• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

RNG

That Angel Island cocktease at the start is so cruel.
imagine playing through an UNBURNED Angel Island.
They should include it as part of a DLC stage set.

Also
PoshHalfCoypu-size_restricted.gif

Jump on the blue rockets.

Yeah I was hoping that Sonic & Co. were going to return to Angel Island later on in the game, but it never happened :(

Guess Who

Banned
What do you mean by HD sprites?

Because this is what I consider HD sprites.

Sonic-2-HD-Alpha-1.png

And Sonic Mania definitely doesn't have that. Though I do hope Taxman's next game looks like this.

Incidentally, Sonic 2 HD's art lead was also the art director on Mania!

Yeah that's an accurate idea of kind of what I was expecting.

Hopefully next time, while I do like retro pixel graphics, there's way too few 2D games with HD assets.

If the pixels really bother you, play in handheld mode and turn on the CRT filter, I use the sharp one. Love how that looks on the Switch screen, pixels are less noticeable too.

Edit: Oh sorry never mind, thought you were playing it on the Switch. Yeah it's supposed to look like that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn, special stage 3 was a jump up from the first two emeralds. I didn't even stand a chance of catching it despite being Mach 3.

Also appreciate the mix up of bosses, i.e. having only a few be the auto-scrolling one instead of all of them like Sonic Advance 2.

Daffy Duck

Hopefully next time, while I do like retro pixel graphics, there's way too few 2D games with HD assets.

If the pixels really bother you, play in handheld mode and turn on the CRT filter, I use the sharp one. Love how that looks on the Switch screen, pixels are less noticeable too.

Edit: Oh sorry never mind, thought you were playing it on the Switch. Yeah it's supposed to look like that.

Thanks everyone, I will rest easy lol. I will also try out some different modes.

I'll carry on feeling stupid too.

Yeah that's the one with the major difficulty spike. Take note of the part in the path where it branches, with some ring boxes to the left and spheres to the right. Go left at that fork; the time you lose by taking the other path is always more costly than its worth.

It's also possible to reach Mach 2 before you reach the Mach Up item, which helps a ton:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tae2HdfVz20#t=16m53s

(Does anyone know if there's a way to select specific Special/Bonus stages on the level select screen, btw?)

Thanks for your advice! Just beat it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Heh, so in Studiopolis Zone 2,
there's letters you can flip over that spell "LOCK ON" & "GENESIS DOES", any others?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Update:

Is there a "Welcome to the next level" bit in there somewhere? :p

Just found this one in Studiopolis 2. :eek:

EDIT:

Heh, so in Studiopolis Zone 2,
there's letters you can flip over that spell "LOCK ON" & "GENESIS DOES", any others?

The one I just quoted above plus "EGGMAN PIRATE TV."

I'll carry on feeling stupid too.

Well you should, for that "worse than Megadrive" remark. :p

The pixel artists for this game gave so many things a really nice face lift.

wrowa

I can't say I like the look of Sonic 2 HD one bit, but I'd love a Sonic game that tried to replicate the art style of Mania's opening and looked similar to the Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap remake or Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero. I imagine this would take way too many resources to pull off, though.

Daffy Duck

It's supposed to look 240p as a continuation of Genesis Sonic. Like you stuck a lost sonic cart into your PS4. This was never advertised as redrawn in any way.

If you like ridiculously smooth re-drawn classics try Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap. It will melt your brain.

I know it wasn't it was just my expectations were sat that way as that's just how it looked in the videos to me, I think I was too blown away by the quality of the gameplay and how much like old sonic it was to actually pay attention to the graphics, still im loving it, played first green hill zone 6 times now thanks to restarts and what not to check the game wasn't a bad install.

I love it.

I'll have to check Wonder Boy out as that's another old game I used to like playing.

Don't worry about it. I'm sure you'll be impressed later on. The levels are gorgeous.

Cant wait to get stuck in.

And oddly my eyes are getting used to the look now and it's just looking better every second I play.

Sixfortyfive

TMZ is probably one of the worst Sonic levels ever

Its only sin to me is that it's just a marathon slog of a stage.

You know it's long in the tooth when they reset the timer for the boss.

And oddly my eyes are getting used to the look now and it's just looking better every second I play.

Use the CRT SHARP filter option if you want to soften the edges a bit and bring the picture more in line for what you'd see on a high-quality SD TV.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just beat the Studiopolis Zone Act 2 boss......that was rather easy....

3 zones completed with 2 emeralds, 6 gold medals, & 4 silvers.

Any list that exists to show you what you get for the medals you collect from Blue Sphere? I got
Super Peelout & Insta-Shield
so far.

Hell yes at Flying Battery Zone being next. There's something so satisfying seeing the climbing animation being so smooth now.

