• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

ZeroD

Reading the responses about bosses on here I was really worried but I've just gotten to the 2nd to last zone and I don't really get the complaints honestly.

I think I died max twice on the
oil ocean
boss, the most I've died is three times against the
hydrocity act 2
boss.

Are most people playing here new fans or perhaps haven't played the originals in a long time? It's honestly just felt like second nature playing this game so far.

I can see where the gimmicky boss complaints come from though, but they've been fun, much more involved than in the original games apart from
lava zone act 2
boss, it wasn't really fun or hard. It was kinda just happening.

(Edit) top of the page, whoops. This game is great, it's such fantastic love letter for fans. Highly recommended

Things like this makes me wish they brought this back:

Rage_of_you_childhood.png

i never finished it either

If that zone made it into the game I was hoping that a giant one of those would be the boss.

DVG

All this sonic talk has me wanting to try out the originals for the first time (1-3,K,CD). Whats the best way to play them? How are the xbla ports? That would be most convenient for me.

Guess Who

Banned
Thanks! I intended to play through it multiple times anyway.

By the way, are there any hidden levels to unlock in this game by obtaining specific items,
like the chaos emeralds or silver/gold medals?

Just asking because that would really motivate me to collect everything. XD

The Chaos Emeralds unlock Super Sonic, which basically lets you turn invincible and go faster once you get 50 rings (at the cost of losing one ring per second, and dropping out of Super Sonic status once you're out of rings). They also unlock
an extra final boss to play as Super Sonic

The Blue Sphere stages unlock some hidden extra modes in the game, such as
being able to play with Sonic's movesets from Sonic CD or Sonic 3

All this sonic talk has me wanting to try out the originals for the first time (1-3,K,CD). Whats the best way to play them? How are the xbla ports? That would be most convenient for me.

XBLA port of Sonic CD is great (it's a remaster made with an earlier version of the engine Mania uses), but 1/2/3/K are not. The Steam versions are solid emulations, the iOS/Android versions of 1/2 are the best versions (like the XBLA version of CD, they're remastered using a new engine) and can be played with a controller, and the Wii Virtual Console is also alright.

I do not say this lightly.

The XBLA ports are utter garbage.

Play them on Steam or the Wii Virtual Console if you can. Hopefully Sega comes to their senses and brings these games to Switch/PS4/XB1 soon.

Edit - Oh yeah, the Sonic CD release on XBLA is the exception. It's amazing. This version was developed by Christian Whitehead (the project lead on Sonic Mania). It's the best way to play that game.

Best way is one of the numerous collections from over the years (Mega Collection on Xbox/PS2/Gamecube, Ultimate Genesis Collection on 360/PS3), or Genesis + CRT

muteki

I can't believe my underdog favorite levels
oil ocean and lava reef
made it in, so much fun and especially the latter such awesome music and atmosphere. Bosses were kinda meh though, for the first time now.

Again I'm left wanting more transitions. Going into
oil ocean
was a cool little thing, but nothing after
lava reef
:(. I was also hoping to see more of wat was in the background but no dice.

The last couple heavy bosses haven't been so great. I really enjoyed the first two.

_Malus_

Neo Member
The Chaos Emeralds unlock Super Sonic, which basically lets you turn invincible and go faster once you get 50 rings (at the cost of losing one ring per second, and dropping out of Super Sonic status once you're out of rings). They also unlock
an extra final boss to play as Super Sonic

The Blue Sphere stages unlock some hidden extra modes in the game, such as
being able to play with Sonic's movesets from Sonic CD or Sonic 3

Thanks a lot for your reply! I think that will keep me invested enough in doing multiple playthroughs. :)

13ruce

Banned

Play em in this order: Sonic 1, 2, CD and Finally 3+K. So basically the release order but honestly it does not matter but playing Sonic 1 first is the best the other games are huge improvements over that one level design wise and more.

FSLink

Banned
Best way for Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the Sonic 3 Complete romhack. Actual Sega Genesis + special cart to load the romhack + CRT = bliss

Easier/cheaper methods: Wii with homebrew with 240p or the Mobile Ports (minus Sonic 3&K)

What does getting all perfects on these damn blue spheres get you?

Apparently getting all Gold medals gets you nothing. Most of mine were silver and I have all the unlocks as far as I know.

Just finished the game! Now to do it all over again with the others, or at least get all the Chaos Emeralds.

The levels can be a bit long in the tooth and some of the bosses are a bit too creative for their own good, but overall... Yeah. This game is a winner. Absolutely magnificent.

Sonic Mega Collection for 1-3&K. PSN/XBLA/PC for CD. I genuinely don't know if the Wii virtual console releases of 3 and Knuckles had lock-on (never played them or looked into it) but otherwise those are great options too.

The Ultimate Genesis Collection is mostly good but it doesn't have 3&Knuckles, only the two games separately, which isn't ideal. Sonic 3&Knuckles together is the complete package as it was originally intended, with extra finishing touches that make it definitive.

FSLink

Banned
Is this recommended for people who've never played a Sonic game in their lives or is this just fan service and nostalgic trip

If you like 2D Platformers, play it. It's a great game. Though if you can play Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles first do so since you'll gain some additional appreciation.

13ruce

Banned
Is this recommended for people who've never played a Sonic game in their lives or is this just fan service and nostalgic trip

It's legit good too.
And i have no nostalgia to Classic Sonic at all. But it's still amazing.

