• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

How are you supposed to beat the Oil Ocean boss with Knuckles? I have never had so many game overs.

It's tougher because of his jump, but it's still doable.

Also, try to make it to that boss with a flame shield. There are at least three of them in the level and they're all easy to find.

Timeaisis

This game has so many cheap deaths, good lord.

Got to battery whatever the hell act 2, had 5 lives. Crushed by the environment like three times. And then there's a part where your supposed to hit a bumper and run upside down across drop. Of course, I didn't know there was a drop there and thought it could be a smaller area. Fell to my death. Second time, I let go of the control stick so I wasnt interrupting Sonic's natural movement across, but still fell to my death. Apparently you are supposed to hold over I dunno. Game over.

Fuck that. I don't know how all have patience for that level design bullshit in this game.

Not to mention the enemies have an extremely live and learn way of figuring out when you can hit them without dieing. The entire thing feels like an exercise in trial and error peppered with fun platforming.

Maybe I'm too old for this crap. Shame, because I really enjoy the levels, when they aren't making stupid decisions. I thought those be like old sonic with some modern design. But no, it's just old sonic.

Sciz

Got to battery whatever the hell act 2, had 5 lives. Crushed by the environment like three times. And then there's a part where your supposed to hit a bumper and run upside down across drop. Of course, I didn't know there was a drop there and thought it could be a smaller area. Fell to my death. Second time, I let go of the control stick so I wasnt interrupting Sonic's natural movement across, but still fell to my death. Apparently you are supposed to hold over I dunno. Game over.

Best practice for any propulsion mechanic in the classics, springs or otherwise, is to immediately start rolling.

Vampfox

Banned
Anyone else having a hard time trying to get their hands on the Nintendo Switch version of the game?
The Target that my Mom works at doesn't even have the game in their computer system.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Anyone else having a hard time trying to get their hands on the Nintendo Switch version of the game?
The Target that my Mom works at doesn't even have the game in their computer system.
It's a digital-only game, only way to get it is the eShop unless you get the LE, but did any retail stores actually get the LE outside of pre-orders?

Sega

optimistically: they didn't want to put pressure on a dev team shipping their first commercial original game. If so, once everything settles down, it'll get a physical release, at least in limited quantities

pessimistically: they're shook that this might sell more than Forces

sonto340

Sega

optimistically: they didn't want to put pressure on a dev team shipping their first commercial original game. If so, once everything settles down, it'll get a physical release, at least in limited quantities

Realistically: it’s dumb and too expensive to press 200mb onto a BluRay

Vampfox

Banned
Do the Nintendo cards work with the Switch or do I have to use a credit card to buy stuff on the Switch's eshop? I heard that you had to use a credit card.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Do the Nintendo cards work with the Switch or do I have to use a credit card to buy stuff on the Switch's eshop? I heard that you had to use a credit card.
Yes, the new eShop cards will work just fine, & you can use a debit card if you don't have a credit card.

schlew

Nintendo eShop cards work on the Switch. I've even seen Nintendo reps applying Switch stickers to the existing cards.

FSLink

Banned
I can't imagine that it would cost more than ~$1 per disc for manufacturing.

Yeah, it'd be pretty cheap.

But most likely they weren't sure how well it'd sell on a retailer's shelf. Releasing it later in a Taxman collection would probably make the most sense....but it's Sega so who knows if they'll actually do it.

How are you supposed to beat the Oil Ocean boss with Knuckles? I have never had so many game overs.

I beat him my first try on my second playthrough with Knuckles.

My trick is just to concentrate taking out the tentacle cannons first, don't bother hitting Robotnik just yet. When you fall in the oil, move as far away from Robotnik as possible and just dodge the bullets.

When they're both gone, he's completely disarmed and you just smack him from there.

Some posters on here said you can cheese it, but it never worked for me so I had to develop a strategy lol

Aki-at

Sega

Eh, I doubt they care which sells more so long as they're both commercial successes, Japan has been giving Sega Europe and America cash to make a secondary series based off of Sonic for a while. All this just means to Sega is more money if it's successful or not.

More realistically I'd imagine they're worried that two Sonic games so close to each other would eat one or the other's sales.

MrBadger

Well, I got all the emerdoods and beat the true final boss. Honestly...
it felt like a Sonic Advance final boss. It was really weird and confusing at first, then pretty easy and anticlimactic after I figured it out. I like the idea behind Eggman and Heavy King fighting over the purple stone thing though. Woulda been nice to have some more story segments towards the end to show those two characters falling out.
I liked it, but Doomsday Zone it ain't. Music was sublime though.

Anyway, I've beaten the game as Sonic and Knuckles, guess it's time for me to hit the blue spheres.

This game has so many cheap deaths, good lord.

Fuck that. I don't know how all have patience for that level design bullshit in this game.

Not to mention the enemies have an extremely live and learn way of figuring out when you can hit them without dieing. The entire thing feels like an exercise in trial and error peppered with fun platforming.

