• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

bman94

It's funny when people don't know "how to Sonic" the first thing they blame is poor game/level design. The concept for Sonic games are not that complex. Play them however you like. There's a sense of freedom in the gameplay, there's never any strict rules or guidelines. Difficult sections become way less difficult on repeated playthroughs. Speed is a reward for learning, exploring and understanding the levels. It's an old school style game, the more you play it, the better you get at it.

It's funny when people don't know "how to Sonic" the first thing they blame is poor game/level design. The concept for Sonic games are not that complex. Play them however you like. There's a sense of freedom in the gameplay, there's never any strict rules or guidelines. Difficult sections become way less difficult on repeated playthroughs. Speed is a reward for learning, exploring and understanding the levels. It's an old school style game, the more you play it, the better you get at it.

This is exactly right.

chronosic

Hmmm, the monarch zone seemed like an abrupt end to things, and probably the worst boss of the game. I still need to get all the emeralds for the true ending I suppose,but that was kind of disappointing.

No lies detected here. That criticism can rightfully carry weight with 3D Soinc stuff, but issues when playing Mania are usually gonna be user error.

Kalnoky

Isn't Mania mode just the regular game mode? Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry, meant the Mania blue sphere levels. When you get a medal in all the blue sphere levels, you unlock the ability to play them from the Extras menu. In there, you can select to play the 32 original blue sphere levels, or a new, harder set of "Mania" levels.

Okay, the final level can go to hell.

Titanic Monarch isn't bad when you know the layout. But I can understand your frustration, first time I wanted to smash my controller on the ground.

And I did it, I got all the Chaos Emeralds with Sonic, Tails and Knuckles.

This is the first ever Sonic game I've even collected all the emeralds, nonetheless getting them with all three characters.

Guess Who

Banned

Yep. I beat it with 15 lives left and no game overs on my first run, and I consider myself only “decent” at these games. I struggle to imagine how someone could get multiple game overs unless they are just not used to Sonic games or got really unlucky with glitches.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I cant imagine doing the gacha achievement without tails.

If any of the amy dolls suicide bomb it doesnt count.
I somehow managed it has Super Knuckles, but yeah, it's basically impossible if you have Tails with you when playing as Sonic. That was the last trophy I got since you can only do it via Act 2 boss, & you have to restart and replay Act 2 if you fail.

Opa-Pa

Discovered something new while replaying the game as Knuckles last night.

Guess I'm probably the only dumbass who didn't know you can spin dash
Silver Sonic
during the Stardust Speedway Act 2 boss fight to send him flying instead of having to wait and predict his movement each time.

I thought the battle was stupidly slow the first time around lol.

jman2050

Yep. I beat it with 15 lives left and no game overs on my first run, and I consider myself only “decent” at these games. I struggle to imagine how someone could get multiple game overs unless they are just not used to Sonic games or got really unlucky with glitches.

My first run ended with ~45 lives, but that's probably because I got all the Blue Sphere medals on that playthrough. Score lives add up.

Almost every person I've seen online who's played this game while being completely new to it has shown clear and incremental improvement in play even as they game over'd a bunch. People just gotta push through it.

Laieon

Man, I am just not good at this game. I've been stuck on Battery Zone for like 3 days now, just can't get the mechanics of that last boss down. By the time I get to him I usually only have a life maybe 2 left. Still fun, but I never realized how difficult the 2D sonics were.

I'm abysmal with 2D platformers though, they've never really been my thing.

rekameohs

Banned

Silver Sonic
during the Stardust Speedway Act 2 boss fight to send him flying instead of having to wait and predict his movement each time.

Yup, I didn't realize that until my second go 'round, too.

Nia

I powered through Titanic Monarch and beat it. Trial and error really helped I suppose. Now to actually get all the Chaos Emeralds.

I have beat with Sonic and tails with all emeralds and knuckles as well. I'm doing my third run with tails I'm in love with this game, this is to me probably the best Sonic game I love how the quick dash that he does mid jump really fits the momentum of the game. It's just a masterpiece, I feel absolute joy playing this. I hope Sega works with these talents folks more, would love to see a game full with new levels.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yep. I beat it with 15 lives left and no game overs on my first run, and I consider myself only ”decent" at these games. I struggle to imagine how someone could get multiple game overs unless they are just not used to Sonic games or got really unlucky with glitches.

Eh, I'll admit I struggled quite a bit, and I've played all the 2D Genesis games. Granted, it's been probably 10-15 years since I last played a 2D Sonic, period, so I'm rusty as all hell, for sure.

But I mentioned earlier in this thread that overall I found the challenge juuuuust right - I definitely didn't want it to be too easy. But there were a couple spots that gave me trouble. I think CPZ is arguably more difficult than all the other early zones; the OOZ Act II boss gave me a lot of trouble, and Titanic Monarch definitely hit the timer limit a couple times.

I Game Over'd a total of probably ~7 or so times; but all of them were in three spots. I also only finished with 2 or 3 Chaos Emeralds.

//ARCANUM

How the hell has sega still not patched the Nintendo switch home/power button bug? I just had the game become completely unresponsive to the home button / power button. No amount of presses / holding would get it to respond. I had to hard reset the switch. Pretty ridiculous imo.

hzsn724

I've been on a binge of Sonic music since Mania came out, and good christ I forgot just how amazing the scores for these games were.

