• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Sami+

Fuck I got Super Knuckles at Stardust Speedway. Super form is cool but I kinda didn't want to trivialize the entire game lmao. Really hope they patch in a separate "super button" like on triangle or something.

13ruce

Banned
Fuck I got Super Knuckles at Stardust Speedway. Super form is cool but I kinda didn't want to trivialize the entire game lmao. Really hope they patch in a separate "super button" like on triangle or something.

Yeah agreed it's super annoying i can't use the new jump spindash anymore after 50 rings with sonic.

Quite amazed they didn't do that for this game, guessing they wanted to keep it retro and straight forward like sonic 2.

Oil Ocean Act 2 boss can go fuck itself.

The second half of this game is really putting a damper on my overall enjoyment of it.

Just take it slow and remember that you're safe in the oil as long as you keep jumping. Once the tentacles fire their third projectile you can dash in and wreak havoc.

Also, you're coming up on a stretch of three amazing levels.

TLS Lex

I've been having an absolute blast with this. Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive was my introduction to gaming and we finally have a worthy sequel to the classics in Mania.

Got all the emeralds with Sonic earlier today, going to complete my Knuckles and Tails playthroughs with the rest of the weekend.

I really thought I was going to dislike that they used so many classic stages rather than making the bulk of them new ones, but I'm super happy with what they've done with every single stage. I'm impressed in general, it never gets stale.

I've encountered one pretty major bug that was annoying though, (super sonic final boss spoilers)
I had real difficulty getting the hang of the SS "true" final boss, and went from 23 lives to 4 before I beat him for the first time. The "final hit" animation didn't trigger, I think because I somehow beat Robotnik before I beat the other thing, and I was sat there until Sonic ran out of rings and died. Had to do it again then it was fine ;-;

Honestly, I'm finding this more frustrating and myself more prone to death than in Sonic Rush, which was known for those things. There are too many places where you can go behind without any real indication, and so underwater sections not have air bubbles anymore? It's like if you know you're a certain distance from the surface you know 100% you're dying

Just take it slow and remember that you're safe in the oil as long as you keep jumping. Once the tentacles fire their third projectile you can dash in and wreak havoc.

Also, you're coming up on a stretch of three amazing levels.

I hope so! 'Cos these last 3 have been piss poor in my opinion. I was enjoying the game immensely up until that water Zone.

Honestly, I'm finding this more frustrating and myself more prone to death than in Sonic Rush, which was known for those things. There are too many places where you can go behind without any real indication, and so underwater sections not have air bubbles anymore? It's like if you know you're a certain distance from the surface you know 100% you're dying

Go behind?

The water section in Chemical Plant doesn't have bubbles, but it's laid out so you should have enough time to make it to the top without drowning. If you fall down in the narrow climb section, there's a special ring in the bottom right that will drain the water.

Sami+

Yeah agreed it's super annoying i can't use the new jump spindash anymore after 50 rings with sonic.

Seriously annoyed with it right now lol. I'm at Mirage Saloon Act 1 as Knuckles and the new music for this zone is fantastic. The Knuckles exclusive level design is really cool too-- it's just too bad I don't get to actually experience either properly. 😒

Next playthrough I think I'm just gonna look up and memorize where the giant rings are in TMZ so that I can just stay at six and purposely fail the rest until then so that I don't get them too early.

Yukinari

Finally got the last zone trophy where you cant get hit in act 1.

Super Sonic doesnt count, getting hit with a shield doesnt count, and restarting doesnt count you have to actually quit the level entirely and go back in.

What a shitty way to handle an achievement.

Timeaisis

Ok, how do you beat the boss on speedway? I know you have to
spin dash against the white guy and richochet him into the metal Sonic's chamber
but it seems completely random if it hits him. I did it once accidentally.

The bosses in this game are very not fun.

Gartooth

Just got all the chaos emeralds and the true ending with Sonic! Kind of strange how the special stages after 5 weren't that tough, but I'm not complaining.

Yukinari

spin dash against the white guy and richochet him into the metal Sonic's chamber

The best fights in the game are the hard boiled heavies and chemical plant act 2 boss.

Dont know what they were thinking with the super sonic fight.

Guess Who

Banned
tfw everyone hates Oil Ocean Act 2 but on my first run I didn’t even get hit once until halfway through the boss and still beat it in one try

http://i.imgur.com/lKQfPW3.gif works basically every time.

EDIT: Imgur says this GIF has 2500 views now lmao

Kinsei

Banned

When silver sonic charges a spin dash in the middle of the room then spin dash into him without charging. When Sliver Sonic charges a spin dash in the left or right corners of the room then hit him with a fully charged spin dash.

NZerker12

Completed Sonic & Tails playthrough with all emeralds along with Knuckles.

As for the Super forms does anyone else feel they are underwhelming including how they are handled. I mean coming from the Hyper forms in S3K, the Super forms here feel quite bland. After finding out they had no plans to add the Hyper forms I was hoping they would atleast carry over the abilities to the Super forms unfortunately this isn't the case. Not only that but the way you activate them is annoying. Perhaps I got too used to rom hacks that made it so you have to press 2 buttons to transform, but I was really hoping they would do that here.

