• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

So I completed the game with:

Sonic & Tails
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles

With all emeralds and all gold blue spheres....great amazing game. I think I can officially put it down for a rest though!

Sega what a missed opportunity to not have your Sonic CD, Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 console ports available to strike while the iron is hot!

You need to complete the game with Knuckles &
Knuckles

It lets you play as Knuckles in the final zone and also has a unique ending.

RockmanBN

I'd actually be okay if Mania 2 kept the 8 old, 4 new stage layuot if we got more obscure stuff like the Game Gear games, Chaotix, or the Sonic Advance titles (gimme a Genesis version of Music Plant from Sonic Advance 2).

I'd like official levels from the Sonic 3 multiplayer stages like Endless Mine, Chrome Gadget, or Azure Lake.

FN-2187

So uh...

This might be one of my favorite games of all time.

A Sonic game.

In 2017.

Wow.

It really is amazing. I hoped it would be good, but wasn't expecting much. Granted it has only been out a week, but I can't stop playing it, and I think it might be one of the five best platformers ever made.

I have to say, the way the final level and boss was set up is making me wonder if
you were originally supposed to fight a Heavy at the end of each of the four paths before you fought Eggman. It was really weird seeing them on the glass in the background yet you only get to fight them for a few seconds during the last fight.

Probably cut because that act was long enough as it is.

Exodust

Banned
As I've said earlier, if we get classic stages I'd rather they be heavy reworkings of oddball early Sonic games. A 2D version of a 3D Blast stage, 2D version of a Sonic R stage, Sonic Spinball stage that uses the pinaball here and there, reworked Chaotix stage, game gear and master system games, etc. with more new stages than old.

I feel like Sonic Mania being classic Sonic should stick to pre-Adventure era if there ever to be a Mania 2. Those dudes had 18 years of modern Sonic and Sonic Forces celebrates all that, for better or worse. Therefor Mania should stick to out potbelly Sonic's run.

Vidiot

Using Gamegear levels or any other Sonic that isn't 1, 2, CD, 3, or K wouldn't make much sense. The reuse of Genesis levels was a way to save time and money because of asset reuse. Gamegear levels or any other obscure Sonic game from the past would have to be made from scratch. Might as well go with new zones in that case.

bounchfx

so is it confirmed that Mirage Saloon act 1 is just the worst fucking zone?

while I appreciate the change of pace, not only is it rather slow, but it seems to break constantly. sonic falls off the plane half the time and I don't understand why. sometimes spinning works, sometimes he just goes off the edge. It's driving me nuts and making me not want to play. Any tips?

while I appreciate the change of pace, not only is it rather slow, but it seems to break constantly. sonic falls off the plane half the time and I don't understand why. sometimes spinning works, sometimes he just goes off the edge. It's driving me nuts and making me not want to play. Any tips?

One rev on a spin dash should be safe. I wouldn't advise drop dashing, either.

Kalor

I beat the game earlier and that final zone is way longer than I was expecting it to be. I prefer the zone before it as the gimmicks there were a lot more fun. It ended suddenly after the boss but I still need to get all the emeralds and do the true final boss.

Berordn

Probably cut because that act was long enough as it is.

Makes a lot of sense though. I was wondering why it was possible to damage them, and why you had to be both bad enough at the fight yet good enough to stay alive to see them all.

I didn't even realize Heavy Rider was part of the set until I spent long enough dicking around and landing no hits on him.

13ruce

Banned
You need to complete the game with Knuckles &
Knuckles

It lets you play as Knuckles in the final zone and also has a unique ending.

Enter the secret level select and you can play final zone as Knuckles or Tails directly for Tails that is the only way to play it too even.

Need to have beaten it as Sonic tho on a normal file once.

Neiteio

Hype for the new ARMS fighter has temporarily distracted me from this game, but I still have the itch to play it.