Sonic 3 Boss Music

Good lord yes. Hearing these tunes revamped is incredible and the best part of the game. My favorite is Lava Reef Zone 1. What's even more interesting is that Michael Jackson may have had a role in creating the music for Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles.

https://youtu.be/J5-X_MY7n3c

RagnarokX

Anyone find anything cool in Debug mode?

Yeah. The biggest thing is in
Lava Reef Act 3 where you can find an unused recreation of Sonic & Knuckles' Hidden Palace including the area where Sonic fought Knuckles complete with glitched-out murals and the area where Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails fall after Eggman steals the master emerald and the teleporter they use to go to Sky Sactuary (pic). You can also see a lot more of the rocket ship Sonic fights Heavy Rider on top of (pic). Seems like they had a lot of ideas planned that they scrapped.

So I had the background music glitch again. No biggie, I'm just replaying through as Knuckles right now. But after another life up the music stopped playing.

The difference this time is when I reached the boss the game froze. So, that kinda sucked.

But the originals weren't without glitches either, and at least this will get patched I'm sure.

Still my favorite Sonic game to date.

ffvorax

Okay, the final level can go to hell.

I hated the first 2 times, but then I got how to play it and it was not so bad... major concern where the damn "black holes", I lost a lot of time when I didn't managed how to use them... :\

But after you master them, it's pretty quick and mostly easy. Played with S&K.

So don't give up, just calm down and try again when You are relaxed, try to take your time to understand better the layout...

Mr Swine

Banned

Silver Sonic

Can you do that as Sonic and Tails too? If so then ugh, wish I did that before, would make it a lot easier next time :/

1upsuper

So, on the Switch version, how do you (all endings spoilers):
trigger the special Knuckles ending image? From my understanding, on the PS4 version, you can get it by either enabling & Knuckles Mode and beating the game on the No Save file, or you can enable & Knuckles Mode and just use the level select on the No Save file. However,
the Switch version global level select is only available from the title screen. I've tried enabling & Knuckles Mode and heading back to the title screen and level selecting,
but that doesn't trigger the end. Is the only way to get that special ending image on the Switch version to play through the whole thing on the No Save file?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It's such a tiny thing, but I wish you got a new life after 50 rings, instead of 100.

100 makes sense in games like Mario where your coin count keeps going up and up. In Sonic you have to do it while not getting hit.

(In other news, I'm still pissed at the fact that I had 99 coins on the train to work this morning, and then I got hit and they all fell in the ocean)

It's actually way easier to abuse rings in this game for extra lives compared to the Genesis games.

- You get a 1-up at 100, 200, and 300 rings each. (This happened only at 100 and 200 before.)
- After getting hit, regaining 100 rings during the same stage gets you another extra life. (This wasn't the case before.)
- The blue ring item makes it easy to abuse the two previous facts.

If you ever manage to get 300+ rings with a blue ring on hand, just intentionally take damage in a room where it's easily to recollect your rings, and that's another 3 instant 1-ups right there.

Alternatively, you could intentionally take damage every single time you gain 100 rings, as you have the opportunity to regain up to 20 of them, which puts you at 20% progress for the next 1-up.

Alienous

So I encountered a game changer.

If you're playing as Sonic & Tails you can press up and the jump button while on the air to get Tails to hover above you. Once you grab his hands you can mash the jump button to fly, and direct your flight.

Just have to be careful not to Drop Dash by holding jump as you land.

So, on the Switch version, how do you (all endings spoilers):
trigger the special Knuckles ending image? From my understanding, on the PS4 version, you can get it by either enabling & Knuckles Mode and beating the game on the No Save file, or you can enable & Knuckles Mode and just use the level select on the No Save file. However,
the Switch version global level select is only available from the title screen. I've tried enabling & Knuckles Mode and heading back to the title screen and level selecting,
but that doesn't trigger the end. Is the only way to get that special ending image on the Switch version to play through the whole thing on the No Save file?
Are you picking Sonic or Tails? It's Knuckles&Knuckles only

Mark1

Sega know this game is doing them well. It's all over their social media.

Do the right thing and make more gems like this. I love this so much. It's tied up with Sonic 3K as my favourite Sonic - and it may take the edge the more I play the levels and see how expansive they are.

Caode

Good lord yes. Hearing these tunes revamped is incredible and the best part of the game. My favorite is Lava Reef Zone 1. What's even more interesting is that Michael Jackson may have had a role in creating the music for Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles.

Yeah, second that with Lava Reef Zone - been going through the entire mania playlist every day since it came out. I do love some Flying Battery Zone too though.

Ferr986

What's even more interesting is that Michael Jackson may have had a role in creating the music for Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles.

He had a role only with Sonic 3.

What's the best way to access/replay the Bonus Stages to farm medals? Any tricks??

Finish the game, then the rings restart and respawn every time you select a stage. There's 2 in like 03 secs on Green Hil act 1

Opa-Pa

Can you do that as Sonic and Tails too? If so then ugh, wish I did that before, would make it a lot easier next time :/

Yeah, it's pretty much the intended way to fight him. Doing it the other way is far too unpredictable and makes it super tedious.

Top Bottom