• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

FinalAres

Okay on the final level / boss. I'm not good at Sonic so this might take a while, but can safely say this is my favourite Sonic game. Although I only played 1 and 2 and some of the 3d ones.

Mr Swine

Banned
Phew, completed the game as Sonic with Tails. The game is so good that I'm considering it to be as good as Sonic 3, S3&K is still the best one imho.

Well there are some minor things I don't like with the game

1. Boss Battles

There are a few that aren't as good as the others in the game.

Egg Spider
Metal Sonic fight
True Last Boss

Otherwise the others are pretty good and fun but I wish we got a traditional fight with
Heavy King
, seems like something is off not seeing him other than the intro

2. Music

A few tunes that I honestly don't like as much as the rest of the game

True Last Boss Battle
Act 2 Boss Battle

And then there are the bugs which will hopefully be ironed out.

Oh and I like that
Phantom Ruby has a connection with Infinite in Forces (same sound effect when he attacks as Phantom Ruby has when it teleports Sonic and the HBH away. Oh and the obvious pose Sonic does and the one in Forces.

I suspect that Phantom Ruby with the power of the Chaos Emeralds gets teleported to the future with Sonic.What I don't get is if Mania is canon why the heck does Eggman say that Sonic is from another dimension? Doesn't he mean from the past?

Okay, it's a week on. The 'honeymoon' period is over so I can more accurately sum up my thoughts.

I've been a Sonic fan since my younger years with a Megadrive, the Sonic 2 hardware bundle was what got me into the series and 16-bit gaming as a whole. I loved it. In comparison to Sonic 2, seeing my friends playing Super Mario World on their SNES consoles made me sure I'd made the correct choice. I had a blazing fast, colourful, truly revolutionary game in my hands (in time I would grow to appreciate SMW to an extent, but it never felt more than an inferior duplicate of the amazing SMB3 formula to me). The controls, I think, are what sold me on it. The way Sonic could roll to gain speed, the way you were rewarded with more secrets and power ups for taking advantage of the speed a good player could build. Sonic 3 and Knuckles in time would just cement Sonic as the game of choice for a quick pick-up-and-play during this era. I came to Sonic 1 a bit late, and being a PAL gamer with our horrifically slow version of the game I never really had any affection for the original game, it has to be mentioned.

Anyway, like many of you I think I spent the next two decades hoping, just hoping, for another Sonic game like the ones I grew to love as a youngster. The 3D ones tried lots of things to various levels of success, the GBA games were fair attempts at the classic formula whilst not quite capturing the feel of the originals. But in more recent years I'd almost given up hope.

After playing the Christian Whitehead ports of Sonic 1/2/CD on mobile, I felt even then that this was the only team that seemed to understand what made Sonic great in the first place. You can probably dig through my post history for the last five years and find me repeatedly wishing for an original Sonic game from the team that ported these older titles to mobile.

Fast forward to now, sitting here with Sonic Mania in my hands on the newest Nintendo hardware. I wonder what my twelve year old self would think to that. I've played it through, obtained the Chaos Emeralds, poured hours into it. And I really, really like it. In many ways, I do believe it is the best game in the 'classic' series. It's got tons of awesome secrets, the level designs are mostly top-notch and the music is masterful. The intro sequence is wonderful. The bosses, with a few exceptions, surprise and delight a returning Sega fan with nods and remixes of what has come before alongside all-new concepts.

I could sing the praises of the game for days. But now that my 'nostalgia goggles' have faded a little, I feel I can place a little criticism on it in a few key areas...

It's glitchy. Yeah, it's a Sonic game, you expect glitches. It's part of the charm. But when glitches lead to instant death, or being forced to restart the stage/game entirely, that's problematic. I can look past the smaller ones I've experienced such as the jump sound being replaced by the ring collection sound. Or the stage music cutting out with the "level complete" theme halfway through an Act leaving me playing in near silence. What gets me is the ones that really should have been prevented, such as the boost pad in Chem Plant 1 which has probably a 50% chance of boosting you into a squish death in the area with the rising water and spinning block 'steps'. Or when Knuckles is climbing a wall, climbs into the wall and gets stuck underneath a red spring and can't move at all. And in Press Garden 2 in multiplayer, my Sonic ended up in a room he just couldn't escape from in any way. I hope these bigger issues can be fixed.

