• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 or AGAINST |OT| of Huelen in Green-Eyed Heaven

I think you will find the console version will not be that much better than the itouch version. Maybe a little better in graphics but gameplay...well i hope you enjoy playing Sonic 4: The missile Attack Chronicles....... Every 2 seconds is practically homing missile attack.

theultimo

The Aussie ROFL COPTER said:
I think you will find the console version will not be that much better than the itouch version. Maybe a little better in graphics but gameplay...well i hope you enjoy playing Sonic 4: The missile Attack Chronicles....... Every 2 seconds is practically homing missile attack.
Which they have to because pressing down is very hard without tactile feedback. Heck, even a vibration or something. I wasn't expecting a great translation, but seriously, $10 is pushing it too far.

Well all i think is i can play sonic 1 and 2 fine on my touch and ipad and the controls work well. Thier is no room for hominh missile attack in a true sonic sequel. As for level layouts. If you dont do the homing attack, it would be impossible to complete the levels due to design. So much for people hoping for an option where a missile lock attack can be deactivated. And omg at how dodgy the camera angles are when going through loop da loops.....

Well all i think is i can play sonic 1 and 2 fine on my touch and ipad and the controls work well. Thier is no room for hominh missile attack in a true sonic sequel. As for level layouts. If you dont do the homing attack, it would be impossible to complete the levels due to design. So much for people hoping for an option where a missile lock attack can be deactivated. And omg at how dodgy the camera angles are when going through loop da loops.....
Anyone hoping for that was high on their own vapours anyway. Developers aren't going to go back and adjust all the levels so that people who can't fucking let go of the 90s can flip off a gameplay element. That's like asking Nintendo to go back and put in an option to turn off wall-jumping in New Super Mario Bros.

RobbieNick

theultimo said:
Err, you play one level and the whole game unlocks? WTF. iPhone version plays ok on the ipad, but its a seriously easy game. It doesn't have as many pitfalls as Sonic Rush, but I just wish they through some difficulty in it. Oh well, I'll have to see what the 360 one is doing.

Control is like Geo Wars on the iPad, but worse: one buttan and one stick. It looks fugly with the zoom, and with a 3 month lead, why no ipad or iphone 4 support? This is extremely sloppy and I might ask for a refund. If it were priced at $5 it would be fine. $10 is iPad game territory.

I think they finished this version early in the year and said "Okay, this is good enough. Let's just concentrate on the console versions."

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well all i think is i can play sonic 1 and 2 fine on my touch and ipad and the controls work well.
LOL

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RobbieNick said:
I think they finished this version early in the year and said "Okay, this is good enough. Let's just concentrate on the console versions."

:lol Setting yourself up man.

I dont have a problem with adding a new gameplay element aslong as it is in reason, does not get spammed e.g. sonic 4 missile attack, and does not move away from what the gameplay's core should be (sonic unleashed/were wolf mistake). I think inovation for sonic is great, but to much can turn something we love and cherish into something which is unknown and foriegn to original fans. All i am saying is that respect always needs to be shown to the origins of a game, and with Sonic 4, this is not the case.

Ok maybe i was wrong Rez, the controls being good for sonic 1 and 2 was a little bit of an over statement, they are fine, useable, playable, but by any means no where near as good as an physical controller.

The only disservice SEGA did to the customers here was naming the game Sonic the Hedgehog 4. However, from the perspective of a business trying to make money, that wasn't a mistake, either.

It's not a direct sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. We knew that a looooong time ago. There was no way it was ever going to be. Classic Sonic is gone. He's been gone for 16 years. It's time to move on.

theultimo

True it is time to let go of the 'golden years' of sonic and prepare for the 'dark' ages of sonic....
You are 10 years too late. the "dark" sonic started with Shadow the Hedgehog, and for some people, Sonic Adventure.

I agree the dark ages have been around for a bit, but i always did hold a torch for sonic 4, until today....when it was released and i played it....the torch is extinguished, and this roller coaster ride has ended for me.

theultimo said:
You are 10 years too late. the "dark" sonic started with Shadow the Hedgehog, and for some people, Sonic Adventure.

Ironically, "Dark Sonic" is what fans called Shadow before he was publicly named.

True it is time to let go of the 'golden years' of sonic and prepare for the 'dark' ages of sonic....
The 'golden years' ended sixteen years ago. If you're only preparing now, congrats, you're the least timely person I know.

