• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

marmoka

Banned
I already finished the game with Sonic & Tails. Only got a chaos emerald.

Even if the game has many classic levels renewed, I found it very enjoyable.

Exploring stages, looking for special rings, and memorizing special stages makes me feel like a teenagers again.

Congrats Sega. This game was awesome. Great work.

Daffy Duck

Damn...

Just got to flying battery zone 2 and the bit on the bottom of the plane with the electric wires and things kicked my ass.

Teknoman

How do you do the drop dash anyway / is it ever mentioned in the game or manual?

Also when are those vinyls shipping? I need my soundtrack!

Pachael

Drop dash is great and I've been doing that from a slow jump (eg. after bopping a badnik)

Either way finished the Sonic route, now for the emeralds. For now I'll slot it below S&K but above S2/3; the zones looked shuffled or added last minute which would explain the lack of transitions near the end. In fact, many of the remixed levels are earlier in their original games which made the final ones lack escalation, but that's a minor quibble.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat it. Had a glitch in the final boss where I had to restart. 😐

Overall a very fun game. Loved the music. My biggest complaints are the checkpoint bonus levels being way too long and the existence of Oil Ocean.

13ruce

Banned
I really can't wait to see how this game did in sales. Would hitting 1 million be idered and success for this title?

With all platforms combined i am hoping for 2m lifetime. That would mean it would outsold even some of the 3D games.

But yeah 1m should be easily possible imo and a very great succes for a 2D pixel game in our age.

Guess Who

Banned
Really hope Sega releases this on iOS/Android at some point. I played the hell out of 1/2/CD’s mobile ports and I would love to be able to have it in my pocket.

My hope is they’re holding off on a mobile release for a few months because it’ll be cheaper (mobile gamers won’t pay $20 for this - I expect like, $5) and they don’t want it to compete with the console versions.

13ruce

Banned
Really hope Sega releases this on iOS/Android at some point. I played the hell out of 1/2/CD’s mobile ports and I would love to be able to have it in my pocket.

My hope is they’re holding off on a mobile release for a few months because it’ll be cheaper (mobile gamers won’t pay $20 for this - I expect like, $5) and they don’t want it to compete with the console versions.

I think they will port it to mobile later for sure and reduce the console price too abit. Your mobile price sounds about right console price probably will be slashed by 10 (9,99) then or so or to 11,99-12,99.

J@hranimo

Banned
God, Mirage Saloon Act 1 music for Knuckles is my favorite song in the game today. That Sax and Harmonica are everything right now.

I really don't get the hate for Oil Ocean.

Then again, I think it's the best zone in Sonic 2. I loved digging around and discovering all of the alternate routes.

Anyway, activating super mode really should have been its own separate button. While playing as Knuckles, there's a point near the end of Lava Reef where he has to climb up a wall, then glide to another wall to continue the climb. If he has 50+ rings and hasn't already become super, then he's SOL. There's a bottom-less pit in this particular area, so he'll transform and then fall to his death as soon as he tries to glide.

J@hranimo

Banned
I really don't get the hate for Oil Ocean.

Then again, I think it's the best zone in Sonic 2. I loved digging around and discovering all of the alternate routes.

Anyway, activating super mode really should have been its own separate button. While playing as Knuckles, there's a point near the end of Lava Reef where he has to climb up a wall, then glide to another wall to continue the climb. If he has 50+ rings and hasn't already become super, then he's SOL. There's a bottom-less pit in this particular area, so he'll transform and then fall to his death as soon as he tries to glide.

Oil Ocean isn't bad, it just got too samey with its level design and was easy to lose your way and fall all the way down. It's theme and music are pretty cool and interesting, and it's good it came back in Mania because it's level design here is improved.

And yeah I can definitely relate to the the super button thing. That exact thing happened to me with Knuckles.

Aki-at

I'd love a mobile port since play Sonic 1 and 2 on my phone all the time but I hope a physical version comes out before that!

I really can't wait to see how this game did in sales. Would hitting 1 million be idered and success for this title?

Sonic 4 Episode 1 was considered a success after managing 1 million in sales, so yes it definitely would! I'm guessing it'll do about 1.5 million in sales for the first fiscal year, long term I'm not too sure, Sonic games sometimes have ridiculously long legs, Sonic Generations for example was still in the British UK top 100 sellers even in 2014 so anything is possible.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'd love a mobile port since play Sonic 1 and 2 on my phone all the time but I hope a physical version comes out before that!

Sonic 4 Episode 1 was considered a success after managing 1 million in sales, so yes it definitely would! I'm guessing it'll do about 1.5 million in sales for the first fiscal year, long term I'm not too sure, Sonic games sometimes have ridiculously long legs, Sonic Generations for example was still in the British UK top 100 sellers even in 2014 so anything is possible.
If there was a physical version I'd have no doubt about the game doing gangbusters. But without that retail exposure I fear it won't do as well as it could.