The Stages. For the most part, I think the stages both new and returning are well chosen and well designed. However, I do feel there was a little too much focus on returning zones. Whilst most of them are pretty uniquely re-imagined a few of the later returning zones don't do a whole lot new and feel almost like an afterthought to pad out the experience. I do hope the next Sonic game from this team can let them really push their imaginations since when the new zones hit their highs, they're truly awesome. Studiopolis is something they should be rightly proud of.

Blue Spheres. I don't mind that these returned, but I don't think they should have been the checkpoint bonus game. They take a little too long to play and don't really benefit the player in-game at all so there's little incentive to actually go into them. I would have preferred Blue Sphere remain an Extra mode, and the star posts take you to something quick like the gumball machine where you can get shields, rings, lives etc. Particularly late game this would have made certain zones a little easier to get through.

In fact, I think those are the only major problems I have with the game. Everything else, I really loved. Maybe you could say the ending needed a bit more length. Or there's a few missing zone transitions. Or the story isn't so clear. But I don't think most of us play Sonic for the story, so I focussed on the gameplay elements. For me, at least, the story is merely an excuse to run through loops and collect rings. But I suspect what is here might become clearer when Sonic Forces comes out.

I hope this doesn't sound negative, because Mania is definitely currently up there with Breath of the Wild in my top games of the year and I can't see it dropping out of there. I'm sure I'll come back to play it in a decade or two just as I do with the Megadrive originals. And I just can't wait to see more of this. Mania 2, please. Just with a 70/30% balance of new/old rather than the other way around :)

KeRaSh

Damnit! I thought restarting a level would also unlock the big ring to get the Chaos Emerald again after failing the first time. Turns out the ring stays deactivated...

Also, I though those big rings only appeared in the second act of a level. Now I found one in the first act, beat it and thought I ran past a second big ring? Did I imagine this or what's up with that?

Ferr986

Honestly, the more I play the more I like it. It's something when the worst stages are the ones that are less edited (and those comes from S3K). The level design is so on point (last level is the only one thats a little clunky).

TheOGB

Banned
Damnit! I thought restarting a level would also unlock the big ring to get the Chaos Emerald again after failing the first time. Turns out the ring stays deactivated...

Also, I though those big rings only appeared in the second act of a level. Now I found one in the first act, beat it and thought I ran past a second big ring? Did I imagine this or what's up with that?
There are multiple special rings hidden in every level. It's possible to have all 7 Chaos Emeralds by Zone 3 (or even Zone 2 Act 2, I hear). Do some exploring, you'll be surprised at what you find.

And I believe special rings you've used stay deactivated if you restart a level, but come back if you exit THEN return.

MrBadger

There are multiple special rings hidden in every level. It's possible to have all 7 Chaos Emeralds by Zone 3 (or even Zone 2 Act 2, I hear). Do some exploring, you'll be surprised at what you find.

And I believe special rings you've used stay deactivated if you restart a level, but come back if you exit THEN return.

They don't. However, they will be reactivated after you finish the game and access them via level select

Exodust

Banned
Quick question: Is there a way for me to still drop dash and not turn into Super Sonic?

Cause if not then this would be the only real issue I have with the game. Very minor, but annoying when you go super when you don't mean to.

RockmanBN

Quick question: Is there a way for me to still drop dash and not turn into Super Sonic?

Cause if not then this would be the only real issue I have with the game. Very minor, but annoying when you go super when you don't mean to.

Nope. Sucks for Knuckles more as there are many points where he's required to climb. So either you purposefully hurt yourself to not transform or transform for the Xth amount hearing that theme over and over again.

Earliest you can get all 7 is by Zone 2 Act 1. You can get 2 Rings in Green Hill Act 1 (3 if you glitch into Knuckles path or are Knuckles), 3 Rings in Green Hill Act 2, and your final ring in Chemical Plant Act 1.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So, just curious, how are you supposed to win these? i mean a win is a win, but there's got to be a cleaner way than "Hit them, get hit, grab rings back, repeat." for most.

CPZ2: A single 5-chain will usually OHKO him, although it can be hard to finish building it before he dumps some trash on your field. It is not a colorblind-friendly task.

