• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Just about to pre order this on Xbox live and I'm seeing this shit:

Release date: Tuesday, 15 August 2017, 16:00:00

Now I hope this is wrong. I was planning on trying this out for an hour or so at midnight tonight, what the fuck is this bull shit? 4PM on LAUNCH day? Is this a fuck up or what? Has anyone else preordered stuff on Live (in the UK) in the past and not been able to play on midnight of the release day?

celsowmbr

Banned
http://www.seganerds.com/2017/08/14/review-sonic-mania/

5-SN-Excellent.jpg

Kalnoky

If any of you guys in here have reviewed the Xbone/PS4 versions, any word on what the achievements/trophies are like? Doesn't look like that information has made it out there, besides this little excerpt in the Xbox Achievements review:

There are some smart tasks to tackle here, and a few that should prove a bit of a grind. Earning every gold medal on all 32 Bonus Stages is going to be a tall order, and obtaining all seven chaos emeralds isn't a walk in the park either. You'll have to work hard for all the achievements, if you want that all-important 1000G.

Hoping for some solid replay value.

Yousefb

Man, I am so excited for this game and have been waiting for Tuesday to come for so long! But couple days ago I noticed my Switch is warped/curved :/

So I spoke with Nintendo and will be sending it for repairs. Talk about horrible timing. I am thinking of waiting til after Tuesday anyway so I can play a little bit before I mail the Switch.

Zafir

Bah. My UK cards don't work on the AUS eshop, and offgamer has sold out. :/

Can't seem to find anywhere else selling AUS eshop codes, either.

Where are people getting that the CE will only arrive Thursday or after?
My order on amazon uk says will dispatch today, ETA is still Tomorrow and my emails all state receiving it 15th?

was there a tweet or press release?

Juicy Bob

I did search the thread, but can you play through the game in local co-op, Sonic 2 style?

This is the first game in ages my girlfriend is prepared to play with me.

Where are people getting that the CE will only arrive Thursday or after?
My order on amazon uk says will dispatch today, ETA is still Tomorrow and my emails all state receiving it 15th?

was there a tweet or press release?

Well here in the US, Amazon never had an option for release date delivery on the CEs, so they are doing the standard "2 day" shipping from Tuesday, which would be Thursday.

ZeroGravity

It's actually saying quite a bit since the first Sonic Rush and the first Sonic Advance are quite good.
They're okay, but they have absolutely nothing on the classic Sonic games. Advance in particular is more of a souless attempt at re-creating them. Rush is better because it has style and does its own thing, but the hold-boost-to-win level design is its biggest downfall.

I wouldn't put either game in the same league as the Genesis games, or what Mania looks to be from all accounts.

Calcaneus

I didn't fully appreciate how great this game looks until I went back and played the Genesis Sonics for a bit. Kinda feel like going through all of those + CD and Generations in preparation for this (since those are the ones I own).

Neiteio

Sonic Mania's fidelity to the source material, borrowing some elements and inventing many new ones, is pretty inspiring. Can someone do a similar revival of this series? (Links to L Thammy's GIF-heavy Let's Play thread)

Arrived while I was at work a day earlier than expected, I'm away for a few days tomorrow so didn't think I'd get a chance to play it but it's downloading now! Can't wait, haven't watched any gameplay videos apart from the original trailer so I'm going in pretty much blind. I'll be back to read through everything after finishing it :)

wkCXpJbl.jpg

Edit: My excitement got the better of me, code won't work until it's released :(

AdanVC

Fuck. I hate being poor and not even be able to afford this game. Hope y'all enjoy it! So nice to know this game is awesome!

Docpan

Are all versions 1080p?

Does ps4 version take advantage of increased resolution on Pro? Debating on Switch or PS4 versions -- have a 4ktv. Help appreciated from reviewers.

mrk8885

Banned
Wait there's seriously no Platinum or Gold trophies? That's fucking stupid. I blame SEGA. (I don't know if they're actually to blame or not but I have to place blame somewhere)

Of course they're to blame. Sony doesn't pick the trophies in a game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Damn all those sanic characters

Sonic the Hedgehog
Doctor Eggman
Miles "Tails" Prower
Amy Rose
Metal Sonic
Knuckles the Echidna
EggRobo
Nack the Weasel
Charmy Bee
Espio the Chameleon
Mighty the Armadillo
Vector the Crocodile
Big the Cat
Chaos
E-100 Series
Omochao
Tikal the Echidna
Shadow the Hedgehog
Professor Gerald Robotnik
Maria Robotnik
Rouge the Bat
Cream the Rabbit and Cheese the Chao
G.U.N. Commander
Blaze the Cat
Eggman Nega
Babylon Rogues
Jet the Hawk
Wave the Swallow
Storm the Albatross
Silver the Hedgehog
Orbot and Cubot
Wisps
Sticks the Badger

Ferr986

Doodled a little something for all those Sonic fans who never gave up!

wow this is lovely!

Great touch having everyone playing a different console.

PC players looking through the window lol

EDIT: Yoo just noticed, that TV looks like a big Game Gear!

RedToad64

Is there a midnight launch on Switch?
No. Nintendo only allows midnight releases for first-party games (in North America, at least).
Just about to pre order this on Xbox live and I'm seeing this shit:

Release date: Tuesday, 15 August 2017, 16:00:00

Now I hope this is wrong. I was planning on trying this out for an hour or so at midnight tonight, what the fuck is this bull shit? 4PM on LAUNCH day? Is this a fuck up or what? Has anyone else preordered stuff on Live (in the UK) in the past and not been able to play on midnight of the release day?
This is common for smaller games.

Top Bottom