RobbieNick said:
No. Iizuka said that they delayed the game because the tilt functions didn't work as well on console versions as they did on iPhone. This was the result from a focus group test not liking same stages or the tilting as mentioned on TSSZ.

The iPhone was NOT the lead platform. If anything, the 360 was, as that's the version they kept showing off in the gaming shows.

BTW, bad move on Sega to release the worst (early beta) one first.

Someone on this very forum once claimed, I believe, that the game was born as a "2D iPhone Sonic game" and that's what eventually evolved in to the Sonic 4 we have today.

Segata Sanshiro said:
The only disservice SEGA did to the customers here was naming the game Sonic the Hedgehog 4. However, from the perspective of a business trying to make money, that wasn't a mistake, either.

It's not a direct sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. We knew that a looooong time ago. There was no way it was ever going to be. Classic Sonic is gone. He's been gone for 16 years. It's time to move on.

This sums it up perfectly. :)

btkadams

theultimo said:
the dark ages definitely began with sonic adventure. i did really enjoy some of sonic heroes though, but not enough to make up for its awful bugs.

i'm still just as curious to try this on ps3. i'm not as bothered as everyone else is by the homing attack lol.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sega1991 said:
Someone on this very forum once claimed, I believe, that the game was born as a "2D iPhone Sonic game" and that's what eventually evolved in to the Sonic 4 we have today.
I remember that post... but I think it was faulty logic. We already knew that the tilt levels were in there because of iPhone (and potentially sixaxis, Wii, etc), but that one poster then restated that information (which we already knew) and inferred that this meant the whole game was "originally designed around iPhone", or even to say that it was "lead platform". I think this has yet to be proven, and it's probably not true.

It makes more sense that they were going multiplatform from the start.

RobbieNick

Ok maybe i was wrong Rez, the controls being good for sonic 1 and 2 was a little bit of an over statement, they are fine, useable, playable, but by any means no where near as good as an physical controller.

No., I have Sonic 2 on iPhone. It's just as poor if not worse than the virtual D-Pad on Sonic 4. I have a real hard time crossing some gaps and you can forget about even getting 1 Chaos Emerald in the bonus levels.

Sciz

7echnicolor said:
You guys can't honestly believe the iPhone version was the lead version... Please tell me you're joking. :lol
A lot of this game's design decisions make a lot more sense if you assume it started life as "Sonic Classic", intended only for iPhone.

Plus Iizuka said as much, whatever his word is worth.

ShowDog

The minecart level is easily one of the worst things I have EVER played. Everything else is just mediocre. It plays exactly like Sonic Rush, but worse thanks to the viewing area and controls. Also, tilting the camera around loops is awful. Dammit Sega...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sciz said:
A lot of this game's design decisions make a lot more sense if you assume it started life as "Sonic Classic", intended only for iPhone.

Plus Iizuka said as much, whatever his word is worth.
What did he say exactly?

I believe it was simply to explain away the now-cut tilt levels.

I believe it went down like this: In the interest of dollars, it was multiplatform from the start. The next order of business would be to take advantage of unique functions on iPhone, Wii and Sixaxis. They thought it would be neat to include levels that took advantage of the unique features... it would also legitimize its existence on platforms not really suited for it.

Now that the tilt levels have been cut from all but iPhone, it makes sense to spin it as "the tilt levels were because of the iPhone version"... but it's a mistake to draw from that conclusion that Sonic 4, in its entirety, actually started on iPhone.

jambo

The touchArcade review had the most random picture

2hLEh.jpg

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I played Sonic 4 on 360/Wii a great deal at PAX, and I can safely say, after playing the iPhone version, that they are the same game. Entirely.

Also, it's a pretty shitty game, at least in terms of a sequel to the old-school games. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone hoping for a Sonic 2/3-like game. It definitely feels Sonic-Teamed.

Oh, and for the record, anyone complaining about touch controls at this point simply isn't used to them or sucks at them. Sonic 1 and 2 are entirely playable on the iPhone and feel fine. Obviously touch controls aren't as good as the tactile feel of a controller, but they shouldn't really restrict you at all, anymore.

BocoDragon said:
What did he say exactly?

I believe it was simply to explain away the now-cut tilt levels.

I believe it went down like this: In the interest of dollars, it was multiplatform from the start. The next order of business would be to take advantage of unique functions on iPhone, Wii and Sixaxis. They thought it would be neat to include levels that took advantage of the unique features... it would also legitimize its existence on platforms not really suited for it.