However, with that being said this game is still awesome and is 2nd too Sonic 2 and 3K for me.

tfw everyone hates Oil Ocean Act 2 but on my first run I didn’t even get hit once until halfway through the boss and still beat it in one try

I actually don't mind the act at all! It's better than Act 1 for sure, the fire/oil gimmick is great (and much preferable to how Sandopolis did it), the boss just took a lot of wind out of my sails.

Oil Ocean is still a fucking bizarre choice though. Not exactly the most fondly remembered zone.

Sami+

I was super confused figuring him as Super Knuckles-- instead of
spindashing lil Silver Sonic when it's directly below Metal, you have to spindash when it's next to the wall either on the left or right.
No idea if that's a Super thing or a Knuckles thing, but it was definitely different from when I fought him as Sonic.

Kinsei

Banned
I actually don't mind the act at all! It's better than Act 1 for sure, the fire/oil gimmick is great (and much preferable to how Sandopolis did it), the boss just took a lot of wind out of my sails.

Oil Ocean is still a fucking bizarre choice though. Not exactly the most fondly remembered zone.

Oil Ocean isn't that bizarre. It's really the only other Sonic 2 zone they could use. I suppose they could have also used Mystic Cave but then they would have had to replace Lava Reef with something else.

Guess Who

Banned

I lol’d when I saw Act 2 has gimmicks from
Sandopolis
, like, “wow, it’s everyone’s favorite zones combined now, huh”

Oil Ocean isn't that bizarre. It's really the only other Sonic 2 zone they could use. I suppose they could have also used Mystic Cave but then they would have had to replace Lava Reef with something else.

I wouldn't have minded Hidden Palace getting the proper 2-Act treatment. You're not wrong - I would have liked Launch Base, perhaps instead, if I could suggest outside of StH2?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Man, this spider boss is making me nuts.
I know I need to hit him into the spikes but most hits barely budge him (and sometimes I jump through him). Ive actually run out of time multiple timed, I must be doing something wrong. Help

Should have been a new level disguised as Sunset Park

the fire shield interaction justifies Oil Ocean imo

I know I need to hit him into the spikes but most hits barely budge him (and sometimes I jump through him). Ive actually run out of time multiple timed, I must be doing something wrong. Help

Swinging into him using the spinning poles should guarantee a hit. For other hits try to spin dash and then jump into him.

13ruce

Banned

Do you also use those yellow sling poles? I just beat that boss that way always, jump into him when they come on screen and sling into him for a easy hit

Aki-at

Do you also use those yellow sling poles? I just beat that boss that way always, jump into him when they come on screen and sling into him for a easy hit

And remember, Sonic swings in the direction you aim with your d-pad, don't need to wait on any animation! :p

Quick question -

Do you reckon that the zone order was changed at the last minute during development, which is why some level transitions are "missing".

My reason for this thinking is animations may have been created to link certain levels, but due to a re-shuffle they needed to be taken out, and didn't have time to rework them.

Any one else think this may have been the case?

Kinsei

Banned
Quick question -

Do you reckon that the zone order was changed at the last minute during development, which is why some level transitions are "missing".

My reason for this thinking is animations may have been created to link certain levels, but due to a re-shuffle they needed to be taken out, and didn't have time to rework them.

Any one else think this may have been the case?

I think they just ran out of time to finish up the last few transitions. The order of the zones themselves seems like something they decided on pretty early on based on the story.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Should have been a new level disguised as Sunset Park

the fire shield interaction justifies Oil Ocean imo

Swinging into him using the spinning poles should guarantee a hit. For other hits try to spin dash and then jump into him.

That didn't seem to work but ill try again. Honestly, for all the praise this is getting, some seems pretty janky. Even get lots of slowdown on x1

Aki-at

I think they just ran out of time to finish up the last few transitions. The order of the zones themselves seems like something they decided on pretty early on based on the story.

Also worth pointing out the game got delayed from spring to summer so they clearly had other priorities to deal with other than level transitions.

Finalizer

Hell, I posted on the last page about enjoying the new Oil Ocean. Only reason I died a few times in this zone was searching for special stage rings and getting killed by something silly along the way. No issue with the boss either - the only boss I had real trouble with was the Flying Battery 2 boss, compared to that Oil Ocean 2 was pretty straightforward.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finally got the last zone trophy where you cant get hit in act 1.

Super Sonic doesnt count, getting hit with a shield doesnt count, and restarting doesnt count you have to actually quit the level entirely and go back in.

What a shitty way to handle an achievement.
Super Sonic should count, that's how I did it.

Yukinari

Super Sonic should count, that's how I did it.

Man i tried that with super sonic and super knuckles and neither time it popped up for me.

If theres video proof it works id like to see it cause otherwise its bugged.

I just opted to do the achievement in time trial mode.

oh.

Oh I beat
FBZ

Holy fuck at the zone after that, fucking
Press Garden.

zNP85pW.gif

Top Bottom