SSZ2: When he starts charging up the homing attack, pay attention to what angle he's attacking from. If he's charging into you directly from in front of you, for example, then just jump over him. If he's coming from above, don't jump; just keep running forward. It can be a more awkward task if he happens to attack you while you're dealing with the track's geometry at the same time. For the final phase, stay in front and roll into him so that you bounce forward, but try to do this right after he finishes an attack since the timing of his next attack isn't always predictable.

OOZ2: Take your time and don't panic. Most of his attacks are easy to dodge if that's all you're focused on, so do that until you can destroy his two arms. He's an open target after that. Knuckles has a harder time; if you don't jump back on the platforms as they're rising then it's tougher to get back on top. He might be able to climb the ledges; can't remember.

LRZ2: When she's swinging the chain, it's just a matter of timing your jump through the opening. If that's too hard, try to wait for her to do her fast charge forward and just take a clear shot then.

TMZ1: Knuckles can barely get enough height to safely bounce out of range after a hit.

Finalizer

Dunno if this works on other versions, but on the Switch, if you go to the home screen and exit the application before the special stage ends, the big ring will remain accessible when you get back to it in the zone. Not terribly useful unless you're absolutely determined to have all the emeralds before you clear the game on that save since it's easier to just grind GHZ on a clear file.

The number of big rings is random per zone & act. Just depends on how many the level designers decided to put into each act.

Finally had time to beat the game and I loved it. Final zone was amazing. Easily the best Sonic since CD for me. Better than 3&K, as well as 2. Amazing level design all around. I'm still partial to the levels, music and aesthetics of CD (US) but Mania easily goes toe-to-toe with that one.

I'm also so happy they included two CD zones. Easily the best of the remixes.

I was obsessively playing the damn Blue Sphere games for a good hour last night trying to get all the medals I could. Think I'm at 12 now.

muteki

Otherwise the others are pretty good and fun but I wish we got a traditional fight with
Heavy King
, seems like something is off not seeing him other than the intro.

I have to think that they had other plans for him at some point, and had to cut them short.

Ending is pretty lackluster to me because of this.

Aki-at

To reactivate them you have to exit back into the title screen and then reload the save. Not sure if that'll get patched out or not.

Peltz

Okay, it's a week on. The 'honeymoon' period is over so I can more accurately sum up my thoughts.

I've been a Sonic fan since my younger years with a Megadrive, the Sonic 2 hardware bundle was what got me into the series and 16-bit gaming as a whole. I loved it. In comparison to Sonic 2, seeing my friends playing Super Mario World on their SNES consoles made me sure I'd made the correct choice. I had a blazing fast, colourful, truly revolutionary game in my hands (in time I would grow to appreciate SMW to an extent, but it never felt more than an inferior duplicate of the amazing SMB3 formula to me). The controls, I think, are what sold me on it. The way Sonic could roll to gain speed, the way you were rewarded with more secrets and power ups for taking advantage of the speed a good player could build. Sonic 3 and Knuckles in time would just cement Sonic as the game of choice for a quick pick-up-and-play during this era. I came to Sonic 1 a bit late, and being a PAL gamer with our horrifically slow version of the game I never really had any affection for the original game, it has to be mentioned.

Anyway, like many of you I think I spent the next two decades hoping, just hoping, for another Sonic game like the ones I grew to love as a youngster. The 3D ones tried lots of things to various levels of success, the GBA games were fair attempts at the classic formula whilst not quite capturing the feel of the originals. But in more recent years I'd almost given up hope.

After playing the Christian Whitehead ports of Sonic 1/2/CD on mobile, I felt even then that this was the only team that seemed to understand what made Sonic great in the first place. You can probably dig through my post history for the last five years and find me repeatedly wishing for an original Sonic game from the team that ported these older titles to mobile.

Fast forward to now, sitting here with Sonic Mania in my hands on the newest Nintendo hardware. I wonder what my twelve year old self would think to that. I've played it through, obtained the Chaos Emeralds, poured hours into it. And I really, really like it. In many ways, I do believe it is the best game in the 'classic' series. It's got tons of awesome secrets, the level designs are mostly top-notch and the music is masterful. The intro sequence is wonderful. The bosses, with a few exceptions, surprise and delight a returning Sega fan with nods and remixes of what has come before alongside all-new concepts.