Now that the tilt levels have been cut from all but iPhone, it makes sense to spin it as "the tilt levels were because of the iPhone version"... but it's a mistake to draw from that conclusion that Sonic 4, in its entirety, actually started on iPhone.
This, exactly this.

Anyways.. I've been playing the iPhone version for the past hour (I wasn't going to buy it originally but took a leap of faith and bought it anyway)

It's fun.. But it really should have been called something other than Sonic 4. Seriously..

Oh, Splash Hill Zone Act 3 is so much fun. The special stages are a pain in the ass, hopefully they won't be as frustrating on the 360/PS3/Wii version. Also, the graphics on the iPhone version are hideous, I'm looking forward to playing the superior HD version on October 13th. :)

To those on the fence about the iPhone version... Don't buy it, wait for the 360/PS3 and Wii versions.

jman2050

Segata Sanshiro said:

Why move on when I and some people I know have the power to take matters into our own hands? :p

Iknos

Andrex said:
:lol Setting yourself up man.

:lol

Been through 2 Sonic cycles with this one game. When they announced it and then when they delayed it to "fix" it.

The wait for the PSN/XBLA version might be the 3rd! :lol

Segata Sanshiro said:

Sega said that this would be a return to classic Sonic. What you say don't change the fact that they were lying.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It was just meaningless marketing nonsense. Don't feign indignation.

RobbieNick

Dacvak said:
I played Sonic 4 on 360/Wii a great deal at PAX, and I can safely say, after playing the iPhone version, that they are the same game. Entirely.

That's because you were playing the old, E3 build. So in that case, you are correct.

My impressions.

Cons (Start with the bad, end with the good.)

The Virtual D-Pad, while a bit better than the Sonic 2 version, still isn't precise enough for solid platforming. I'm still stuck on LL Act 3 due to the wall coming fast and the virtual D-Pad not working well enough for me to get a quick spindash where I need it. Most of the problems I'm having with the game are due to this.

This is obviously the old build with no improvements made. This version was probably ready to go months ago. Sonic barely ever gets into full speed mode while the final build on the console shows him going into full speed much sooner.

The tilt during the special stages feels delayed and is not 1:1

Why are they giving me all the stages at once instead of letting me progress naturally?

Carnival Street Zone Act 2 is completely pointless and stupid. I mean, okay. I can understand them wanting to make one level like a pinball game, but it's so short and small and you can get the points so fast just by keeping Sonic near the upper left of the stage. Why not make an actual pinball table level? The new Act 2 looks MUCH better.

Not that big on CSZ Act 3 and the stupid cannons either.

There are some spots where the double jump that can thrust you forward is necessary to get by some platforms. When it's not an HA, it's a boost jump.

There are some parts where tilt implementation would make sense, but are not included. Like in LL when the Water drains, or tilting the cannons in CSZ Act 3

No Leaderboards ruins re-playability. (Although, I did beat Rubyeclipse's time on Splash Hill Act 1)

Pros

While I'm not big on the boost jump, I like HA just fine. It's not so instant win. You do have to time it a little or you can get killed.

While the other two acts didn't impress me much. Carnival Street Zone act 1 Was great and had much better pinball physics than I was expecting. With the exception of slowing down a lot when you touch the flippers. Other than that, it was like classic Sonic.

The games not a cakewalk. Mad Gear is tough and the special stages can be quite challenging. Not only are you rotating the maze to get to the chaos emerald, but you have a time limit and have to collect enough rings to open gates. It's a challenge, but not one that feels unfair.

Still dig Lost Labyrinth and Mad Gear as much as when I first saw them.

I thought the Mine Cart level was kinda fun. Not the best level in the game by far, but not a disaster either.

There's an option for total touch control. No tilt. Works okay for the special stages. Not so well for the Mine Cart.

OVERALL: I would be enjoying this game a lot more with a standard D-Pad. There's no real feeling of progression in this version (Something they fixed in the console ones) because all the levels except boss fights and special zones are open to you from the start. That said, there's still some fun to be had here and there. Especially in the later stages.

By iTunes grading, I give it 3 out of 5 stars. I'd wait until there's a sale on it for at least $4.99 before picking it up. If you only get one Sonic 4, pass this version up. The console versions will control much better and have some improvements.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RobbieNick said:
That's because you were playing the old, E3 build. So in that case, you are correct.

