• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

It seems like a trend with the bosses that once the gimmick "clicks" they become pretty easy.

Like Oil Ocean:
If you just camp in the oil, nothing can hit you except the tentacles throwing balls, just take it slow, take pot shots at Eggman and you can win easily. If you have a flame shield, nothing can hit you at all as long as you stay in the oil

The only reason the spider boss was hard for me is because I thought you had to time your spinning attacks from the poles by looking at the animation for your character and I kept flying in the wrong direction. When all you have to do is push the d-pad in the direction you want to go. Yeah, I'm dumb.

I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THIS WAS AN OPTION!

The only reason the spider boss was hard for me is because I thought you had to time your spinning attacks from the poles by looking at the animation for your character and I kept flying in the wrong direction. When all you have to do is push the d-pad in the direction you want to go. Yeah, I'm dumb.

Next you're probably going to tell me I can move the barrel in Carnival Night in S3&K with the D-pad.

Teknoman

Teknoman don't read this
this is a great post because Hydrocity is literally the next stage

source.gif

Hardest boss for people?

Spoilers:

For me, it's a tie between the Eggman Spider in Flying Battery Zone and Robo-Sonic with his spawning mini-Sonics. Two bosses that just felt real real bad.

Easily titanic monarch act 1
I have no idea how you're supposed to dodge the balls, hit the eye, and dodge the spikes. Then with the gravity crap it slows the fight down even further if you get bad rng a s he spend half the fight out of reach of super knuckles >:[

goldenpp72

I have no idea how you're supposed to dodge the balls, hit the eye, and dodge the spikes. Then with the gravity crap it slows the fight down even further if you get bad rng a s he spend half the fight out of reach of super knuckles >:[

Go to the side, spindash, then jump immediately, you'll hit the boss and ricochet right back to safety. It's extremely simple once you find a pattern. There might be other methods but I cheesed him fast. Eventually when he has less protection you can go time your hits under him, or just keep cheesing.

delta_reg

Although the final stage dragged a bit and there were a little too many orbs I thought it did a good job mixing speed and platforming and providing a little final zone extra challenge without being unfair. It was crazy with all the different routes and directions but I love that about it. I want the final zone to be crazy in that sense. Also the electric theme and music were both pretty awesome imo. I will say the final boss was a little disappointing though, just didn't have an epic feel to it like most of the classic Sonic games did, but I haven't seen the Super Sonic part yet.

Also Oil Ocean was one of my favorites from Sonic 2 so I was really glad to see it return. In my 3 playthroughs the crazy pollution in Act 2 never bothered me much, I found the switches to be close enough it never impacted me much at all. Overall I thought the zone did a good job putting a lot of new routes in and feeling nicely distinct from the other zones in the game. I felt the Act 2 boss isn't that hard if you're patient.

Maybe I'm just too used to Sonic so I didn't feel the same kinda issues as others but that's all imo.

I'm not sure which zone would be my least favorite... probably Green Hill Zone partly cause I'm tired of it and partly I just felt it was a little boring. Lava Reef I felt was designed okay especially Act 2 but I also found it to be lot less atmospheric than it was in S3&K for some reason.

Don't jump towards the eye when the balls are covering a wide area on the ground (and don't attack the eye when they're protecting it, obviously). When they aren't, hit the eye then hold right on the d-pad and you'll clear the landing every time.

Go to the side, spindash, then jump immediately, you'll hit the boss and ricochet right back to safety. It's extremely simple once you find a pattern. There might be other methods but I cheesed him fast. Eventually when he has less protection you can go time your hits under him, or just keep cheesing.

Don't jump towards the eye when the balls are covering a wide area on the ground (and don't attack the eye when they're protecting it, obviously). When they aren't, hit the eye then hold right on the d-pad and you'll clear the landing every time.

I'll try this with tails (does tails have a super form like sonic/knuckles?)

I do feel bad that I cheesed knuckles exclusive bosses with super. Should probably retry those fights legit.

I'll try this with tails (does tails have a super form like sonic/knuckles?)