I could sing the praises of the game for days. But now that my 'nostalgia goggles' have faded a little, I feel I can place a little criticism on it in a few key areas...

It's glitchy. Yeah, it's a Sonic game, you expect glitches. It's part of the charm. But when glitches lead to instant death, or being forced to restart the stage/game entirely, that's problematic. I can look past the smaller ones I've experienced such as the jump sound being replaced by the ring collection sound. Or the stage music cutting out with the "level complete" theme halfway through an Act leaving me playing in near silence. What gets me is the ones that really should have been prevented, such as the boost pad in Chem Plant 1 which has probably a 50% chance of boosting you into a squish death in the area with the rising water and spinning block 'steps'. Or when Knuckles is climbing a wall, climbs into the wall and gets stuck underneath a red spring and can't move at all. And in Press Garden 2 in multiplayer, my Sonic ended up in a room he just couldn't escape from in any way. I hope these bigger issues can be fixed.

The Stages. For the most part, I think the stages both new and returning are well chosen and well designed. However, I do feel there was a little too much focus on returning zones. Whilst most of them are pretty uniquely re-imagined a few of the later returning zones don't do a whole lot new and feel almost like an afterthought to pad out the experience. I do hope the next Sonic game from this team can let them really push their imaginations since when the new zones hit their highs, they're truly awesome. Studiopolis is something they should be rightly proud of.

Blue Spheres. I don't mind that these returned, but I don't think they should have been the checkpoint bonus game. They take a little too long to play and don't really benefit the player in-game at all so there's little incentive to actually go into them. I would have preferred Blue Sphere remain an Extra mode, and the star posts take you to something quick like the gumball machine where you can get shields, rings, lives etc. Particularly late game this would have made certain zones a little easier to get through.

In fact, I think those are the only major problems I have with the game. Everything else, I really loved. Maybe you could say the ending needed a bit more length. Or there's a few missing zone transitions. Or the story isn't so clear. But I don't think most of us play Sonic for the story, so I focussed on the gameplay elements. For me, at least, the story is merely an excuse to run through loops and collect rings. But I suspect what is here might become clearer when Sonic Forces comes out.

I hope this doesn't sound negative, because Mania is definitely currently up there with Breath of the Wild in my top games of the year and I can't see it dropping out of there. I'm sure I'll come back to play it in a decade or two just as I do with the Megadrive originals. And I just can't wait to see more of this. Mania 2, please. Just with a 70/30% balance of new/old rather than the other way around :)

These are all very fair criticisms of an amazing game.

Finalizer

Heavy King
, seems like something is off not seeing him other than the intro

You do get one in the Knuckles route, but it does feel a bit lackluster that
there's not really any buildup to the Heavy King's betrayal in the true final boss. Maybe something gets referenced in the missing zone transitions?

I suspect your last point is precisely why something like Blue Spheres was reused as the bonus stage though - It feels like the later levels are balanced around certain types of shields being a bit harder to come across (I distinctly recall an electric shield box seemingly taunting from the other side of a wall in
Titanic Monarch
), and having a bonus stage readily accessible that could give players access to oodles of rings, lives, and shields of their choice would break that. I feel like the devs probably chose the checkpoints as the entry for bonus stages more to give players ample opportunity to collect medallions for rewards while keeping them relegated to something that can be safely ignored without much consequence (as opposed to needing 50 rings by the end of an act, where there's only so much opportunity to reliably pull something like that off, at least for most players).

It surprise me that a lot of you guys have problems with some bosses (It probably helps that I get super form at Studiopolis maybe?). I think the game is pretty easy. I'm working in my Tails-only playtrough (Sonic and Knuckles playtrough already beaten) with all emerald and just only 6 silver medals to master.

The game is like crack. Cant wait to play some Time Attack mode. Some veteran Sonic player thinks the same?

Edit: Also, There are some heavy slowdowns in the bonus stage. Playing on Switch btw

muteki

Is it just me or do rings disappear slower after being hit? I remember in the originals after being hit 3 or 4 times by a boss and losing the same ring over and over that eventually it would just disappear shortly or fall through the floor after being hit. Here it seems like it stays on screen the same amount of time regardless of how many times you have been hit.

