• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

batfax

Okay, made my first clear (with all Emeralds!) and that was hands down the best time I've had playing with Sonic in ages. It was amazing how many times they could take "predictable" classic levels and put in whole new mechanics. Oil Ocean in particular's fire stuff was just great. In fact, if they do another one like this, I totally take back any pre-release gripes about not enough original levels. The new gimmicks, designs, remixes, and so on were great. I really want to see some underappreciated levels revisited like this. Sunset Park for Mania 2!

Only real gripe with the game overall is after I got all the emeralds I really wished I could... de-Super or something? Sometimes I would tap A in the air and not mean to and whoops, guess this level's a Super one now.

Man, this spider boss is making me nuts.
I know I need to hit him into the spikes but most hits barely budge him (and sometimes I jump through him). Ive actually run out of time multiple timed, I must be doing something wrong. Help

You have to let him get high enough that he can start shooting. If you hit him while he's too low he won't make it to the spikes.

Finished my Knuckles run, titanic monarch was cooler the second time around and I found out the electric shield lets you ride the tesla things, WEEEEEEEEE!

Curiosity has a hold of me so I quickly jumped back to 3&Knuckles in PAL region 50hz as the lord of EU intended, very quickly I appreciated how smooth Mania looks and feels in comparison. It's still too soon to call (hence my return to 3&Knuckles, though I feel like I should try that Sonic 3 complete thing instead) but I'm thinking that Mania may actually be the best.

It's still too soon to call (hence my return to 3&Knuckles, though I feel like I should try that Sonic 3 complete thing instead) but I'm thinking that Mania may actually be the best.

It's still too soon to call (hence my return to 3&Knuckles, though I feel like I should try that Sonic 3 complete thing instead) but I'm thinking that Mania may actually be the best.

but I'm thinking that Mania may actually be the best.

Mania may actually be the best.

Mania the best.

HZHcw5I.gif

enjoy carnival night

SkylineRKR

Yeah i'd rather see an update that places Super transform on Triangle. Thats like the one thing Sonic 4 did better.

You have to let him get high enough that he can start shooting. If you hit him while he's too low he won't make it to the spikes.

That, and only aim for the star. He's a fun boss and really not hard. With some timing you can get 2 hits in, just wait a bit for the second assault..

Guess Who

Banned
I still haven't mastered drop dashing. I only do it accidentally. :( Hold A when you jump right? Tips?

It's hold A when you jump, but it's not just holding it from the moment you start the jump - you have to press/hold A to jump, release, then start holding it again. It has a bit of a wind-up too, so it doesn't work on really short jumps.

It's best used for picking up speed after a long or high jump.

SkylineRKR

I still haven't mastered drop dashing. I only do it accidentally. :( Hold A when you jump right? Tips?

Jump, then press jump again and hold it. Its neat if you happen to land just in front of an enemy instead of on top of it. Though it can kill you also if you do it recklessly.

Mania the best.

HZHcw5I.gif

enjoy carnival night

Mania is...
tumblr_ofptqcWX9L1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

---
I got like 5 minutes into marble garden 1, had 200 plus rings, went through a spinning top smashable wall but jumped off it prematurely leading me sort of trapped in this area where I was supposed to smash another wall that I couldn't get through.
I jumped on a spring that sent me straight into an enemy spilling all my rings and I couldn't seem to get out so I dove into some spikes.

And then found out I had somehow not touched a checkpoint, starting from the beginning where Sonic inexplicably glitched into the sloping scenery just to cement the silly...that's enough Sonic 3 for today.
Mania gained more ground here.

Daffy Duck

Fuck me these levels are huge.

Died twice in a boss fight due to time limits.

Also some of the boss fights are hard, just got to hydrocity boss 2 and the previous sonic boss fight was redonculous.

Shaneus

Also some of the boss fights are hard, just got to hydrocity boss 2 and the previous sonic boss fight was redonculous.
First world problems, but same here. Except it's been more than twice and not just during boss fights. It's pretty crazy.

Aki-at

I got like 5 minutes into marble garden 1, had 200 plus rings, went through a spinning top smashable wall but jumped off it prematurely leading me sort of trapped in this area where I was supposed to smash another wall that I couldn't get through.
I jumped on a spring that sent me straight into an enemy spilling all my rings and I couldn't seem to get out so I dove into some spikes.

And then found out I had somehow not touched a checkpoint, starting from the beginning where Sonic inexplicably glitched into the sloping scenery just to cement the silly...that's enough Sonic 3 for today.
Mania gained more ground here.

Are you playing it on the Genesis? That's one hell of a glitch and I rarely come across them other then a few in Ice Cap Zone.

First world problems, but same here. Except it's been more than twice and not just during boss fights. It's pretty crazy.
Hello my fellow methodical Sonic players.

I've had more time overs in this game than in any other classic Sonic game combined I think, and I've played Sonic 2 and 3&K a lot in my life. (I feel like almost all of them were Carnival Night zone) It doesn't bug me too much, lives are cheap in this game.

