• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

iavi

Hydrocity was a lot more fun than I had been led to believe.

I'm feeling that way about a lot of the levels/bosses being compained about.

Flying battery act 2 boss is fantastic imo. The game teaches you the mechanics right before the boss as well with the little dudes with the electric coils. And Hydrocity was fucking great with the bubble mechanic

The only reason the spider boss was hard for me is because I thought you had to time your spinning attacks from the poles by looking at the animation for your character and I kept flying in the wrong direction. When all you have to do is push the d-pad in the direction you want to go. Yeah, I'm dumb.

I didn't know this, now I feel dumb too

OMG.

I did my first playthrough without really using the drop dash. I didn't understand how to use it correctly. I thought you had to hold down while in the air, but that's not the case. You just hold the jump button.

Now that I understand it, I realized it's the greatest thing ever. You can basically use it after any bad jump. It's by far the best way to build momentum in the game. Now I'm doing it constantly, and it makes the game way more fluid. A lot less stop-and-go.

I kind of don't want to play as Tails or Knuckles anymore. They're just going to feel so slow compared to drop dash Sonic.

Soma

ugh fuckin
oil ocean
boss is kicking my ass

it's slightly frustrating how difficult it is to regain your rings if you get hit

Steiner

Banned
On Switch, my Sonic Mania isn't picking up my Pro Controller while in handheld mode. The home button will work, but nothing else. Anyone else experience this?

Kinsei

Banned
On Switch (but not sure it matters), is it saving my game automatically as I proceed? How does the save system work?

The game auto saves your progress after each zone. This means that whenever you get a game over or turn the game off you'll have to restart from act 1 of the zone even if you were on act 2. Chaos emeralds and blue sphere medals are saved when you get them so you don;t have to worry about losing them even if you turn the game off before beating the zone.

Ahhhhh, but I should probably consider the fact that I had Super Sonic at a certain point, so my perceptions on later bosses are probably skewed.

Real talk: I wished Super Transformations was a separate button in 3K. Still want that now.

This is really problematic in a knuckles run since his exclusive acts have sections that require his wall climb ability.

Ristifer

I really enjoyed how
Titanic Monarch
was all over the place. Because, really, through multiple playthroughs, you'll learn the previous zones fairly quickly. But that last one seems like it'll always be a bitch. That's the endgame.

So a couple of tips for bosses I found.

The Metal Sonic Fight as Sonic
Stay to the opposite side of the Mini Metal Sonic and wait for the spin dash then do a drop dash. This allows you to dodge Metals attacks as well as hit the Mini Metal. Doing this I got through the fight without taking a hit.

The Oil Ocean Boss
Stay on one of the far side platforms away from where the laser gun is and sit and wait. You wont be in the oil jumping constantly and you can still see where the gun is aiming. The gun only aims in 2 spots here. Above the platform just duck and it will never hit then at the platform just jump since the distance will give you plenty of time. Then when the orbs show up target them first then hit Robotnik. Robotnik won't attack on his own so without the orbs hes defenseless.

shanafan

The game auto saves your progress after each zone. This means that whenever you get a game over or turn the game off you'll have to restart from act 1 of the zone even if you were on act 2. Chaos emeralds and blue sphere medals are saved when you get them so you don;t have to worry about losing them even if you turn the game off before beating the zone.

Thanks!

RomanceDawn

Ok no hold up...

No freakin' way did they do it! NO FREAKIN' WAY!

I can
play as Sonic and Knuckles or Tails and Knuckles?!

That was my freakin' dream as a 3rd grader! I remember wishing to high heaven that Game Shark would allow me to do such a thing!

Now just to be clear
I can only play & Knuckles in the No Save file right? Also about the Sonic 3 abilities and CD abilities, can I use them in regular saves or are they also no save mode?

What ever the case I am just so absolutely happy that they included the ability to do this! It was dream and gosh darn it they came through when I didn't even ask because I thought it was too ridiculous!

I was at comicon and got a few things signed by the team and I am going to frame and hang the ship out that stuff! I told those guys they were doing God's work and boy have they!

For me this is on the level of Ridley in Smash! It's that good in my mind!

Ok no hold up...

I can

That was my freakin' dream as a 3rd grader! I remember wishing to high heaven that Game Shark would allow me to do such a thing!

Now just to be clear
I can only play & Knuckles in the No Save file right? Also about the Sonic 3 abilities and CD abilities, can I use them in regular saves or are they also no save mode?

What ever the case I am just so absolutely happy that they included the ability to do this! It was dream and gosh darn it they came through when I didn't even ask because I thought it was too ridiculous!

I was at comicon and got a few things signed by the team and I am going to frame and hang the ship out that stuff! I told those guys they were doing God's work and boy have they!

All of those are NoSave only

I just beat the game as Sonic on a no save run and really enjoyed it.

