• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Of all the sonic 3&K levels why
Flying Battery Zone.

This shit is bringing back flashbacks from the fucking HOURS for weeks I spent trying to beat this shit in the genesis era.

Mother of God.

LordKano

I didn't try it but I guess you can't beat the true last boss with Knuckles or Tails, if the whole
Mania's Sonic is Forces's Classic Sonic
is true, right ?

I didn't try it but I guess you can't beat the true last boss with Knuckles or Tails, if the whole
is true, right ?

Traditionally yes, but I believe you can access the secret last boss with Tails or Knuckles using the level select code.

13ruce

Banned
is true, right ?

You can once you beat the true final boss as sonic just go to level select and change to either Knuckles or Tails and select egg reverie you don't even need 7 emeralds for tails or knuckles just Sonic's.

Aki-at

is true, right ?

You can't and if you
manage to with Knuckles using level select on the Switch you get a joke ending anyway. Now I'm wondering since when was it planned this was part 1 of Sonic Forces hmmmm.

Believe me when I say my game looks worse than sonic 1 on the megadrive.

I think we need some screenshots or video to see what you're talking about...

Of all the sonic 3&K levels why
Flying Battery Zone.

This shit is bringing back flashbacks from the fucking HOURS for weeks I spent trying to beat this shit in the genesis era.

Mother of God.

Flying Battery Zone is the best level in Sonic history though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So uh, I did the trophy requirements for
crossing a bridge in Green Hill with a fire shield
, but the trophy didn't pop up. Was I suppose to do it in Act 1, or something more specific?

Tizoc

That Angel Island cocktease at the start is so cruel.
imagine playing through an UNBURNED Angel Island.
They should include it as part of a DLC stage set.

Also
PoshHalfCoypu-size_restricted.gif

I keep dying at Studiopolis Zone Act 1 boss. Even had a Time Up. I feel like I'm not getting something about what I'm supposed to do.

By the way love the backgrounds and level design of this zone. This game is so good.

Jump on the blue rockets.

Aki-at

So uh, I did the trophy requirements for
crossing a bridge in Green Hill with a fire shield
, but the trophy didn't pop up. Was I suppose to do it in Act 1, or something more specific?

You're meant to burn
the spiked bridges in Act 2.

LordKano

Traditionally yes, but I believe you can access the secret last boss with Tails or Knuckles using the level select code.

You can once you beat the true final boss as sonic just go to level select and change to either Knuckles or Tails and select egg reverie you don't even need 7 emeralds for tails or knuckles just Sonic's.

You can't and if you
manage to with Knuckles using level select on the Switch you get a joke ending anyway. Now I'm wondering since when was it planned this was part 1 of Sonic Forces hmmmm.

I need to try this. This whole thing is incredible.

Ferr986

Mania ending
Watch Infinitedgelord being either another Sonic or the Custom Character from another dimension transformed by the Stone, considering we see the Stone transforming 5 regular Eggrobos into the Hard Boiled Eggs (unless I got the opening wrong).

Daffy Duck

I think we need some screenshots or video to see what you're talking about...

Flying Battery Zone is the best level in Sonic history though.

That's the weird thing, I can't reproduce it on a screenshot or on an off screen shot.

This was from a PNG export from my game to a Facebook, game looks great...

r3NaSrf.jpg

The game does not look like that on my TV. Should it? Sonic and tales are proper pixelated. If you zoom into that image really close you'll get a sense of what I'm talking about with how pixelated the main characters are.

Believe me when I say my game looks worse than sonic 1 on the megadrive.

Make sure your TV's sharpness is turned down and you've disabled any motion clarity "enhancements".

I personally play on a PC monitor instead. Way less input lag that way and no need to screw with settings to get a clean image.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
That's the weird thing, I can't reproduce it on a screenshot or on an off screen shot.

This was from a PNG export from my game to a Facebook, game looks great...

http://i.imgur.com/r3NaSrf.jpg

The game does not look like that on my TV. Should it? Sonic and tales are proper pixelated.

- make sure your console's resolution matches your TV's native resolution
- make sure you don't have any stupid overscan/sharpness/"""enhancement""" options enabled on your TV

13ruce

Banned
Mania ending
Watch Infinitedgelord being either another Sonic or the Custom Character from another dimension transformed by the Stone, considering we see the Stone transforming 5 regular Eggrobos into the Hard Boiled Eggs (unless I got the opening wrong).