You won't fall off the plane if you're just jumping normally. Just use jumps to dodge and attack enemies, and/or steer around them with the plane. Also, when you reach the boss, just park at the bottom of the screen, toward the middle of the left side; the boss will continually jump over you and you can just jump to safely hit his head each time.

bounchfx

Hype for the new ARMS fighter has temporarily distracted me from this game, but I still have the itch to play it.

You won't fall off the plane if you're just jumping normally. Just use jumps to dodge and attack enemies, and/or steer around them with the plane. Also, when you reach the boss, just park at the bottom of the screen, toward the middle of the left side; the boss will continually jump over you and you can just jump to safely hit his head each time.

Thanks guys! I'll give it another shot. Fell off standing still once and just walking normally once too.. guess it might have been a bug. Just wanna get past this haha.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Finally finished the game with Sonic and Tails, san the 7 Chaos Emerald which I am currently working towards, just have the last two to get.

Honestly while I enjoyed the game and glad to finally to have a good Sonic game on Nintendo system after the mess that occurred during the Wii U and 3DS era, however it just feels a tad to similar to generation and Sonic 4 episode 1 in the sense that Sonic goes through time to replay levels in past games with only 4 news level all of which were good and fun to play and I wanted to see more of that.

I also didn't like how long the final level was as it just caused me to stress out as I had to rush it just so I wouldn't get a time over and the developers knew that Act 2 was so long that they reset the time for the final boss.

I also don't like the drop dash as I found it to be useless outside of speed running and I wished that I could swap it out for the insta-shield attack.

The checkpoint bonus game is fun to play but it's far to long to be a checkpoint mini game, which makes sense since it was never meant to be that and it just feels so disconnected from the game itself as the one in Sonic 3 and Knuckles rewarded the players with shields, 1-ups or rings.

I am not a fan of mid stage-boss as I much prefer having Sonic run to the finish line in act 1 and fight the boss in act 2, plus there were only a few that I liked fighting.

In all I enjoyed Sonic Mania and I will play it again and I can't wait to see how Sonic Mania 2 improve on it.

Plus Mania
tying into Sonic Forces got me super hyped up for Forces.

The Airplane levels have always sucked in Sonic games and I remorse to see the gimmick to return in Mania without it being fun or improve upon with the controls.

Plus a part of me is disappointed that the Train section of the level wasn't longer or was the Act gimmick as I would have liked it if the act was where Sonic had to chase the train, climbed aboard the train then got shot out of the Train and onto the plane and the rest of the act was the the plane with it leading into the boss fight.

Neiteio

Actually, if I'm counting correctly, 19 of the 25 acts are effectively new.

Each of the eight returning zones has at least one new act. SSZ and MMZ appear to have completely remade both acts, so that's 10 new stages. Then you have the four new zones -- that's another eight new acts. Then you have the Knuckles variant of MSZ Act 1, bringing the total to 19 new acts.

Berordn

Actually, if I'm counting correctly, 19 of the 25 acts are effectively new.

Each of the eight returning zones has at least one new act. SSZ and MMZ appear to have completely remade both acts, so that's 10 new stages. Then you have the four new zones -- that's another eight new acts. Then you have the Knuckles variant of MSZ Act 1, bringing the total to 19 new acts.

You'd have to get into fractions as well, as many of the "returning" acts still have all new routes. GHZ1 has a completely new cave section that Knuckles starts in and Sonic/Tails can head into by descending in the lower routes, for instance.

whipihguh

Banned
Hey, I gotta question. I've beaten the game, Chaos Emeralds and all, but I can't seem to use any of the Extras I've unlocked. Everything's still blocked out for whatever reason. Am I doing something wrong or did I encounter some kind of bug?

Hey, I gotta question. I've beaten the game, Chaos Emeralds and all, but I can't seem to use any of the Extras I've unlocked. Everything's still blocked out for whatever reason. Am I doing something wrong or did I encounter some kind of bug?

Extras are unlocked by completing blue sphere levels.

Berordn

Not every extra goes into the extra menu. Most of them are "secret" options on the No Save mode, which you can access by pressing the top face button when hovering over it.

whipihguh

Banned
Extras are unlocked by completing blue sphere levels.
Not every extra goes into the extra menu. Most of them are "secret" options on the No Save mode, which you can access by pressing the top face button when hovering over it.

