• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania review thread

13ruce

Banned
3/5 is perfectly reasonable, the problem is that 5 star review scales are mostly incompatible with the way Metacritic translates scores.

True but their Zelda review is hilariously crazy. Sometimes it looks like they try to give the lowest review compared to others for clicks.

Is it too early to call this as breaking the Sonic Cycle?

Odd, the thread title doesn't say sonic colours on my screen, yet I seem to have fallen in a timewarp.

Is it possible for me to gift somebody a copy of Sonic Mania on the PS4 if I don't have a PS4 myself?

It's not possible either way. Ps4 doesn't have gifting that I'm aware of. You'd have to buy a download code from some third party (I don't know if this is a thing for mania yet)

Toxi

Banned
First Crash, now Sonic. It's almost like people actually enjoyed the old games and wanted their signature gameplay that's been abandoned in today's market.

ckaneo

Is it too early to call this as breaking the Sonic Cycle?

Yes. This was a celebration anniversary game.

No guarantee we get another. Forces is the big game.

I think Forces will have a horrible self-aware story but it should be like generations was which is widely considered a good game.

I really want a high budget sonic adventure 3, but if they continue a mania series and a modern style series(without classic sonic) I think we can say the sonic series is broken.

Banned
Guess who's back? Back again? Sonic's back. Tell a friend.

Guess who's back? Guess who's back? Guess who's back? Guess who's back?

Nanananananana
Nananananana

I've created a monster
Cause nobody wants to see Forces no more
They want Mania, forces is chopped liver

Mman235

Man it's like the whole "Crash was never good" shit posts all over again.

Only liking the 2D Sonics is not "Sonic was never good," that's the brigade who actually try to argue that the series was never good ever. On that note I'm pleasantly surprised how little of that is going in the reviews.

Village

First Crash, now Sonic. It's almost like people actually enjoyed the old games and wanted their signature gameplay that's been abandoned in today's market.

Sonic's in a weird position, where they have two versions of this, and they have meerly solved one of those.

Despite that, I am happy about this, i hope that megaman game rumored to be in the works is real

Okay what the fuck is that polygon article? You ran out of lives so you have to restart the stage instead of a checkpoint, and thats bad because it takes less than 10 minutes to get back to where you were??? Sounds like a case of I suck and the game shouldn't punish me marginally for losing all my lives. Like what is supposed to happen when you lose all your lives?

Fun metascore facts:

On Metacritic, Mania (86 on PS4) is the best-reviewed Sonic game since Sonic Advance 2 (83); and third best-reviewed mainline Sonic game at the time of its release (with Adventure 2 on DC at 89 and Advance 1 at 87). It's also the first non-spinoff/non-port Sonic game to get a 80+ MC since Rush (82) in 2005.

On OpenCritic, Sonic Mania's "Mighty" 86 score is the best-reviewed Sonic game on the site since its inception. The previous highest-reviewed Sonic game on the site was Boom: Fire and Ice at a "Weak" 64.

On GameRankings, Mania's 86% score (PS4) makes it the second-best reviewed Sonic game with 10+/20+ reviews, second only to the original DC release of the first Adventure (edging it out by a mere 0.51%). As on Metacritic, it is also the first non-spinoff/non-port Sonic game to get a 80+ score since Rush Adventure (80.15%) in 2007.

Guess Who

Banned
Okay what the fuck is that polygon article? You ran out of lives so you have to restart the stage instead of a checkpoint, and thats bad because it takes less than 10 minutes to get back to where you were??? Sounds like a case of I suck and the game shouldn't punish me marginally for losing all my lives.

classic arthur gies tbh

Toxi

Banned
Only liking the 2D Sonics is not "Sonic was never good," that's the brigade who actually try to argue that the series was never good ever.
"Mario was never good. Yoshi's Island is the only good Mario game."

The anti-Gerstmann

ckaneo

Okay what the fuck is that polygon article? You ran out of lives so you have to restart the stage instead of a checkpoint, and thats bad because it takes less than 10 minutes to get back to where you were??? Sounds like a case of I suck and the game shouldn't punish me marginally for losing all my lives.

Polygon.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
People are so defensive of other Sonic games in here.

Fuck those games. Some of them were good, most of them were middling, some of them were god-awful. And none of them compare to Sonic 2 or S3&K. Let Mania be great. We've been waiting 20 years.

RK128

Or they did because people like those games and they like making them. You wanna be excited for sonic mania? Cool as am I , I hope it makes me happy and I have fun

However, pretending other sonic fans don't exist, or the people making sonic didn't want to make those games in some weird " conspiracy theory " that the """" Fans"'""" only wanted classic sonic is a complete denial of reality. Because lets be real here sonic forces could come out next week, be bad. And if they were to announce Sonic Adventure 3, the fucking week after people would loose their damn minds.

So lets not wonder into the realm of conspiracy, people like and ask for different sonic games. And the people who make sonic like to make different sonic games ( sometimes to the detriment ) . So lets pull that back a bit.

Sonic mania's good. Great. People was asking for it, i'm one of them. I want them to make different types of sonic games instead of mashing them into one. Lets leave it at that. Its a good game folks are happy, they wanted it.

Yep. Sonic needs a variety of games in order to make everyone happy, not unlike the Mario series and it's many, many spin-offs and sub-series (Mario & Luigi, Yoshi's Island, NSMB, 3D Mario, etc).

And let's not pretend the Classic Era was all roses either. That era of Sonic had a few stinkers (Sonic Blast on Game Gear and even though the soundtrack is amazing, Sonic R wasn't the best racing game ever made), just like how the Adventure and Modern Era had their messy games.