Hopefully forces is guilty pleasure like good and got quality stages like Generations. If so then well i don't care as long classic sonic + robotnik transport back after everything is done i am fine with Mania being a prequel to forces. Game is still solid

Daffy Duck

Make sure your TV's sharpness is turned down and you've disabled any motion clarity "enhancements".

I personally play on a PC monitor instead. Way less input lag that way and no need to screw with settings to get a clean image.

- make sure your console's resolution matches your TV's native resolution
- make sure you don't have any stupid overscan/sharpness/"""enhancement""" options enabled on your TV

I'm on a 2012Samsung 1080p TV and resolutions on console and TV match. I don't think I have any of those options enabled.

sonto340

What am I supposed to do for final boss?
The one where I go super sonic
avoid the hard boiled heavy’s attacks and hit him when his sparks are depleted. Do the same for eggman. The hardest part of the boss is that the sparks will not hurt you but the shots they turn into will make you lose rings. Definitely focus on keeping your ring count up between appearances of the two bosses.

What am I supposed to do for final boss?
The one where I go super sonic

I'm sure other people might have some better advice, but I stayed on the ground for almost all of it. Avoid the projectiles, hit the robot, then hit eggman, rinse and repeat.

Stay low and you should get more than enough rings to see out the fight,

I can’t believe what I’m about to say.

But Sonic 4’s implementation of super sonic is vastly superior to Mania’s

I hate that I’m essentially locked out of doing the drop dash on my file that’s cleared. If I decide. Want to jump in and play at say Mirage Saloon Zone then I either have to play through the entire game again, or play without the drop dash which has become essential to my play style at this point.
It’d be completely trivial to have super sonic be on triangle/x/y to solve this. Id love a patch

Interesting. I did enjoy Sonic 4's SS but didn't think of it like that.

==============================================================
On another note, I started to enjoy the final boss fight when I used a strategy to fly for Eggman and stay grounded for the Heavy.

Hopefully forces is guilty pleasure like good and got quality stages like Generations. If so then well i don't care as long classic sonic + robotnik transport back after everything is done i am fine with Mania being a prequel to forces. Game is still solid

Best case scenario with Mania being a prequel to Forces is if Forces acts as a prequel to Mania 2.

13ruce

Banned
I can’t believe what I’m about to say.

But Sonic 4’s implementation of super sonic is vastly superior to Mania’s

I hate that I’m essentially locked out of doing the drop dash on my file that’s cleared. If I decide. Want to jump in and play at say Mirage Saloon Zone then I either have to play through the entire game again, or play without the drop dash which has become essential to my play style at this point.
It’d be completely trivial to have super sonic be on triangle/x/y to solve this. Id love a patch

I think that's gonna be patched the drop dash is a signature move of the game i think the button for super sonic should be the top one of the four or the other unused one or one of the trigger buttons.

Daffy Duck

Should the text be pin sharp on say level names and also when you get chaos emeralds? Even there it's all jaggy.

Xp6SQYC.jpg

Text looks the same here pretty much as my TV.

Were my expectations just too high? I was expecting 1080p sprites....

13ruce

Banned
Best case scenario with Mania being a prequel to Forces is if Forces acts as a prequel to Mania 2.

That would be perfect.
With the game doing so well and being so good recieved it would not surprise me if that happens.
Forces is still some months off from releasing anyway so it's possible

That would be perfect.
With the game doing so well and being so good recieved it would not surprise me if that happens.
Forces is still some months off from releasing anyway so it's possible

I mean, all Forces has to do is end with Sonic getting warped back to his own dimension. Then for Mania 2, the game can open with Sonic thrown out of the Modern dimension and seamlessly landing in the first level via in-game cutscene. It makes too much sense to do that.

Should the text be pin sharp on say level names and also when you get chaos emeralds? Even there it's all jaggy.

Xp6SQYC.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's how it is meant to look. lol

13ruce

Banned
I mean, all Forces has to do is end with Sonic getting warped back to his own dimension. Then for Mania 2, the game can open with Sonic thrown out of the Modern dimension and seamlessly landing in the first level via in-game cutscene. It makes too much sense to do that.

Yeah that's exactly how it should be done very neat.

Guess Who

Banned

Xp6SQYC.jpg

Everything is drawn at 240p to look like a Genesis/Mega Drive game.

What do you mean by HD sprites?

Because this is what I consider HD sprites.

Sonic-2-HD-Alpha-1.png

And Sonic Mania definitely doesn't have that. Though I do hope Taxman's next game looks like this.

Top Bottom