• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Lynx_7

2017 has been such a tremendous year for games that even Sonic of all franchises managed to deliver and then some. I'll probably give it a try next month, can't really afford it right now.

Finalizer

Got up to Studiopolis before the Switch yelled at me for not charging the thing, thoughts so far:

-Runnin' with my boi Knuckles and taking it reeeeaaaal slooooow. Gotta get them emeralds and medallions yo
-The Switch's d-pad is really throwing me off. I keep doing stupid shit like trying to spindash into an enemy only to casually waltz into him and take a hit, or accidentally turn in a bonus stage and hit a red sphere. I'm sure it just comes down to gitting gud with the system, but I feel like I'm reflexively expecting a middle of the d-pad to orient myself properly.
-Fuck these special stages. Yeah, they're fun, but I'm salty because I can do all the special stages from the previous games first try and now I feel like a shitter having to go through multiple attempts just to get the DAMN CHAOS EMERALD. I might not even get all the emeralds in a single run... The horror!
-More specifically, fuck the pits in special stages. ARGH
-Damn these zones feel big. Probably mostly due to me trying to explore them as thoroughly as possible, but I keep running 8+ minutes by the end of the act. If it weren't for the CPZ2 boss stopping time before the "battle" begins, I'd have been fugged there, heh.
-Oh yeah, fun as fuck. I'm half tempted to start a Sonic run just to explore more of the first two zones.
-Fuck that CPZ2 music is too good!

Wait, are Switches now readily available?

I guess the Best Buys near me just got a shipment. The one really close sold out just before I arrived (I'd checked the site before I left, they sold out in the 15 minute interim it took me to drive over there), but I managed to snag one at a location a bit further out.

SkylineRKR

Yeah Mania isn't 4. A true Sonic 4 should be all new, and should provide some extras not seen before. Now, the special stages, no matter what you think of it, fit those and the drop dash does so too.

Next to all completely new stages some different shields, a new NPC on the loose perhaps.. that would make Sonic 4. Mania is more of a tribute, with some new stages thrown in for measure.

Daffy Duck

Wait a second....I just bought this and loaded it for the first time, I had no intro at all and the graphics don't look like I expected them, is this correct?

It's strange to me, before I bought the game I'd have agreed with you, but now that I've played it? Most zones do enough to differentiate itself from the original that it's not simply a remake, I guess it's like in Mario games when you return to the Mushroom Kingdom or Bowser's Castle the tropes are always (Granted a lot less retread there than here.)

Ah well schematics anyway, at least we can put Sonic 4 behind us.

Oh, I definitely agree with the bolded, but at the same time, the game still leans very heavily on the past. Which is NOT a bad thing for this game, mind you (plus there's obviously tons of new stuff as well). I just don't think "Sonic The Hedgehog 4" would have been the right title. I think "Sonic Mania" is the perfect name for this game.

Neiteio

Pretty much.
Metallic Madness was Eggman's main base in Sonic CD.
Ah, that makes it pretty fitting as the penultimate stage then.
You infiltrate his main base, Metallic Madness, where he assembles his robots, and then you scale the construction site where he's building his latest doomsday weapon, Titanic Monarch.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've beaten the game 5 times now and have an itch to go for a 6th round. That's probably a pretty good sign. Maybe I should just screw around in Debug Mode for an hour to take a peek at everything that I've missed so far.

Man, it really is just like old times.

The only """issue""" I have with Mania right now is that the stages are just so freaking long. I skipped special/bonus stages completely last time and kept a brisk pace for most of the game, but I still clocked in at over 2 hours in the end. That's mostly a good thing, but one of the major reasons why Sonic 1 and Sonic CD are my favorites from the classics is that they can be easily digested in under an hour.

Like I think I'd like a Sonic game more if Sonic and Knuckles had almost completely different campaigns altogether with a shorter length, with stages more tailor-made to their unique abilities instead of having to design some alternate routes within the same stages. I'm probably in the minority on that though.

13ruce

Banned
Wait a second....I just bought this and loaded it for the first time, I had no intro at all and the graphics don't look like I expected them, is this correct?

Wait at the title screen for the intro and put on one of those CRT filters in the options menu looks WAY better.

Daffy Duck

The intro plays if you sit on the title screen. What's wrong with the in-game graphics?

I can't explain it, they are really pixelated.

If I take a screenshot they don't replicate what I actually see on my TV.

But the really weird thing is if I point my camera on my phone at the screen they appear sharp on the screen of my phone.

It doesn't look like the same as the DF analysis video at all, I'm on an OG PS4.

You infiltrate his main base, Metallic Madness, where he assembles his robots, and then you scale the construction site where he's building his latest doomsday weapon, Titanic Monarch.

All while listening to some killer beats and dope ass raps.

Tizoc

Dunno if unknew this but backmin the day if u let a game alone at its opening menu an attract mode will play after a while; same thing here
Also check the options me u for video filters

For a bit more context,
Sonic CD levels take place inside a floating sphere called Little Planet. You can see Little Planet hovering above the previous zone, Lava Reef, in Act 2 at certain points. It would be nice if Sonic had a zone transition to smooth out the progression, though Knuckles inexplicably has one. Titanic Monarch, while not a Sonic CD level, also takes place in Little Planet.