So I completed the game with:

Sonic & Tails
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles

With all emeralds and all gold blue spheres....great amazing game. I think I can officially put it down for a rest though!

Sega what a missed opportunity to not have your Sonic CD, Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 console ports available to strike while the iron is hot!

liquidtmd

Banned

Great post but this bit - so much this.

It's too much

Really enjoyed it and although it doesn't come close to Sonic 1/2 for me, I would still like to see more from this lad. Last zone was a bit of a bummer, really didn't like the artstyle.

Knuckle's Mirage Saloon music is like the most Sonic 3 piece of music in the entire game.

What's interesting is it also wouldn't even sound out of place as a Knuckles level in a 3D Sonic game.

taybul

The special rings are almost too well hidden. I didn't even know they were in the game until the second zone. I'm spending a lot of time looking for them, running backwards through the level, hugging every wall, etc. but then I inevitably run out of time and die. I love this for the replayability and it kind of brings me back to the Game Gear Sonic games where the emeralds were hidden throughout the levels.

Really enjoyed it and although it doesn't come close to Sonic 1/2 for me, I would still like to see more from this lad. Last zone was a bit of a bummer, really didn't like the artstyle.
You talking about
Titanic Monarch
? That's like one of the absolute best. Amazing music, level design and feels epic af.

Branduil

I have yet to die on the Oil Ocean Zone Ac2 boss after 3 playthroughs. Granted I was in super form with Knuckles and Tails, but...

I think it's much easier when you realize
there's no reason to ever go up on the platforms. Seriously, you can just hang out in the oil the entire time. I used the same strategy to cheese the boss in Sonic 2.

Fuck the spider boss though. That never gets any easier.

I have yet to die on the Oil Ocean Zone Ac2 boss after 3 playthroughs. Granted I was in super form with Knuckles and Tails, but...

there's no reason to ever go up on the platforms. Seriously, you can just hang out in the oil the entire time. I used the same strategy to cheese the boss in Sonic 2.

I didn't have any problem at all beating the Oil Ocean boss with Knux. Like you said, I pretty much just stayed in the oil since he can't jump back onto the platforms anyway.

Hydrocity boss as Knux though is real rough. I don't know how you're supposed to beat him without getting hit, since Knuckles can't jump over him and it's a 50/50 shot which side he's going to come down on.

The spider boss is 'aight.

SkylineRKR

I didn't have any problem at all beating the Oil Ocean boss with Knux. Like you said, I pretty much just stayed in the oil since he can't jump back onto the platforms anyway.

Hydrocity boss as Knux though is real rough. I don't know how you're supposed to beat him without getting hit, since Knuckles can't jump over him and it's a 50/50 shot which side he's going to come down on.

The spider boss is 'aight.

Sonic 3 was better balanced towards Knuckles.

That orb boss late in Mania. He's shit too for Knuckles. You need to time your jump too perfectly. I yolo that guy and grab my rings back.

Guess Who

Banned
Re: the
Puyo
boss in CPZ2. There is actually a way to tell which is which if you're colorblind,
at least as they're coming down (though it's a little more difficult once they're joined). The blue Puyos have a "tail" on the bottom that points right (like a backwards number 9), purple Puyos are tilted to the right (including their eyes), green Puyos are a little flat on the bottom, and red Puyos have a slight point on the left of their head and their eyes tilt to the left. These eye and shape differences are also preserved when they join.

Great post but this bit - so much this.

It's too much

I loved playing them each time I got them...through like the first 4 zones. After that I was just skipping them. If they would've gave lives or continues that would've given me more incentive to play them through the game.

Like during my Knuckles run I didn't so a single one.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

99% of my deaths on the Oil Ocean boss come from cheap insta-kills if you happen to be hovering over the same platform tile when the arms pull the platforms under. Most often I am bouncing off the circular arms and even in mid-air from the bounce(not even close to touching the platform) it counts as death as you watch Sonic just fall off the screen without any chance of landing in the ocean.