It's going to be interesting when this excuse stops working...

7echnicolor said:
You guys can't honestly believe the iPhone version was the lead version... Please tell me you're joking. :lol
I was joking. Believing otherwise is insanity.

Also, I bought it. Since I won't be near a gaming console until January, I'd figure why not splurge on a little platformer, despite hesitant reactions.

It's fun. I've only had time to play the 2 first stages, but I enjoyed what I played. There are many alternate routes from what I saw, which was nice. And what was interesting is that there are indeed "momentum based" areas where your momentum through a particular section may lead you to higher alternate routes. I certainly couldn't reach them if I was going at a slower speed. Make what you will of that. While the homing attack is encouraged in many areas, there are just as many opportunities to bounce on enemies.

The bad so far seems to be the technical polish. Even on the iphone 4 it seems to chug in places. And this definitely does not have retina support... I'm thinking it's a memory limit, but hopefully not, because the game would look much better in full rez. Also, low-poly Sonic is ugly. I'm hoping for a tech patch for this game, because it would really up it as one of the iphone's best. It's still over-priced though.

Don't know if I'll ever double dip with the HD version, although it's tempting considering the visual upgrade. All that said, I had fun and have the urge to play again.

clav

How are the special stages? Are they as atrocious as the leaked videos months ago?

Edit: Nvm, yeah just as atrocious.

Also, :lol at you people who said this was going to be a good game. SEGA made a mistake calling this game Sonic 4, and that set up unrealistic expectations for this game.

SEGA should have axed the 4 and called it Sonic the Hedgehog 2010.

18gneq.png

toucharcade review summery said:
if you're looking for a very fun taste of what a Sonic game should be like on the iPhone, we recommend Sonic 4… Just be fully aware that it will likely leave you unsatisfied with an intense longing for the release of the next episode, and I'm not entirely sure if that's a good thing or not.

:S

_Alkaline_ said:
Surely the bonus stages can't be as bad as Sonic 2's?
sonic 2's special stages are the best thing since sliced bread.

Diablohead said:
:S

sonic 2's special stages are the best thing since sliced bread.

Sonic 2's special stages were generally a boring, inprecise and overly-long chore. They had their moments but they're easily the worst of the bunch.

Sonic 1 did it right. Simple, fun and frustrating.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
_Alkaline_ said:
Sonic 2's special stages were generally a boring, inprecise and overly-long chore. They had their moments but they're easily the worst of the bunch.

Sonic 1 did it right. Simple, fun and frustrating.

Sonic 2 had OK special stages, but I definitely agree that they were weaker than the bonus stages in Sonic 1, Sonic 3&K and Sonic CD.

Iknos said:
Sega said that this would be a return to classic Sonic. What you say don't change the fact that they were lying.
Yes, they lied. Absolutely. But you, and many others, have been complaining non-stop for nearly an entire frigging year about it. It's unhealthy, man. I know you guys are pissed, I know it was shitty that SEGA set up false expectations with a fanbase who are actually famous for setting themselves up with false hope after false hope year after year game after game, but man - you've spent like... 1/78th of your life being upset about Ruby Eclipse telling a lie in a PR.

Your voices have been heard, just like they've been heard before. And just like before, the guys that make the decisions don't give a shit. So what are you going to do? Spend more of your life being upset? Get your hopes up for the next one? Or is this finally when you have the courage and integrity to walk away for good? I know what you'll say, and I know what you'll do, and they're two different things, and that's why you guys are so fucking tragic.

looks nice, but it plays like shit... it might be ok if it wasn't sonic, but because it is sonic (and being named sonic 4) I expect it to play like a sonic game, and it doesn't.

for some reason the people who make sonic games these days think like this- "sonic is really really fast, so lets make a really really fast game"... but it isn't the case, sonic is only fast when you build the momentum and land on enemies, or the on rails parts when you're shot through tunnels and shit.
In Sonic 4 you move way too fast without any effort, and the problem is you're blind most of the time, you don't know what's coming up when flying through the air... that's just part of the problem, but it's my biggest gripe.
other than that it's the stuff sonic shouldn't be able to do, like walk up walls... no need to built momentum or spin dash to get up an steep incline, just walk up it... in the casino level I was walking up walls to get out of half pipes.

the game stinks, it looks great, but it stinks.
if you want a proper sonic game you won't get it here, if you go in with low expectations you might enjoy it.

Top Bottom