Maybe I'm too old for this crap. Shame, because I really enjoy the levels, when they aren't making stupid decisions. I thought those be like old sonic with some modern design. But no, it's just old sonic.
I know exactly what you mean. But lives are so easy to come by that cheap deaths here and there really don't even matter. Not to mention that the game is designed to played through multiple times, and you'll eventually learn the layouts. What's more frustrating to me is how easy it is to time out on certain bosses. I time out on the first pass at the flying battery boss every single time.
Best practice for any propulsion mechanic in the classics, springs or otherwise, is to immediately start rolling.
Also this.

Doing a Knuckles playthrough now. Mirage Saloon Act 1's music is so good!

Literally listening to it as I read this thread. Mirage Saloon in general is an absolute treat and I love it.

Anyway, my sister tried out Mania today after watching me play a bunch. She's always loved Sonic but only really played the Adventure games and is a casual gamer overall. One observation is that she had no interest at all in exploring the stage and would proceed to the right as quickly as she could. She also got two game overs in the Chemical Plant rising water section which I thought was hilarious (tbf to her, the blocks can crush you waaaay too easily.) She managed to get through Flying Battery with little trouble and actually didn't die once in Act 2 which she was proud of.

It's always nice getting people into games you love.

Finalizer

I hope they patch in some extra rewards for blue sphere gold medals. A no time limit mode would be pretty neat for just mucking about in the stages, especially for how wtfhueg they are. Feels like several a decent bit longer than Carnival Night 2 and Sandopolis 2.

I never knew I needed a remixed Oil Ocean in my life until Mania. I've come to appreciate the original zone the more I played it, so it was a welcome surprise to see that return, and lawd that 2nd act music. Mmm!

rec0ded1

Wow they really let
stardust speedway and metal Sonic
go to waste. Barely at the stage right after that so maybe there's more ahead.

Holy shit, Mirage Saloon is some shit-tier garbage. The water zone just before it was frustrating enough but at least it was tolerable. This is fucking awful. I keep dying because Sonic spin-dashes off the plane at top speed to his death when I don't want him to.

Holy shit, Mirage Saloon is some shit-tier garbage. The water zone just before it was frustrating enough but at least it was tolerable. This is fucking awful. I keep dying because Sonic spin-dashes off the plane at top speed to his death when I don't want him to.

Only rev once if you accidentally start a spin dash and he shouldn't fall off.

dlauv

It's bad, yeah. But stop spin-dashing, lol.

Donuts

I'm trying to avoid buying Sonic just yet, as I was never a HUGE fan of the franchise. How much of the hype behind it is just "OMG SONIC IS FINALLY GOOD" (which, to be fair, is kind of amazing)? I'm sure the question has been asked TONS of times in this thread, but as someone who was never really into the gameplay of the older sonic games, how does this one stand?

I'm trying to avoid buying Sonic just yet, as I was never a HUGE fan of the franchise. How much of the hype behind it is just "OMG SONIC IS FINALLY GOOD" (which, to be fair, is kind of amazing)? I'm sure the question has been asked TONS of times in this thread, but as someone who was never really into the gameplay of the older sonic games, how does this one stand?

I know quite a few people who don't have the nostalgia for the series other folks do. They are having a pretty good time with it. It's a great game period, not just a great Sonic game.

Guess Who

Banned

It's basically a more polished classic Sonic game. It kind of depends on what you didn't enjoy about the original games as to how much you'd like this one.

Donuts

I know quite a few people who don't have the nostalgia for the series other folks do. They are having a pretty good time with it. It's a great game period, not just a great Sonic game.

It's basically a more polished classic Sonic game. It kind of depends on what you didn't enjoy about the original games as to how much you'd like this one.

That's so great to see. I'll give it another week before I bite. Thanks!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'd forgotten how bad I was at Sonic games. Can't beat Flying Battery Zone Act 1. Gonna keep trying later.

The game is fantastic, but I feel I'm getting crushed by obstacles and platforms more often than in the old games.

ok so four goddamn blue sphere stages left before I take a break from them for the next 24 years.

the one where you turn left a bunch

the one that looks like it's set at dusk where you have to do some backwards jumps with the bumpers

then two similar ones where there's a bunch where you have to go in squares and then take an orange to the next lot. I can probably manage the first two but i'm too lazy to figure the other two. Is there a good video showing how to do them yet?

I'll search for one ofc but if someone has one to hand that'd be cool.

MrBadger

Mirage Saloon Act 1 woulda been better if there was a bigger balance between Tornado parts and train parts. And if the Drop Dash didn't send you off the side of the Tornado. It's so ingrained in my mind to drop dash after jumping now

Mirage Saloon Act 1 woulda been better if there was a bigger balance between Tornado parts and train parts. And if the Drop Dash didn't send you off the side of the Tornado. It's so ingrained in my mind to drop dash after jumping now

The train was cool. They should have just done that. I don't really like skychase. If that section was shorter it would be ok.

Top Bottom