• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Berordn

Quick question about the real final boss.

I'm assuming that egg man is fighting his robot over the stone? Or are they just passing it back and forth as you fight them? At the start it seems like they are butting heads together.

They're definitely fighting over it. Eggperor seems to have taken after the rogue Eggrobo from S&K and began acting on his own accord (or maybe he is that eggrobo, and he's just gone a bit power mad after dying to Eggman's own robots).

muteki

Went back and got the rest of the emeralds on CPZ1. 5 was pretty easy, 6 gave me the biggest headache. 7 was a cakewalk.

Really fun though.

Dartastic

I cannot believe the amount of people who are thinking that Sonic Mania is better than Zelda. Dudes. Step back for a second. Sonic Mania is great, but better than BOTW? No. BOTW deserves to be in the discussion for one of the best games of all time. Sonic Mania, while great, is a Sonic game. We've played something like this multiple times before.

I cannot believe the amount of people who are thinking that Sonic Mania is better than Zelda. Dudes. Step back for a second. Sonic Mania is great, but better than BOTW? No. BOTW deserves to be in the discussion for one of the best games of all time. Sonic Mania, while great, is a Sonic game. We've played something like this multiple times before.

uno1.gif

This reeks of Sonicwasnevergoodism.

So I have only one other gif to express my sentiments to this post.

tenor.gif

I've been waiting 23 years for this shit.

23 goddamn years, and it is tone and pitch and gameplay perfect.

And I can't get past Flying Battery Zone.

But I don't care because it is perfect.

At least Sonic's emeralds dont break.

Damn dude just showed up and got defensive lol. I enjoy Sonic more than Zelda. I couldn't get into any Zelda game as a kid. Still can't. It's all good though! Different strokes.

-shadow-

I can not get over those terrible blue sphere stages. I've done tons of them and haven't finished a single one of them. They're not fun, they're busy work and not fun in the slightest. Couldn't they have done something else? Those 3D ones for the Chaos Emeralds are terrific, would've like more of those.

Opinions, mate.

FSLink

Banned
It's almost like opinions can be different. Get off your high horse.

(And I actually still have BOTW as my favorite game this year.)

Berordn

If you wanna go about it that way, playing Zelda 1 and any open world game means you've played something like BOTW before.

Guess they're both out of the running!

Phediuk

There have been many open-world games in the last decade.

On the other hand, there's been nothing like Sonic Mania.

I can not get over those terrible blue sphere stages. I've done tons of them and haven't finished a single one of them. They're not fun, they're busy work and not fun in the slightest. Couldn't they have done something else? Those 3D ones for the Chaos Emeralds are terrific, would've like more of those.
Yeah, not a fan of the blue sphere bonus stages. Would have much preferred the Sonic 2 bonus stages.

13ruce

Banned

I respect their opinions tbh everyone is free to like what they want if they liked Mania more than Zelda well why not? I am sure they still find Zelda a fantastic game. Having a very good classic like Sonic game on par with S3+K must be a dream come true for em.

Heck i am a super huge Zelda fan have 2 tats and played BotW for 200 hours and while it's a masterpiece etc i like Splatoon 2 slightly more.

I would put both Mania and BotW on my games of all time list for sure altho i would put BotW above Mania as i enjoyed Zelda more.

Stopdoor

What I really don't understand is tying them to every single goalpost and making you finish literally every single one to slowly get unlockables. They're not the worst thing in the world, but I'm kind of baffled they'd tie every single unlockable to them. I feel the compulsion to just grind them out instead of playing the main game I actually enjoy.

Might've been cool if they randomized in Sonic 1 and 2 bonus stages as well for variety, then maybe I could tolerate it.

Guess Who

Banned
I saw a recommendation I agreed with earlier in the thread that what they should've done is tie unlockables to something like Red Star Rings in modern Sonic games, which are red rings you can find hidden throughout the level to encourage exploration/replays/nailing tricky jumps/etc. Then making the bonus stages more like S3Ks, where they award you with shields, rings, etc. (and are also much shorter). Just leave Blue Sphere to an unlockable mode.

Yukinari

I saw a recommendation I agreed with earlier in the thread that what they should've done is tie unlockables to something like Red Star Rings in modern Sonic games, which are red rings you can find hidden throughout the level to encourage exploration/replays/nailing tricky jumps/etc. Then making the bonus stages more like S3Ks, where they award you with shields, rings, etc. (and are also much shorter). Just leave Blue Sphere to an unlockable mode.

Red Rings would add replay value and give even more reasons to explore the levels aside from special stage rings or achievements.

Some of the blue sphere layouts are already hard enough with tight jumps and turns and they expect people to play them perfectly. Id be shocked if the majority of players even unlocked the extras and just gave up.

Guess Who

Banned
Red Rings would add replay value and give even more reasons to explore the levels aside from special stage rings or achievements.