There are a few issues on the final level, but it was overall an enjoyable experience. I think this just beat Sonic and Knuckles as the best game in the series for me.

I only wish you could use the gained abilities you get on a save file. The Super Peel-Out is too good to be reserved for no save games only.

Aki-at

Hardest boss for people?

Spoilers:

For me, it's a tie between the Eggman Spider in Flying Battery Zone and Robo-Sonic with his spawning mini-Sonics. Two bosses that just felt real real bad.

Two bosses that I had the hardest time with.

Studiopolis first act boss because trying to move around while jump was extremely deflect, though I figured out you were meant to roll into the rockets instead.

Oil Ocean second act because losing your rings and not grabbing them before they sink into the oil. That was the tricky party.

Other than that it was relatively easy, I always manage to get 1 ring back.

Griss

The only reason the spider boss was hard for me is because I thought you had to time your spinning attacks from the poles by looking at the animation for your character and I kept flying in the wrong direction. When all you have to do is push the d-pad in the direction you want to go. Yeah, I'm dumb.

GOD. FUCKING. DAMN. IT.

Neiteio

I just ass-blasted the Oil Ocean Act 2 boss. Latched onto his face for 3-4 hits right at the start, ducked under the clawed tentacle, leapt between the bumper tentacles and hit him some more. POW! RIGHT IN THE KISSA!

Also, replaying Oil Ocean a dozen times made me really appreciate its design. Fun levels. But is there a point to burning oil, or does it just look way cool?

RRockman

Banned
So.
Super Tails
form was heavily nerfed.
No more fin funnel flickies
. Guess S3 and K is still the best sonic game after all. :(

Just beat the boss on the first act of the Titanic Zone. Is it just me or does this game do a poor job of communicating just what the fuck is going on with the bosses sometimes?

Berordn

Just beat the boss on the first act of the Titanic Zone. Is it just me or does this game do a poor job of communicating just what the fuck is going on with the bosses sometimes?

To be fair, the hardest part of that fight is ripped directly from Sonic & Knuckles which was also pretty bad at letting you know what was going on.

To be fair, the hardest part of that fight is ripped directly from Sonic & Knuckles which was also pretty bad at letting you know what was going on.

Yeah but in Knuckles the first half of the fight is the same as it is here. But the second phase is weird cuz sometimes you can hit him and sometimes you can't the hit box gets really inconsistent.

J@hranimo

Banned
So I forgot to mention this earlier and thought it was really dumb to not have this obvious in the first place.

To delete a file, hover over it and press Y (Switch), X (XB1) or Square (PS4). Why is this hidden? lol

_Malus_

Neo Member
Just arrived at
Press Garden Zone
and holy shit, I really adore the pixel art and soundtrack in this game!

Since I have never touched a 2D Sonic before, this is all new to me and it has been a pretty great ride so far.

Not sure if I am playing the game right, though. It always feels like I am missing a ton of secrets every level :(

Ok no hold up...

I can

Now just to be clear

For me this is on the level of Ridley in Smash! It's that good in my mind!

You can also play as Knuckles....and Knuckles.

And yes, everything you mentioned can only be used in "No Save" mode.

Aki-at

Seems like you're not the only one. Some of you guys need to play Sonic & Knuckles again, it's always worked using the d-pad! :p

Guess Who

Banned
Not sure if I am playing the game right, though. It always feels like I am missing a ton of secrets every level :(

You are, but that's okay. There's a lot of different paths through a level, and it's not really possible to do them all in one run. Don't worry!

Item Box

Things like this makes me wish they brought this back:

Rage_of_you_childhood.png

i never finished it either

_Malus_

Neo Member
You are, but that's okay. There's a lot of different paths through a level, and it's not really possible to do them all in one run. Don't worry!

Thanks! I intended to play through it multiple times anyway.

By the way, are there any hidden levels to unlock in this game by obtaining specific items,
like the chaos emeralds or silver/gold medals?

Just asking because that would really motivate me to collect everything. XD

You're about to enter the BEST ZONE

6ZqJlXJ.gif

Yeah,
Metallic Madness
is pretty amazing so far with its shall we say layered gimmick. Very DKCR-esque. Is this one of the new zones?

No, but it might as well be new. Stardust Speedway is similar (both are from Sonic CD but unlike the other returning zones these two are basically rebuilt from scratch because the level design in CD is poopy)

GenericUser

I noticed some differences in sonics movement, example:

In the classic games, when you hit an enemy from above and held down the jump button, sonic would perform a bigger jump enabling you to reach higher ground, get away easier and so on. Seemingly gone from mania.

Also when you have the water shield ( that lets you breathe underwater), after you performed the special action ( that lets you bounce on the ground) and you stop that action, sonic will still ( seemingly random) perform an additional lower bounce at the end. Thats really annoying, as this behavior can bring you into serious trouble sometimes.

Top Bottom