If there was any actual control from hitting those arms(like holding the jump button to get some airtime and force yourself away from the platforms) it would be fine. But there isn't. You can't really do anything if attempting to damage those arms I find. It's a death sentence as you are forced back onto the platform area that is being pulled under and the ocean doesn't recover you. It's really the only thing that gets me against this thing and it feels like a glitch given most of the time I am again in mid-air and must helplessly watch Sonic's drowning death animation from the top of the screen. It's awful.

Sticking to the ocean just isn't the way this boss was designed, and outside of that glitch its a pretty cool fight from the platforms with a sound pattern. But again that drowning glitch is just awful. I'll see about making a video next time I try.

I didn't realize until thinking about it just now, but Blue Spheres in this doesn't bring Tails along like it did in 3. I feel like that was the smart decision as Tails being there is nothing more than a distraction.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I've never been interested in hearing about the sales of a game, but here I am. When should we find out what the sales numbers look like?

JacoTheDex

Neo Member
I have to say, the way the final level and boss was set up is making me wonder if
you were originally supposed to fight a Heavy at the end of each of the four paths before you fought Eggman. It was really weird seeing them on the glass in the background yet you only get to fight them for a few seconds during the last fight.

Finalizer

Yes he can, you just glide onto the side of the platform to latch on and climb up.

Does the laser not shoot below the platform in Mania? Coulda sworn that was a thing in Sonic 2 at least.

Knuckles has an extra ring at the start of his Green Hill Zone, so you can get Super Knuckles near the very beginning of Chemical Plant Zone.

GHZ1 has 3 totaly in it (the 3rd is for knuckles, but you can actually reach this area as Sonic and Tails if you are sneaky.
GHZ2 has 3 in it (that I know of).
CPZ1 has 1 right at the very beginning if you take the top path.

At this point I stop seeking them out specifically. I know another in CPZ2 where the blocks fall from the cieling to make a staircase, as well as several others in more obviously locations. PGZ1 has one right under the first big cylinder.

This can never be said enough when it comes to Sonic:

Fuck you Sega

Uh, this isn't a Sega thing. Sales numbers are kind of a trade secret. Steam, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo as platform holders do not release this information to anyone publicly, and almost no one chooses to share unless something sells absolutely gangbusters and it becomes part of marketing (and even then, it's usually pretty vague). And that's just digital; plenty of outfits purport to have physical "numbers" but these tend to not be very accurate.

You can sort of guesstimate a minimum number of content owners by counting ratings or reverse engineering trophy percentages, but this is highly inaccurate as not everyone who purchases content leaves a rating or plays online.

muteki

I have to say, the way the final level and boss was set up is making me wonder if
you were originally supposed to fight a Heavy at the end of each of the four paths before you fought Eggman. It was really weird seeing them on the glass in the background yet you only get to fight them for a few seconds during the last fight.

Everything about the final level + bosses seems a bit rushed/unfinished.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
prediction:

sonic mania 2 will be 50% new and 50% old (12 levels total) with lock-on technology
I would be okay with this or 4 old, 8 new to reverse what we got.

I really hope that they go with Palmtree Panic or Angel Island Zone because man, I'm kind of getting tired of Green Hill always being the "first stage" representative, even if Generations used first stages from other Sonic games.

I really hope we get either all new stages for Mania 2, or if the classic stages are obscure and/or heavily remixed (on the level of Mania's SSZ Act 1 and most of the classic Act 2s, but for both acts of the zone). Stuff like Sunset Park or a Chaotix level (Newtrogic High Zone loosely based on Chaotix stuff pls) would be awesome to see. A ton of classic stages didn't make it into Mania, but their gimmicks are pretty well represented, so I'm not sure how much value is in bringing them back anyway.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd actually be okay if Mania 2 kept the 8 old, 4 new stage layuot if we got more obscure stuff like the Game Gear games, Chaotix, or the Sonic Advance titles (gimme a Genesis version of Music Plant from Sonic Advance 2).

Unknown?

So I completed the game with:

Sonic & Tails
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles

With all emeralds and all gold blue spheres....great amazing game. I think I can officially put it down for a rest though!

Sega what a missed opportunity to not have your Sonic CD, Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 console ports available to strike while the iron is hot!
Wow! I wish I had the time to do all of that. I'm on my Knuckles run right now.

Top Bottom