Finalizer

I don't understand how Sega can look at the hype, excitement, good vibes etc surrounding Mania and not do a physical release. Seems preposterous.

Unless they're planning to put in the Taxman ports of other Sonic games and charge extra for a Retro Sonic compilation, which I could see working out pretty well I guess.

Nohar

I have an issue with the bonus stages' frequency. I'm getting the impression that I am spending more time in them than actually playing the game.

Aki-at

If there was a physical version I'd have no doubt about the game doing gangbusters. But without that retail exposure I fear it won't do as well as it could.

When we have games like Shovel Knight doing over a million I'm not worried about Sonic's chances. Yeah it might have sold more but I don't think the lose of physical sales would be detriment to overall sales.

I don't understand how Sega can look at the hype, excitement, good vibes etc surrounding Mania and not do a physical release. Seems preposterous.

Unless they're planning to put in the Taxman ports of other Sonic games and charge extra for a Retro Sonic compilation, which I could see working out pretty well I guess.

I'm guessing they firstly didn't want to eat into Sonic Forces potential sales and the second is I'd have to guess they're saving it for a collection of Sonic ports like you said so they could charge the full $60 on it just as the digital price starts to go down.

Just got the final Chaos Emerald with Knuckles, and... I'm really disappointed that
his Super form feels like a downgrade, at least for playing the game? Now I can't glide if I have 50 rings, and if I do turn Super I go faster than I'm really comfortable with and, worse, can't listen to the Zone's music anymore. I wish they had made it so that the Super forms were activated in a different way than doing the aerial action, like maybe pressing the button a third time during the action or pressing two buttons at once or something.

Gartooth

So I have now finished playthroughs with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. Now my objective is to get all the emeralds and see the true ending. I've been taking my time with it though since I want to discover as many secrets in the levels rather than just farming GHZ for chaos emeralds.

I have to say the level design in this game keeps blowing my fucking mind even though I have played the levels numerous times. I found out that in Press Garden you can
burn the damaged boxes if you have the flame shield
and in Titanic Monarch you can
ride the tuning forks if you have the lightning shield.

Like this is one of the most replayable platformers ever with the way the gameplay can vary depending on your character and powerup. This is Tropical Freeze territory for how impressed I am by the variety and craft of the levels.

ryan13ts

So when I was doing my second part of Knuckles playthrough yesterday, I got a tad bummed out because even with elemental shields
you activate Super Knuckles by jumping twice.
So you can't really glide without doing that.

Really wish they added a toggle like the Sonic 3 Complete romhack. I couldn't enjoy Mirage Saloon Act 1 music to its fullest!

That's the one and only thing where I'll give Sonic 4 credit at; It made the Super transformation a separate button other than hitting jump again in the air. That way you don't trigger a transformation when you don't want to and can save it for when it's needed. I wish they had used a system similar to that, especially for Knuckles and Tail, whose abilities are activated by the same button as Super transformations.

... I can't believe I gave Sonic 4 a complement for something. I must be feeling delirious or something...

Chao

I'm playing the Switch version, and my game has a strange bug -or not-:

The unlockable extras you can activate in the "no save" file like
&knuckles mode
and
debug mode
won't work when set to YES... but they'll work when set to NO. Meanwhile, if I set the
sonic cd or sonic 3 special move
to the one I want, that's what I'll get. So it's only the YES/NO options the ones that are not working as expected.

Maybe I'm dumb, but if I see a YES next to an option, I assume this means it's activated, but it's when it says NO that works.

What the hell? Is it the same for you guys?

Comfortable as hell. And this is coming from someone who was against the lack of Dpad. Joycon buttons are great.

Pro controller is also great by the way.

Yes, but... at the same time, level design will always be the chief consideration in the quality of the game. And I think Mania definitely has some of the most thrilling levels in the series.

Yeah, i agree.

although, quite frankly, i dont give two shits about the supermarket flipbook quality story in a sonic game. im in it for the fuck-awesome music, awesome pixel art, and crazy level design.

0jAw7de.gif

robotrock

Banned
Is it ever going to be possible to get a full soundtrack release for this? Just checked the Data-Discs vinyl and it's missing so many tracks.

Aki-at

How are you supposed to beat the Oil Ocean boss with Knuckles? I have never had so many game overs.

I take it you mean when you fall into the oil? Knuckles can JUST about manage making it back on top of a platform but you need to be at the very top of the oil.

Finalizer

I take it you mean when you fall into the oil? Knuckles can JUST about manage making it back on top of a platform but you need to be at the very top of the oil.

I found it helpful to glide into the sides of the platforms, which he should be able to latch on to. But yeah, you'll need to be timing your jumps carefully.

Top Bottom