Oh, okay. That explains a lot. I was wondering where & Knuckles mode was. Must've not done enough blue sphere stages to unlock what's on the Extra menu. Thanks!

FSLink

Banned

They're tied to Blue Sphere medals. If you have a few unlocks, check the NoSave file and press Triangle / X (depending on if you're on PS4 or Switch).

So I beat the game with minimal stuff, and got the Robotnick "try again" screen. I'm assuming there is a better ending? What extras can I unlock?

Also, as someone who never beat the older genesis games, I couldn't tell what levels were remixed and which ones were brand new ones. All the levels felt like they seamlessly belong together.

Guess Who

Banned
So I beat the game with minimal stuff, and got the Robotnick "try again" screen. I'm assuming there is a better ending? What extras can I unlock?

Also, as someone who never beat the older genesis games, I couldn't tell what levels were remixed and which ones were brand new ones. All the levels felt like they seamlessly belong together.

The “try again” ending happens if you don’t get all the Chaos Emeralds by doing special stages. You can sort of “new game+” your clear save file and get them without starting all over. Getting the emeralds unlocks Super forms for all characters, and for Sonic, it unlocks
an extra final boss

There’s also a few unlockable modes you can unlock by doing Blue Spheres stages, like
”Sonic CD” and “Sonic 3” modes for Sonic to use the super peel out or instashield, an “& Knuckles” mode that lets you pair Knuckles with any other character, and more.

I really want to stack the secret moves, and I want to use them for save files. It's not like that would screw up leaderboards or something.

I wonder if modders will mod the modders game.

99% of my deaths on the Oil Ocean boss come from cheap insta-kills if you happen to be hovering over the same platform tile when the arms pull the platforms under. Most often I am bouncing off the circular arms and even in mid-air from the bounce(not even close to touching the platform) it counts as death as you watch Sonic just fall off the screen without any chance of landing in the ocean.

If there was any actual control from hitting those arms(like holding the jump button to get some airtime and force yourself away from the platforms) it would be fine. But there isn't. You can't really do anything if attempting to damage those arms I find. It's a death sentence as you are forced back onto the platform area that is being pulled under and the ocean doesn't recover you. It's really the only thing that gets me against this thing and it feels like a glitch given most of the time I am again in mid-air and must helplessly watch Sonic's drowning death animation from the top of the screen. It's awful.

Sticking to the ocean just isn't the way this boss was designed, and outside of that glitch its a pretty cool fight from the platforms with a sound pattern. But again that drowning glitch is just awful. I'll see about making a video next time I try.
Yeah, that's been the only way I've died to that boss. My solution has been to gtfo of the oil, the instakill rate is too high

It really is amazing. I hoped it would be good, but wasn't expecting much. Granted it has only been out a week, but I can't stop playing it, and I think it might be one of the five best platformers ever made.

Same, I can't put it down. I figured it would probably turn out alright considering Whitehead's pedigree with those ports, but damn... this is a hell of a game.

Opa-Pa

I really wish there was some sort of "cheat mode" where you can play with the extra abilities And being able to save. Hell, leaderboards could simply be deactivated when you used them in normal save files.

I get why you can't use them in normal gameplay, but I rarely feel in the mood to beat a Sonic game in one sitting anymore, let alone the longest one ever.

I really wish there was some sort of "cheat mode" where you can play with the extra abilities And being able to save. Hell, leaderboards could simply be deactivated when you used them in normal save files.

I get why you can't use them in normal gameplay, but I rarely feel in the mood to beat a Sonic game in one sitting anymore, let alone the longest one ever.
With debug mode you can insta-finish any level, and from the secret level select screen you can jump to where you left off.

So, there are workarounds!

Leaderboards aren't even connected to the main game at all. There's no reason to not allow them on normal saves.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So uh...

This might be one of my favorite games of all time.

A Sonic game.