SkylineRKR

Last zone seems to be very much based on

Metropolis zone from Sonic 2.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*gets gold medal on first blue sphere attempt, trophy doesn't pop up*

.......does this mean I have to get gold for all 32 blue sphere levels?

SatAM's robotization is a pretty morbid adaption of the badnik concept, when you think about.

In the games, Eggman enslaves woodland creatures and jams them into his robots as power sources. In SatAM, Robotnik enslaves woodland creatures and turns them into his robots, lol.

Jamming into a robot as a power source can have its own style of morbid.

LFZDCKd.jpg

I keep dying at Studiopolis Zone Act 1 boss. Even had a Time Up. I feel like I'm not getting something about what I'm supposed to do.

By the way love the backgrounds and level design of this zone. This game is so good.

I keep dying at Studiopolis Zone Act 1 boss. Even had a Time Up. I feel like I'm not getting something about what I'm supposed to do.

By the way love the backgrounds and level design of this zone. This game is so good.

Solution:
Attack the rounded blue missiles (preferably by rolling) to hit the boss.

Ferr986

Jump on blue rockets, avoid red ones. Rinse and repeat 4 times.

Beaten like a hard boiled egg :(

Not

Banned
Guys I think I fucking suck at video games

Also, I had to restart in the middle of a level twice so far due to glitches. Only been playing for 2 hours.

Having fun though. Glad to be done with Press Garden.

RiggyRob

Imagine being told 10/15 years ago that some of the best games in 2017 were going to be Crash Bandicoot and Sonic.

This game is goddamn great!

MrBadger

I dislike the idea of
Sonic Mania's story existing to set up Forces instead of being its own thing. Reminds me of when Sega tried to retcon Sonic CD into a Sonic 4 prequel.

But on the other hand, I like the idea of
Classic Sonic being a totally different thing like Paper Mario. I never really liked the idea that he grew up to be Bad Sonic.

Solution:
Attack the rounded blue missiles (preferably by rolling) to hit the boss.

Jump on blue rockets, avoid red ones. Rinse and repeat 4 times.

Beaten like a hard boiled egg :(

Oh that should be very easy. I did realize that you can
blow up the blue ones and that the red ones hurt you, but didn't make the connection that hitting the blue ones damaged the boss.
Thanks!

Seik

Banned
I'd say my tips were:

-Focus on rings more than spheres. You'll naturally collect enough spheres generally because they're hard to miss.

-Some corners can be cut, you might have to jump from 'island' to 'island' to cut them. Jumping can help you turn a little sharper.

-When you hit Mach 3, you want to have enough rings by then to not be worrying about the timer. If you focussed on the rings quickly Mach 3 is where you just want to worry about taking the most efficient route. Ignore all spheres completely and just blaze a route and cut any corner you can safely get over.

Still trying hard, and failing miserably. :lol

I definitely need more training, I'd be able to do it if I could try it over instantly, but replaying parts of a level in-between bonuses fucks me up.

Imagine being told 10/15 years ago that some of the best games in 2017 were going to be Crash Bandicoot and Sonic.

Five of the year's best games are:

Resident Evil
Zelda
Crash
Sonic
Mario (this one's a pretty safe bet)

The 90's are xtremely back

LordKano

Yoooo someone just linked me the OST of the true last boss and made me notice that
you can hear Force's Fist Bump theme at around 0:50
I'm still shaking

I dislike the idea of
Sonic Mania's story existing to set up Forces instead of being its own thing. Reminds me of when Sega tried to retcon Sonic CD into a Sonic 4 prequel.

But on the other hand,
I like the idea of Classic Sonic being a totally different thing like Paper Mario. I never really liked the idea that he grew up to be Bad Sonic.

azLmG_f-maxage-0.gif

The credits for this game are longer than expected. The majority was business/PR/legal people. Kind of really stretching who's involved in actually making this game.
A receptionist was credited for crying out loud! I'm surprised they didn't credit their janitor too.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
For the life of me I can't beat the 5th chaos emerald stage.

Yeah that's the one with the major difficulty spike. Take note of the part in the path where it branches, with some ring boxes to the left and spheres to the right. Go left at that fork; the time you lose by taking the other path is always more costly than its worth.

It's also possible to reach Mach 2 before you reach the Mach Up item, which helps a ton:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tae2HdfVz20#t=16m53s

(Does anyone know if there's a way to select specific Special/Bonus stages on the level select screen, btw?)

13ruce

Banned
Five of the year's best games are:

Resident Evil
Zelda
Crash
Sonic
Mario (this one's a pretty safe bet)

The 90's are xtremely back

+ Splatoon and Metroid (how could you forget about Metroid Samus Returns:( ) yeah Splatoon is not 90s but it got the look and tude of that era for sure.

I was just thinking while playing that what a year this has been to play my favorite Zelda and what is strongly looking to be my favorite Sonic.

If Odyssey becomes my favorite Mario (tall order, but crazy things are happening), then wow. 2017 isn't fucking around.

Top Bottom