Sonic just needs to have a clear, focused direction. Mania shows that the Classic side of things clearly has their stuff together. Forces will either prove or disprove Sonic Team proper having their stuff together regarding Modern Sonic's future. What happens after that point, is entirely up to SEGA.

Nick_C

First thing that I thought. Over-design can make or break a game for me. I really dig games like Isaac and Gungeon, Hollow Knight, etc. As long as the gameplay loop is tight, I'm on board.

Also, that Jim Sterling pull quote...

Been waiting for a great Sonic game since the Dreamcast era. Definitely grabbing this for Switch.

RK128

I will forever maintain that Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is a classic video game

I always have a soft spot for that one, even though I hate the treasure hunting stages from time to time. The later ones (the two space ones....UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH X() are a huge pain in the butt but most of them are largely harmless...though a working emerald radar would have been nice :l.

The speed stages were awesome and the shooting stages are good enough. I loved the MP modes though, as me and my friends had fun running through them :D.

ckaneo

The battle mode is hilarious fun, though Amy and Metal Sonic are both horrendously overpowered.
Yeah, if we were playing competitively you had to use sonic/shadow

But spin dash was actually faster than metal sonic and you would have to ring block amy as much as possible.

13ruce

Banned
I never played any of the Sonic adventure games is 2 worth a buy? Still own a wii + gc controllers or is the battle version also on ps3 or 4.

Vidal

No press, but in Australia, so I already finished the game on the Switch.

Looks great, can use scanlines or clean. Plays great even with the Switch "d-pad". It gets a bit chaotic sometimes (no pun intended, but I'll take that).

Must buy.

Yukinari

I never played any of the Sonic adventure games is 2 worth a buy? Still own a wii or is the battle cersion also on ps3 or 4.

I would say that youll enjoy at least 1/3rd of SA2 because Sonic and Shadow still have great levels.

YMMV on the rest of the game

Village

Sonic just needs to have a clear, focused direction.

I've said similar things in the past, but I actually feel like they need to do the opposite. Or rather, the most focus direction they could go in is a bunch of different directions. I don't think you can focus sonic at this point...and I think that's ok.

I just don't think sonic team needs to be making them, I'm at the point where i'm thinking maybe sonic team does brand management and coheson and they shop products, not just games with different characters and stuff out, and people pitch stuff to them. And that's all they do.

So Stop treating sonic like its a singular thing, and treat it like what it is, a bunch of things with a bunch of characters of varing popularity. And use that to your advantage.

I really want this but I also want a physical version. My hope is that it is so wildly successful that they print a retail version after the fact.

RK128

I never played any of the Sonic adventure games is 2 worth a buy? Still own a wii + gc controllers or is the battle version also on ps3 or 4.

The shooting stages are mostly harmless and the MP modes are a lot of fun. The treasure hunting stages though...the early ones are OKAY but as you play through the game, they get progressively more annoying.

More so considering the radar is busted; in the original SA1, it picked up on ALL emeralds in a level at once. In SA2, it picks up one SPECIFIC Emerald shard, you know, for challenge (aka level padding). Again, this is fine early on when levels are smaller but as they get bigger, it's more annoying.

So here is how I view SA2.

Speed Levels: Great
Shooting Levels: Average/Good
Treasure Hunting Levels: Average/Bad

Polygon's review was pretty dumb. Criticising the game for having precise platforming sections smh
Also, the reviews states that the original Sonic didnt have continues, um what?

Thabass

The shooting stages are mostly harmless and the MP modes are a lot of fun. The treasure hunting stages though...the early ones are OKAY but as you play through the game, they get progressively more annoying.

More so considering the radar is busted; in the original SA1, it picked up on ALL emeralds in a level at once. In SA2, it picks up one SPECIFIC Emerald shard, you know, for challenge (aka level padding). Again, this is fine early on when levels are smaller but as they get bigger, it's more annoying.

Pretty much this. If only the radar system wasn't complete shit, the treasure hunting levels would be really great. I assume the deal with that system is because they didn't want to make it too easy for the player to find the shards, but also, to ease the player in without any sort of hint.

RK128

I've said similar things in the past, but I actually feel like they need to do the opposite. Or rather, the most focus direction they could go in is a bunch of different directions. I don't think you can focus sonic at this point...and I think that's ok.

I just don't think sonic team needs to be making them, I'm at the point where i'm thinking maybe sonic team does brand management and coheson and they shop products, not just games with different characters and stuff out, and people pitch stuff to them. And that's all they do.

So Stop treating sonic like its a singular thing, and treat it like what it is, a bunch of things with a bunch of characters of varing popularity. And use that to your advantage.

The idea of 'Comcept' is to pitch game ideas and let others develop the games. If Sonic Team took up that 'idea' with minor supervision roles (not unlike what happened with Mania), the series could make everyone happy.

Like, imagine four teams working on Sonic titles.
- Taxman/Stealth/ProgodaWest Games: Classic Sonic Team
- Sonic Team: Mainline Sonic Titles (every 3-4 Years)
- Sumo Digital: SEGA Cross Over Spin-Off Projects
- Insomniac Games, Inti-Creates and/or Platinum Games: Character-Focused Spin-offs using Extended Sonic Universe

13ruce

Banned
I would say that youll enjoy at least 1/3rd of SA2 because Sonic and Shadow still have great levels.

YMMV on the rest of the game

I see thanks, guess i will just pick up both games up someday and just try em out can't hurt:p it's not like they are expensive or rare to get anyway.

Top Bottom