• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania review thread

RK128

The SA2 Chao Garden doesn't get nearly enough love, it's one of the better parts of the game.

Is it wrong that it's one of my least favorite parts of the game :(? I mean, I get WHY so many people love the Chao Garden, but the mode never appealed to me much. I do see why it's so good though; a oddly high amount of depth the raising and mini-game mechanics.

LordKasual

Banned
Polygon really are a miserable set of bastards.

1qDvIfX.jpg

fetus8

Cool :)

I don't see any digital codes for the PS4 version of Sonic Mania on Amazon UK. Do you think the code from Amazon US will be playable on a UK system?

I honestly don't know if the US Code would work with a UK System, I kind of doubt it. The digital codes might not be up yet since the game doesn't release til 8/15.

ckaneo

Is it wrong that it's one of my least favorite parts of the game :(? I mean, I get WHY so many people love the Chao Garden, but the mode never appealed to me much. I do see why it's so good though; a oddly high amount of depth the raising and mini-game mechanics.

They put so much effort into it, I love it. Kinda shocked they never made a spinoff.

Games were so different back then cause now for sure it would be full of microtransactions and dlc

jman2050

Nah it's not for everyone. I do think that some people don't really approach it the way its meant to be played. Chao Garden isn't some big continuous block of gameplay where you're expected to be around all the time, it's meant as frequent "intermissions" while you play through the rest of the game. This aspect of it doesn't really shine until you start going for emblems and A-ranks. I think there's something positive to be said about breaking up the monotony of trying and retrying stages over and over again with the change of pace the chao garden provides.

ckaneo

Glad its being reviewed well across the board. I wonder which would have better reviews overall this or Sonic Forces...

Sonic forces is limiting themselves with the trash story we already know is included. Plus sonics friends never stop talking.

However, ive seen no/few gameplay complaints. So at least we know what to expect

MetalSlug

I honestly don't know if the US Code would work with a UK System, I kind of doubt it. The digital codes might not be up yet since the game doesn't release til 8/15.

Yeah I only see a few games with codes on Amazon UK. I will wait until the 15th and hopefully they will have one for Sonic mania (since it's digital only)

Thanks for the help :)

Gartooth

I really can't believe I'm going to be playing a new classic Sonic tomorrow! I took a couple glances at spoilers and the game looks like a labor of love to everything Sonic was from the pre-Adventure era. I appreciate we didn't get classicfied Shadow or anything dumped in.
They can add Blaze though!

Watched a video and it looks cool. I don't know if there was bad sound editing but the constant sound effect of Sonic and Tails jumping annoyed the shit out of me.

Ferr986

It is really wrong :mad:

The idea of 'Comcept' is to pitch game ideas and let others develop the games. If Sonic Team took up that 'idea' with minor supervision roles (not unlike what happened with Mania), the series could make everyone happy.

Like, imagine four teams working on Sonic titles.
- Taxman/Stealth/ProgodaWest Games: Classic Sonic Team
- Sonic Team: Mainline Sonic Titles (every 3-4 Years)
- Sumo Digital: SEGA Cross Over Spin-Off Projects
- Insomniac Games, Inti-Creates and/or Platinum Games: Character-Focused Spin-offs using Extended Sonic Universe

Remember when Bioware made a Sonic game? That wasn't great.

Sega needs to be very careful with who can make a Sonic game.

Mark1

I agree. Keep it separate, not part of the mainline series.

I'd buy a Chao garden style app for my phone.

jcjimher

Watched a video and it looks cool. I don't know if there was bad sound editing but the constant sound effect of Sonic and Tails jumping annoyed the shit out of me.

Totally agree. With all the cues and inspiration they sem to have gotten form Sonic CD, I wished they had used their jump sound effect instead of the Mega Drive one, which is more jarring to the ear...

Berordn

But it's not like every game Bioware makes is Chronicles levels of bad. Something went wrong, either from the oversight by Sega or elsewhere.

Nintendo hands out their IPs like candy lately, and not every one of those ends up awful. Something weird was happening there.

Heroman

Banned
But it's not like every game Bioware makes is Chronicles levels of bad. Something went wrong, either from the oversight by Sega or elsewhere.

Nintendo hands out their IPs like candy lately, and not every one of those ends up awful. Something weird was happening there.
One has much higher standards then the other, and no to mention Nintendo mirco manages the fuck out of stuff

RK128

Well Chronicles pushed me away COMPLETELY from Biowares projects, so their loss :l. Yeah, petty and all that, but Chronicles had no business being as horrid as it was.

Z..

Looking great.

Although I have to say I'm sorely disappointed the fucking bonus stages are still the same old crap. They are bad, they have always been bad, why keep them bad on purpose? -.-'

MrBadger

Jim Sterling's review showed footage of
a certain character who's not had any non-comic appearances since the 90's
and now I'm ridiculously excited how deep the throwbacks go. Time for me to not watch any more reviews or see any more footage until tomorrow

Nicky Ali

Remember when they got ex-Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica and Sucker Punch devs to work on a Sonic game?

We got Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

What an absolute trainwreck

Berordn

One has much higher standards then the other, and no to mention Nintendo mirco manages the fuck out of stuff

Except we're hearing they're very laissez-faire from the developers of Mario x Rabbids, and even Platinum and Vicarious Visions were surprised at how much freedom they had with Nintendo's characters in their titles. Was it deadlines? Too much oversight? Too little oversight? I really want a postmortem on that to see.

MrBadger

Remember when they got ex-Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica and Sucker Punch devs to work on a Sonic game?

What an absolute trainwreck

Fire and Ice was alright. But I don't think anyone really played that one

And I know that was by the Sly Cooper devs

Cool :)

I don't see any digital codes for the PS4 version of Sonic Mania on Amazon UK. Do you think the code from Amazon US will be playable on a UK system?
If you make a US account to redeem it, it will work without any issues.

You don't need to play the game on that account, just have it on your system :)

jman2050

A testament to how terrible Sega is/was that they managed to torpedo that project so badly just on account of being themselves.

Looking great.

Although I have to say I'm sorely disappointed the fucking bonus stages are still the same old crap. They are bad, they have always been bad, why keep them bad on purpose? -.-'
You keep Blue Sphere out of this!

I love that bonus game so much lol

RK128

Note the studios I mention in the final portion.

Insomniac: Known for making quality family-friendly titles. Could make a really great Tails-centeric adventure game using his tools across the Sonic series.

Platinum Games: Perfect fit for a Shadow or Knuckles-focused beat em' up. Just imaging Knuckles fighting a massive Death Egg Robot with a rock version of his SA2 theme playing? Pure gold waiting to happen ;).

Inti-Crates: Good fit for a Metroidvanna styled adventure with Eggman. The evil genius using his Egg Pawns and other Badnicks to explore a large location could be quite fun!

Toxi

Banned

From what I've heard, Sonic Chronicles sucking was mostly due to Bioware focusing on their other projects and putting only a token effort on the game.

Ducktail

It's reviewing well! What a day to be alive.

I'd like to mention I saw some Polygon preview gameplay capture and whoever plays it sucks. I mean, they really suck. If it's the same person reviewing it, I can understand the score.

Top Bottom