I do feel bad that I cheesed knuckles exclusive bosses with super. Should probably retry those fights legit.

Oh, you were playing as Knuckles. He actually has a lower jump, so that probably makes that fight a bit trickier.

And yeah, Tails has a Super form as well.

Wait... there are continues in this game? I never got one in my first playthrough, but I just got one after getting a chaos emerald. What triggers it?

Maybe continues are only in no-save mode?

This game has too many lame and/or awful bosses.

I feel the opposite. Most of the bosses I feel are pretty fun and creative. The major outliers for me are
Oil Ocean's Act 2 and Mirage Saloon's Act 1
bosses. Those are the weaksauce.

On the Spider Boss though, it's weird. Had no problem fighting it as Sonic, but with Knuckles there was some weird hit responses, where it would fumble on the ground rather than fly the opposite direction when recieving a pole hit.

LordKasual

Banned
Ur all crazy

the hardest boss was that fucker on the motobug with the flail

Hydrocity was a lot more fun than I had been led to believe.

off the top of my head, i absolutely had the least amount of fun with Hydrocity.

I think the best part about Sonic 3's Hydrocity is that Sonic Team had finally realized that people just don't like being in the damn water

NOT the case in this one

DukeBobby

Hardest boss for people?

Spoilers:

For me, it's a tie between the Eggman Spider in Flying Battery Zone and Robo-Sonic with his spawning mini-Sonics. Two bosses that just felt real real bad.

I've not finished the game yet (just started the final stage), but the only boss that gave me trouble was
Metal Sonic in Stardust Speedway Act 2.

Surprisingly, I had no problems at all with the
Oil Ocean Act 2
boss. I think it only hit me once.

Ahhhhh, but I should probably consider the fact that I had Super Sonic at a certain point, so my perceptions on later bosses are probably skewed.

Real talk: I wished Super Transformations was a separate button in 3K. Still want that now.

delta_reg

One thing I'll say about Mania for me is that I feel like I liked the game more on the second and third playthroughs compared to the first. Just being more familiar with how each boss works helped a lot to enjoy that more, and also taking and seeing all the alternate routes with each character helped me to appreciate the level design in this game. Mania may well have the best level design of any Sonic game imo, and that's quite an achievement.

Neiteio

Make sure to replay the game as Knuckles. It makes Mirage Saloon even better.

Spoiler below for why:

Act 1 is completely different
That's awesome. :-D

I've only been playing as the Sonic & Tails duo so far. Haven't tried any of the characters by themselves, or Knuckles at all.

It really was great. Mirage Saloon is up there as one of my favorite zones in the series.
I'm a longtime Sonic skeptic who's really loving Mania so far, so I'm not a passionate enough fan to have a series-wide ranking. But of the Mania levels, I think Chemical Plant might be one of my favorites so far.

I bet there's a lot to love in Mirage Saloon, but I sprinted past much of it in my rush to the end. Were the bosses in Act 2 some sort of fan service?

I've not finished the game yet (just started the final stage), but the only boss that gave me trouble was
Metal Sonic in Stardust Speedway Act 2.

Surprisingly, I had no problems at all with the
Oil Ocean Act 2
boss. I think it only hit me once.

I didn't have any issues with that one either, although I took the borderline suicidal approach with it.

Hardest boss for people?

Spoilers:

Oil Ocean because of the instakill platforms.
Was the only boss I had real trouble with.

Kinsei

Banned
Hardest boss for people?

Spoilers:

Oil Ocean Act 2. All of the other bosses were incredibly easy IMO.

Shizzlee

Hardest boss for people?

Spoilers:

Metal Sonic for me. I got Super Sonic my first time through the game. The spin dash strat doesn't work as Super Sonic. He bounces the Silver Sonics out of bounds if you try that. I tried until I ran out of rings then died.

SheHateMe

I finally got my CE in tonight and I'm playing and let me just say that the
second
boss?

My wife asked me if I was okay, and I couldn't catch my breath.

Well done.

Sami+

Wait are you serious

Top Bottom