I've also had some 9:50 clears, which is pretty sweet when you notice the time bonus...

SkylineRKR

This is the only Sonic where I had time over deaths that weren't on purpose. Also most of the deaths come from the environment. But this has always been the case with Sonic, you usually survive an enemy hit and you can usually grab at least 1 ring back.

Beat the final boss with all emeralds.

The ending is still underwhelming...>.>

Yeah. Even a straight S3K Doomsday Zone rip off would've been better.

Finalow

it's finally time for me to pick up and play this game. just to make sure, the only physical edition is the limited one? Which is a bit too big and pricey for my tastes.

if that's the case then I suppose I'll go digital.

Guess Who

Banned
it's finally time for me to pick up and play this game. just to make sure, the only physical edition is the limited one? Which is a bit too big and pricey for my tastes.

if that's the case then I suppose I'll go digital.

Even the limited edition of the game is a digital copy - it’s just a card with a download code, no disc or cartridge.

Are you playing it on the Genesis? That's one hell of a glitch and I rarely come across them other then a few in Ice Cap Zone.

Wii Virtual console emulated mega drive, I've had a few oddities in the past with this version such as crush deaths from nothing during the final boss of Death Egg, must be something about this version.

goldenpp72

So another bug I managed to take a pic of. Very circumstantial but also a guaranteed bug. I hit the sign post and was to the left of the box, didn't break it, the game had a 'scene' to make me go right, and well, got stuck doing this forever.

DHonkosU0AAKO1d.jpg:large

Neiteio

I had a bug earlier at the end of Press Garden Act 2 where Heavy Shinobi hit me with his sword, encasing me in ice, and knocked me out of the boss arena and onto the next screen where the animal capsule was located. I then hit the switch and freed the animals while Heavy Shinobi just watched, lol.

Guess Who

Banned
Do I get to choose to play with Knuckles at some point later?? When I start it's only just sonic and Tails

On the "Mania Mode" screen, press up/down over empty save slots (or no save mode) to change characters. You can't change characters on an existing save, though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Do I get to choose to play with Knuckles at some point later?? When I start it's only just sonic and Tails
Push up or down on a new file, you can choose between Sonic & Tails, just Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles.

Can't swap characters on an existing safe file, though

The Hermit

I found a similar glitch in Mania with Knuckles in The desert act 1 ( got stuck in the wall), could spindash, but couldn't leave the wall Sprite)

Instead of being mad I actually felt nostalgic lol

Aki-at

Wii Virtual console emulated mega drive, I've had a few oddities in the past with this version such as crush deaths from nothing during the final boss of Death Egg, must be something about this version.

Sounds like a bad port because I cannot recall ever coming across glitches like random deaths. We'll we can only hope the team goes to porting Sonic 3 & Knuckles at some point!

So another bug I managed to take a pic of. Very circumstantial but also a guaranteed bug. I hit the sign post and was to the left of the box, didn't break it, the game had a 'scene' to make me go right, and well, got stuck doing this forever.

I'm sorry but I couldn't help but laugh out loudly at your misfortune haha.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I have that. Can it be done through
Debug Mode, then?
Turn Debug Mode on, back out, highlight "No Save", then hold Square, X, & Options if PS4, X, Y, & Start if X1, or on the Switch, just hold B & Y on the "Press Start" screen.

Do you guys think time overs should be abandoned?
I think if the levels for Mania 2 (or whatever) are as big as Mania's are, the limit should be bumped up.

I don't think I'd be in favor of abandoning the concept altogether, it does serve as a 'hurry it on up already' flag. Maybe 15:00 though?

e: alternatively, keep it at 10:00 and do 3 acts everywhere to achieve the same length

It's entirely possible to casually beat every stage in the game with 3+ minutes to spare.

Wasn't implying they weren't. Nor have I ever experienced a time over that it became a detriment to my enjoyment of a sonic game. I've just been thinking about it, seeing other (small amount of) folks experiencing it. Classic sonic isn't something like a metroidvania, but with a higher emphasis on playing with the physics, exploring these types of big level and the penality for it being hardly anything, I don't know if there's any need for time overs.

No. The time limit forces the developers to keep the stages to a reasonable length.

Do they really need that? The counting timer wouldn't go away and we have ample examples of what makes a good and bad length for an Act.

Aki-at

Do you guys think time overs should be abandoned?

It's certainly contradictory to the developer's intention of having an explorable level full of secrets and alternate routes if they do not give the play the opportunity to tread slowly at finding everything within a level so I am all for abandoning it depending on their intention.

However if they want to go back to tighter more focused levels then I'd certainly feel more than welcomed to re-introduce the concept.

Sounds like a bad port because I cannot recall ever coming across glitches like random deaths. We'll we can only hope the team goes to porting Sonic 3 & Knuckles at some point!

Hey now, it's a sorta advertised feature!

tumblr_inline_o1rdrqWHPb1r8z4qq_400.png

Worth mentioning that I did get flung safely out of the ground/scenery in Marble Garden so no harm done, it was just jarring.

Top Bottom