guys, is there anyway to get more lives fast? I get hit all the time so getting 100 rings is hella rare. And it's bullshit that you have to start over at the beginning of Act 1 after every Game Over.
Replay Green Hill act 1 easy 100 rings + big ring for emerald farming if you lose on special stage quit and try again at least that's what I do.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Think I'm gonna have to start looking up some of these blue spheres because they don't make sense in how you're suppose to clear them. Mainly, when & which direction you gotta bounce on the orange spheres.

....best video I can find is Gamexplain, but it's freakin' 50 minutes & hard to find the specific stages I'm stuck on, not to mention some stages aren't gold.

Me after the first act: "Eh, this is pretty much Sonic 1 & 2."

2 hours later:

I3lnCZS.gif

God this plane level kinda blows tho. I keep accidentally spindashing and falling off

If you accidentally begin a spin dash, just try to rev once before releasing. You shouldn't fall off doing that.

Hope they patch it either way. Don't recall it happening in Sky Chase.

Remind me, what's the best way to farm for rings to retry for the emeralds?

Press Garden Act 1
is good. Move to the lower left once the path becomes available.

Sonic was my first real venture into (console) gaming.... Sonic Adventure, that is.

Loved SA1 and SA2, but never really "got" the 2D Sonics.

Reading the thread on front page makes me interested, but Im not sure if its totally for me. I'd buy a good 3D Sonic game though, something like Generations or Colors or Utopia.

Are there actually any Sonic gamers like me who aren't huge Sonic fans, but enjoyed the 3D games?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Phew, 6th emerald wasn't too bad. Took about 4 tries, but seemed easier.

Any tips on the sixth Special Stage? Lots of spikes here...
DON'T hit the jump rails, & like Xtortionist said, try to keep to the shortcuts/shortest routes instead of focusing on rings & such, because by the time you secure a lot of rings, you'll be so far behind.

I got lucky & was able to nab the UFO with 2 rings to spare.

Phatcorns

Am I spin dashing right? You hold down and then press jump a bunch of times until it's full speed, then just release? I feel like I'm not going that fast

Guess Who

Banned
Am I spin dashing right? You hold down and then press jump a bunch of times until it's full speed, then just release? I feel like I'm not going that fast

Yep. It's not meant to zoom you at maximum speed, though - it's meant to give you some momentum to get started if you got hit or ran into something or otherwise stopped dead.

Phatcorns

Yep. It's not meant to zoom you at maximum speed, though - it's meant to give you some momentum to get started if you got hit or ran into something or otherwise stopped dead.

Cool. Haha, I mean, I'm just doing it the same way I've been doing it since I was a kid but I was wondering if it was one of those "I've been doing it wrong for years" type of things.

smoothj

I'm by no means a sonic fan but the positive looks I'm seeing and hearing is pushing me over the edge to pick up. It's the perfect price point for me. I did enjoy generations so I'm hoping it's more of the same just 2d.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, uh...yeah, the final chaos emerald stage was really easy in comparison. Took me only 2 attempts?

Also crap, since I did a game with Sonic AND Tails, does this mean if I want to replay a certain stage with only Sonic, I gotta redo the entire game with just him? Can I just get Tails assigned to a 2nd controller so he can stay out of the way?

Holy shit peeps. I just beat
Stardust Speedway and the Metal Sonic fight
. That was some pretty special stuff. I loved it. Only died once :)

Blue Spheres can fucking suck though. I can get silver medals for days but fail trying to get golds.

If you accidentally begin a spin dash, just try to rev once before releasing. You shouldn't fall off doing that.

Hope they patch it either way. Don't recall it happening in Sky Chase.

Press Garden Act 1
is good. Move to the lower left once the path becomes available.

Sky chase with super sonic or tails is a death trap

13ruce

Banned
I'm by no means a sonic fan but the positive looks I'm seeing and hearing is pushing me over the edge to pick up. It's the perfect price point for me. I did enjoy generations so I'm hoping it's more of the same just 2d.

Oh it's even better, you will have a great time i am sure of it.

Guess Who

Banned
Wow, uh...yeah, the final chaos emerald stage was really easy in comparison. Took me only 2 attempts?

Also crap, since I did a game with Sonic AND Tails, does this mean if I want to replay a certain stage with only Sonic, I gotta redo the entire game with just him? Can I just get Tails assigned to a 2nd controller so he can stay out of the way?

There's always time attack mode if you want to play an individual stage with any characters. Doesn't include bosses, though.

If you liked the "classic Sonic" stages in Generations, imagine that but tremendously better (and pixel arty).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's always time attack mode if you want to play an individual stage with any characters. Doesn't include bosses, though.
I did that for some stages, but the problem is that for one stage, it relates to the Act 2 boss.

You have to
let all 8 of those "Eggmins" loose on the screen in Metallic Madness, then defeat them

Guess Who

Banned
Also the level select cheat on Switch (has anyone figured it out for XBO/PS4 yet?).

I think someone figured out that on XBO/PS4, you have to unlock
debug mode
first. Wouldn't be surprised if the Switch version being accessible from the title screen is a developer trick Tantalus accidentally left in, haha.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"beat a specific zone without taking a hit"

*beats boss, but Super Sonic stops once the boss is defeated, hits enemy bullet but has the shield so still has rings, it doesn't count*

UUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH

Edit: There we go. Now it's just the trophy tied to
Metallic Madness
& finishing up the last 4 blue spheres. Press Garden 2 was the best to farm blue sphere, is that right?

ZeroD

Quick question about the real final boss.

I'm assuming that egg man is fighting his robot over the stone? Or are they just passing it back and forth as you fight them? At the start it seems like they are butting heads together.

Top Bottom