So if you like 2d games or platformers big yes.

DVG

I do not say this lightly.

The XBLA ports are utter garbage.

Play them on Steam or the Wii Virtual Console if you can. Hopefully Sega comes to their senses and brings these games to Switch/PS4/XB1 soon.

Edit - Oh yeah, the Sonic CD release on XBLA is the exception. It's amazing. This version was developed by Christian Whitehead (the project lead on Sonic Mania). It's the best way to play that game.

I've heard that before. Why are they considered garbage? Steam is probably my second best option

javadoze

...People really had that much trouble with the O
il
O
cean
boss?

It took me about two to three deaths before I figured out that you could run, then jump towards the head to damage it, and use the momentum to return back to your platform.

Now the L
ava
R
eef
boss, I have no idea what the intended strategy was.

I don't get how this mode works, Does it only work with the no save file or something? Tried with the regular ones and there was no &knuckles to be found
Yeah, looks like all the unlockable stuff is "No Save" mode only.

When you highlight "No Save", you should see a button prompt to set some options (this is where the insta-shield and figure 8 for Sonic are as well).

Teknoman

How exactly can you activate extra moves anyway? I have the shield and peel out unlocked, but it won't activate... well the way it should?
Double tap jump / or hold up plus jump for dash.

Edit: Damn it lol.

Neiteio

World 12 is pretty crazy. O_O

Is it true that once I clear the game, I'll be able to go back and replay any level, including the bosses?

That's what's motivating me (aside from the game being fun). I want to unlock level replay!

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Is it really only 198mb in size?

Wasn't expecting 50 gig blu ray just generally wondered if it's that size or that's just the installer?

Is it really only 198mb in size?

Wasn't expecting 50 gig blu ray just generally wondered if it's that size or that's just the installer?
It might be a little bigger uncompressed, but that'll be in the ballpark of the final number. I'd imagine most of that file size is the music, small 2D sprites and low-fidelity polys for the special stages shouldn't take much space.

(Switch eshop claims 186 MB, so maybe that's the size uncompressed)

Sami+

So after reading all about it... I beat the final stage on my first try and didn't time out lol. Weirdly enough the two stages I timed out in were
FBZ and Hydrocity
. Welp.

Amazing game! Possibly best in the whole series, gotta let it sit a bit.

FSLink

Banned
World 12 is pretty crazy. O_O

Is it true that once I clear the game, I'll be able to go back and replay any level, including the bosses?

That's what's motivating me (aside from the game being fun). I want to unlock level replay!

Yes. There's also a button code to do it early.

brad-t

Any tips on getting Tails to grab me in the air? Can't figure out how to do it reliably at all.

Loving the game a lot even though I barely played Sonic as a kid. It's just filled with surprises and pure joy. You can really feel the dev's passion for the work showing through.

Really wonder how it will affect the future of the franchise, if at all.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hydrocity was a lot more fun than I had been led to believe.

It's fine, but like many have said, it was a lot better in Sonic 3. Act 1 is almost an entirely different thing but not very thrilling. Act 2 for this stage hedges closer to the original, but even that doesn't quite nail how crazy the stage could get with the slides and poles, etc... The flow for the stage in Mania is just a bit off. It's certainly not bad though, but if you are familiar with S3, it just feels like a rough imitation.

I have yet to finish an act with more rings than what's provided in the boss area.

Always lose my cache right away when I'm getting a feel for the boss patterns. 😔

delta_reg

Any tips on getting Tails to grab me in the air? Can't figure out how to do it reliably at all.

Loving the game a lot even though I barely played Sonic as a kid. It's just filled with surprises and pure joy. You can really feel the dev's passion for the work showing through.

Really wonder how it will affect the future of the franchise, if at all.
Try to make sure Tails is standing in the same place as you. Then hold up and press jump three times. It's always a little finicky but if Tails is in the same spot as you and on level ground it works pretty good.

I have yet to finish an act with more rings than what's provided in the boss area.

Always lose my cache right away when I'm getting a feel for the boss patterns. 😔

I always liked getting hit and using the invincibility frames to hit the boss. Makes some of the act 1 bosses die insanely fast though lol

bman94

The game teaches u as you play by showing u hazards and gimmicks that u can use as you play thru a stage

Yet there was a twenty page thread based on how to play a freaking Sonic game. It's a really simple concept, it's not like an RTS or something.

Anyway I think the biggest disappointment for this game (unless it's an unlockable) is the lack of a Sound Test. Like the music is amazing and I would love to just play each track as I do other things. Unless of course they didn't include that to push people into buying the actual soundtrack.

I've heard that before. Why are they considered garbage? Steam is probably my second best option

Lots of emulation issues and horrible input lag. The games simply are not fun to play on the 360/XB1. If they were my only exposure to those games, I would hate the series.

(This doesn't include Sonic CD. It's great on XBLA, however, a lot of people consider it one of the weaker entries in the classic series)

Shadio

Anyway I think the biggest disappointment for this game (unless it's an unlockable) is the lack of a Sound Test. Like the music is amazing and I would love to just play each track as I do other things. Unless of course they didn't include that to push people into buying the actual soundtrack.

It is an unlockable. It'll be named D.A Garden in the extras menu

Also I didn't know if I should put it in a spoiler, but the presence of a spoiler kind of gives it away already, oh well I guess

Top Bottom