In 2017.

Wow.

I can't put this in my Top Ten if only because it has a relatively limited scope and I can easily see room for improvement in places.

It's not a "flawless" experience like some of my all time favorites like Majora's Mask or Bloodborne (outside hardware limitations).

That said, I would not argue with anyone who said this WAS their favorite game of all time... there's just so much to love. I do believe it's one of the absolute best of this gen.

Just bought this yesterday and I'm satisfied so far. All the positives and negatives I noted from the trailer are all in the game. The physics and level design are superb. The characters animate beautifully. The music is nice, and the presentation is great. It really is a nostalgic ride that plays just as good, if not better than the classic genesis titles.

The only real thing I have a problem with are the reused zones. I've played so many versions of Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant Zone so many times that Im really feeling the fatigue. The new levels are more interesting to me and are absolutely gorgeous. Studiopolis, visually, is like a Sonic CD level without the garish colors.

The special stages are tough, but that's expected. It's nice to see something different, even if they do remind me of the ones from Sonic CD.

Like Sonic 3&K, the different characters add unique ways to get through the stages, and I enjoy trying them all out.

Having played so little so far, I'll probably have more to talk about when I beat this game 2-3 times, but it's exactly what I was expecting, and I'm pleased.

Unknown?

As I've said earlier, if we get classic stages I'd rather they be heavy reworkings of oddball early Sonic games. A 2D version of a 3D Blast stage, 2D version of a Sonic R stage, Sonic Spinball stage that uses the pinaball here and there, reworked Chaotix stage, game gear and master system games, etc. with more new stages than old.

I feel like Sonic Mania being classic Sonic should stick to pre-Adventure era if there ever to be a Mania 2. Those dudes had 18 years of modern Sonic and Sonic Forces celebrates all that, for better or worse. Therefor Mania should stick to out potbelly Sonic's run.
A platforming stage in Toxic Caves would be amazing!

DarkKyo

The only real thing I have a problem with are the reused zones. I've played so many versions of Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant Zone so many times that Im really feeling the fatigue. The new levels are more interesting to me and are absolutely gorgeous. Studiopolis, visually, is like a Sonic CD level without the garish colors.

I feel like there were so many new and interesting mechanics in Mania's CPZ that it was basically almost a new zone. Besides I could never tire of that music, and the Act 2 theme was sweet.

A platforming stage in Toxic Caves would be amazing!

Yeah, I'd love to see an obscure-ass classic level list

-Sky Base
-Mecha Green Hill
-Sunset Park
-Toxic Caves
-Newtrogic High Zone (Act 1 is Isolated Island, then you would get a playable transition through the hub with dat music and select a Chaotix partner that would behave similar to A.I. Tails. Transition ends with Sonic getting shot off to another Knuckles Chaotix level - likely Botanic Base because dat other music. Finally you transition back to the hub and fight Red Metal Sonic as the boss
let me dream dammit
).

I love this game, but it definitely needs a patch. Almost every time I try to do a time trial the game will lose music after getting a power up (speed shoes or invisibility) and crash after completing the level or restarting.

iavi

Since my 2D Sonic dream scenario just happened, I'm now praying for my 3D Sonic dream scenario.

All the Mania team adding the Utopia team into the mix and fleshing that demo into a full game

Blue Lou

You got shot by the left tentacle in the random death one.

You're right. I've slowed it down here

vt4hG1V.gif

Gartooth

I'm replaying Sonic 3&K right now, and I just want to say I'm so glad Mania avoids making the pinball physics + level design combination piss off the player. Carnival Night Zone makes me want to go insane right now.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I really wish the Switch would accept the Saturn USB controller.

I like the Pro Controller; but put me in the camp that thinks it has a pretty weak D-pad.

Really need a patch to fix this home/sleep button issue on Switch. Just had a moment of not being able to put the Switch into sleep mode, home screen, or get rid of the quick menu for a solid 5 mins. Thats with using the joy con button, touch controls on the quick menu, and the physical power/sleep button.

Top Bottom