Some of the blue sphere layouts are already hard enough with tight jumps and turns and they expect people to play them perfectly. Id be shocked if the majority of players even unlocked the extras and just gave up.

From my understanding, you actually don't have to get gold medals for unlockables.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's one Blue Sphere where you most likely will fair because you have to make such sharp turns after bouncing on orange spheres & your first time playing, you're most likely not going to know & run into a red sphere before knowing what even happened. Probably one of the worst stages, though there's one where you're running outside of giant squares that's also annoying.

How many medals do you need for
Puyo? I have half of them and still no Puyo
I want to say just a few more, you should be close. If you unlocked
Debug Mode
, then the unlock you want should be next.

ZeroD

They're definitely fighting over it. Eggperor seems to have taken after the rogue Eggrobo from S&K and began acting on his own accord (or maybe he is that eggrobo, and he's just gone a bit power mad after dying to Eggman's own robots).

Cheers, I figured as much. Makes me wish for more stage transitions though, to build up to it rather that it suddenly happen.

RRockman

Banned

You've pushed me over the edge!

Sonic Mania is now my current GOTY.

Thanks.

Spaghetti

I feel like I'm the only person on earth who likes blue sphere sometimes, hahaha.

They're outright devious in Mania occasionally, though.

While I do enjoy Blue Spheres, I have to agree that there should've been actual bonus stages like 3&K so you can get some extra lives, and maybe a spare shield + combine ring combo for an upcoming boss.

At the same time, fuck those moments when you enter the slot machine one, perfectly fall to the middle no matter how hard you try to avoid it; get 3 Robotniks and lose the +100 rings on hand (i.e.
Everytime I enter those bonus stages)

What's the point of sonic and tails mode if your playing by yourself?

Getting screwed over when Tails ends up hitting a boss you were already jumping into and Sonic ends up getting hit after the enemy's i-frames end

I want to say just a few more, you should be close. If you unlocked
Debug Mode
, then the unlock you want should be next.
Debug was my last unlock, but it was like 4 or 5 medals ago, so I guess I'm very close

It's kind of funny how badly I want to unlock Puyo when I can easily just pop an entire full length Puyo game into my Switch. I own Puyo Puyo Tetris! Guess I just want to relive the Bean Machine glory days.

Tails does extra damage/can tank hits for you. He can also fly you places (hold up and press jump while he's airborne and he'll take flight, and once you jump into him, you control Tails fully for the flight)

I must have known this when I played the originals, been to long. I have sonic CD on my Xbox one. What's the best means to getting 1,2,3+knuckles? I'm on a sonic kick ATM

Ristifer

I liked it up to the point where I got half the medals and now every stage left in the rotation is a fucking asshole.
Yup, this is me. I love the Blue Spheres, but now that I'm having to get medals in all the bastard layouts, I keep seeing them over and over and hating existence.

Not

Banned
Oh wow I just read the unlockables you get for beating the blue sphere stages

I haven't beaten a single one 😑

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I must have known this when I played the originals, been to long. I have sonic CD on my Xbox one. What's the best means to getting 1,2,3+knuckles? I'm on a sonic kick ATM
I'm pretty sure all of them are on XBLA & backwards compatible, but I don't remember if they allowed 3 & K to be "combined".

I'm pretty sure all of them are on XBLA & backwards compatible, but I don't remember if they allowed 3 & K to be "combined".

Don't play the XBLA versions. Absolutely the worst version available. (CD being the exception, being the Taxman [Christian Whitehead] version.)

Nintendo Virtual Console is apparently the best platform to play the originals on (short of actually playing the originals), and K has the lock on feature intact there. There are also Taxman remakes of 1 and 2 on mobile.

Steam is all right, but 3+K has replaced music.

Worth noting the single controller flight mechanic is a Taxman thing (which is why it appears in Mania as well). Sonic 3 made you use the second controller for it, and airlifting wasn't possible in 2.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
where the fuck is this level select code on PS4
I think to access it,
you need to turn Debug Mode on, back out, then hold Square & X while highlighting & selecting No Save

Edit: I held Options as well, but I can confirm this worked.

.....I also confirmed that debug mode seems to disable achievements/trophies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god, I glitched the music completely after I beat a boss & exited. Had to completely close the game to fix it.

....man, I hate that I basically gotta replay the game to do a specific trophy that's related to the 2nd to last level, but oh well, I gotta do a Knuckles run anyways...

I'm not sure where this rumor started (I've been hearing it a lot lately), but I just loaded up Carnival Night via level select and it has its original music

Admittedly I don't own the Steam version and took someone else's word for it. Oops. I did own a non-Steam PC conversion of the game, and that had replaced music. (Also, the music that wasn't replaced sounded terrible anyway, owing to it being a bad MIDI conversion.)

What's not to like about it? It's just a pop-like remix of generic carnival music

It's probably more a instinctual revulsion from having been trapped by that damn bouncy thing.

Top Bottom