Guess Who

Banned
TMZ is very ambitious, and I love the concept of a
non-linear level where you can do four segments out of order
a lot, but they could stand to shave about two minutes off of it. My first run of act 2 took me 8:03 to get to the boss.

I dont mind the length but the orb gimmick is the shits. Sooo slow and its so heavy trying to move around on it -_-

Eh. The orbs fling Sonic super far, and holding left or right after one catches you will align you properly a in a short amount of time. They didn't feel particularly cumbersome imo

13ruce

Banned
Sonic Mania
& Knuckles & Knuckles

The true
Sonic 3 + K
sequel people always wanted.

trying to beat the game in that mode and it is hilarious especially the opening scene and how dumb the ai acts:p
he (second knuckles) even got some animations during story scenes it's hilarious AF he is laughing while the eggrobo's steal that gem

(mode spoiler so don't click if you have not unlocked those blue sphere stage unlocks)

It kinda sucks you can't use powerups with knuckles, I mean you have three dedicated jump buttons why not reserve one for power ups? Playing as knuckles is more about exploring and gliding around instead of speed.

The Wonderboy remake had both retro pixel and HD versions. That's another approach.

The retro look used existing assets, so I can definitely see that for a classic remake, might be too much work for a Mania 2 tho.

I can't say I like the look of Sonic 2 HD one bit, but I'd love a Sonic game that tried to replicate the art style of Mania's opening and looked similar to the Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap remake or Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero. I imagine this would take way too many resources to pull off, though.

Yeah that game was gorgeous, really wish there were more 2D games like that. If the Wonder Boy developers can pull it off, then so can Sega. It's really puzzling and annoying how both Sega and Nintendo have been treating 2D Sonic and 2D Mario(excluding Sonic Mania obviously).

Sixfortyfive

The
metal sonic boss fight in speed highway zone
its soo stupid. I almost quit the game.

But it was amazing.

It was like the everything-and-the-kitchen-sink compilation of
2D Sonic doppelganger fights
. I didn't even notice that he copped some attacks from
Super Mecha Sonic
until my 2nd run.

a lot, but they could stand to shave about two minutes off of it. My first run of act 2 took me 8:03 to get to the boss.

Yeah, I have to respect the team for trying something new with this zone. It's impossible for me to hate it because of that.

Chao

Still don't understand how the
&knuckles
mode works.

I start a new no save file and the mode is set to on. Then I select Sonic and nothing happens, I just start playing with sonic alone as you would expect. Same with the other characters.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to beat the game first in order to use it?

13ruce

Banned
Still don't understand how the
&knuckles
mode works.

I start a new no save file and the mode is set to on. Then I select Sonic and nothing happens, I just start playing with sonic alone as you would expect. Same with the other characters.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to beat the game first in order to use it?

Do you choose the no save one? Cuz you can only play those special modes in that mode.

Edit: i see you did try that misread the post a bit and hmm that's strange i don't know then cuz i beat the game when i unlocked that.

I still suck at high level blue sphere levels even after all these years.

Luckily all cool unlocks don't require all blue sphere stages to be done.

I suck at em too.

BriGuy

HCZ sucks. There's just nothing redeeming about it here. I played the original version of it on Sonic 3 before posting this, and while it's not my favorite Sonic zone, it's miles ahead of the remix.

13ruce

Banned
Yup it's the no save file, but still don't see any changes when I start my game.

Ah well i dunno for sure then because i unlocked it way after beating the game.

Maybe that might be required.
Did you beat the game with another character already? I only beat it with Sonic and it works fine with all characters.

Sciz

a lot

Man, this is the exact thing about it I can't stand.
Those bits don't have any alternate paths through them, so every single time through that part of the stage it's going to be the same thing, just in whatever order strikes your fancy. If you only had to do two of them that'd be one thing, but the set as a whole is just tedious.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bleh at Flying Battery Zone Act 2's boss. The idea is okay in theory, but it was annoying how I would be so close to landing a hit, but it didn't count.

Also what the heck, did the zone transitions just...stop or something?

Edit: HAH at
"& Knuckles" mode being unlocked.

13ruce

Banned
Bleh at Flying Battery Zone Act 2's boss. The idea is okay in theory, but it was annoying how I would be so close to landing a hit, but it didn't count.

Also what the heck, did the zone transitions just...stop or something?

Edit: HAH at
"& Knuckles" mode being unlocked.

That stage where you are in now sure makes up for that:p believe me it's that good.

Alright, just beat Sonic
not the real ending, though

Now onto Knuckles. Liking GHZ Knuckles so far, it actually serves as sort of a tutorial for Knuckle's unique abilities.

Top Bottom