• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Vidiot

How do you retry Chao Emerald stages again? Even game overs don’t let you do them over.

Beat the game. Then you can just select any level with the closest giant ring, beat it, collect emerald, quit out of level, and repeat until you have all seven. The game saves after you get the emerald so you can quit out right after returning to the stage.

MechaX

Got the normal ending.

Yep, this game got me into my nostalgia feels. I even turned the game to have scan likes like an old CRTV.

The only slight I have against the game is that it had to include one of my most hated levels in Sonic CD next to Wacky Workbench (specifically, 2nd to last level in the game).

Finalizer

The only slight I have against the game is that it had to include one of my most hated levels in Sonic CD next to Wacky Workbench (specifically, 2nd to last level in the game).

Metallic Madness
is fun as hell though. I think I like it more than Stardust Speedway even. And lawd that music, 'specially the second act.

Also, just how fucking huge is Flying Battery Act 2 anyway? I've played through it a few times, and since have watched some other folks' playthroughs, and it seems like every time I see some totally new pathway I had no idea existed. It's just nuts.

Also, just how fucking huge is Flying Battery Act 2 anyway? I've played through it a few times, and since have watched some other folks' playthroughs, and it seems like every time I see some totally new pathway I had no idea existed. It's just nuts.

Insanely huge. I didn't see
the pilots
until like my fourth playthrough.

Huh. Finally found a bug. I hit 100000 points in Press Garden 2 and after the extra life chimed all music stopped playing. There's still the noises from jumping and enemies but it's kinda creepy lol.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I can't wait to see a stitched together view of TMZ Act 1 soon - that level's intricacies are just insane.

That said, anybody able to explain in detail what the "theme" of TMZ is? Spoilers would probably be appropriate... I just don't really understand its name and I'm sure it's super obvious...

I can't wait to see a stitched together view of TMZ Act 1 soon - that level's intricacies are just insane.

That said, anybody able to explain in detail what the "theme" of TMZ is? Spoilers would probably be appropriate... I just don't really understand its name and I'm sure it's super obvious...
It's a giant robot. If you look closely you can see it in the BG of act 1, and act 2 takes place inside of it.

Neiteio

Construction site for Eggman's new doomsday weapon, Titanic Monarch, which you can see in the background as you ascend. It's on Little Planet, a world chained to Sonic's world. Little Planet is also home to Eggman's base, Metallic Madness, as well as Stardust Speedway.

Huh. Finally found a bug. I hit 100000 points in Press Garden 2 and after the extra life chimed all music stopped playing. There's still the noises from jumping and enemies but it's kinda creepy lol.
I've gotten this bug in both my Tails playthrough and now my Knuckles playthrough. The music comes back when you go into a bonus stage, but it's still really weird. Game definitely needs a bugfix patch.

Atrarock

Anyone else a little miffed by Super Tails? He no longer glows, and they got rid of his flickies!
Well, the super emeralds gave extra features to already game breaking forms (Sonic and Knuckles' screen nuke and infinite air in water).

Tails didn't have anything with the chaos emeralds before, and the super emeralds just made him super as well as adding the flicky army (no infinite air in water). Tails didn't jump that much higher in Sonic 3&k, but he did fly SUPER fast while transformed. This game puts him in league with Super Sonic and actually increases his jump height tremendously, flying super fast, and gives him some after images + sparkles. I'm not that miffed because the chaos emeralds don't always give greater/crazier features....unless it's a dimps game.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Ah! That makes sense! Can't wait to replay it a bit tomorrow then, and I'll keep an eye out for those clues. Thanks!

Neiteio

Completely original

Inspired by mj's music in sonic 3
I'm not sure anyone's as impressed with this song as I am, but I find this astonishing.

Danger on the Dance Floor feels like a classic melody, like something we've cherished and loved forever. And yet it's... new. Some crazy talent goes into making something feel timeless the moment it comes out.

I have a feeling in my bones that Tee Lopes is like the next David Wise or something.

batfax

Blue Spheres...

So hard...

Send Help.

If you're a Switch user my best advice is to take it off the TV. My skills seemed to improve dramatically when the TV wasn't a factor anymore. I never noticed any lag with it before, but when those blue sphere levels get going fast I guess any amount is killer.

Doosi

Banned
I'm not sure anyone's as impressed with this song as I am, but I find this astonishing.

Danger on the Dance Floor feels like a classic melody, like something we've cherished and loved forever. And yet it's... new. Some crazy talent goes into making something feel timeless the moment it comes out.

I have a feeling in my bones that Tee Lopes is like the next David Wise or something.

I echo your sentiments

RagnarokX

The whole level takes place on a giant eggman robot that looks like a giant Heavy King.

Just had a weird bug. Got stuck flying around as a ball right before a boss fight. I can't do anything and the boss can't touch me.

hToRUxA.gif

Funny shit.

This game offers the same addictive quality as Sonic CD imo. Can't stop playing. Though I think I prefer the open-ended bonus stages from CD and hope they come back in Mania 2. I'd even like to see a Mart Kart-style battle mode on those stages.

Jingo

Just finished a boss and suddently i was watching the ending, i was like, thats it? The game is super short, i really liked it but there were too many familiar zones, well, lets go for the emeralds , tails and knuckes playtrough.

Just finished a boss and suddently i was watching the ending, i was like, thats it? The game is super short, i really liked it but there were too many familiar zones, well, lets go for the emeralds , tails and knuckes playtrough.

Games has 12 zones, just like S3&K.

Plus, a lot of the later zones are super long compared to some from earlier games. The only exception might be Mirage Saloon. I don't know if because it technically has 3 different acts that they're shorter because of it, but I always blaze through that place insanely fast.

jotun?

These levels are driving me nuts with how much stuff I'm missing and can't go back to. They feel way more complex/branching/huge than the old games

When can I buy the strategy guide with level maps?

The game makes up for its sudden ending when you have all the emeralds

Just learned about the
buzzing
Easter egg at the end of Studiopolis that references the
Sonic 25th party livestream
. I noticed it, but didn't make the connection. Hilarious.

This game exceeded my expectations on all levels.

Top Bottom